Profile for MV > Reviews

Gold Dust
Offered by Bee-Entertained
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars I do NOT have cloth ears!, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Gold Dust (Audio CD)
I've admired and bought Tori's music for over 20 years. Her latest 2014 album is wonderful, as were all of her previous albums before 'Gold Dust'. I've only just bought this album, I didn't buy it on release for various reasons, the luke-warm reviews for a start and because it was always very expensive. To get to the point - I can't hear much - or any difference between these 'orchestral' versions of previous material and the the original recordings. I do listen to music properly, my hearing is acute and I enjoy music, particularly classical. I actually thought that my CD was miss-pressed until I read further opinions on the album, I thought they had included a compilation of the original recordings instead of the promised orchestral re-recordings. But no. I really can't hear any significant difference. It just feels like another compilation, rather than a follow-up to the brilliant 'Night Of Hunters'. Could have been so much more dramatic, a live recording with full orchestra would have made this a better album.

Elmdirect2u TPU Silicone Rubber White Bumper Case Cover For iPhone 5/5s 5 colours (NEON GREEN)
Offered by Elmdirect2u
Price: 3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and quality., 19 Jun 2014
My iPhone loves this case, almost as much as I do!
The quality is excellent, superior to more expensive cases that Ive bought from supermarkets and Apple, providing better protection at a fraction of the price. It has a very classy design and makes my phone look a lot better than it has up until now. The complimentary screen protector is great to have too. I'll be buying more colours in future. Fast, next day delivery. 5 stars because I cant fault the purchase.

Happy Families - The Complete Series - (2 DVD,s) - UK FORMAT
Happy Families - The Complete Series - (2 DVD,s) - UK FORMAT
Dvd ~ Jennifer Saunders
Offered by imported-dvdreams
Price: 47.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Unofficial Off-air Recording, 25 Jan 2014
This 1985 BBC TV series was wonderful to watch when it was broadcast. It has rarely been repeated on the BBC or indeed on any of the digital TV stations. I've been searching for this title on the Internet since the mid 1990s, first on VHS and then DVD. It has never officially been released on any format to this day which is a sad loss for fans of British comedy. There is a lot of speculation about why the series has never been released. One of the main reasons may well be due to music rights. It's very expensive and difficult for a video distributor in the UK to pay for, and get the copyrights of incidental and background music cleared. The series used a lot of music throughout, most predominantly 'Song For Guy' by Elton John. There is much more music used besides. The series was shot entirely on film (not videotape) and then edited to master tape for broadcast. There is now an agreement in place between the TV, video and music industry in the UK, whereby incidental and background music can be used without payment of royalties but, this only applies to British music and the pieces of music used are only allowed to be quite short. However, there is also a lot of American and international music used throughout the series too, mainly playing in the background, just one example is Madonna's little known 1985 single 'Gambler'. In order for this series to get a release, the producers would have to go right back to the original separate film and sound elements and remove any music that couldn't be included. In some cases, dialogue may be mixed with background music, making it impossible to remove, therefore such scenes would need to be cut entirely. In other cases, the music could be removed and replaced with royalty-free library music. At the end of the day, all this work would prove to be very expensive and it's doubtful that sales of the final product would recover and justify the money spent on production. Another thing that may make this release impossible, would be that the original film and sound elements no longer exist, making a re-edit impossible. This is a shame as this is one of the few 1980s BBC comedies that would benefit from a Blu-ray release, due being shot on film. Everything above aside - Ben Elton wrote this series and, he is the only person that could potentially stand in the way of it being released. Though this is doubtful - as I can't imagine why Ben wouldn't want this series released.

I would be careful of buying this if it is being offered for sale by third parties - as it is very likely to be an unofficial copy sourced from TV broadcast home recordings.

