Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Headhanger" (East Sussex, UK)

Gurps - Space
Gurps - Space
by Steve Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for campaign building, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Gurps - Space (Paperback)
There is a tremendous amount of detail on creating space-themed games, settings, adventures, and campaigns.

Information ranges from FTL travel to alien worlds, from stars and singularities to xenoforms and extra-solar cultures.

If you want to create a details setting and really think about how the technology, galactic map, and alien beings will affect everything, this is the book for you.

The book is very rules-light. There are hardly any stats included at all, so theoretically you could use it with any system or even as a planning tool if you are writing science fiction.

WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Caviar Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy!, 18 July 2014
This is a horrendously noisy hard drive. It sounds like nails being dragged over a chalk board, which is usually an indication of a failing drive. I'll be returning this and getting a refund as soon as possible.

GURPS Basic Set: Characters (GURPS: Generic Universal Role Playing System)
GURPS Basic Set: Characters (GURPS: Generic Universal Role Playing System)
by Andrew Hackard

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid System, 3 July 2009
I bought this, along with the Gurps Basic Set: Campaigns (GURPS: Generic Universal Role Playing System) source book because I was tired of the other RPG systems I was playing.

The GURPS system is fairly realistic, but can be tailored to be as cinematic as you like. The rules are very flexible and allow you to do almost anything you wish. An imaginative GM will be able to utilise the GURPS system to make any sort of adventure or campaign he wishes.

The book is laid out in an easy-to-read format. Each chapter is colour-coded, so you automatically know where you are in the book when you flip it open to look for something.

Tables and charts are easy to find; the index is very useful; everything has been laid out so that it's easy to read. The illustrations are also of good quality. I would have liked to have seen more artwork, but then the book is big and heavy enough as it is!

This book gives you virtually everything you would need to play a very basic game; to do more than a simplistic hack-and-slash (or shoot-and-loot) run of it, you really need the Campaigns book. Game Masters will find the Campaigns book invaluable, while some Players might even like to flip through it (especially the sections/chapters on detailed and tactical combat, skill usage, templates, and racial templates).

I would definitely recommend this to a friend if they were looking for a good system. It's a solid, well-laid out book, and I've yet to be disappointed by its contents.

TRUST Wireless Laser Mouse MI-7900Z
TRUST Wireless Laser Mouse MI-7900Z

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, 2 July 2008
I was excited when I bought this mouse as I've not had a wireless peripheral like this before. When I started using it I thought it moved a little sluggishly but thinking I'd just get used to it over time I ignored the problem.

Unfortunately not the case.

This mouse is very heavy, requiring effort to shove it around your desk. That might sound silly, "how heavy can a mouse be?" but think about the weight of a regular optical mouse - it weighs next to nothing and can be moved with ease. This thing is something akin to the weight of an XBox 360 controller or a small keyboard.

I also find the mouse does not respond well in either DPI mode to my movements. I'm often missing icons on my desktop when I wouldn't normally with my previous mouse. It is also very easy to accidentally hit the extra buttons - I was in the middle of a frantic game online when suddenly I was at my desktop being asked which MS Office application I wanted to open! And don't get me started about this "wonderful" side-scrolling thing. It hasn't worked for me, no matter how hard I've tried to set it up. A single nudge of the scroll wheel sends you reeling to the furthest corners of your document/image/whatever.

Another thing - the underside of the mouse seems to be a bit wonky too as not all of it sits on my tabletop - it rocks back and forth like a chair with one short leg!

I regret buying this mouse and to be honest it has put me off buying a mouse like this again. Next time I'll go all out and buy myself a Razer to save myself the uncomfortable resting position this mouse has and all the other problems I've detailed here.

Dagon [DVD]
Dagon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ezra Godden
Offered by Disc-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars This is *not* Shadow over Innsmouth, 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: Dagon [DVD] (DVD)
Being based on "Dagon" and "Shadow over Innsmouth" had me expecting a mind blasting film in which the protagonist's sanity is tested to his limit but he keeps going to defeat a greater threat or ultimately become another casualty of some cosmic horror.

I didn't like the movie mostly because the acting was sub-par and it seemed to me that the director tried to take a Lovecraft novel and turn it into a bog-standard horror film. The townspeople who were supposedly turning into Deep Ones looked and acted more like octopoid zombies; it's not that the makeup was bad, it was actually quite good, but the director seemed to think that underwater monsters meant tentacles instead of fingers, broken ankles, tentacles coming out of your face, very high - or low - pitched voices, and tentacles instead of legs. Did I mention the tentacles?

