Profile for Dee > Reviews

Dee

Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset
Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant earphones., 2 Jan. 2015
brilliant. I have used the newer model of these and these are just as good. I bought them as a backup incase the others broke, but they are still working after 1.5 years. the brand is pretty sturdy! sometimes you need to hold the microphone to your mouth if there's a lot of background noise

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 20 Nov. 2013
These stuck very easily to the nail and not came off really easily. They don't have the nicest finish as some of the other decals I have used but these are great for weddings!

Legler "Evening Star" Pendant
Legler "Evening Star" Pendant

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Nov. 2013
This was a very nice piece, its roughly the same price that jewellery shops in New Zealand sell them, but this 1 is bigger and has a brushed metal finish (as opposed to a glossy shiny finish). Bought it as a gift and the recepient loved it!

Maybe a little expensive for sterling silver, but this was for a wedding gift so I didn't want to go for a cheaper option where the stones might fall off, the stone setting looked correct here (but i'm no expert). Its also a shame that it comes without a chain, but I still love this!

Sony MDR-E 818 LP  Headphones
Sony MDR-E 818 LP Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Good earphones but expensive now?, 9 Aug. 2013
I've been using these earphones since 2004, they last about a year or just under in my hands, pretty good wear and tear compared to the other flimsy stuff on the market. I had the older black version of these headfones since 2001 and the left ear still sounds good!

But why has the price increased so much?? I paid £10 before! These same earphones are £35 on some sites too.... any reason? I doubt they are any different.

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, 2 Jan. 2012
I had to read this book after watching the TV series for Game of thrones as I couldn't wait a year to find out what happens next! Now I can say I am so glad I read the book instead of watching it. This novel is absolutely packed with action and suspense and you don't have to wait a week to find out what happens next!

Yes, it was long and slow at the beginning, but this is a requirement when you're telling a story with such a thick and complicated plot line. I was astounded by the sheer vastness and number of characters and mythical creatures and houses and lands and storylines explained in this book. I was even more astounded that I was able to follow the story line without getting too confused and lost along the way! And this was only due to the well paced writing that George R Martin has done so well.

The characters that the story is told through are brilliantly mastered. You can fall in love with the Stark heroes and dire wolves while hating many of the evil Lannisters. But you can also be in 2 minds about some characters like Tyrion Lannister. He brings a different mood to story being an imp that tries to make a difference but is hated by all. Everything the characters feel and do, the readers can live through as well. Martin puts the reader through so many emotions in this story and this short review can't do the novel justice, you really have to read it to find out what I'm talking about.

The epic battles are described in such a realistic and gory way that you really feel like you are part of the action. This novel transports you to another world in a way that very few writers can do. George R Martin is high up in the list of top fantasy writers of all time with the likes of JRR Tolkein and JK Rowling. He is a true genius to come up with such a series.

Regardless of how good this novel is, it does require a certain amount of patience and motivation to complete but once you approach the climax of the novel you will not want to put it down. I finished reading the last 30% of this book in a week. The story was in my mind wherever I went and I couldn't wait to find out who won at the end of it all. It's a story that is definitely worth the effort!

Touch of Power (Avry of Kazan - Book 1) (An Avry of Kazan novel)
Touch of Power (Avry of Kazan - Book 1) (An Avry of Kazan novel)
by Maria V. Snyder

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 31 Dec. 2011
I was apprehensive about reading this novel and through the first few chapters of the story, I felt that this was rightly so. However, as I continued to read the apprehension was replaced by suspense and an inability to put this book down! I think this story has a few flaws to be wary about and may not match the standard of her previous trilogies but it's still a good read. But as mentioned by a revviwer below: Snyder has stuck to what she is best at - a strong female character with a bit of romance. This is definitely a book I would (and have) recommended to others.

At the beginning the story feels as though it is being rushed. It feels as though Snyder is more focused on telling the plot of this story rather than going into detailed descriptions of this world and it's magic. However once the main character starts discovering more about her world and what's affecting it, this rushed feeling decapitates.

One of the best things about this book is the lively group of characters travelling through this world as they keep the story going. The lead male character is someone you can love and hate all within one page. He seems dashing and invincible but Snyder has made sure that his weaknesses are viewable to the reader which I think is great! Often the male characters seem to sweep in and save the day in many sci-fi novels but it's enjoyable to read a plot line that shows the flaws of the strongest characters.

Many of the characters in this story are reminiscent of Snyder's characters in other stories such as Opal and Cog from the Glass trilogy and Inside out respectively. If you liked these characters then you will most probably enjoy this book too. However is you were somewhat annoyed by the Opal characters immaturity and her chatty way of telling the story then you might not enjoy this novel as much. This story has a few lines like "Bitter? Who me?" or "Angry? Who me?" scattered through the first half of the novel which I just glazed over.

