Profile for Achyls > Reviews

Content by Achyls

Achyls "N R Farrar" (Glasgow)

Asus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC Nvidia Graphics Card (2GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, DisplayPort, Nvidia 3D Vision Surround Ready, SLI Support)

4.0 out of 5 stars GeForce GTX 660 x 2, 7 Mar. 2013
I bought 2 of these for SLI to replace the GTX 560's I've been using. The first thing I noticed Is how much less power these require compared to the 500's (The 560's needed 2 PCI-E connectors per card where these only require 1 per card). These cards a quite bulky but the main reason for this is cooling; which It does extremely well (FurMark burn-in over 15 minutes didn't get either of the cores above 68°C).

Over-clocking the cards Is rather easy with several pieces of software (My personal favourite Is MSI Afterburner for the Logitech keyboard plug-In customisation) and within 5 minutes you can have the cards tweaked to give better performance than a stock GTX 660ti.

Even at stock speeds 2 of these In SLI are more than enough to run Crysis 3 on Very High (Except AA which was set to MSAA 4X) @ 1920 x 1080 with a smooth 60 FPS. Other games I've tested are Metro 2033, Tomb Raider (The reboot), Arkham City, Far Cry 3, Black Ops 2 and Skyrim. All were set to max settings with the exception of AA which I set to MSAA 4x or similar dependant on the options available. The only one to drop below 60 FPS was Tomb Raider but that Is down to the SLI profile requiring fine tuning from Nvidia. To run any of these games with max AA you would need to spend around £1000 more.

So why a 4 star rating? The packaging! Usually expensive graphics cards (£180 per card) come with lots of padding to ensure they are protected from the clumsy delivery boy, these cards were protected by a piece of folded up cardboard and a plastic film stretched around the card to hold It In place. My cards weren't damaged when they arrived but anyone unlucky enough to have a delivery boy that couldn't care less may not be so fortunate.

Overall these cards are brilliant. They are cheaper than the AMD alternatives, fantastic performance per £ and look nice too.

Be wary though, at 40cm long these cards take up quite a chunk of space.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2013 2:04 PM BST

Plantronics 86050-05 Gamecom 380 Gaming Headset
Plantronics 86050-05 Gamecom 380 Gaming Headset
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for so little cost, 26 Sept. 2012
I've purchased over the last 6 months 5 headsets (Yes, almost 1 a month) off of Amazon. Only 1 of those 5 have been replaced due to breaking, the rest have been replaced due to poor sound quality or discomfort. I almost didn't purchase these based on price and the fact that many others In this price range (£20) have been of poor sound quality but with these that Is not the case at all.

Firstly these are by very comfortable even for me with my big head and rather large ears. They don't sit too tight on my head like other pairs have done and they also fit over my ears unlike previous headsets. Not fitting over my ears fully left me uncomfortable after maybe 50-60 minutes of wearing them and left a gap which allowed noise from other sources to distract and annoy me (When I am gaming I don't want to hear the TV) which was my biggest gripe with other headsets.

The sound quality from these Is almost flawless and without a doubt superior to most other headsets In the same price range. Bass Is deep and punchy even at high volume levels whilst still keeping voice clarity throughout the volume range. This headset uses 2 jack plugs connectors for the headset and the attached microphone.

Instead of having a volume controller In the cable this has 1 located on the left speaker along side a mute microphone button which compared to my previous headsets is fantastic as I used to catch the controller all the time when I changed position.

I would highly recommend these to anyone who wants exceptional sound quality for gaming, listening to music or watching a film.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2013 11:43 AM GMT

TecTake LUXURY OFFICE CHAIR WITH DOUBLE CUSHION
TecTake LUXURY OFFICE CHAIR WITH DOUBLE CUSHION

3.0 out of 5 stars Luxury office chair with wobble, 6 July 2012
I bought this to replace my old chair which was over 2 years old. The padding on my old chair was so worn down when I sat down all I could feel was plastic, not very comfortable. The double cushion design makes the chair very comfortable and hopefully won't wear out as quickly as my old chair.

Initially I was very impressed with the looks of the chair and the ease of building the chair (Instructions not really needed) but like with any purchase I always wait to decide on build quality and after approximately 3 weeks the chair has already developed a wobble. I did a quick check on the screws & bolts to eliminate them as the cause only to find the shaft has excessive play at the base. The wobble isn't that bad really but It does leave you feeling unstable when you initially sit down. I've only had the chair for just over a month so either the build quality is not quality or I got a bad gas lift shaft.

Icybox IB-371StUS2-B External Enclosure for 1 x 3.5-inch SATA HDD
Icybox IB-371StUS2-B External Enclosure for 1 x 3.5-inch SATA HDD

3.0 out of 5 stars Icy Box, 28 Jun. 2012
Initially I was impressed with the Icybox. It came with all the needed cables and even a decent small screwdriver. It works fine using either USB or E-Sata but after 2 days it's already started to develop a problem. The side fan is fine when the box is laid down on it's back, on the stand it's making contact with either the grill cover or the case itself causing it to be anything but silent.