Profile for Lector > Reviews

Content by Lector
Top Reviewer Ranking: 208

Lector "JS" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Reflex Nutrition - Protein Coffee - 250ml - Café Latte - Park of 24 Cans
Reflex Nutrition - Protein Coffee - 250ml - Café Latte - Park of 24 Cans

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty protein with a caffeine kick., 16 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a coffee addict, but usually loath cold milky coffees - however, when I was offered 2 tins of this free for review purposes, I was intrigued.

I was even more surprised to find that I enjoyed the taste. I was expecting something tacky and synthetic, but this stuff is smooth and really tasty, even to a hardened espresso addict.

The little tins (about the size of a can of Red Bull) are convenient to carry around, and you can knock one back (er... I mean slowly savour one) secure in the knowledge that it's providing a stimulating 75mg of caffeine (roughly the same as a single shot of espresso), 25mg of protein (about the same as 100g of lean chicken), and zero fat. Not exactly cheap at about £2 per shot, but the bottom line is that I enjoyed my freebies and will be buying more.

Mark: GlossaHouse Illustrated Greek-English New Testament
Mark: GlossaHouse Illustrated Greek-English New Testament
by T. Michael W. Halcomb

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way to read the Greek text of Mark., 16 July 2016
If you are a new student of Koine/NT Greek, this is a wonderful little book to add to your toolbox.

If you're someone who's previously learned some and allowed it to slip (shame on you!) but now wants to take it up again (Yay! Kudos!), this will be a great refresher course to use in connection with a grammar book.

it's the entire text of Mark, presented as a full colour graphic novel. This is attractive in itself, but it also makes it convenient to only read a very small portion of the story at a time, if that's all you can manage. And if you're really stuck, there's an English translation at the bottom of each page. It's in very small print, and this is a GOOD thing, because if you're seriously trying to learn Greek you really don't want to have the English 'in your face'. You probably know that nothing will put the brakes on your learning quite so drastically as an interlinear text, for example.

So, it's nice to have the English available if you're really stuck on a word or phrase, but also nice that it's not too intrusive.

This book is part of the AGROS series from glossahouse.com, which offers a range of NT greek material suitable for all levels.

Highly recommended.

Breville VKJ864 Colour Collection Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Red
Breville VKJ864 Colour Collection Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like this., 16 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I grabbed this item when it was offered to me free for review purposes, because my last kettle (also a Breville) was a constant annoyance. The lid was nuisance, constantly sticking, and the panel to show how much water was left in the kettle was located directly under the handle, making it near-impossible to see.

With this model, it's as if they've fixed all the problems with the other model. My most-preferred improvement is that the transparent panel is on the SIDE of the kettle, is much wider, and best of all, is illuminated when the kettle is on. It's now VERY easy to see how much is left in the kettle.

Apart from that, not much to say. It holds up to 1.7 litres, and boils quickly and quietly. And it does it in style - your taste/decor may vary, but personally I think it looks great in my kitchen

Bottom line: I got this for free, but if something happened to this one, I'd be more than happy to buy an identical model as a replacement.

Salter Electronic Digital LCD Bathroom Weighing Scale Bamboo
Salter Electronic Digital LCD Bathroom Weighing Scale Bamboo

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic, but nice., 15 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are all sorts of bathroom scales available these days, from the cheap and traditional 'analogue' type where you step on and a little circular readout spins round and stops at your weight, to the ultra-techie type that are almost able to tell you what you had for breakfast that morning AND upload all the details to the internet.

These are just a very basic set of scales that do one thing: They tell you your current weight. Not BMI, or any of that stuff. Just your weight. And they don't upload it to your phone, or to the net. And they don't remember your previous reading to show you whether your weight has gone up or down.

So, as I say - a basic no-nonsense set of scales. They tell you your weight, reasonably accurately, and they look good while doing it (or while sitting around doing nothing, for that matter) because of the classy bamboo finish.

You can have the readout in Kg, Lbs or stones and pounds, but the setting to change this is very fiddly, and you're clearly meant to set it to your preference, then leave it alone.

Bottom line? Dare I use the word 'basic' yet again? But for the money I think they're a really nice set of scales for anyone who doesn't want the bells and whistles.

Parker Jotter Portobel Purple Chrome Trim Ball Pen Medium Nib - Gift Boxed
Parker Jotter Portobel Purple Chrome Trim Ball Pen Medium Nib - Gift Boxed

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic Ball-point, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice pen. Not a lovely pen; not a particularly impressive pen; but it does the job and it looks well.

However when I opened the box, my first thought was, "Oh, 'shrink-flation' has come to the world of ball-points too!"

