Profile for Petra "I love to read" > Reviews

Content by Petra "I l...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 163

Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Cazalets: The epic full-cast BBC Radio dramatisation
The Cazalets: The epic full-cast BBC Radio dramatisation
by Elizabeth Jane Howard
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars meet the Cazalets .., 24 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Cazalets written by ELizabeth Jane Howard The Epic Full Cast BBC Radio dramatisation is one set of CD's which I am happy to recommend . I have already read most of the books in the series therefore I knew I was in for a treat when I received this, now I can sit back and not only listen to Penelope Keith telling the story but each of the characters telling their own thoughts and feelings.
The Cazalets are from a well to do family and like many families they got together through holiday time and spent it together, getting to know each other once again while each of them had their own problems which they tried to hide from their many relations and their varying degrees of problems.
If you are a fan of this wonderful series of books this is a perfect way of reigniting your love of this loving yet at times eccentric family, you are in for a treat with this set of eleven CDs. It takes over twelve hours to listen to them all but it is a great way of listening to a series of books which will never grow old.

Jolly Ranchers Cinnamon Fire 198 g (Pack of 3)
Jolly Ranchers Cinnamon Fire 198 g (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars hot and sweet.., 24 Oct 2014
Jolly Ranchers Cinnamon Fire are a great tasting cinnamon sweet which creates a stronger punch from the cinnamon compared to other sweets from this taste range. The sweets last longer as the sweets are very hard and not so crunchy, so rather sore on the teeth but for me the great speed they clear a blocked nose. They are a great sweet to suck slowly as the description says it is "hard candy" and this sweet is certainly that. I actually bought these for my Dad who does suffer from chesty coughs etc. and he finds these to be a great sweet to ease coughs while tasting good compared to other cough sweets on the market.
If you love cinnamon this is a great sweet as the cinnamon flavour is very strong. I would not say that the Jolly Rancher Cinnamon sweet is a very sugary sweet as they actually only really taste of hot cinnamon and I actually do find them a very handy sweet to have in the house, especially whenever I have a cold or just want to have a sweet which will not disappear with a quick bite as this is one sweet which you will be sucking slowly while you let the cinnamon melt into your mouth while enjoying the hotness they are excellent at creating within your mouth while it spreads into your nose and throat. This is one sweet which will not only treat your taste sensation this is one sweet which will clear your nose so your smelling sensation will have a treat too.
The Jolly Ranchers Cinnamon Fire sweets are a sweet I am happy to recommend to all those customers who want a sweet which will give you a sharp kick from the wonderful cinnamon flavour.

Zyliss Zick Mini Food Chopper
Zyliss Zick Mini Food Chopper

5.0 out of 5 stars chopping without fuss.., 24 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Zyliss Zick Mini Food Chopper is a handy little gadget for chopping small portions of ingredients such as parsley, tomato(though personally I would rather cut these more finely myself as this machine will cut them roughly), nuts, garlic etc. I do like the Zyliss for cutting herbs etc. as the chopper is supplied with a little cup which holds the herbs together without spillage and the finer I want the herbs etc. cut I only have to press the gadget for a longer length of time. I actually find the Zyliss Mini Food Chopper very easy to use and with the zig zag shaped blade, it is very easy to get finely chopped ingredients in a very short period of time with very little work from me.
Why I like to use the Zyliss Zick Mini Food Chopper is mainly because it provides good results without any mess and with the little cup which is also see through I can see how fine or coarse the food I am chopping actually is. I find the Food Chopper very easy to wash as it is very easy to rinse through the actual blades as I find the top very easy to take apart though I am very careful with the actual blade as it is very sharp. The one main bonus I prefer to use the Zyliss Zick Mini Food Chopper takes very little force to press down the zig zag blade and with everything being enclosed I am not going to cut my fingers due to medical problems I am so pleased it takes very little force to press the blades down no matter what I am chopping. For larger foods I actually remove the chopping cup and just press the food chopper directly unto the foods e.g. onions I find this can be done quickly and easily and as long as I take care there is very little mess. This is so much easier for me than using a knife as it seems to take less force to press the Zyliss Chopper down rather than a knife also I can chop the food such as onions a lot quicker though it is a rougher cut compared to being more directly cutting the food with a knife.
The actual food chopper takes very little space to store and as it can be used for cutting small portions of ingredients i consider this to be a great little gadget.
I am happy to recommend the Zyliss Zick Mini Food Chopper to anyone who wants a device to chop small portions of food quickly and tidily without any fuss.

