Profile for Robin Hewer > Reviews

Content by Robin Hewer

Robin Hewer (Stevenage, Herts, UK)

The Minotaur
The Minotaur
by Barbara Vine

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again, 13 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Minotaur (Paperback)
Another excellent novel from Ruth Rendell writing in her Barbara Vine mode. The story concerns a young Swedish nurse employed to look after a disturbed young man in his family home. Gradually it emerges that his mother and some of his sisters are feeding him heavy medication and hoping he will be sectioned for their own dark reasons. Into this tense atmosphere comes a charismatic artist who toys with the sisters and sets the whole family against each other, ending in bloody violence.

The characters are all detailed and convincing, even those who only feature briefly in the story, and the creepy old house in which the events unfold is highly atmospheric. Despite what the last reviewer says, I did get at least one surprise at the end of the book, but even without a twist in the tale this is an exciting and involving thriller.

Queen Camilla
Queen Camilla
by Sue Townsend

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Queen Camilla (Hardcover)
I found this new Sue Townsend book to be very disappointing. I have enjoyed some of her other books but this one did not make me laugh more than once. I think she used up all the good ideas in her previous book about the Royals, The Queen And I. A big part of this book is about the Royal Family's dogs and I found it all rather childish and silly. Perhaps someone who likes dogs would enjoy it more.

The Water's Lovely
The Water's Lovely
by Ruth Rendell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Water's Lovely (Hardcover)
I found this new Ruth Rendell book tremendously enjoyable. It tells the story of two sisters whose stepfather was drowned when they were young. Now they are adults and one sister is haunted by the belief that the other was responsible for their stepfather's death. The story takes many unexpected twists and turns and kept me entertained throughout. Ruth Rendell has a talent for entering into the minds of disturbed and dangerous individuals which is always convincing.

I did have one small criticism which I admit is very petty. When the death of the stepfather is recounted, the bath in which he drowned is described in some detail. In the same chapter the bath is described once again but this time it is completely different! At first I thought I had been very clever and spotted a future plot twist, something along the lines of False Memory Syndrome. I was quite disappointed when I realised it was just a mistake. However that is really the proofreader's fault, not Ms. Rendell's. It is their job, after all.

This very small error didn't spoil the story in any way, and I would recommend the book very highly, but I thought I would mention it to save other readers from getting confused as I did!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2011 3:36 PM GMT