If there was an actual official release, I would give it 5 stars, but it's difficult to rate something that has yet to be officially released. I heard that the entire series has been in circulation on the Internet in reasonable quality for quite some time now, which may be where unofficial discs that are offered for sale are sourced from.

eDigital4u 'The Base' Desktop Charger USB Sync & Charge Dock for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C / iPod Touch 5G - Black Gloss - Includes FREE eDigital4u Cleaning Screen Cloth

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste Of Money - Does Not Work With iPhone 5s, 4 Dec 2013
I was very happy with the price of this, it was exactly what I was looking for at a reasonable price. It was neat, tidy and best of all black (to match my phone), it would have been perfect to replace my 3-year old iPhone 4 dock, which was no use after upgrading to an iPhone 5s. This was so disappointing in so many ways; to start with the USB - lightning cable is about THREE INCHES long! What use is that? Luckily I had an extension cable, not ideal but it did the job. Once it was all plugged in and ready to go I docked my phone - only to be told by my new phone that it refused to be plugged into this piece of cheap junk and would I please unplug it immediately as nothing remotely useful would happen until I did. The item description was very misleading. I packed it up and returned it to Amazon within 30 minutes. I now have an approved Apple iPhone dock which works perfectly.

Doctor Who: The Aztecs (Special Edition) [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Aztecs (Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars To Buy or Not to Buy?, 12 Mar 2013
In short - YES, absolutely!
Some of us long-term Doctor Who collectors' are growing tired of these constant reissues, or 'Special Editions' of stories that have already had the restoration treatment and been released on DVD in the past 13 years. Some of us feel compelled to buy every classic Doctor Who release - in my case, this is simply out of habit and not wanting to fall behind with my collection. It is disappointing to look at the future release schedule, only to find that many of the releases are titles that I already own. This reissue of The Aztecs is exceptional though. I'm usually not very interested in most bonus material and it's not an incentive for me to buy any title. I bought this 2013 edition because I was hoping for improved picture quality over the 2002 release. I'm pleased to report a noticeable improvement in picture quality. Disc one though, is virtually identical to the 2002 single disc edition, containing exactly the same bonus material. I was quite excited at the prospect of seeing the feature 'Restoring The Aztecs'. I was under the impression that this would be a new 2013 restoration feature that would provide details and give us a good idea of the comparison between the quality of the 2002 release and the 2013 release, a tangible justification of the need for a reissue. How wrong I was. The restoration feature is in actual fact the same feature, produced to showcase the 2002 restoration techniques. It seems rather odd to include this restoration feature as it doesn't do the new transfer justice. I've compared 2 identical frames - one from the 2002 release and one from the 2013 release. This shows up the fact that the picture HAS undergone significant improvement in the past 11 years. The new version is much cleaner with a lot less dirt and grain - as well as sharper edges, deeper blacks and smoother textures.

Playing the second disc of this special edition, only went further to confirm that this release is worthwhile. The main item of interest is the long lost season 3 opening story 'GALAXY 4'. Broadcast in 1965 as a 4 part story, all episodes were wiped out of existence leaving nothing behind other than off-air audio recordings and a couple of short clips. However, in 2011 episode 3 was recovered. The story has now been reconstructed as a 64 minute omnibus story with episode 3 slotted in between various clips, stills, simple 'live' animation and the soundtrack, only 3 or 4 captions are needed to provide information about lost action shots. Episode 3 looks to have been fully restored, I have no idea how it looked when it was recovered but the presentation of the episode looks pristine compared to many other lost and recovered black & white episodes from the '60s. I really enjoyed this reconstruction of Galaxy 4 and it kept my attention from start to finish. In spite of the lack of motion pictures I found it remarkably easy to follow the plot, without feeling like I was missing vital detail. Galaxy 4 has a very simple plot, the kind of story that wouldn't be out of place in 21st century Doctor Who. I'll try not to spoil the plot too much - but many comparisons could be made to many plot devices and twists commonly found in modern day Doctor Who; such as the Doctor making grave errors of judgment and learning from his companions not to be so hasty in his decisions. In fact, you could go as far to compare this story with some of the adventures and situations that we've seen Matt Smith's Doctor negotiate along with companions Amy and Rory. It's a refreshing twist in such an early Doctor Who story that we find the male companion Steven in danger while his companion Vicki is the one to finally negotiate a resolution, preventing the Doctor from making a terrible mistake and saving Steven's life in the process. I won't give anything else away. I recommend buying this special edition, if only for the sake of Galaxy 4.