You know what I mean? Shrink-flation is where manufacturers sell stuff in the same size of box, at the same price, but with far fewer chocolates, biscuits, or whatever inside, and hope that you don't notice.

I have another model of this pen that I bought a few years back, and there are changes. They all seem to be cosmetic, but they also seem to be more about penny-pinching than being conscious style decisions. For example, the bottom of this pen (where the 'nib' comes out) is all just the one piece of plastic. On my previous pen, there's a nice little metal band around this section. It looks a bit more classy, and probably gives the pen a bit more protection. But you don't get it on this one.

Anyway, that particular gripe aside, if you want a good ball-point with a 'name' and you don't mind paying a little bit over the odds for that 'name', you could really do a lot worse than this. The all-plastic thingies from the supermarket are considerably cheaper, but this is considerably more stylish (and reliable)

The Hungry Healthy Student Cookbook: More than 200 recipes that are delicious and good for you too (Hungry Student)
by Spruce

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little Cookbook!, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This recipe book is well presented and contains some really quick, easy and affordable meals. In particular, it is great recipe book for vegetarians and those who love fish.

The instructions are clear to help cookery novices and there are many main appetising meals which can be prepared and put on the table within 20 - 30 minutes. However, other main meal recipes take a lot longer to prepare and cook so are not so suitable as everyday meals for busy students. This also applies to the breakfast section where several recipes take 20-35 minutes, at a time when most people are in a rush to get out on time. In reality, people buy their morning muffins rather than bake them fresh!

If buying this book as a gift for a student, it would also be advisable to give them basics such as spices, stock cubes, flour, rice, couscous etc to encourage them to make some of these healthy recipes.

It is a good recipe book but perhaps more suited to people with more time and inclination to cook.

Feather Artist Club SS Razor Japanese Style Shavette (Feather Artist Club SS Razor Japanese Style Shavette)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, 10 July 2016
I have a collection of 'real' straight razors, ranging from a modern top-end Thiers-Issard to (my favourite) a razor that was first in use when Queen Victoria was a slip of a girl. I love them, and I love using them. But the stropping and honing... not so much. So for a while I switched to Shavette Razor (Wood-r5) + Pouch, which used ordinary razor blades, broken in half. I was more than pleased with it and the superb shaves it gave me - but it never felt *quite* like a real razor.

So, after lots of dithering, wondering, reading reviews, and watching YouTube videos, I decided to give this a go. I bought it (not from Amazon) with some misgivings, because it's a lot more expensive than the £7 shavette, but I've not regretted it for a second.

Changing the blade is very quick and easy (actually more so than the shavette), and I'm finding that I get at least ten great shaves per blade. Best of all, it feels and behaves like a 'real' razor, but without all the tedious maintanance and re-sharpening.

Feather Artist Club SS Shavette Black
Feather Artist Club SS Shavette Black
Offered by Gents

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, 10 July 2016

If I could give this more than 5 stars, I would. If I lost mine, I'd instantly be back here to buy a replacement. it's that good..

D'Addario PW-HTK-01 "Humiditrak" Instrument Humidity Tracker
D'Addario PW-HTK-01 "Humiditrak" Instrument Humidity Tracker
Offered by Rich Tone Music

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., 8 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I liked the idea of this - a tiny gizmo that sits in the guitar case and sends my phone warnings about humidity, temperature, or (optionally) unexpected impacts.

It does this via a smartphone app, which was very easy to set up.

The main thing to know about this item is that it ONLY works within Bluetooth range of your phone, (and of course you'll have to keep your phone's Bluetooth permanently on for it to work). This greatly limits its usefulness, IMO. If I'm near enough to just go and open my case and look at my instrument, I can use my phone instead to read the temperature and humidity, but any further away than that and my guitar could be on fire or floating out to sea, and I would be none the wiser. Your phone app will just list temp. and hum.. as 'NA'.

More seriously, I've also tested the unit at temperatures and humidity levels that SHOULD have sent a frantic alert to my phone (you can set ranges in the setting menu) - and nothing happened. Not one of the promised 'push notifications' ever appeared on my phone. I'm not sure why, because, because when I tested for 'impact' (by picking up the Humiditrak and dropping it to the (well-padded) floor, my phone did light up like a Christmas tree.)

Since this item has a large number of positive reviews, it may be that my review copy was faulty, or that the app doesn't work well on my android phone - but I can only write a review based on my personal experience.

So, sorry, not impressed at all.

Feather Artist Club SS Razor - Black (acs-rb)
Feather Artist Club SS Razor - Black (acs-rb)
Offered by Diamond Edge Ltd