Profile for Sarah > Reviews

Content by Sarah

Sarah (Leicester)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hidden Monster (Monsters Among Us)
Hidden Monster (Monsters Among Us)
by Amanda Strong

3.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Monster, 26 April 2016
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Clean Teen Publishing and NetGalley.)

This was an okay story, but it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Sam was an okay character, but I just couldn’t relate to her very well. I also didn’t really believe that she acted like someone who has been kidnapped, and was maybe a little too trusting of people.

The storyline in this wasn’t what I was expecting, I was expecting a kidnapping story, and that only last for the first chapter and then it was over! Instead we got a story about Sam post-kidnapping, with a weird paranormal element of people with dragonfly wings. We did also get the mystery over who Sam’s kidnapped was, and some romance thrown in there as well but this story just didn’t really do it for me.
6 out of 10

The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (The Four Kingdoms Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Princess Companion, 24 April 2016
(Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)

This was a fairy tale retelling of The Princess and the Pea.

Alyssa was an okay character, and she seemed fairly resourceful and able to turn her hand to anything. She was also quick to remind people that she wasn’t a princess and didn’t deserve special treatment.

The storyline in this was about Alyssa going to a castle for shelter when lost in the woods, and ending up getting a job there as a companion to the two young princesses, while the King and Queen had various princesses visiting in an attempt to find a bride for their son Prince Max. The pace in this was quite slow though, and the whole ‘pea’ storyline did seem to get forgotten a bit.

The ending to this was okay, although it seemed to take a long while to get there. We did eventually get back to the ‘Princess and the Pea’ storyline though.

The Visitors
The Visitors

3.0 out of 5 stars The Visitors, 23 April 2016
This review is from: The Visitors (Kindle Edition)
(I won a copy of this book. Thanks to author Katy Newton Naas.)

“The last thing I would want for you is to be banished from our society, and this is the fastest way to accomplish that.”

This was a YA sci-fi/romance set on another planet.

The characters in this were okay, although Jady was possibly a bit pushy, and didn’t consider that she was overstepping boundaries! I could understand why her behaviour puzzled Noah though.

The storyline in this was about a group of humans visiting an alien planet, including Jady and her brother Luke. Jady then met Noah, who was a native to the alien planet, and feelings developed between them. The romance in this was a little unconventional though because romantic relationships didn’t exist on the alien planet, and unfortunately got Noah in a lot of trouble.

The ending to this was okay, and we did get a happily ever after.

Boys Don't Ride
Boys Don't Ride

3.0 out of 5 stars Boys Don't Ride, 23 April 2016
This review is from: Boys Don't Ride (Kindle Edition)
This was a YA contemporary romance novella about a boy and girl who meet in the school cafeteria and discover a mutual love for horses. They begin working together at some stables, and participate in a charity event, and slowly feelings grow between them, even though Liberty keeps telling Tull that he isn’t her type! This was a sweet story though, and it was cute the way Tull eventually admitted his feelings for Liberty.

6 out of 10

Crazy, Stupid, Fauxmance (Creative HeArts)
Crazy, Stupid, Fauxmance (Creative HeArts)

3.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, Stupid, Fauxmance, 18 April 2016
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“You know what they say, Audrey, the best way to get over a breakup is a hookup.”

This was a YA contemporary romance featuring a fake relationship.

I liked characters in this, and both of them had just had bad break-ups. I could see what Mariely thought everybody was talking about her though when her boyfriend turned out to be gay. It was also good to catch up with Willa from the previous book in the series.

The storyline in this was about Mariely and Cabot starting a fake relationship to try and get over their old relationships, but unexpectedly falling for each other, which was kind of sweet.

The ending to this was pretty good, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next book in the series.

6.25 out of 10

Pieces of You and Me
Pieces of You and Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Pieces of you and me, 18 April 2016

“Rylee Dunn, the girl I’d loved forever, kissed me back.”