The Life I Left Behind
The Life I Left Behind
by Colette Mcbeth

4.0 out of 5 stars If you listen hard enough you can hear the dead speak.., 23 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Life I Left Behind (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Life I Left Behind written by Collette McBeth is an OK read which I quite enjoyed though at times I found it hard going and for me I found the characters rather hard to keep track of them. This is one book which is based on a murder victim and she can still talk to us, I found this to be rather unusual compared to other books based on this genre which I have read in the past, for me personally I felt it added a bit more mystery and more depth to this very readable book..
One of the main character's Melody is clearly in pain which the author has shown, but for me the main character was Eve the murder victim. Why I enjoyed this book so much was for me how the author brought the characters together even Eve "the body".
If you want a book which keeps you interested while constantly guessing to the very end this is an excellent book and for a debut book The Life I Left behind written by Collette McBeth is one book I can recommend to those readers who like their reading material filled with mystery.

Busy B Stylus Ballpoint Pen - Orange
Busy B Stylus Ballpoint Pen - Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Pen which is also a stylus on its days off.., 22 Oct 2014
Busy B Stylus Ballpoint Pen is a great little pen which has the added bonus of having a stylus available for tablets, kindle fire etc. The Busy B Stylus Ballpoint Pen is nice to look at with the most important thing is due to I like writing with it as the ink flows easily and smoothly with no disturbances at all within the writing. I like to use this pen as in the past I have been using a stylus on my Ipad etc. and then go to make a written note realising that I need to change my stylus to a writing pen.
I like everything about this particular model as it really is beautifully decorated and the manufacturer carries the decoration of the pen unto the sturdy box which the pen is presented in which really makes the Busy B Stylus Ballpoint Pen a good gift either for yourself or for someone special.

Mr Mac and Me
Mr Mac and Me
by Esther Freud

5.0 out of 5 stars a special friendship like no other..., 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Mr Mac and Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mr Mac and Me written by Esther Freud is an excellent book based on the era of the First World War especially the first year of the war 1914.. This is a book based on the era of the First World War but what makes this book special is mainly because it is told through the eyes of a child and how he sees the many painful outcomes which are put upon a village because of a war which is taking place in France, many miles away.
I loved this book mainly because of the excellent writing, for me though what made this book special was the innocence of the child character plus his friend the very well known artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh who lived on the Suffolk coast in 1914. The chapters of this wonderful book are quite short which makes this book very different from other books based on this era. But for me what makes this book special was how the author used a well known artist who is so well known through his work but this was an introduction through a book of fiction to a man I have always admired as an artist but for his personal life I knew very little about.
Mr Mac and Me written by Esther Freud is a great read which I am happy to recommend to other readers of historical fiction mixed up with a lot of historical facts.

Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Offered by Shoplet-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars handy for storage.. even when not in use..., 21 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Leitz Wow Click & Store A4 Storage Box is an excellent storage box for all those A4 files you want to keep safe and secure, with the added bonus it is developed with a secure fitting lid. The actual box is made from a top quality material which is very robust and for me my favourite part of this box is the very eye catching pink colour which would brighten any dull office in even the coldest day.
I am happy to recommend the Leitz WOW click & store A4 storage box as it not only looks good but it holds my files all together in a very robust file container which comes with a handy carry handle. I also like the fact that the corners of the lid have metal edging which will keep the box in a good condition. As in times past I have purchased box files and they always seemed to fray at the corners, with this excellent storage box the lid actual box and lid will stay in good condition because of the excellent metal edging.
I like the fact that the box actually comes in a flat pack which makes it very easy to store, with a quick pop up action the box is ready for use. I love the colours also available as they are all very bright and will colour coordinate with many of today's colour schemes.

A Song for Issy Bradley
A Song for Issy Bradley
by Carys Bray

5.0 out of 5 stars what happens when the God a loving family worshipped and loved with all their heart takes away their beloved child..., 21 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A Song for Issy Bradley written by Carys Bray is one book I know I will never forget, not only is it so well written but the story-line was so absorbing I was totally engrossed from page one. Issy Bradley is a young child who sadly dies from meningitis, but this is not the main story-line just part of it as the main story-line for me was the entire Bradley family who are totally heartbroken at the loss of Issy but the many feelings they have to encounter through their grief along with their faith as their faith is special in a way as they belong to the much talked about but sometimes very understood the Mormon faith.
Why I liked this book so much was mainly because the characters were so well developed that I could stop not stop caring for them even when the last page was reached. As I read Claire's story who was Issy's mother and her husband who was a Bishop in the Mormon church I could fully understand their many feelings of grief, guilt and even their anger at the God they worshipped. Even through the children's many feelings of not understanding why their little sister was taken from them so quickly.
If you want to read a book which is not only an excellent read but a book which will remain with you for many weeks to come, this is one book I know I will return to as it is so well written I want to return to these characters who were so well developed I felt I knew them personally.

