Profile for Gary Hilton > Reviews

Content by Gary Hilton

Gary Hilton "ursinebrute" (Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BBC Radio 2's Sounds Of The 80s
BBC Radio 2's Sounds Of The 80s

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit & Miss, 1 Dec. 2014
I love the 80's. I own several 80's compilation albums so I was really looking forward to this reworking of classic 80's songs bu modern day artists, but the result is a mixed bag. Some are great (Level 42, Sophie Ellis) some suck but most are just OK.
I do agree with another reviewer that many are simply slowed down ballard versions of traditionally upbeat numbers. Listening to Madonna's "Lucky Star" or Whitneys "How will I know" reduced to a drawl is not a good sound.
Worth a listen if you can grab it cheap enough.

AZATOM iRISE 10W Lightning Dock for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5/Nano 7G/Touch 5G
AZATOM iRISE 10W Lightning Dock for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5/Nano 7G/Touch 5G
Offered by 4 COOL TECHNOLOGY

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, clear dock for iPhone 6, 1 Dec. 2014
Since finally upgrading from my trusty old iPhone4 to a new iPhone6, I've been looking for a dock with the smaller lightening connection. I'm not too bothered about listening to the radio or playing music through the speaker, so these features were not high on my list of priorities, but instead I was looking for an alarm clock that I could simply plug my phone into each night without having to remove the case. To this purpose, this dock suits my purpose ideally. The display is big and clear, and the brightness of the LED display has 4 settings so it can be adjusted so it doesn't keep you awake, and it has a dual alarm clock with a choice of radio, iPhone or a buzzer to awaken you.
I don't particulary like the fact that the iPhone is perched on the top of the clock, but it clicks into pace easy enough and at least I don't have to take the case off each time. (It is a very thin offical Apple leather case so if you have a big chucky case it might not fit whilst still in the case).
With a battery back up and easy to use buttons there is little to fault. Maybe a choice of colours woudn't go amiss but for 30 quid I am pleased.

Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black
Bose ® SoundTouch 20 Series II Wi-Fi Music System - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound & quaity, 25 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Bose SoundTouch 20 is a wireless speaker that uses Wi-Fi to receive streaming music from your smartphone, laptop or tablet. As you would expect from a Bose product sound quality is excellent and coupled with minimalistic looks it really looks the part.

To use it, you need to download the app (which is free) and that allows you to stream music from your device. I use an apple iPhone and had no trouble and could use Airplay but there is an 1/8-inch auxiliary input jack, so you can connect to it the old-fashioned way if you prefer.

The SoundTouch system is designed to be used not only as a single wireless speaker system, but also as a multi-room audio solution. There are several speakers currently in the SoundTouch range, and you can configure and control them all through the SoundTouch app. This means you can easily have high quality music in every room of your house.

The speaker quality is fantastic without sounding canned or tinny and I was amazed at the amount of volume it could produce. Much more than room-filling, this speaker absolutely gets loud, without ever distorting or noticeably sacrificing sound quality.

Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Offered by Aqua Reefer

5.0 out of 5 stars No Slowdown with this!, 23 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before using this I have to admit I had't heard of Bitdefender, instead leaving my internet security to more reliable and trusted brand names, however this is really good with no noticeable slowdown and (so far) appears to be working perfectly.
First of all, initial installation was a breeze, and upon loading the first screen didn't seem too fiddly or over complicated. I am using this on Windows 8.1 and there are no problems.
It boasts a wealth of features, but if you prefer, you can install it and forget about it, and leave it to work quietly in the background with a minimum of pop-ups and prompts. As well as the usual stuff (virus protection, firwall, anti-spam etc) it claims "Best Performance for system speed" and it is in this area that it excels. It appears to detects when you are working, playing games, watching films etc and prevents apps from slowing down your system. To date, I have not notcied any slowdown whatsoever and for me this is a big plus.
Finally, it is reasonably priced and has a licence for 3 PC's which I think represents very god value for money. Give it a go, you wont regret it.

Mitre BRZ Academy Goalkeeping gloves - Yellow/Blue/Black - 10
Mitre BRZ Academy Goalkeeping gloves - Yellow/Blue/Black - 10

5.0 out of 5 stars These gloves pack a punch, 23 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My grandson loves these! Light, comfy, and more importantly, they enable him to grip and throw the ball accurately, these are well made and very sturdy. The manufacturers seem to have been extra careful about providing wrist support, and they are particularly supportive in this area. They don't get too warm during a match and are quite breathable.
Another thing to note is that they are very easy to clean. I will have to own them a bit longer before commenting on the durability but so far they look promising.

