Profile for Zwaantje H. Hamming > Reviews

Content by Zwaantje H. Ha...

Zwaantje H. Hamming (Santa Fe, New Mexico United States)

Nicci French: Secret Smile
Nicci French: Secret Smile
Offered by NextDayEntertainment
Price: 25.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plot, very good acting, 29 Jan 2008
This review is from: Nicci French: Secret Smile (DVD)
Secret smiles is a great show. David Tennant is perfectly cast as the sociopathic Brendan Block. As I'm used to see him as Dr Who, the saviour of the universe a few times over, I found great pleasure in watching him as the ultimate creepy guy. Good-looking, no doubt, but not healthy to have around! The rest of the cast is very good, I really liked the brother character. Definitely something that looks good in any DVD-library.

The Naming Of The Dead
The Naming Of The Dead
by Ian Rankin

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Rebus' installment!, 28 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Naming Of The Dead (Hardcover)
Ian Rankin never disappoints, "the naming of the dead" is no exception. John Rebus has to deal with a serial killer at the time of the G8 summit in Edinborough. Siobhan is back, so is Big Ger. All the ingredients for a great mystery. Anybody that has read the Rebus' series will appreciate that Ian Rankin is just getting better and better. He is my absolute favorite writer and I always feel disappointed when I finished another Rebus because I know it's going to be a long wait until the next one!

Blood Hunt
Blood Hunt
by Ian Rankin

4.0 out of 5 stars A good yarn!, 7 April 2006
This review is from: Blood Hunt (Paperback)
I can read anything Ian Rankin writes all the time, at any time of day, in any place. I certainly enjoyed "Blood hunt" but for me the Rebus-series is my favorite. While waiting for a new Rebus adventure, a "Blood hunt" is very good pastime and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys Ian Rankin's books.

Rebus: Black And Blue/The Hanging Garden/Dead Souls [DVD]
Rebus: Black And Blue/The Hanging Garden/Dead Souls [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars Must see for any Rebus-fan, 7 April 2006
John Hannah does a wonderful job portraying John Rebus! Even though he is not my idea of Rebus (for one he is too young and thin) he recreated the novels of Ian Rankin the way I imagine it while reading the books. Rebus is a conflicted soul, and surely has many short-comings. Maybe that's why I like him so much. The series have done a great job in portraying Edinborough and the characters as they seem to be in the books. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes a good story!

Rebus - The Falls [2006] [DVD]
Rebus - The Falls [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ken Stott
Offered by burnerbob2
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing!, 7 April 2006
As a die-hard Ian Rankin and Rebus fan I must say I was very disappointed in this latest DVD installment. I just couldn't find Rebus in these DVD's. Ken Stott plays the morose detective rather 2-dimensional. I missed the haunted, cynical and somewhat depressed Rebus. I even missed the Saab! Instead we find another detective-team (Rebus and Siobhan), rather formulaic and without the tension that are so palpable in the books. I think John Hannah did a far better job.