The Year I Met You
The Year I Met You

5.0 out of 5 stars The Year I met you ...changed her life forever...., 20 Oct 2014
The Year I Met You written by Cecelia Ahern for me was a great read which I thoroughly enjoyed as it was so well written I felt I was totally involved in the life of Jasmine as she not only deals with the loss of her job she has to learn to accept the many changes in her life which she really has no control off. These changes included her sister Heather and as a reader I fully understood as she tries to protect Heather from pain and upset from the outside world.
Heather is Jasmine's elder sister in age but in personality Jasmine still sees Heather as the sister she had to protect as Heather was special she was born with Down Syndrome, but in Heather's own way she was living the life she wanted to live while still living under the guidance of Jasmine. But Heather was growing up, she might have progressed slower than Jasmine but this does not stop Heather from wanting what other single women wants which includes a boyfriend and this is hard for Jasmine as Jasmine did not want Heather hurt. I liked how the author showed Heather as a strong person, it might of taken her a longer time to understand things but when she did she never forgot.
This is Jasmine's own story as she narrates how she sees her life as a failure not realising how accomplished she is. But this is also Matt's story as we see him through Jasmine's own eyes and it was interesting how these two neighbours became friends and of course Dr Jameson's own story was as heart-breaking but yet it showed the reader how lonely it can be for pensioners living alone especially at those special times like holidays and Christmas.
If you want a book which resembles PS, I Love You or her other books which are based on broken hearts and relationships, this book will be a disappointment as this book is based on one girl accepting that life does not always work out the way she had always planned. Jasmine always controlled her own life and because of this she always knew where her next job was going to take her and how and when she was going to leave her employment to start another one this for her was her totally controlling her own destiny, and in the past she always sold her past companies she owned but this time she was pushed before she had the time to jump from the ship she called her business and for her this was totally a bewildering place to be as she no longer had control of her own working life. In a way Jasmine was a total control freak which she thoroughly enjoyed as she chose when to leave her employment, she never was told to go before which she found extremely hard to accept.
As Jasmine accepts she has a full years paid leave which her business partner calls 'gardening leave', she takes the title to heart and she is soon changing her patch of ground which she previously cemented over. I loved how Jasmine starts to remember how her Grandfather planned his garden around the seasons and we follow Jasmine over the course of the year of her so called 'Gardening leave' as she deals with the loss of her job while getting to know her neighbours and their own problems. As she tries to take control of her own garden Jasmine will soon learn that the seasons of the year control the nature of growing. She is soon enjoying her work in the garden but she progresses as the seasons allow. Jasmine changes her cemented over garden area to an area of natural beauty which included her replacing her paving stones with grass and flowers which change with the seasons, and of course her water feature stands proudly which she created in her own unique way with the help of a friend or two along the way she soon realises that life cannot be totally controlled and sometimes it works better when you stand back and let nature take control you never know where your life will lead you too and what friends you will make along the way. I loved this book mainly for the excellent writing but also because Cecelia Ahern certainly knows how to not only write a book filled with characters a reader can relate too but have a life lesson along the way.
Why I liked this book was mainly the author lets the reader get to know Jasmine slowly and as a reader I was soon involved in her life and as her history is released I was soon understanding why Jasmine is the person she is, as she slowly lets her self relax and come to understand who her neighbours are and why they are the people they are. While helping her neighbours they soon become friends and while helping them she also is aiding herself overcome the many problems she held unto from her past. As Jasmine learns many life lesson she is also accepting that Heather is no longer the child she had to protect but now a grown woman with a home of her own. This for me is a nice gentle read about one young woman allowing herself to be happy and stop locking people in her red circle of trust and slowly letting them into her green circle where they soon realise how nice she really is and how dear she loves her sister who is not special because of her Down Syndrome but she is special because of the woman she grew up to be.

The Year I Met You written by Cecelia Ahern is a good read which I enjoyed mainly because I could sit back and relax while enjoying Jasmine and her many mad ideas which I could understand but led her away from the path she thought she should be on.

Twist
Twist
by Tom Grass

3.0 out of 5 stars fast paced and constant action.., 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: Twist (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Twist written by Tom Grass is an excellent book which I did enjoy and I am happy to recommend to other readers especially those young readers who love a bit of action within their pages. The main character is Twist and as the title suggests, the famous book by Charles Dickens namely Oliver Twist. The writing is good and the author certainly knows how to hold on to a readers attention.
The only main complaint I had was I had to constantly back track throughout the book as I was constantly getting mixed up with the characters. The book is suited for those readers who like fast paced books with plenty of action throughout.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20