Profile for Petra "I love to read" > Reviews

Content by Petra "I l...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 155
Helpful Votes: 2058

Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, Warm White 3000K, Dimmable
Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, Warm White 3000K, Dimmable
Price: 14.59

5.0 out of 5 stars love the Philips bulbs.., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Philips 5W which is the equivalent to a normal 50 W bulb, and for me Philips always produce first class light bulbs whether or not they are LED or even the old fashioned spot lights. The actual light was easy to fit and I had no difficulty at all. I also like the fact that these bulbs can be dimmed in the correct fitting which makes these particular one perfect for the living room, bedroom etc.
I actually would pay the extra money for the Philips light bulb for the simple fact they last long past the cheaper variety and plus the fact the light omitted is first class.
With the Philips make of light bulbs it is the fact of you pay for what you get and with this make I know I will have a good light from my lights for a long time to come.

TCP LED GU10 5 Watt LED Spotlight, White
TCP LED GU10 5 Watt LED Spotlight, White
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars warm white glow.., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
TCP LED GU10 5 Watt LED Spotlight is a good bulb which so far has not let us down, it produces a warm glow rather than the usual bright white light it replaced. I put this bulb in the kitchen as it is non dimming with the added bonus it does not heat up like other LED bulbs I have purchased. This is a great little bulb at a great price which I am happy to recommend to other users of LED bulbs.

Melissa & Doug Bella Butterfly Bubble Blower
Melissa & Doug Bella Butterfly Bubble Blower
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars blowing bubbles everywhere..., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Melissa & Doug Bella Butterfly Bubble Blower is a great toy for those little girls who have a love for everything pink in their lives plus the added bonus of having a very beautiful butterfly as the main decoration. It was a great toy to entertain my little niece the only complaint I had was due to the fact the small tray which holds the bubbles is very shallow and mix that with an excited three year old equalled a lot of wet patches on the floor. The spillages were soon cleaned up and play soon resumed which ended up in the front garden and I can honestly say a lot of fun was enjoyed which made this beautiful toy the perfect addition to the play-box in this household.
The Melissa & Doug Bella Butterfly Bubble Blower is a great toy and one which my niece enjoyed, this is very easy to recommend but I would say have a deeper container for the bubble solution as it will save you a lot of hassle later on.

All the Light We Cannot See
All the Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr
Price: 11.89

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All the Light We Cannot See written by Anthony Doerr for me was quite a good read based on two characters who lived in the same era through a time in history who changed the world in so many ways, but yet seen a different war through their own eyes.
The writing of the book was very descriptive but for me I was constantly getting lost within the story-line mainly because of the very short chapters and with the different time frames also changing at times I had to go back to read chapters a few times until I fully understood what was happening with the two main characters and those closest to them.
Marie Clare was a young French girl who lost her eye-sight over a short period of time; she was a character who was rich in detail and along with her father who worked in a museum who was a very talented locksmith.
The other main character was a young German lad who had a talent for anything to do with radios and this was the characters for me who made the book interesting.
The author has a great gift of bringing characters alive along with their surroundings, but for me I was lost with the constant descriptive writing which did not quite ruin the book for me but just left reading the book a bit of a chore.
I feel this is not a book I could recommend to everyone but it is up to what a reader likes within a book, and what I may not like about this book could be another reader idea for a perfect read.

Melissa & Doug Create-A-Craft Car and Train Bundle
Melissa & Doug Create-A-Craft Car and Train Bundle
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun.., 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Melissa & Doug Create-A-Craft Car and Train Bundle for the kids was a good choice as they liked the fact that they could actually help to build a train and racing car. Both items are provided with stickers and vibrant coloured paints which I have to admit did provide a bit of mess but the kids enjoyed themselves and as far as I was concerned that was all the mattered.
The paints were very easy cleaned up and left no stain either on the floor or table.
The kids did need a bit of help but as far as they were concerned they built them and it give them a sense of pride.
I cannot fault these at all and therefore I am happy to recommend for other children who like to build especially for those aged five and over.

Melissa & Doug Chalk and Eraser Bundle (White)
Melissa & Doug Chalk and Eraser Bundle (White)
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars for those little scholars in your life.., 27 Aug 2014
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Melissa & Doug Chalk and Eraser Bundle for our boys was a good set of chalk which both boys have enjoyed using on their black board. Both boys enjoyed using the coloured chalk which did colours did stand out well when used on the black board. The eraser is a small one which is made of a felt material which I did find cleaned the board quickly. The two boxes of chalk plus eraser came packaged in clear plastic which I was a bit disappointed in as I thought a little coloured box would have made them stand out more.
For the price asked this a good set of chalk though the actual sticks are rather thin therefore I am not expecting them to last long.(especially with our two)

The Good Priest: A Father Vincent Ross Mystery (Father Vincent Ross Mystery 1)
The Good Priest: A Father Vincent Ross Mystery (Father Vincent Ross Mystery 1)
by Gillian Galbraith
Price: 12.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but it lacked something.., 25 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Good Priest written by Gillian Galbraith was quite a good read but for me there was something missing which would have made it a good read.
I liked the beginning of the read and I liked the main character - Father Vincent Ross and it was clear he was not quite happy with his lot but yet his love for the church was still there. When a man is found dead in a pool of blood not forgetting hearing something from an unknown person in the confessional - for me the book really had a good basis for a good read but for me personally this read had something missing.

