Profile for Whiskymac > Reviews

Content by Whiskymac

Whiskymac

The Lowdown: The EU - Should We Stay or Should We Go?
The Lowdown: The EU - Should We Stay or Should We Go?

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew! Finally I understand......., 19 Oct 2013
Clear, concise, informative, comprehensive and funny! Thank you for this one and only reader friendly guide to understanding the EU. I would recommend all MPs and MEPs take time to read. They may find themselves less confused!

What Do I Know?
What Do I Know?
by Paul Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun philosophy, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: What Do I Know? (Hardcover)
I was given this book by a friend and had mixed thoughts straight away. I have never been a great fan of philosophy and didn't expect the book to be light reading. Being a loyal friend I persevered and was suprised to find some quite meaty stuff while being really fun. There's a good range of subjects, everything from sex to nuclear physics as well as Montaigne's life story weaved between the varied chapters. There's a great chapter that mixes Cato the elder (who's he?), dead rock stars and even Susan Boyle that is really ingenious and funny too. Imagine Bill Bryson but ruder and funnier. I must admit that I dipped in to the end of the book and out again and read it like a series of short stories. I don't think the author intended it to be read this way - it worked for me. If you're looking for something to make you laugh on a crowded train to work or refereshing reading, I think this does the job!