Besides Galaxy 4 there is a very lengthy, entertaining and educational documentary from the 'Chronicle' series, all about the actual Aztecs (Completely unrelated to Doctor Who;) a fun feature which documents the history of Doctor Who toys and merchandise over the years (If like me, you're pushing 40 - or beyond, you may well find yourself getting excited, pointing at the screen and exclaiming "I had one of those!") There is an all-too-brief B&W feature showing footage behind the scenes and the making of 1 of 2 big-screen 1960s colour Dr. Who movies featuring the Daleks and Peter Cushing as "Dr. Who". This is an odd, random inclusion but interesting and welcome all the same. There is also a B&W comedy sketch - loosely based on Doctor Who from 'It's A Square World', very daft but it did make me laugh a few times.

As I started off saying, I am prone to be very critical and dissatisfied with the Special Edition Reissue range but, this one is exceptional and certainly worth buying - especially if you've never seen or bought The Aztecs in the past.

On reflection, I do think this product would have been better if it had been presented as a double set with a separate sleeve and case for the second disc with the title 'Galaxy 4' - rather than lumping all of this wonderful material together with the Aztecs. It's a shame really, as it's highly likely that the contents of this release will be overlooked due to the overall title of the release. At the very least they should include a sticker on the front stating that it "Includes previously unreleased bonus story Galaxy 4".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2013 12:14 PM GMT

Happy Families [DVD]
Happy Families [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Saunders

3.0 out of 5 stars This Series May Never Be Released., 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Happy Families [DVD] (DVD)

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2013 5:25 PM BST

Doctor Who: The Legacy Collection (Shada/More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker
Price: 6.75

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Just A Collection Of Extras, 2 Jan 2013
Really nothing to get excited about here. This is definitely one for the die-hard collectors... People like me! I don't want to put people off buying this but, then I don't particularly have many positive things to say about it either. Those of you who are old enough to have watched and possibly collected the old Doctor Who VHS range and watched the sporadic 1990s celebrations and screenings on the BBC will know more or less what this product is. For the younger Doctor Who enthusiasts and the people who didn't get to buy these oddities the first time around, let me fill you in. 'Shada' is an incomplete Tom Baker story. Only location footage and a small amount of studio footage was shot for the story before production was cancelled due to a BBC strike. The story was never finished and left in the archives until the early 1990s when it was released on VHS with Tom Baker linking the significant gaps between scenes with on-screen narration. I never felt satisfied with this presentation. You do get an idea of what's supposed to be happening during the story but, there is very little to keep you engaged. After one viewing, it becomes something tedious and a bit of a disappointment. However, it does have historical interest in that you actually get to see a Doctor Who story that was never broadcast. Despite being revisited by the BBC last decade and remade as an audio adventure with a new cast and accompanying minimal animation for viewing and listening on the BBC web site only (which I believe is included here in DVD ROM format) the story is still - if not more confusing than ever.

'More Than 30 Years In The Tardis' is the 30th Anniversary BBC Celebration Documentary, broadcast on the BBC in 1993 but with additional material not included in the original broadcast which had the title '30 Years In The Tardis', hence the addition of 'More Than' to the title. Have you ever seen any of the special features on a classic Doctor Who DVD, particularly the more meaty and lengthy documentaries about the show? Yes? Well this documentary is a lot like those. No? Well basically it's a Doctor Who 'Memories of Greatest Moments with Recollections of "How It Was Made"' featuring lots of classic clips inter-cut with an enormous amount of 'Talking Heads', People who acted in the series, relatives of people who acted in the series, production crew and celebrity fans of the show (who were never in it)giving us plenty of memories of watching the show and how they felt about it at the time. That's all really. I think the documentary was only really produced to promote the fact that the BBC Videos were available to buy. It was basically a nostalgic look back at a TV programme that started production 30 years earlier, finished production in 1989 - leaving our screens without a bang, not even a whimper, just fading away and with every year, leaving fans becoming increasingly concerned that it was something that was never coming back to our TV screens. From recollection, I don't think anyone who has ever bought a classic Doctor Who DVD in the past 13 years will learn anything or much they didn't already know - or haven't heard several times already. 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, starting the year off with an out-dated 20 year-old documentary seems a bit odd. I really enjoyed this documentary for a few years, but that was 20 years ago. I have never seen any point in watching it over the past 10 years or more since the introduction of special feature documentaries on DVDs that deconstruct and analyze every aspect of the show right down the the very thought patterns in the heads and the glue in the hands of the people making and producing the show.

