Profile for Petra just a girl who loves to read... > Reviews

Content by Petra just a g...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 174

Petra just a girl who loves to read... "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pitch Perfect
Pitch Perfect
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect fun...., 25 May 2015
Pitch Perfect starring Anna Kendrick is one film which I have loved from it first was let lose to us public. I love everything about it and for me this is the one film I always turn to when feeling down or fed up. The actual acting with constant comedy is first class and mix that with fabulous one liners which are delivered to perfection especially from Rebel Wilson was for me the best past of this brilliant laugh out loud film.
The actual main story-line is based in a college where groups of young people are not only finding out who they are through singing and loads of hilarious carrying on this is one film I am happy to recommend to anyone who loves singing fun.

Duracell MN1604 Plus Power 9v Batteries--Pack of 4
Duracell MN1604 Plus Power 9v Batteries--Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars first class long lasting battery power..., 25 May 2015
Duracell MN1604 Plus Power 9V batteries is a great purchase for myself mainly because they are a top quality brand which are contained within a small square box branded with the correct Duracell label. Duracell is always the first brand I would aim to buy as I know they offer a great power for my battery power devices which will last a considerable amount of time if used correctly. I always know I am safe with Duracell as they last so much longer than not only cheaper brands but all brands they always outdo them all when it comes to battery power.
The one main bonus for me purchasing them from Amazon is the price as I have had to pay more than this for a double pack therefore getting four in a pack is one reason I know I will be returning for more especially using the Subscribe and save package.
I am happy to recommend Duracell 9V battery as they are perfect for our smoke alarms, tens machines etc. etc.

Cavendon Hall (Unabridged)
Cavendon Hall (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars life for those Up and Downstairs of Cavendon Hall.., 24 May 2015
Cavendon Hall written by Barbara Taylor Bradford was not only a good read but also it was an excellent audio experience which I did enjoy. The book is based on the Ingham family and those who served in their household the Swann family. There are many characters within this very readable book and each of them really added to the story.
The main era of the book is just prior and during the First World War and though there was some mention of the war this book really based the story on the goings on of the household and those who lived in and the surrounding lands. This was one book which I know I will return too as the author Barbara Taylor Bradford is well known for not only being a great story teller but she can bring her characters alive through excellent writing. The main characters were for me Charles Ingham and his family especially the beautiful Lady Daphne Ingham plus her delightful younger sister Dulcie who always had me smiling whenever she was part of the storyline.
Why I liked this book so much was the constant story developed throughout, there was no slow times - everything mattered to the story for me there was no wasted words which makes a great read for me.
The reason I reduced my star rating was mainly because at times the story-line was just too sweet and rather far fetched, I do not know if this was because of the audio narration as the actual narrator was a bit annoying when doing the separate accents and voices but that was only my own personal opinion. For me it did not take away this was an excellent story and I am now looking forward to the next book in the series The Cavendon Women and I am hoping Cecily Swann has a stronger role in the story-line.
One other complaint I had was I felt I missed out in an earlier book as there was a lot of history between the Swann and Ingham family but the author only hinted at the reasons for this - I do hope this is explained further and in more depth why the Swann's are so protective of the Ingham family and the same for the Ingham's are extremely protective of the Swann's also.
Cavendon Hall written by Barbara Taylor Bradford is a great read and audio experience and I loved how the story was developed with the separate characters narrating their own story, I am happy to recommend this read to all readers of historical fiction. I would actually recommend it especially to those who loved Downton Abbey - Series 1-5 [DVD] as it has typically the same format.