This was a YA contemporary romance story about a couple who had been separated for 5 years.

Rylee was an okay character and seemed determined to work hard and put things behind her, whilst Chase seemed content to do as little as possible at school, and wasn’t sure if getting to know Rylee again was a good idea.

The storyline in this was about the relationship between Rylee and Chase, although we didn’t get all that much romance really. I did find the pace in this a bit slow because of the lack of romance, and it did drag a bit for me.

The ending to this was fairly happy, but this story was just missing something for me.

Third Time Lucky: The Honey Trap
Third Time Lucky: The Honey Trap

4.0 out of 5 stars Third Time Lucky, 11 April 2016
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Victoria Browne.)

“I think…” Sarah said, dabbing at her eyes, “Dan is seeing someone else.”

This was an adult chick-lit type story, about a girl who didn’t have the best luck with boyfriends.

Sarah came across as quite a normal girl, and it was bad the way her boyfriend Dan behaved towards her. It wouldn’t have taken much for him to let her know when he was going to be home late, but he seemed incapable of doing even that.

The storyline in this was about Sarah and Dan’s relationship being on rocky ground, and her friends encouraging her to dump him and move on. We did get some twists thrown in though, and I really didn’t guess a couple of the things that happened at all!

The ending to this wasn’t really the happily ever after that I was looking for, but I would be interested to read the next book in the series to see what happens to Sarah next.
7 out of 10

Consumed
Consumed
by Abbie Rushton

3.0 out of 5 stars Consumed, 6 April 2016
This review is from: Consumed (Paperback)
(Source: I received a finished paperback copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks Little Brown Book Group UK.)

“Myla hasn’t left the house for the last two years.”

This was a contemporary mystery story about a girl whose sister had been murdered.

Myla was really stuck in this story, trapped in her house with no idea where her life was headed, and constantly worried that her sister’s murderer was still at large. I didn’t blame her for being afraid, or for succumbing to panic attacks. Jamie on the other hand was also stuck but for a different reason. It seemed like he had an eating disorder, as he felt like how much he ate was one of the few things in his life that he had control over.

The storyline in this was about Myla being convinced that her sister’s killer was still out there, and wanting to try and find a way to find him. Jamie tried to help Myla with her fear of leaving the house, and we got a bit of a mystery story in that they had no idea who the real killer was. The pace in this was quite slow though, and the story seemed to drag a bit for me.

The ending to this was okay, and I didn’t guess who the killer was, but overall I would have appreciated a bit of a faster pace, rather than the killer being suddenly revealed at the end.

Necrobloods
Necrobloods

4.0 out of 5 stars Necrobloods, 22 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Necrobloods (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded for free from amazon.co.uk

“You have great power. If you pass the tests, you shall reign supreme.”

This was a YA paranormal/fantasy story about a race of people that were able to use elemental or spiritual energy.

Celeste was an interesting character, and she seemed to cope pretty well with everything that was thrown at her, even when things came really out of the blue.

The storyline in this was about Celeste finding out about who her parents really were, and a huge war that was brewing that she might have to fight in. We also got a bit of a love triangle, and I really didn’t know who she should pick.

The ending to this was pretty good, and I was satisfied with the way things worked out.
7 out of 10

Powerless (The Hero Agenda)
Powerless (The Hero Agenda)

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerless, 20 Mar. 2016
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“Mom might be working on a way to neutralize villain powers and amplify hero ones, but I’m working on a way to create them.”

This was a YA sci-fi story about people with superpowers.

Kenna was quite a determined girl, but I could see why she felt powerless. Being surrounded with people with superpowers whilst she was totally normal wasn’t the best feeling for her.

The storyline in this was about Kenna’s mother being kidnapped, and Kenna and her friends trying to figure out what was going on and who was to blame. We also had a bit of a ‘who’s really bad’ storyline going on with the villains verses heros.

The ending to this was a cliff-hanger.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20