One of the problems with this book was that I found the way the main character tells her story to be a little tedious at times. The story was good, don't get me wrong, but the present timeline was interspersed with memories of the main characters past. This is interesting at times, but when you're in the middle of an action scene where everyone is running for the lives it is rather annoying. It somewhat reminded me of the Lost TV series but that had flashbacks at the right times. However this either became bearable or less apparent as the story continued so I would urge readers to give the book a chance.

Overall it feels like this novel is lacking something which the Study trilogy and Glass trilogy had but those trilogies are something difficult to recreate! Nevertheless as the story progressed I enjoyed this book more and more. I love that there is much still unresolved at the end of this story but it does not end on a cliff-hanger. I will definitely pre-order the next book in the series!

Cold Fire: Spiritwalker: Book Two
Cold Fire: Spiritwalker: Book Two
by Kate Elliott

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 18 Dec. 2011
After scrambling through the 1st book in this trilogy, I was very excited to start this story and rightly so. It has the right amount of suspense and action along with enchanting characters you can follow.

The story has many twists that keep the suspense alive and make it a good read. Again like the 1st book in the series the pace is good but there is much more action in this story which stops you from putting the book down (even more). I enjoyed the changes in scenery and the alternative world that Elliott reveals to the reader. The spirit world is described vividly so you can almost taste the magic within it!

Elliott's character selection is good in this book, especially the trolls and the bad characters that you can really hate. However the change seen in the male character, Andevai and his confessions throughout this story are slightly unbelievable. In contrast, the female lead, Cat, develops very well throughout the story and keeps the reader on their toes. The love story within this book is quite frustrating to endure as it is quite predictable yet annoyingly slow. It somewhat takes the focus away from the two rather big plotlines going on in the spirit world and the real world, which was rather disappointing.

All in all the story may have a weak point in some of its characters and their relationships but the brilliant and original storyline makes up for it!

Cold Magic: Spiritwalker: Book One
Cold Magic: Spiritwalker: Book One
by Kate Elliott

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good read, 18 Dec. 2011
I picked this book up after searching for a new trilogy to read all summer and was very happy with my discovery. This book is well paced, if a little slow at the beginning but once the story got going, I couldn't put it down. The characters are enchanting and perhaps the main character Kat is a little annoying at times, but is still very likable. I loved how all the male characters are dashingly good-looking in this book however Elliott's description of Andevai, the male lead, was rather ambiguous to me, although that was probably due to the fact that I read this book so fast. I scrambled through this book and the next and if anything the 2nd book, Cold Fire, is even better. I can't wait for Cold Steel!

Storm Glass (Glass 1)
Storm Glass (Glass 1)
by Maria V. Snyder

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely riveting and fantastic!, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
Having read Snyder's previous study series I was very excited for this trilogy and rightly so. I couldnt disagree more with the 3 star reviews below. If anything this story is non stop thrilling and enjoyable throughout. The author begins the story with action and develops the pace very well throughout the book. There is just the right amount of action, emotion and storyline. If anything I would say it generates alot more suspense than the previous trilogy.

The plot line is brilliant in this book. It is so much thicker than the previous trilogy and makes for a longer read (which I love). The story develops well and Snyder makes a very good attempt at introducing and describing all the key characters without leaving out detailed explanations of Sitia. There are also many ups and downs that you find yourself reading well past your bed time.

The main character, Opal, goes through many phases of change throughout the book and I thought it was fabulous to have this in a story. I don't think characters are ever perfect from beginning to end as people are in real life so this brings an essence of realisticness to the story. There are many points in this story and the rest of the trilogy where you do want to scream at Opal but I think it's all part of how her character grows. Being annoyed at the main characters actions is just another emotion your forced to feel while reading and reading is all about making you feel different emotions!

The thing I love about Snyder's books are her descriptions of magic. Many books (Harry Potter included) use magic as a main part of their story lines but actually fail to say where it comes from and what it feels like. Snyder however has gone into great detail about magic (as have many of my favourite sci-fi authors) and this just makes the experience of reading her books all the more worthwhile. My sister and I really wish there was such a thing as magic after reading this book!

All in all I devoured this book as soon as I got it and purchased the entire trilogy! Its up their with the Harry Potter series but at times I think I enjoy reading Snyder's books much much more! I would recommend this to everyone who loves sci-fi fantasy and in fact I have managed to get 5 other people into this series!

Karate Kid Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010] [Region Free]
Karate Kid Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jackie Chan
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant movie, good quality disc, no damage in transport, 2 Feb. 2011
I loved this movie in the cinema so bought it as an extra, late christmas gift. Delivery took longer than normal (about 1 and a half weeks), but was probably due to christmas rush and weather. The idea of double play is perfect for any1 that hasn't upgraded to blu ray player, but wil do soon. (I haven't checked the dvd playback, but I think it wil be great!) overall a brilliant buy, for a very good price!