Profile for Abby > Reviews

Content by Abby

Abby "Yabby01"

Page: 1 | 2
Betron YSM1000 Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (With Microphone)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

Joe
Joe
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Joe (DVD)
Brilliant film, but horribly bleak and disturbing.

Chef
Chef
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Chef (DVD)
Th best 'feel-good' film I've seen in a while.

The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure I was going to like this, 30 July 2013
But I did! Even without the storyline, the description and imagination of the circus is truely wonderful. I did on occassion find the movement in time between the chapters a bit confusing, but that's probably just me trying to read too quickly!

Broken Homes (Rivers of London 4)
Broken Homes (Rivers of London 4)
by Ben Aaronovitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form after Whispers Underground, 30 July 2013
I liked Nightingale being a bit more involved in this one and the underlying central plot was pulled together nicely. Rivers 4 has a good pace and ooooooh such a twisty twist at the end! I never saw that coming...

The Quarry
The Quarry

4.0 out of 5 stars Not one of his best, but certainly a bang rather than a whimper, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Quarry (Kindle Edition)
There was always going to be some element of biting the final thumb at the establishment in Bank's final novel. In Guy, Banks created a character with whom it's hard to pity or sympathise, but the absolute, undignified fury and contempt for his condition and the semi-autobiographical outbursts on Banks' political view of the world put a wry smile on my face.

The Snow Child
The Snow Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought in haste, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
I'll be totally open about this: I bought it in haste before heading out the door for a weekend of camping with a long journey at either end, knowing I was going to run out of reading material. I'd just finished reading the NIght Circus and this was recommended, had high reviews and had won an award so I thought I'd take a punt.

To be fair, it has some beautiful prose that evoke the Alaskian setting but I didn't like the storyline and didn't empathise with the characters. I realise it's meant to be a period piece so the role of the women is outmoded, but I found the heavy focus on the couple being childless uninteresting. I got frustrated that the book never committed itself to being straight fiction or fantasy. I didn't like the end at all, but won't go into detail as I'm struggling to explain why without totally spoiling it for those who will enjoy this book.

Pure
Pure

2.0 out of 5 stars I quit at 53%!, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Pure (Kindle Edition)
I just can't go on forcing myself to read this any longer! Several reviewers have praised it's worth as a 'historical novel' worthy of Zola or Victor Hugo. It feels like a deliberate mimickry that is intentionally slow in getting where it's going, but failed to sustain any dramatic tension for me. Half way through and I couldn't care less for any of the characters.

Toshiba PX1624E-1HC2 320GB StorE Alu2 USB 2.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but broke within four weeks!, 5 April 2012
This is a neat, good looking, easy to use hard drive. I got one to back up my lap top in January. Sadly after about half a dozen uses the usb 'socket' inside came loose from the casing. Am currently seeking a replacement from Toshiba...

PURE TEMPUS-1S, Luxury DAB/FM Clock Radio - Cherry
PURE TEMPUS-1S, Luxury DAB/FM Clock Radio - Cherry

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, short life span!, 5 April 2012
This is a really good product. I first bought one in summer 2006, but the volume button stopped working two months out of guarantee in 2008. I called Pure and they were excellent: told me not to worry about it being out of guarantee and sent out a new one within days of my returning the broken one. I loved everything about this clock radio. It looks good, it's easy to use, updates itself and never let me down until a few weeks ago when I came back off holiday and it had suddenly stopped working... Sadly well out of guarantee and I'm not about to buy a third one when two have already stopped working rather sooner than I'd expected.

Page: 1 | 2