Tacwise 1038 Hobby 53EL Kit
Tacwise 1038 Hobby 53EL Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little gadget, 11 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nifty little gadget, enabling rapid & accurate stapling. The gun itself feels nice & weighty, whilst being lightweight enough to appeal to everyone for those fast stapling jobs. My wife used this for tacking down some upholstery coming away on some outdoor furniture, whilst my daughter found it handy for tacking a hessian cloth onto a board for some needlepoint/craft work she wanted to frame mount. I personally think it may be restricted to lighter jobs, but it is compact and simple enough to whip out on those casual little jobs around the house.
What I noticed was that when my grandmother borrowed this to re-cover the armrest on a leather armchair, she struggled a bit as the staples did not go fully in and stood proud, however when I tried it and applied greater pressure to the top of the gun, they went fully home so clearly a firm grip and steady hand is needed at times.
Great little stapler gun, but more suited to lightweight jobs favouring hobbyists & casual users.

Mitre Delta V12S Match FIFA Inspected Ball - White/Orange/Black - 5
Mitre Delta V12S Match FIFA Inspected Ball - White/Orange/Black - 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality ball, 11 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How can I review a football? Well it's obviously good quality and seems responsive enough when bounced, kicked etc but ultimately my grandson adores it and apparently it has enough street cred that when he takes it down the park for a kick about, his is the ball all the other kids want to use! 'Nuff said!

Littlest Pet Shop   Style Playset
Littlest Pet Shop Style Playset
Offered by Toptoys2u Limited - WE OFFER COMBINED POSTAGE DISCOUNTS & EXPRESS DELIVERY

3.0 out of 5 stars Initially Good fun, though short lived., 2 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok. First of all they sent the wrong set for me to review! I should have received a larger set with 135 pieces and 3 pets ( or characters) and I received a much smaller "Spa" set with 35 pieces and just 1 pink pet pouch!
That said, my granddaughter had a wonderful time assembling and applying the stickers, and it kept her attention for quite some time.
This is basically a plastic box then you assemble and decorate with stickers and accessories. The backdrop is just a printed card ( disappointing) and the accessories are very small so are fiddly and easily lost, yet the whole thing has charm and the initial set up seemed to prove more entertaining than the playing with it once complete.
Clearly this is an add on Beauty Salon pack, designed the complement the fuller range, but now that her initial interest has waned there is little to entice me to invest in the larger main set.

Puritane E-Cigarette Starter Kit (Nicotine Free)
Puritane E-Cigarette Starter Kit (Nicotine Free)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant alternative to the real thing., 30 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all this kit is surprisingly easy to use. It charges quickly, is simple to fit together, and the cartridges ( or cartomisers ) are pretty straightforward and hassle free. There is no messing about refilling the cartomisers, and the finished "cigarette" feels quite nice & weighty in the hand.
As a smoking experience, the unit is responsive and the resulting vapour is quite pleasant. As a casual/light smoker, I thought I would try these as an alternative and perhaps a stepping stone to quitting altogether. The fact that they are Nicotine Free means that I feel they will never truly help me quit, however as they give you hands something to do I found they did actually go someway to reducing the craving, but I doubt a heavy or frequent smoker would be able to rely on these completely as a total smoking alternative.

Megableu Creepy Hand
Megableu Creepy Hand

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for younger kids!, 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Megableu Creepy Hand (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is basically a modern version of "spin the bottle", but instead of a bottle you have a creepy Adam's family inspired "thing" hand doing the pointing!
Reading some of the other reviews on here, there seems to be several reviewers who experienced problems with their hand, but everything worked fine for me.
The main question I had before I received this was regarding the truth, dare or forfeit nature of the game cards, and if they were suitable for children? Well, yes, they are. To give you a sample here are a few:
Truth: Who in this room has the worst smelly feet?
Dare: Take a pencil between your toes and write your surname
Forfeit: Stand against the wall and imitate Spiderman until your next turn.
Truth: When did you last go to bed without cleaning your teeth?
Dare: Pretend you are a cow
Forfeit: Mime a nursery rhyme.

As you can see these are clearly aimed at children and although the box suggests it is aimed at children 7+ I think early teens and upwards might find the whole thing a bit childish. Nevertheless, there is no denying it went down a storm at my nephews 10th birthday party!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20