The Greatest Love Story of All Time
The Greatest Love Story of All Time
by Lucy Robinson
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fab read.., 25 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Greatest Love Story of All Time written by Lucy Robinson for me was a great fun read with brilliant colourful characters which had me laughing out loud from beginning to end.
Fran as the main character was first class as she went from one mad episode in her life to the next, creating havoc everywhere she went which at one stage even included a war zone she was creating mad laugh out episodes with her crazy humour and caring heart.
When we first meet Fran she is dealing with a broken heart and dealing with it the only way she could imagine and that is hidden away from the world - that is until her friends really could not leave her sitting in her own feelings of self-pity. As Fran starts to remember what brought her down to living in pure neglect and self pity I was soon involved in her many ups and downs as she makes major blunders along the way. The author has a certain knack of bringing comedy into those times when I did not know whether or not to feel sorry for Fran as she stalks the man she loves - I have to admit I was thanking God I had not got a friend like Fran as I honestly would not have a clue how to deal with her but I know one thing no life would be quiet with having her in their lives. I bet there is a few people thinking the same. I loved this book for one main reason Fran had me laughing out loud and if you want something to cheer yourself up this is the book for you. The writing is fantastic and Lucy Robinson has not only for a gift for bringing storytelling to life with brilliant writing but her comedy timing is spot on. I know one thing if I ever see Lucy Robinson is ever giving a live comedy show I would want to be in the front row as she knows how to get those laughs deep from the bottom of one's stomach.

Kingston Technology 16GB USB 3.0 Micro Duo Flash Drive
Kingston Technology 16GB USB 3.0 Micro Duo Flash Drive
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited
Price: 7.80

4.0 out of 5 stars a handy little storage drive.., 23 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Kingston Technology 16GB USB 3.0 Micro Duo Flash Drive for me is a great little asset to my own phone and other compatible devices. I have the Moto G 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black and though an excellent phone I am unable to add extra storage and like many smart phone owners my phone is full of photos, apps, music etc. which certainly eat up much of my storage. I wanted something I could easily store the necessary files but yet I could easily have it with me at all times. This little drive is certainly everything I wanted as it is convenient as it is so small I can easily keep it safe in a purse but yet it holds 16GB without any hassle. For me it was a matter of inserting the drive where the charger lead goes therefore I would recommend you charge your phone before doing this. I went to settings and it immediately recognised the storage unit therefore I was able to add more storage unto my phone to either free up space on my limited phone or even for those apps which need extra storage to work to their full potential. I am able to transfer my files easily without hassle and without any complications. With its rotating cover it can be protected which makes everything about this drive purely simple. I like everything about this little drive from the price to the convenience and add in the fact that Kingston provides their drive with a five year guarantee this really is ideal for today's modern world where everyone's life is held together through their smart phones.

Though the drive states it is 16GB storage on my phone it stated I had an extra 14.64GB using this drive.

Celebrations in Burracombe
Celebrations in Burracombe
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the ninth visit to our favourite villagers..., 22 Aug 2014
Celebrations in Burracombe written by the very talented Lilian Harry for me was an excellent read and one which I enjoyed from page one. As a reader I was soon involved in the many problems and joys of the many villagers and for me I have to say this was my favourite book based on the village of Burracombe.
From page one I was brought back in time to June 1954 and I was soon involved in the life of Hilary as she faces life with or without her beloved David and it was really interesting to see a more vulnerable side of her as she deals with life's decisions those she has control of and of course where the future she so much wants is taken out of her hands. But for me the main family for this book was the Shillabeer family whose daughter Patsy first appeared in the last book of the same series Weddings In Burracombe. As Lilian Harry opened up the history of this family we were shown how domestic abuse was kept behind closed doors back in the 1950's. As Patsy faces married life estranged from her family - her father slowly moved more into a life which was hidden behind the name of extreme religion but was so far away from the loving religion which featured in another favourite couple of mine Felix and Stella and it was really interesting how the author brought this matter and how she used facts to develop a wonderful book of fiction.
My favourite part of this book as always was how Lilian Harry brought the county of Devon alive through her vivid descriptions of the beautiful county, of their rich local food but also through her writing I was able to hear the strong Devon accent of the characters and through her vivid writing I could actually hear within my mind how their own unique dialect sounds as they spoke their own unique language of deepest Devon.
I love Lilian Harry as an author as she has a gift of not only bringing her characters alive for her readers but as she describes the surroundings of the characters I can see what the characters see which makes the book an extra special read. I really feel I have a front seat as the many character's lives are unfolding, dealing with problems and of course how the villagers of Burracombe stick together especially when any of the villagers are in need they pull together to help no matter what creed or class they are there for each other. Some might see it as pure nosiness I see it as old fashioned neighbours being there for each other, if only we could go back to those times? Life would be so much better!(in my own personal opinion)

Celebrations in Burracombe was another wonderful read therefore I am very happy to recommend this as not only a brilliant read for other readers of historical fiction. I could not put this book down until I found out what happened not only to Patsy and her husband Terry, but also Hilary and of course Stella and Felix. The only part of reaching the last page is the fact I have to wait until next year when the next book in the series when Changes in Burracombe will be released August 2015. But I know for a fact the wait will be worth it as I am sure I will be in for a treat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20