Profile for Petra "I love to read" > Reviews

Content by Petra "I l...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 161
Helpful Votes: 1979

Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Gro Company Height Chart Sticker Set All Aboard
The Gro Company Height Chart Sticker Set All Aboard
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a lovely way of recording your children's height spurts..., 21 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Gro Company Height Chart Sticker Set All Abroad for our boys is the perfect way to show them both that they are growing up and this was particularly useful for the youngest as everyone was constantly complaining that he did not seem to grow! Now we can positively prove to him he is growing!
I loved this not only for the physical pluses of showing the boys their growth but add in the decorative results of it when applied properly to a painted straight wall really does add a nice touch to a boys bedroom both for the older one and the younger one as it is not babyish but yet the older child enjoys being measured as well. The actual stickers are of top quality material which really does add a positive appeal to the height chart.

The Soldier's Wife
The Soldier's Wife
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Soldier's Wife is also published under another title by the same author..., 18 July 2014
The Soldier's Wife is a great book to read which I thoroughly enjoyed but for those who do not realise it is also published under the title of The Collaborator.

What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?
What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?
Price: 3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Broken Hearts can mend.... especially with the help of those closest to you..., 15 July 2014
What becomes of the Broken Hearted written by Claire Allan for me was a great read which I thoroughly enjoyed from Page One as immediately the author had me gripped with the lives of Kitty and Erin as both successful women are facing life changing episodes in their lives. While one is facing what could be the end of her marriage with the man she loved and trusted with her life and with Erin she was marrying the man she loved though he could have been facing a death sentence because of testicular cancer. As marriage plans plough ahead the problems from the past and future amount from the most unexpected sources but with the problems for me made the characters more real to me.
What made this book extra special for me was how the author understood the many fears these separate problems can create, not only was the problems understood but how each woman reacted when life brought extra problems from the most unexpected sources was made very real and vivid through the author's writing.
The book had a few slow moments but like all books the story had to develop and for those times it was mainly when the author was explaining past history through the two main characters, even during those times I was engrossed as like everyone your past always makes you the person you are.
As I read each of the girls narrating their own story I loved how each of the girls had everything we all desire as we grow up but yet life had shone through and as time progressed their characters came through more as well as their past histories which really helped the story-line developed. I especially liked when Kitty was with Rose her step mother plus business partner as Rose was clearly one of those Irish Mummies who give great advice, Rose even though she was the sister's step mother she loved unconditionally while she could have easily taken Kitty to task for bad behaviour along with her sister Ivy. Even though it was Violet who give birth to Kitty and her sister it was clear that Rose was the Mum who was there when they were growing up and needed a guiding hand. It was very believable how the author had each of the girl's relationships I loved both characters equally though they were as different as chalk and cheese, their personalities shone through and though both women were successful in their chosen careers the author was able to show how when it came to the men in their lives neither of them were full of confidence even for Erin who was sure of Paddy's true love for her but when it came to marriage because of past experiences her confidence totally left her.
The author Claire Allan had written another great book filled with characters who I would love to know, it was based in the North of Ireland which made the book that bit more special to me and it was nice to see places I know appear within the book. Claire certainly knows how to bring not only her characters alive through excellent story telling but also when she was describing the back ground of the story it was for me the story was taking place right in front of me and I really enjoyed reading this excellent book.

What Becomes of the Broken Hearted written by Claire Allan is a great book and I am happy to recommend it to other female readers of modern day fiction.