To me the movie just came across as a low budget horror movie with a basic plot outline and the usual horror movie elements (gore, dismemberment, a cowardly hero pushed over the edge until he starts swearing and fights back - with a Swiss Army Knife -, slow moving hordes of bad guys, female nudity, slime, monsters that just shout "Graawwwr!" a lot, a car that won't start etc, etc...)

In my opinion it could have been a whole lot better.

Soul Reaver 2
Soul Reaver 2

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for LOK fans, 17 Sep 2005
This review is from: Soul Reaver 2 (Video Game)
If you've played Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver then I recommend you grab Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 as soon as you have the means and play it through!
The game continues not a moment after the ending of Soul Reaver with Raziel chasing Kain through the time streaming device. The game goes from there to explore Nosgoth's past and the decay of the pillars along with the rise and fall of the Sarafan.
The graphics are okay, a little dated and lacking in any special shader effects or ultra realistic textures but they're not what you'll be focusing on. The sounds and music are just right for a LoK game giving you the feeling of a fallen land and the dread that hides in the shadow world and they fit in just fine.
The game play is what is important, and the story even more so. The combat is very similar to the original Soul Reaver with a stronger but slower melee attack added for diversity.
The puzzles are a little dumbed down in places but one or two had me thinking hard to get past them. There are some that are too easy but they are weighed out by those that require you to stop and think for a few minutes before carrying on.
There aren't as many secrets as there are in Soul Reaver (like the magic glyphs and health glyphs) but rather the game focuses on a linear storyline revolving around the Reaver itself.
The story is magnificently told and you should have played Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (or at least know the plots) to follow the plot of this game. After playing the game through once I needed some down-time to decompress my brain from the story which is full of paradoxes, repeating histories and twisted destinies.
If you're a fan on the Legacy of Kain genre then you shouldn't miss this, it reveals more than you first think and yet still leaves you with more questions.
If you aren't a fan of the Legacy of Kain series then I suggest you find yourself a copy of the original Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and get up to date.
One thing for PC users though is that I strongly reccomend you get a USB gamepad to play this game with as Raziel is very fiddly to control with a keyboard or keyboard/mouse configuration.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)
Offered by Digizoneuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated engine but alot of fun to play, 30 July 2005
The Quake 3 engine is showing its age now but I still find myself playing Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. Why? Because it's fun, that's why. The game has a good mix between linear and freeform gameplay which allows you to choose more or less which missions you want to play and in which order. You also get to design your own character (Human male, Human female, Rodian male, Kel Dor male, Twi'lek female, Zabrak female) and your own lightsaber (red lightsabers are reserved for multiplayer only by the way). You get to choose which force powers you want to focus on, getting to choose light (heal, mind trick etc) and/or dark (grip, lightning etc) powers. You'll find yourself choosing grip just so you can say "I find your lack of faith disturbing..." to every stormtrooper you come across.
Later on in the single player game you get to choose whether you'll be a Jedi or a Dark Jedi which has a dramatic effect on the closing levels and the ending of the game. Like I said, the game has a good mix of linear and freeform gameplay.
The multiplayer has kept me hooked for far too long. The amount of mods, custom characters, new levels and other fan made downloads is almost on the same scale as the original Quake 3. Want to play as Master Chief (from Halo) or Spiderman with a lightsaber? Just download the custom models and you can. Some people play Jedi Academy multiplayer for the saber duels, some for capture the flag or team based free for alls and some people play it to play out the role of a character. The amount mods and custom additions to the game means that you can have hours of fun just trying to get your team mates to dance the 'YMCA' in synch with you.
If you want a single player game which has a good replay value (thanks to the freeform/linear style) and grants a large dosage of cinematic events (saber locks, defeating swarms of troopers with your saber, fighting dark jedi on top of a speeding hover train through a windswept metropolis etc) then you should think about getting Jedi Academy. If you want to play a multiplayer game in which you don't have to shoot everything that moves and requires a little more thinking and even some role playing now and then, you should also think about getting Jedi Academy.
There are some bad points to Jedi Academy though; only a few but they should be mentioned anyway. The menus are annoying, it seems like a minor point but they really are irritating. Sometimes people find ways to exploit the dual saber and staff saber (like the one Darth Maul used) styles and it can be difficult to beat them when they just flail at you. The graphics and sound aren't top notch, like I said the game is dated, but with a good processor (2GB) and graphics card (128MB) you can put every graphic and sound option to the max and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played; if you don't have the latest and greatest hardware it doesn't really matter because you can play the game anyway (the specs are pretty low since it uses an older game engine). And the AI is a bit dumb, sometimes dark jedi kill themselves by jumping off cliffs and the like (though you do end up laughing your head off when this happens) but these are all minor flaws in a fun game I find myself installing and playing through again and again.