Wahl Pet Grooming Brush and Comb Set, 21 cm
Wahl Pet Grooming Brush and Comb Set, 21 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars brush and comb the dreaded knots away...leaving beautiful healthy hair..., 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wahl Pet Grooming Brush and Comb Set is one excellent set I wish I had years ago as for me it has turned grooming my dogs from a constant fighting to hold the oldest dog while grooming her long hair to a lovely relaxing time where she lies down and lets me get on with it. She even rolls over for me to brush the soft hair on her belly where I must keep it neat and tidy as she loves running through fields therefore collecting all the debris she can find. The brush is well made of top quality fast growing bamboo which leaves it a lovely smooth item to hold which is not only easy to grip but also comfortable. The brush as seen in the photo has two separate brush heads and for me the stainless steel pins glide through both my dogs long white hair removing any loose hair along the way, I find it very easy to clean either just using my hand or the comb provided in the set is first class at removing the loose hair from the brush. The plastic bristles is more for short haired dogs though I have used this also on my dogs hair as it smooth's the long hair of my dogs therefore leaving it long and straight which is a 'look' I love for both of them. The comb is excellent for helping to remove tangles or even for holding their hair so I can trim the ends of their hair.
I love my dogs and therefore I love them looking good at all times, I have to groom them every week to have them looking their best now with this handy set it has now become a more pleasurable experience as now they see it as a pampering experience instead of the dreaded slick brush which they hated as I do believe they find the Wahl Pet Grooming Brush and Comb Set a more comfortable, relaxing sensation.
I am extremely happy to recommend the Wahl Pet Grooming Brush and Comb Set as an excellent grooming aid to anyone who loves their dogs no matter what length or thickness of their hair.

Love, Sex and Other Foreign Policy Goals
Love, Sex and Other Foreign Policy Goals
by Jesse Armstrong

3.0 out of 5 stars a very long journey .. which soon had me wishing their destination was reached..., 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love, Sex and Other Foreign Policy Goals written by Jesse Armstrong for me was not quite what I hoped for as I found the writing a bit too excitable for me, it seemed to jump from one subject to the other without fully explaining what was going on as each scene seemed to take place. The main story is a group of young people who have their ideal world worked out and therefore want to help those in during the conflict which took place in Bosnia. The story for me did not capture my attention therefore when I reached the end I had to question myself "what was it all about?"
The main character was rather annoying as he was constantly trying to prove himself to his new found friends and as I followed them on their erratic journey I was soon counting the pages until I could find myself engaged once again with a good book which would entertain me throughout.
I am sorry but there is not much I can say I like about this read so for me Love, Sex and Other Foreign Policy Goals is not a book I can recommend.

Nightingales at War: (Nightingales 6)
Nightingales at War: (Nightingales 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only do the scars of the people have to heal.... Nightingale Hospital must also heal..., 21 May 2015
Nightingales at War written by Donna Douglas for me is not only a brilliant book but for me personally this is my favourite in the whole Nightingale series as the original characters have developed in so many ways it is impossible not to care for each of them uniquely.
The main reason I loved this book so much was how the author Donna Douglas catches the attention of her readers with vivid story telling and her descriptive writing held me tight until the last page was reached. Her vivid descriptions of the East End of London through the Blitz were so well done I missed nothing of what the characters were seeing which made this book so real for me. I loved how she brought the Blitz alive with not only the narration of each of the characters which told their own story but the history facts laced throughout the book strengthened my knowledge of this difficult era.
My favourite characters once again play a part throughout this brilliant read especially Dora and Helen, though Helen was a minor character this time I liked how we still got to know how her life developed from the previous book. Dora was a major part of the main story-line for this read you will see a more vulnerable Dora which made me love her more, of course the Assistant Matron who rules the wards with a rod of iron Veronica Hanley showed not only her love of authority but her bravery in the time of war really shines throughout Nightingales at War. As in previous books we are introduced to new characters and they also become an important part in the life of the famous Nightingale Hospital, and of course there was a couple of romances along the way but where there is war there is heartache.
Nightingales at War written by Donna Douglas is a fantastic read and one I know I will return too as I loved it so much, I would recommend this to anyone who not only has a love of historical sagas but those who just love to read a good book which is full of human emotions of every description also most importantly characters who develop throughout this very absorbing read plus not forgetting the one thing you will have is brilliant writing from a very talented author who certainly has a knowledge of nursing throughout the years.