BT Universal Dual-Band N600 Wi-Fi Upgrade Kit
BT Universal Dual-Band N600 Wi-Fi Upgrade Kit
Offered by UKStocked
Price: 40.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Up-grade kit for basic internet connections.., 11 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The BT Universal Dual Band N600 Wi-Fi Upgrade Kit for me is a good upgrade especially for those customers like myself who live in an area where the speedier Wi Fi is not available. I found this product very easy to use and for me personally this was a huge bonus as when it comes to anything which has a lead I always seem to spend half the time reading and re-reading the instructions. With this very good looking machine it was the simple case of plugging the actual router base into my BT Hub 3 and plugging it also into the electric. There is also a dongle for those customers whose devices are not dual band, but for me that was not the problem.
For me personally I already had purchased the BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 and for me this speeded up my Wi-Fi signal plus the added bonus of giving me a dual band signal but at certain times through the day there was always a decline in speeds which made me look at this option as we are not living in the right area to receive the speedier broad band connections.
I found the actual Upgrade Kit did actually work and I found a slight surge of power plus using the BT 600 which I found strengthened my Wi-Fi signal I am very happy with the speedier internet experience I am receiving now without having to go the speedier internet connection with the more expensive broadband contract.
The BT Universal Dual Band N600 Wi-Fi Upgrade Kit is a good buy especially for those customers who want to upgrade their internet experience to the Dual band connection without an expensive upgraded broadband contract I would recommend this kit but personally I do find there are times when I am still receiving a weak signal but that is due to the area where I live not the kit itself.

Love, Lies and Lemon Cake
Love, Lies and Lemon Cake
Price: 1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Faye and her very colourful friends.. believe me you will never forget reading this wonderful, life-changing book..., 10 July 2014
Love, Lies and Lemon Cake written by Sue Watson for me was one of the best books I have read in a very long time. So many times I was asked what was I smiling at and for me there was no way could I mention the word "Vajazzle" without thinking of Faye Dobson the one girl everyone should have as a friend in their lives.
Faye Dobson give up the life she had lovingly dreamed of when she was a teenager, not realising that giving up her dreams she was losing control of her personal happiness though there was no way did she ever regret having her daughter Emily who was now at University making her mother very proud. Faye's life changes forever when she decided not to have her usual pasty for lunch and a visit to the local deli will change not only her taste in what she now wants to eat but the very gorgeous bloke with the obvious Australian accent changes Faye's life in more ways than she could ever have dreamed!
This for me was a book based on one woman who refuses to let her dreams be lost forever along with the happiness and satisfaction she has craved for so long and along with the final realisation her husband of over twenty years has more interest in her U Bend rather than her personally. As I followed Faye coming to terms with falling in love with a man ten years her junior while narrating her own descriptions of her best friends and work mates Sue and Mandy this is one book I am certain I will have to return too as it for me was a blast of sunshine laced with lemon cupcakes on a dull cold day. I could also relate to Faye as a woman and as a friend and for me the author has a full understanding how confidence can sometimes lessen when us ladies reach certain milestones but through reading Faye's story even though it was a book of fiction but through this wonderful emotional read, Faye could be anyone I know as I certainly understood what way she was feeling emotionally and everything else in-between as Sue Watson certainly knows how to write not only an addictive storyline but one where life's lessons could be learned and understood.
If you want a book which was full of life learning, full of certain life lessons, and of course wonderful lemon cupcakes this is a book which will have you laughing out loud yet also have you crying when you realise that life sometimes can be heart breaking but it also showed me that life is for living, yes problems are there but with the helping hand of close friends and family they can also be overcome.
Love, Lies and Lemon Cake written by Sue Watson is a brilliant read and I am so happy to recommend it to other readers of modern day fiction.

Thank you to Net Galley for this free copy of Love, Lies and Lemon Cake in exchange for an honest and frank review which this is.

Jolly Rancher Crunch and Chew 184 g (Pack of 2)
Jolly Rancher Crunch and Chew 184 g (Pack of 2)
Price: 8.02

5.0 out of 5 stars chewy and refreshing .., 9 July 2014
Jolly Rancher Crunch and Chew for me is a lovely fruity sweet which provides a lovely fresh tingle in the mouth while eating. There is no sweet like this one which tastes as fruity and refreshing like this one. I would compare them to the old fashioned sweet we used to get years ago which were named Spangles but with the added bonus of having a sweet, chewy sensation in the middle. The only one thing I do not like is when I taste one it will always lead to another as they taste so good.

Playtex Flower Lace Balcony Women's Bra White 38D
Playtex Flower Lace Balcony Women's Bra White 38D

5.0 out of 5 stars a well fitting garment.., 9 July 2014
The Playtex Flower Lace Balcony Women's Bra White for me was an excellent buy. I have always considered the Playtex an excellent company for providing bras which provide well-fitting and comfortable bras only if the wearer is measured properly and correct size. Why I love this particular bra is that it is beautiful in design as well as comfort and give me correct support.
I would certainly recommend this bra especially at these very reasonable prices which Amazon offer.
The Playtex Flower Lace Balcony Bra is certainly one Bra I would recommend to any woman like me likes their underwear to look good while being comfortable when wearing.

