Profile for gmiester > Reviews

Content by gmiester

gmiester (hemel hempstead)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
CaseGuru Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Luxury Leather Stand Case /Smart Cover with Screen Protector and Stylus Pen (fits both versions of Note 10.1 N8000 / N8010) (Orange)
Offered by Case Guru

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 23 Feb. 2013
This is quite a good case I love the colour and it came with its own stylus. The case also has two little pockets for the adapter set, but they are way too small to be functional and the tablet moves about in the case a bit so you have to line the camera up in the case before taking a picture, hence four stars.

Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania (Helm Field Guides)
Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania (Helm Field Guides)
by Dale A. Zimmerman

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 23 Jan. 2013
I recently enjoyed a safari holiday in Kenya. I am a keen birder and birding was one of the main reasons for the trip. Obviously I was going to need a field guide to the birds of Kenya and having read the reviews I ended up buying this one and I have to say I'm so glad I did. To call it a field guide is slightly misleading as it is quite a large book. However, after the days safari back in the comfort of our room I found this book a real joy to leaf through in order to put a name to the birds we had spotted that day. The illustrations are excellent and capture the the birds superbly the text is also very informative complimenting the illustrations perfectly. I was able to successfully identify 280 species of bird using this guide, and I found it to be an invaluable companion on a wonderful and memorable holiday and I would have no hesitation in recommending this guide to anyone planing a trip to Kenya.

The Silence of the Lambs [DVD] [1991]
The Silence of the Lambs [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Jodie Foster
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars ten stars more like, 18 Jan. 2013
Without doubt a film in my top ten all time great films. A more compelling film I cant imagine. Superb performances by every member of the cast,the slowly unfolding unrequited love affair that lector has for starling is sublimely portrayed and the tension of the investigation has me on the edge of my seat every time. I love this film and must watch it about four times a year and have done so for at least ten years. Superb.

Samsung M3 Slimline 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 Slimline 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Timepiece Fashion Inc

4.0 out of 5 stars A good hard drive, 4 Jan. 2013
I like this drive. My experience of the drive and the software is plug and play. I have various formats of film as well as documents and laptop backup and its all working fine. The only reason why I give it a four star rating is the very short cable that comes with the drive, but this seems to be the way with all manufactures. A longer cable would have got you five stars Samsung (although as i understand it the actual drive is made by seagate)

LED Lenser H7R Rechargeable Head Lamp (Black) - Box
LED Lenser H7R Rechargeable Head Lamp (Black) - Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 28 Dec. 2012
This is superb. Just the job for walking the dog at night, doing diy in tight dark corners, night running, building computers and on and on. The light is bright to begin with when it's on its lowest setting but you can make it much brighter using the dimmer switch at the back of the head. Also you can adjust the beam from floodlit to a bright focused beam. The torch is adjustable through 90 degrees as well so you can focus on what you are looking at. The batteries came half charged and a full charge is meant to give fifty or so hours of light. I'm sure someone out there will put this to the test and good luck to them. Suffice to say that the lenser H7R is a smashing bit of kit and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - White (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0)
Offered by Zeetek

5.0 out of 5 stars Supurb, 28 Dec. 2012
I have watched reviews, read reviews and played with both the ipad and the galaxy note 10.1. My conclusion is that Apple run some very nice software and ultimately have the edge on apps also the screen resolution is higher on the ipad but for me, that is where any claim to ipad superiority finishes.
The galaxy note looks and feels robust and built to last, the Spen opens up a whole new world for tablet use, as dose the split screen functionality. Then there is the ability to expand the memory to 64 Gb (although some report only being able to upgrade to 32 Gb) and I'm sure you can also expand the memory via the usb adapter so theoretically the memory is limitless.
The speakers are superb, for a small device so playing music or watching movies on the go is catered for. I also have a seagate goflex satellite with all my movies and music so the two combined make a superb 100% potable entertainment system.
However, the Spen really is what sets this device apart from the competition. It's easy to use and takenotes in meetings, you can make notes on documents and within books, make copies then send them by email or fax (if you have the right app). You can write on photos and share them, create documents with installed software (polaris office). With this software you can edit expand and even create windows compatible documents. The list of options goes on and on. The Spen is more than just a stylus it really does work as a pen or pencil or brush. There is palm recognition software built into the note so that you only get what you write or draw and not a big splodge where the palm of your hand has been. I think that is amazing.
I think the galaxy note 10.1 is a superb device and without the Spen, I think would make a strong contender for the tablet crown, however, with the Spen the note rips that crown from the ipads head then dances a mery jig all over Apples defeated corpse. Well that's what I think

The Dark Knight Rises (DVD) [2012]
The Dark Knight Rises (DVD) [2012]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the one star reviews, 28 Dec. 2012
A total fantastic film. I'm not going to warble on, if you liked Batman begins and the dark knight then you will like this. There are some one star reviews on Amazon that are longer than the film and I would strongly suggest you pay them no heed. Instead buy this dvd and simply enjoy.

The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD) [2012]
The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD) [2012]
Dvd ~ Andrew Garfield
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars It improves on second viewing, 2 Dec. 2012
I did write a review say this film was rather dull. In my defence it was a Netflix cut which missed out several scenes. On second viewing with everything in place. I'm not entirely sure it was necessary to rewrite the whole thing but it's well worth a look. My original view that some of the special effects look dated stands but nonetheless its still not bad at all.

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, woeful edition, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
I love the Hobbit as a story, I have done since i was a boy but this Kindle edition is dreadful. It repeats sentences and paragraphs and the odd page or too. Come on amazon, sort it out.

Seagate STBF500200 500GB Satellite WiFi USB 3.0 2.5 inch External Hard Drive - Black
Offered by DSG STORE

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit tricky but in the end outstanding, 16 Oct. 2012
OMG. I have to say I love this bit of kit. I have to admit that it took me quite a while to set it up properly, having to download extra bits of widows software to make the Goflex compatible with my laptop and also updating the firmware on the Goflex itself (this was also a rather complicated process). However, after I had managed all the downloads etc it was simply a case of transferring all my Itunes content, my photos and videos to the drive which was a doddle and took very little time at all.Photos, videos and music are all kept in separate folders and the drive recognises separate albums so there isn't just a continuous alphabetical list of tunes to hunt through. I really love the fact that I can play all my Itunes content on an android device. OK, the software isn't as classy as Itunes and I haven't yet found a way to make a playlist but it's all on my Nexus 7 (another fab bit of kit by the way) and not on an apple device which is fantastic.

Seagate claimed that you can watch any movie on three different devices which I tested out. I had Marvels Avengers Assembled playing on my Nexus 7 Trainspotting on my Iphone and Chocolat on my Samsung Galaxy Note, three diferent films on three diferent devices all being streamed from the Goflex satellite,outstanding.

So there you have it. It's not exactly plug and play and it dose not have the sophistication of Itunes (well not on android devices) and I cant find a way to make playlists, but It does effectively expand the storage capacity of any device too 500 Gb, you can play your entire Itunes library on ANY device, watch movies and look at your photos anywhere in the world and for that it gets five stars from me.

Im still giving this product five stars and if there were six I would give it six. I have put a load of photos, home videos, sound recordings and movies on my goflex, I have deliberately used different formats for the movies and still they play flawlesly on all my devices, Iphone, nexus7, galaxy note etc. Just an excellent gizmo. The only thing that bugs me is the little plastic cover that goes over the connection port, Seagate really need to look into this because its not good at all and it will get lost or broken or just fall off eventually. Other than that, outstanding.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 6:52 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4