1. The Nightingale Girls: (Nightingales 1)
2. The Nightingale Sisters: (Nightingales 2)
3. The Nightingale Nurses: (Nightingales 3)
4. Nightingales on Call: (Nightingales 4)
5. A Nightingale Christmas Wish: (Nightingales 5)
6. Nightingales at War: (Nightingales 6)
7. Nightingales Under the Mistletoe (published November 2015)

There is also a short story for this series which I would also recommend titled A Child is Born: A Nightingales Christmas Story

The Porcelain Thief
The Porcelain Thief
by Huan Hsu

4.0 out of 5 stars China's china?, 19 May 2015
This review is from: The Porcelain Thief (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Porcelain Thief written by Huan Hsu for me was a book which was not only a great read but one which was full of history detailing modern and old China. This was not only a very readable book but one which showed the author's detailed look at his past and that of his ancestors. This is a very readable book for one main reason its historical content was evident throughout.
This is Huan Hsu own story as he reaches into his past and I found it very interesting and extremely informative.
I am happy to recommend The Porcelain Thief as not only an excellent read but one which give a very good look at the history of China and its porcelain.

Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story
Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story
by Andrea Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars Old Russia and its inhabitants..., 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Galina Petrovina's Three-Legged Dog Story written by Andrea Bennett is a good book which I thoroughly enjoyed for one main reason was the humour and the Russian humour at that. The main character for me in this great read was the very observant and very funny Galina Petrovina as she searches for her dog which has three legs, as we followed her adventures this was one entertaining read while dealing with the very evil and very easy to dislike Mitya.
I liked the fresh writing from the author Andrea Bennett and her gift of story telling certainly grabs your attention while holding on tight to the reader.
Galina is one character which will certainly stay in your mind long after the last page is reached.
This is a good read which will entertain you while showing the reader the bitter rawness of living in Russia.

Pest-Stop PSIR-SH2 Small House Pest Repeller - White
Pest-Stop PSIR-SH2 Small House Pest Repeller - White

4.0 out of 5 stars solution to ridding of the dreaded insects and rodents... only time will tell..., 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pest Stop PSIR-SH2 Small house pest repeller is a good product which is a neat looking box which only takes a quick click of two switches and a flashing green light appears and the makers promise our days of being pestered by buzzing flies and other hated insects are long gone. Well I have to say so far so good. I plugged it in and opened the back door which is facing unto a rather large smelly farm. In the past when I opened the back door flies seemed to be waiting patiently to be let in and I must admit when I switched this on they seemed to decline the open invitation of an open door.
I have it set at the insects on one side and on the other button I turned on the pet safe requirement which is simply a quick slip of a switch. I would not consider purchasing another one and turning on the rodent switch as I have been assured they really do work. So far I have noticed no unwanted side effects either from us humans or the dogs which was my main worry, if this was the case I would immediately switch it off and go back to our old sprays etc.
I will update my review as time goes on but I will say from the 14th May I am quite happy to recommend this to other customers as we are fly and spider free for the first time in a few weeks.

Crayola-Colour Alive Colour Alive Barbie
Crayola-Colour Alive Colour Alive Barbie
Offered by Fun Collectables

3.0 out of 5 stars just not quite what I expected it to be..., 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Crayola-Colour Alive is a very thin colouring book which includes a link to a rather nice app for the children to download. This app enables them to see their pictures in 4D which was quite nice but for my nieces they unfortunately were not very impressed. They did like the pictures as they have a chronic love of everything Barbie. The colours included were nice but I felt there could have easily been more for the price asked. What makes this colouring book special is indeed the app, the one thing I do like about this was the fact that I was able to download more pictures for the girls to colour plus there is a special pen to enable them to help the app to work in an extra special way.
The figures jumping of the page was cool and kept the girls entertained for roughly five minutes, so for me the value of the app would need an extra bit of tweaking to entertain a couple of young girls.
I did like the package involved but for me personally and the girls this could have been so much better!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20