Profile for Joao Magalhaes > Reviews

Content by Joao Magalhaes

Joao Magalhaes (Portugal)

Page: 1 | 2
Kitchen Safe - Standard Units (Blue Lid + White Base)
Kitchen Safe - Standard Units (Blue Lid + White Base)
Offered by KitchenSafe

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says and is cool too, 28 Jan. 2015
I bought one of these (only blue lid with the transparent base, not the white one, which seems unavailable right now). I couldn't be happier with it. It does all that it says and indeed there is no way around once it's locked but breaking it.
In my use -- 15-20 openings per day--, batteries last more than two months, I reduced my cigarette consumption to 1/3rd.
Actually I even bought another one. What I really don't understand is why it took until now to make this object.

Unilite torch, Jet Flame Utility Gas lighter. Kitchen Blowtorch. Windproof Turboflame.
Offered by Imago Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, and always ignites at first try, 5 Oct. 2014
Magnificent stuff. My wife loves it. Sturdy, and always ignites at first try.

Kitchen Safe: Time Locking Container (Blue Lid + Clear Base)
Kitchen Safe: Time Locking Container (Blue Lid + Clear Base)
Offered by KitchenSafe

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 5 Oct. 2014
That's that: I love it. It does what it says and moreover it's a fun object to deal with. And no, there's no way around to open it but with a hammer. Not even removing the batteries will do it.

I keep all my cigarettes for the week in it, therefore avoiding "urges". But it can also keep the key to a lock to a bigger container, for example.

Veho VCC-004-ATOM-NPNG Micro Muvi Atom Handsfree Camcorder with Waterproof Case and 4 GB Memory
Offered by Refresh Cartridges

4.0 out of 5 stars Sort of ok, 6 Mar. 2014
Everything nice. But the parcel was quite late. Thanks to the help of the vendor, though, I was able to find it in the "care" of a local courier and get it delivered. The courier said that Royal Mail got the address right in the label but incomplete in the computer system. Go figure.

I was now able to view what I recorded, as I didn't have a computer where I was. Photo quality is rather bleak, comparable to a low end camera or webcam, in spite of the wide file; you may, here and there, be unable to identify people. The movie quality is also similar to low end webcams. I may be more demanding than most, as I've been about photo and video for decades.

So, if you want to have fun at low cost, this does it nicely.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Portugal: The Rough Guide (Rough Guide to Portugal)
Portugal: The Rough Guide (Rough Guide to Portugal)
by Mark Ellingham

4.0 out of 5 stars There is a more recent edition, 15 Sept. 2011
I am commenting on the 2000 edition.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the 2000 edition. Eleven years passed by already. Places are the same, but not prices (which are still in escudos in this edition), and maybe phone numbers, addresses, firms, hotels, restaurants, tourism offices, buses, rail and roads, etc. As an aside on roads, once you leave the major itineraries decent maps are hard to find but in Portugal, and frequently even major itineraries are missing in maps and GPSs (satnav).

The significant stuff is of course still there as it doesn't change places. And the publication date is my reason for the four stars, not 5. I already ordered the newer one and am anxiously looking for it, and will certainly rate it with five; and I have been living here for more than 50 years.

I'm genuinely impressed, fan of the Green Michelin as I have been for years, to find a very impressive guide in English for the first time, although I confess I never looked before. I would only point one thing against: too much detail. Almost everything is there. You are likely to get lost in detail and see lots of banalities, but you certainly will develop your own sense for it. The Michelin star system does help telling apart the important from the common.

Yet, it doesn't get portuguese names for places and things right. But you'll find it out, if you're that attentive.

Summing up, go ahead and buy the latest one. I am recommending it to english speakers who would have a difficulty with the Michelin, without any reservations. Campers like me will appreciate getting a hand on the latest Roteiro Campista (google for it) that the Rough Guide suggest ordering beforehand and be able to take advantage of more than 200 camping places.

Stargazing with Binoculars
Stargazing with Binoculars
by Robin Scagell

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get it, 28 July 2011
For the beginner like me, this had been a helpful book. Most of it deals with choosing binoculars, so I would get the book before buying the binoculars -- although we are very pleased with our choice of the Olympus Binocular 10x50 DPS-1 -- and a tripod adapter, which does make quite a difference! Of course -- for the almost absolute beginner like me -- there is much to see before you even get to use the binoculars on a star field, and much more will pass until you are able to gaze at some objects with understanding. So, you can get the book first, do lots of observations then get to choose your binoculars later.

It covers the sky monthly for both hemispheres, planets, moon and sun observation. Together with the freeware program Stellarium you can easily plan your observation sessions without the need to purchase a star chart or moon chart immediately. We already have had a few very entertaining sessions, and I can already know approximately what time it is during the night by looking out the window. Not in a city. of course...

Portugal (Guides Verts)
Portugal (Guides Verts)
by Michelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't go there without it, 4 Dec. 2010
I know the Guides Verts Michelin for some 45 years now, and I have no problem in telling everybody it's simply the best tourist guide in the world, full stop.

