Profile for Haughtonomous > Reviews

Haughtonomous "nahaughton"

Kodak Easyshare C713 Digital Camera - Silver (7.0MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.4" LCD
Kodak Easyshare C713 Digital Camera - Silver (7.0MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.4" LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 6 Aug. 2011
I bought this camera for my wife as a present. She's delighted with it, and to be honest her photos are generally as good as if not better than mine taken with my DSLR!

The only downside is the use of two AA batteries. They don't last very long, and the consequent need to carry a spare set of rechargables around is annoying. If I were buying again I would choose a camera with an internal Li battery, but only for that reason.

The Art of Unit Testing: with Examples in .NET
The Art of Unit Testing: with Examples in .NET
by Roy Osherove

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read this, 6 Aug. 2011
This book is now mandatory reading for all my development staff. They all have a copy and are expected to read and apply the wisdom within. Need I say more?

The sections on writing testable code, and how to test 'untestable' (legacy) code have proved invaluable. We now don't write or fix anything without supporting unit tests, and the regression rate of new releases has plunged. In fact when we release code to our formal testers, regression has gone from being a routine expectation to being unexpected and annoying.

Lucene In Action
Lucene In Action
by Erik Hatcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 6 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Lucene In Action (Paperback)
If you ever need to write an indexing/search tool, Lucene is for you. It just makes all the hard stuff so easy, and it's fast too and handles very large data sets. I used it to develop such a product when the company standard, bazillions a year in fees, proprietary product just fell over at what it had to do.

This book also makes a very good job at explaining how to use Lucene, albeit from a Java standpoint, but those using C# will not find the transition much trouble.

Belkin 802.11g Wireless G NoteBook Card
Belkin 802.11g Wireless G NoteBook Card
Offered by RN online

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value, 6 Aug. 2011
Brilliant value for money. I bought this to resuscitate an elderly laptop. Plugged it it, went through the setup procedure, and was away - connected to my home wireless network with no problems at all.

For under a tenner, I was astounded.

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America
The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America
by Bill Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear...., 24 Aug. 2010
I gave a copy of this book to an American acquaintance who had done me a favour, thinking he would share Bryson's sense of humour about his own country. He wasn't amused and has never spoken to me again. Bryson still always cracks me up though.

Is this guy Bryson really American? :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2011 9:51 PM BST

C# Programmer's Cookbook (Pro Developer)
C# Programmer's Cookbook (Pro Developer)
by A. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Dec. 2004
This is probably the most useful post-novice .Net book I have found. Other .Net/C# books tend to concentrate on the nuts and bolts of using C#, but this book takes a very good stab at covering real world issues for which the .Net framework provides direct or indirect support - like how to programmatically download and read an Excel file from a web site, how to send an SMTP email, how to make an object remotable, how to use and release COM objects from .Net and so on. The style is excellent too: state the problem, summarise the solutions, discuss the details. This book provides much useful information and support for a .Net programmer that the impenetrable MSDN/Visual Studio Help makes nearly impossible to find.