Profile for Lazarus > Reviews

Content by Lazarus

Lazarus

Environment Five
Environment Five

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate to say it but I found Environments 2 and ..., 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Environment Five (Audio CD)
Welcome back lads.

You know you've hit a winner when the CD / download (delete as applicable depending on which side of a certain age you are) is repeated 3 times because you want to check you actually heard what you did.

I hate to say it but I found Environments 2 and 3 way too cold and clinical. 4 I've missed out on and 1 is a squelching desert wolf version of Lifeforms (that's good btw).

I have played this through top to tail a dozen times in half as many days. It pulls you in the way ISDN did, but with more live instrumentation such as guitar, trumpet, sax that makes you sit up and listen. These guys made their own equipment because they weren't satisfied with sounding like everyone else: it shows. Production is crisp, rich and engaging.

Not going to run through this track by track because if you like anything to do with electronic music, I don't need to. It's like telling your mate who has a penchant for 60's and 70's bands why he should give 60 mins of his life to an ebbing and flowing mood. Cannot be done but if that's your bag you cannot understand why that cannot be done.

Utterly magnificent and has taken me back to the mid 90's. Thank you gentlemen.

Animalia
Animalia

5.0 out of 5 stars Happened upon this by chance and glad I did, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Animalia (Audio CD)
Concurring with previous and first reviewer. Happened upon this by chance and glad I did. Incredible stuff. Clarity of instrumentation and composition is a joy to behold, this hits the freeform spots that only jazz can.

The Naked Trader: How anyone can make money trading shares
The Naked Trader: How anyone can make money trading shares
by robbie burns

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply does the business, 27 Jan. 2014
Came across this book at my brother-in-laws house and after hearing good things about it, decided to take the plunge.

First impressions: download via Robbie's website and get a free ebook copy, nice touch and meant I could read the whole thing on a return trip to the USA on my ipad. This is one of those books on a potentially exhausting topic that is easy to read, gets points across well and doesn't aim to patronise the reader, unlike some of the other reviews I have read here.

What are people expecting? The guy has been very successful and genuinely comes across as trying to impart his knowledge to others so they can succeed also. So there's some corny jokes along the way: so what. The whole tone is light and engaging, a very welcome approach instead of trying to browbeat the novice investor with leaden writing. It's given me a new perspective on my portfolio that has served me well in the last few weeks already. There were some real "aha" moments for me as I realised where (and importantly, why) I was going wrong.

Reference the comment from a previous reviewer about their concerns about Robbie introducing spread betting: this is touched upon and the principles explained, but the clear direction is to start trading on the main markets and progress from there. An introduction to spread betting is warranted. If you can't restrain yourself and feel the need to spread bet immediately without building up to it, this book (and investing in general) may not be for you.

Some good choices and suggestions from Robbie as to further reading also.

Firm 5 stars from me.

Samrick Tough Hydro Companion Smart Gel Protective Case for Apple iPad Mini & iPad Mini Retina Display & iPad Mini 3 - Black
Offered by Aero Communication Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Logitech keyboard, 14 Jun. 2013
Was looking at the Logitech keyboard for my Mini and Amazon suggested this as part of the bundle along with the Greatshield case.

It does the job of protecting the rear of the case but - buyer beware - is not compatibile with the Logitech keyboard at the same time. Makes the thickness of the device too bulky to use the keyboard as a stand and won't close properly clamshell-fashion.

Still giving this 4 stars as I clip it on when the kids use the iPad to give it more grip and lessen the chance of slippage from hands. This works really well and is worth the cost alone - which is good value at this price.

Sasha Involver 3
Sasha Involver 3

2.0 out of 5 stars No diamond in the rough, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sasha Involver 3 (Audio CD)
I had got wind of Involver 3 beiong released some time early in 2012 and was straight on Amazon to pre-order. Didn't even need to think about it; GU Ibiza and Involver 2 are permanent residents on my iphone. Xpander, one of the best prog tunes ever. The Ableton Live Essential Mix on Radio 1, still a fine listen today.

Some 12 months later as part of a lengthy delay (from the sleeve notes it seems perfectionist Sasha wasnt happy with the way the initial mix was working) here it is.

It's average at best.

Now I may be way over the wrong side of 30 but I'm not quite ready to hang up the Sennheisers and reach for Mumford & Sons just yet. Like previous reviewers I completely agree this is stodgy, badly sequenced and has absolutely none, nada, zip of the magic of Involver 2 in particular. Sasha was promising great vocals and melodies here, where are they? I was expecting at the least a dark and pulsing re-work or two of some of the epic sounds on Ghosting Season's "Very Last of the Saints", a superb first release on Sasha's new Last Night on Earth label. It seems Sasha was happier to eke out some plodding and well worn 4/4 beats in the studio.

Was thoroughly looking forward to this to recollect some great old times and remember what Sasha was so great in the first place, hasn't happened though. The lazy sleeve art evoking a diamond in the rough is not going to make up for the fact this is a raging disappointment.

Check out Ghosting Season for some spectral melody and spine tingling moments of a more ambient kind. I'll take that any day over this serving.

A let down because we know what heights the man can scale (and so often has).