Profile for Matthew Kottman > Reviews

Content by Matthew Kottman

Matthew Kottman "MK" (London, UK)

Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church (9Marks)
Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church (9Marks)
by Michael Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Accessible, 20 Dec. 2011
This book was excellent. Lawrence lays out the importance of Biblical Theology, that is viewing the Bible as one book (not just 66 books) with one plot which is God's glory displayed through Christ. Lawrence says "theology is how we move from the text of Scripture to how we should live our lives today." Heady theology is not useful, but theology practically applied to the church for the glory of Jesus is immensely useful. Lawrence writes at a level that laymen can understand. I highly recommend this book, especially for anyone in any kind of pastoral leadership.

PAGAN CHRISTIANITY HB
PAGAN CHRISTIANITY HB
by VIOLA & BARNA

1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting information poor conclusions, 6 Aug. 2008
This review is from: PAGAN CHRISTIANITY HB (Hardcover)
The fact that George Barna is the co-author should be an indicator that this book is going to have problems. He was the one who wrote the book (as I remember it) "Marketing the Church". He seems to flip-flop his views quite often. He's a statistician, so his views are often more shaped by polls and statistics than Scripture.

Viola's view is that virtually the entire way that church is done is both secular and pagan and fights against church fellowship. He does bring about a few points worth looking at, but mixed in with that are proof-texts out of context to prove his points (interesting that he devotes a section of the book to the danger of prooftexting).

All in all, although a few points worth meditation were brought out, I was very turned off by the way Scriptures were poorly quoted, for example, Viola quotes 1Co 14:26 as proof that a church meeting should be everyone teaching each other, everyone getting to lead in song (this person leads this song, that person that one), everyone speaking in a tongue. But the obvious context of the passage is Paul is rebuking the church for functioning in this way and so it actually works against his point rather than prove it, but taken out of context, it becomes a proof-text. That says to me that there is greater concern in making a point than keeping the full integrity of Scripture.

Would I recommend this book? No. Although it did make me think about some things and ask myself why I do certain things, for the most part my conclusions about body life are pretty much the same as before. I appreciate the fact that Viola wants to see the church engage more as a body than an event, and I don't mind him doing church the way he does, but he suggests Scripture is on his side (which again I cannot see any real support for this) and that if we don't see the church functioning the way he does church, we are caught up in Greek/Roman thought and paganism.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2009 8:17 PM BST

The Lost Message of Jesus
The Lost Message of Jesus
by Alan Mann

1.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Plot of Steve Chalke, 12 April 2008
If you think this book is bad, wait to see the one he writes in 10 years if he stays on this track.

Mr. Chalke needs to sail back to port and find a biblical balance before he launches out into the deep, for a shipwreck in the deep waters of heretical theology is most tragic.