Profile for Morten Andersen > Reviews

The Spirit of Aikido
The Spirit of Aikido
by Kisshomaru Ueshiba

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine little book, but, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Spirit of Aikido (Paperback)
I admit not to have read the whole book, why?
I bought this book on my first trip to Japan in 2006, lately I have had time to read it and the first chapter of the book kills me.
When I buy a book on Aikido, I expect to read about Aikido, the filosofi and the mythical aspects, not to begin reading about a journey.
If I want to read a biografi, I go buy a biografi.

When I read books, as I do because I make a living selling books, I expect the book to catch me within the first one to three chapters, and this book did not. I have read other books on Aikido, which I would much rather recommend to people. Of course it is to be known that my interest in Aikido is centered around O'Sensei and the ideas behind Aikido.

I have given this book three stars, first of all, I give three not two, because I never finished the book.
Take in mind that, no one can learn Aikido from a book, only get to know the aspects behind it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2011 2:39 PM BST

Understanding Shinto: Origins, Beliefs, Practices, Festivals, Spirits, Sacred Places
by C.Scott Littleton

4.0 out of 5 stars About Shinto, 7 Feb 2010
A very well written book on the basics of Shinto.
It takes you thru different parts of the Shinto religion and gives a good idea of how the religion works, but it does lack more depth into Shinto. For someone who knows nothing about Shinto and those who only know a little, it is a book worth reading.
It is well written and gives a good idea about Shinto, the practice and history.

Samurai Sword - The Making Of A Legend [DVD]
Samurai Sword - The Making Of A Legend [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Wate
Price: 10.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Finest blade ever made., 7 Feb 2010
The DVD presents a nice over view of how; first the tamahagani/iron for the samurai sword is made and follows a sword till end, thru the hands of the blacksmith to the polisher. The DVD also features a test between the Broadsword and the Katana, cutting test, which I find unneeded. A nice bonus is the adding of samurai training, by one of Japans samurai teachers. If you are interested in expanding your knowledge of the Katana, then I will recommend this DVD.
Personally I could not care less for the sword test and anything which has to do with other swords than the Katana, and this to me is the only bad thing about this DVD. I can therefor not give it five stars, so in my heart, even though it is a good documentary, I can only give it three stars.
Still I find it worth owning, unless you have read many books on the Katana, mainly because you get to see a process which is not easy to come by in Japan today.