Duronic RCD008/RD Portable Compact Boombox CD Player with FM Radio -Red
Duronic RCD008/RD Portable Compact Boombox CD Player with FM Radio -Red
Offered by DURONIC
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a good CD player with good audible sounds...., 30 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Duronic RCD008/RD Portable Compact Boom box CD player with FM Radio -Red is a very neat CD player with standard FM Radio. For me it is a budget purchase and one which is just plain and simple with no added functions. It is a very light in weight which makes it easy to carry around either home or outside and for me it provides average auditory results, though if you want clear loud sounds this really is not the boom box for you. There is less boom more basic volume which sounds and works well.
To turn the actual machine on there is a small sliding button on the right hand side which is easy to find though for anyone with bad eye sight l would consider it rather difficult to see. It only takes a quick sliding motion and there is an audible click to when you have changed the player from Off/On, CD, Radio (FM). The radio works as well as any FM radio, though in today's DAB radio it really is only suitable for basic radio stations.
I personally use the CD player more, the volume is adequate but if you hit the CD player with any force and that includes an accidental slight bump the CD will stop but will quickly find the same place on the CD playing quickly and adequately.
I like the player for the kitchen as it is very easy to move around. I would recommend the Duronic Portable Compact Boom box CD player as a good budget buy but if you want a better audible experience with professional sounds there is better though more expensive models out there in the market.

The Unwitting
The Unwitting
by Ellen Feldman
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unwitting..., 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Unwitting (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Unwitting written by Ellen Feldman for me was not only a fantastic read but the author certainly knows how to write not only a fantastic read but the words can only be described as beautiful. The book is based on one couples experiences prior to the assassination of JFK in Dallas in 1963 and through their time of courtship.
It really was a book based not only of personal politics within a marriage and the politics which ruled a country as strong and mighty as the United States of America. The book for me was a great read and one I am very happy to recommend as not only a fantastic read but one which kept me reading until the last page was reached.
Why I loved this book so much was not only the character Nell and Charlie and how their marriage was existing when the world was turning on the pin point of not only fear of the Cold War but fear of the CIA listening to every word uttered. Nell was a character who at times was hard to understand her reactions but how the author brought her alive to the readers was for me made this one book I just had to read and it give me an understanding of how life was lived through this time in America when everyone was suspicious of even their best friend or even those they loved.

Panasonic Blue/ Silver Self Hair Clipper
Panasonic Blue/ Silver Self Hair Clipper

5.0 out of 5 stars clippers for those who prefer short hair styles..., 30 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Panasonic Blue/Silver Self Hair Clipper for me is the perfect addition to my father's hair dressing needs. Due to health problems he was having difficulty going to the local barbers so therefore I needed a good set of hair clippers to provide excellent neat results.
There was no problem clipping on the plastic clip on comb attachment to the actual clipper and it remained firmly attached. The last clippers we had the clip on comb continued to fall off every-time I went near Dad's hair but with the Panasonic clippers the comb attachment remained where I attached it. With the Panasonic Clippers I was able to provide great results quickly and comfortably and without any accidents which for me personally was the main bonus point.
The Panasonic Self hair clippers is designed for personal use but with my father's eye sight that is not possible, though personally I do believe they are so well designed and they actually sit comfortably in my hand I would consider them a first class purchase for anyone who wants to cut their own hair quickly and with the added bonus for those who like their hair cropped short they are a great purchase as they offer different grades of hair length ranging from 2 - 10 mm. I also like how the designers have made them suitable to use for a wet haircut and therefore also a quick rinse of the cleaning hole provided leaves the actual clippers very easy to keep clean.
They are designed for precision cutting with a 45 degree edge leaves the user to provide a short neat hair style either personally are a another person operating the clippers Panasonic have really thought of everything when designing this perfect hair clippers as for me personally I am very happy to recommend the Panasonic Blue/Silver Self Hair Clipper to anyone who is in the market for a great hair clipper for those who want a short hair style.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20