I'm using it to re-visit my own country. It's true that locals are dismayed at not seeing their little local attraction mentioned in the guide -- but yes, it's because it's not worth it! And that's one of the nice things with the Guides: if it's not worth it, it's not even there. True that it rarely mentions things like pre-historic sites, even the very important: that's a known bias. But you wont be wasting your time, and you wont miss an important thing if you only see the "starred" places.

These guides will also feed you and let you sleep by telling you where, how to contact and how much should you expect to spend. It's true the information, when out of the big centers, is frequently too sparse and outdated, but that's what hotel sites such as tripadvisor are there for -- or the local police station.

Add a GPS to it (no, the Guide doesn't have the coordinates), study the guide beforehand, and you can take the most out of your available vacation time. Dont even leave home without it.

Of course it' in French!

Sid Meier's Civilization V
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Is the DVD installable?, 4 Oct. 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I've been playing Civ IV for years, and was expecting even better. It's been hours since I got the DVD, and so far I got nowhere.

I don't want Steam. I paid for the DVD, got a legitimate copy and a serial number, what else is required? Actually, Steam seems not to allow the installation to proceeed from the DVD -- I mean, you do the Steam software installation, then Steam says the game will be ready to play in... 4 hours 30 minutes? And stops if you disconnect from the network? Is this normal? What are the 3 Gb plus of files doing in the DVD? Do I have to pay for excess international traffic every time I want to install Civ V in one of my laptops?

I haven't even been able to play it, and as it goes, I think I might even not waste my time trying to.

Summing up: dont buy anything before it's out and you can get customer reviews. I should know that.

Manual: there's nothing useful in it, unless you count three pages of legal fine print and a serial number.

... UPDATE, some three days later - Ok, I installed it via Steam -- wasting *half* of my monthly international traffic quota (tell me, please, what are these files doing in the DVD I bought?) --, and have been playing it. Nice graphics, and so far no in-game crashes with a setup just above minimum requirements.

On the negative side, the only crashes occur when I try to stop the intro video -- there's a limit to the number of times you can watch the Umbrella Boy listening to his ageing father's dream (*). It crashes with a Unhandled Exception -- which translates as plain good old sloppy programming.

Still on the negative side, it seems Steam checks for the game's installation validity every time the game is started, and requires an Internet connection (*). This is not good at all, and that's not what's promised in the "manual".

There seem to be at least two interesting bugs. If you build a fort in your territory, the AI governing the worker units may have decided that something else should have been done with that tile, and proceeds to destroy it at once, replacing it with something else. So you *will* find that the elite crossbowmen you had nicely tucked in the fort you just built is now in the middle of a cabbage patch doing whatever.

The other bug is about air units. Having played three games into 2050 (all lost, BTW), I haven't seen a single air unit so far! -- mine or anyone else's. Two Mitsubishi Zeros I ordered never showed up; three other assorted (gunship, fighter, bomber) air units did, but when rebasing them and telling them to "do nothing", they promptly vanished, never to be seen again. It seems air warfare is out of fashion in this version.

So, a patch really seems to be required (the first version of Civ 4 also had bugs), but... will it be Steam distributing it? I do fear the worst.

I am not yet quite taking in the ability of the units to just walk on water. It's true that creating transports is boring, but that's life; and this looks like a unit just needs to jump into water and swim to the next continent.

On the positive side -- Contrarily to many, I welcome the hexes and the inability to stack units, which I feel should never existed in the first place. This makes for interesting tactical situations, and for the existence of a real war front and real flanks, and taking the geography (like, tight corners) into account, etc. An exception to this stacking seems to be that preposterous worker unit that stacks under your fort garrison and turns the fort into a farm, presto. I also appreciate the capacity of cities and ranged units to attack naval units, ending their previous impunity. Somewhat nice battle graphics too, but I didn't buy it for the graphics.

Summing up, I still think Civ4 with Beyond The Sword does nicely.

(*) -- Seems there's a workaround, see comments.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2012 3:08 PM BST

What Does It All Mean?: A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy
What Does It All Mean?: A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy
by Thomas Nagel

5.0 out of 5 stars The doorstep into Philosophy, 17 July 2010
For someone who forgot all about philosophy, or who doesn't even know what that is, this is _the_ starting point. It covers many questions in a colloquial manner, although not in depth -- we're just beginning, right? -- and promotes thinking about them and discussing them, which is the real point. I recommended it to many people. If you want a slightly (just slightly) more in-depth book to go with this one, still for beginners, I also do recommend Simon Blackburn's "Think".

The Blackwell Companion to Philosophy (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)
The Blackwell Companion to Philosophy (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)
by Nicholas Bunnin

2.0 out of 5 stars Printing is not too good, 17 July 2010
I bought this as a support for a short philosophy course. My main grievances with it have to do with the printing, and that counts too. The font is rather small for someone needing glasses, and the tight lines spanning across the entire page are hard to read, even for who studied entire medicine textbooks. Two column printing could have been a solution.

It also includes many text boxes with a gray background, and in many cases these have a printing problem that makes them unreadable. They could be done without if they were just about some comment, but they deal with entire subjects not covered in the text. I returned the first I received on that ground, but the replacement book is not much better, the text in the boxes is just barely readable.

Page: 1 | 2