Profile for H. Smith > Reviews

Content by H. Smith

H. Smith (Weymouth, UK)

AVAX DT-1 - Digital LCD Food Thermometer Kitchen Cooking Probe for Wine, Food, Meat, Steak, Turkey, BBQ, Yerba Mate, etc. - Temperature range: -50C to 300C / -58F to 572F - (tube packaging and a protective cap included for better protection) - Battery Included
Offered by WowBox UK (EU-wide shipping)

5.0 out of 5 stars great little thermometer, 12 Dec 2014
Purchased this for a Christmas gift after hearing Tom Kerridge the TV chef on the radio advising on the best way to cook a Christmas turkey was to use a digital thermometer. This one seemed to fit the bill.

Size 5 Women's Trek Northwest Territory Dark Red Lace Up Leather Hiking Boots
Size 5 Women's Trek Northwest Territory Dark Red Lace Up Leather Hiking Boots
Offered by Rest and Play Footwear LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best waterproof boots ever, 11 Dec 2010
I have had a pair of these boots for over 2 years. They have been worn very frequently for dog walking, in the mud/rain/wet. I've tromped through puddles, been on the beach and through deep snow. They are COMPLETELY waterproof. i have never once had wet feet. They are really comfortable, no rubbing or chaffing and keep your feet very warm and dry.
I have had more expensive walking boots but they were not a patch on these.
I am now looking to get a new pair in a different colour.

Sebo K3VULCANO Compact Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Triple Filtration, 2100W
Sebo K3VULCANO Compact Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Triple Filtration, 2100W

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - look no further for a new vacuum, 13 Jun 2007
I have owned a Dyson before which was rubbish - biggest waste of money ever spent. This was followed by an Electrolux which only lasted a couple of months.
I decided to splash out and get a more expensive vacuum cleaner and I'm so glad I did.
I have a lot of wooden floors in my house but a few pile carpets too + stairs and a cat. I also have very long, dark hair which used to be a nightmare for vacuuming up from a carpet, as it generally either snarled up round the rollers or tended to just get pushed backwards and fowards along the floor and I'd inevitably have to bend down and pick it off the floor by hand.

I spent hours researching all sorts of cleaners on the internet and finally decided that the Sebo K3 on paper at least looked like it would cover all of these situations.
This machine screams quality from the minute you take it out of the box. The unit itself is sturdy and the tube is metal with a robust hose (which doesn't give static shocks when vacuuming the carpet!). It comes with an excellent variety of tools - including a powered floor head but to be honest I've hardly used this as the standard head that comes with it works really well. It also has a really long crevice tool which is fantastic for getting down the sides of chairs and for getting into all those awkward spots in the car.
It's quiet(ish), has excellent suction and manoeuvres easily - especially the floor head which has a swivel joint connecting it to the hose making it a dawdle for vacuuming between and around things like chair legs. The bit I like best is that there is a variable power/on/off swtich on the handle for instant use.
I had been worried that a 'bagged' vacuum would work out expensive to run because of the cost of the bags but the dust bags work out at about a £1 each. I've been using this vacuum for months without having to change the bag and have only just changed the first bag. The beauty being that you don't have to choke on all the dust like you do with a bagless vacuum when emptying it. It also means that the suction now is as good as the first day as none of the inner workings get clogged with dust.
I'd highly recommend this vacuum to anyone thinking of purchasing a new one: splash out and get yourself a decent machine that will last for years.

DECEMBER 2010
Thought I'd update that I still have this same vacuum cleaner and am still just as delighted with it as I was in the beginning.
It still has 100% suction power due to the fact the inside is spotless, no dust etc, because of the bags. OK so you have change the bag when it's full and there is the cost of buying them (about £9 for 10) but means that the motor etc is not all clogged up.
Still highly recommend this product.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 12:48 PM BST

Stripped
Stripped
by Brian Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating!, 13 Jun 2007
This review is from: Stripped (Paperback)
To sum up in one word:Wow!

I'm an avid reader of thrillers and am always on the lookout for a new author to add to my favourites and Brian Freeman certainly shoots to the top of my list, displacing Lee Childs.

This book had it all: believable characters, excellent storyline, exciting setting and a bit of sex & violence thrown in for good measure rounded off by cunning twist in the tale at the end.

A real page turner, which left me bleary-eyed as I couldn't lay it down. I've already ordered his first book Immoral and look forward to future publications.

Electrolux Twin Clean Z8220 Self Cleaning Filter System Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works, 17 Mar 2007
I bought one of these Dec 06 and was very pleased with it. I liked the idea of not having to buy any bags or filters. The first time the light came on to swivel the twin filter round, I followed the instructions and it seemd ok. 2 months down the line, I suspected that the suction was not what it had been when new but thought I must just be paranoid but then the 2nd time the filter light came on again I did the swivelling thing again - but this time the machine refused to come back on at all. The filter light remained blinked but no power. Electrolux helpline duly gave me a reference number to give to my supplier to swap out (as there was no repair man in our area). This was all done no problem and my new vacuum arrived. Whipped it out of the box, plugged it in and........instantly the flashing filter light came on to say to swivel the filter round?!? I lost faith at this point and have asked for a refund and will purchase a more expensive rival which offers a 2 year warranty. Electrolux said I was particulary unlucky to have 2 duff machines on the trot. Overall I'd say that if you choose this machine and don't have any faults with it then it is a nice compact size and easy to use. I would say that the hose doesn't quite reach the top of my 13-step flight of stairs as it is advertised to do but the retractable cable is pretty long. I have plumped in the end for a bagged vacuum with changeable filters as, although the Z8220 was easy to empty, the dust goes everywhere when you empty it: so a more hygenic bagged vacuum in future for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2011 6:56 PM BST

The Chocolate Wedding
The Chocolate Wedding
by Posy Simmonds

4.0 out of 5 stars A very chocolatey story!, 7 Jun 2001
This review is from: The Chocolate Wedding (Hardcover)
My 6 year old daughter enjoyed this hugely and still raves about this book long after reading it... Our standard night-time phrase now has become "night, sweetie-pie" "night, sweetie-poo" just like the characters in the book.