Basically, these two features deserve nothing more than 'Bonus Feature' status. Individually, they could (and should) have been tacked on to previous proper Doctor Who DVD releases. There you have it; and here it is... If you want it for the sake of being a completist or if you're such a fan of the show that you want every single piece of footage in existence that relates to the show in as high a quality as possible.

If you're a casual viewer who enjoys watching the occasional engaging and entertaining classic Doctor Who Story - best start looking for another title and give this one a miss for the time being.

If you're looking for a gift for a cash-strapped Doctor Who fan, best to ask first before buying this, it won't be appreciated by someone you don't know well enough. However, it would make an ideal gift for a fan that has possibly put it on their wish list but have more important things to spend their own money on until they can afford and be bothered to buy this. I've bought every classic Doctor who DVD release on the day of release for the past 13 years, but this time, for the first time, I think I'll just wait a while - it's really not a priority purchase right now, even as a long-time Doctor Who fan who buys every release.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 5:33 PM GMT

Barbarella (1968) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Barbarella (1968) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jane Fonda
Price: 9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars 2012 Blu-ray Review, 10 Aug 2012
Nothing special to report here. Being on Blu-ray there is the obvious increase in picture quality to high definition, the film hasn't been restored since its last DVD release, but still looks good. Sadly, this jump to HD is the only reason to buy it. No extras other than a teaser trailer. I think the biggest disappointment is the sound. It's still mono. This is fine for purists as the film was shot and originally presented in mono. I was hoping for an alternative 5.1 mix, but no. Is the movie any good? I think it's an all-time '60s classic, please look at other reviews or IMDB if you want to know about the film itself. This is purely a technical review.

Madonna: Truth Or Dare  [1991] [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]
Madonna: Truth Or Dare [1991] [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]
Dvd ~ Madonna
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 6.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless offering this for sale in the UK, 10 July 2012
I've been looking forward to this being released on Blu-ray for many years. It finally comes out in the USA - and for unknown reasons it is region A locked, the film is 21 years old, so what's the point of limiting the audience and limiting sales to region A? The majority of people in the UK don't have multi-region BD players, so this is a waste of time. I'm giving this particular import 1 star in protest against it not being released in the UK, and not being playable in the UK. If and when the UK gets a Blu-ray release of its own - then I will certainly give that release 5 stars - providing the picture and sound quality is of a high standard.

Edimax EW-7711UAN Wireless nLITE High Gain USB Adapter
Edimax EW-7711UAN Wireless nLITE High Gain USB Adapter
Offered by HometownTV UK
Price: 10.70

5.0 out of 5 stars 45 Seconds Installation!, 15 Mar 2011
I can't rate this wifi dongle high enough. Some reviewers seem to have written horror stories, so I was a little unsure as to how good this product was going to be. I bought it to replace a 5 year old Belkin dongle which I used to make my desktop computer wifi enabled. I never managed to get more than 1 out of 5 bars of signal strength and it would constantly drop the signal altogether, wasting hours every week of forcing it to reconnect.

I just received this Edimax dongle, opened the box, glanced at the very short instruction leaflet which said that I should plug it into a USB port and click to cancel the 'Windows Found New Hardware' box, then to run the installation CD. I never even got this far - I went round to the back of the computer and chose the best located USB port and plugged the dongle in. By the time I got back round to the front of the computer, Windows had recognised the new dongle and automatically installed it! I didn't even need to insert the installation disc. Then all I had to do was double click the icon for the dongle and told it to connect to my home wifi network. Now I'm getting 5 bars of solid maximum wireless signal. Download speed is also much improved. Fantastic purchase!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3