Profile for Petra "I love to read" > Reviews

Content by Petra "I l...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 159

Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
THE FAIRYTALE TEA DRESS SHOP IN EDINBURGH (Tea Dress Shop Series Book 2)
THE FAIRYTALE TEA DRESS SHOP IN EDINBURGH (Tea Dress Shop Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars tea dresses are brought to life with the needle and thread ..., 22 Dec 2014
The Fairytale Tea Dress Shop in Edinburgh written by De-Ann Black for me was a lovely read which I thoroughly enjoyed from page one as I was soon entranced with the life of Delphine and her very talented way of bringing vintage dresses to life through her wonderful unique designs and love of fashion.
This is one book in a series and to be honest I thought it was the first book but this did not spoil the enjoyment I had of reading this short yet very entertaining read. As a reader I was soon involved in the life of Delphine as she gets to know her neighbours in the surrounding shops. What I liked about this read was how the author showed Delphine's love of sewing and bringing new life to vintage clothes. This book had it all - it was full of emotions and what I loved most was not only the writing of the book but how the author has designed the actual layout and how each chapter is split not only with lovely titles but beautiful decorative pictures of flowers, which really added something extra to a very enjoyable book.
I am happy to recommend The Fairytale Tea Dress Shop in Edinburgh written by De-Ann Black as a great little read filled with beautiful girlie clothes and everything us girls love about dressing up.

The A to Z of You and Me
The A to Z of You and Me
by James Hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars the A to Z of living..., 22 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The A to Z of You and Me written by James Hannah is one book I am very happy to recommend to other readers of modern day fiction. This is one book which will keep you reading as you learn more about the main character and what brought him to the hospice he finds himself in. The descriptive writing of the actual hospice made me want to know more about the actual hospice and those we meet within those walls. The carer named Sheila was an angel on earth as she tries her best to bring Ivo the main character back to living his life again, even though she knew he was dying she had a wonderful way of showing what living truly meant to those within the hospice.
Why I loved the book so much was mainly the brilliant writing as I was soon drawn into the life of Ivo and how he started to look back at the life he once lived while learning to deal with the fact he was dying.
This is one book which will have you reading until the last page is reached.
The A to Z of You and Me is a very readable book which I am happy to recommend to other readers who like their books filled with real emotions and so much more.

Polti Vaporella Forever 670 Steam Generator Iron
Polti Vaporella Forever 670 Steam Generator Iron

4.0 out of 5 stars steam your creases to oblivion..., 17 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Polti Vaporella Forever 670 Steam Generator Iron is a very good working iron which you can manage through separate sets of controls which include the temperature control on the actual iron and regarding the steam control is based very neatly on the back of the actual base of the iron holder.
This model is actually the energy economic model which according to the maker it has a built in Eco Function that automatically sets up the ideal steam pressure which should save both electric and water. To be honest I had to refill the water tank twice before realising I had not switched this button on and I soon realised this really does help water usage plus it helped the iron to produce less steam which I found more suitable for my own needs.
The actual company which manufactures this iron is an Italian company which explained the actual "appearance" of the iron as I am so used to any iron I have owned in the past having a very pointy front with this one it was very circular. I found this iron very smooth to use and the actual iron was very comfortable to hold. The actual iron is manufactured with a special Focus Steam soleplate with anti-scratch and anti-adhering ceramic coating; this really helps the iron to glide over any clothes I have ironed which includes denim.
The one main point which makes this iron an iron which I would recommend to other customers is the professional results which this iron produces are first class if used according to the manufacturers manual. I would also recommend the web site as it has very interesting points about the actual company which clearly cares about the world we live in today and its many green issues.
This iron is an excellent steam generator which I found to work very well, I like the fact it is a more compact design compared to my older model which I have loved from day one. My older model is more than three years old and I have to say it is a lot bulkier and heavier than this model, I am sure there have been a lot of changes regarding sizes of these fantastic steam generator irons through this time.
The only reason I removed one star was for the price asked another well-known brand manufacturers as similar iron which the user does not have to change settings as it automatically does this.
The Polti Vaporella Forever 670 Steam Generator Iron is a good iron which produces first class results, it also has the additional function of being able to steam clothes while hanging on hangers this is a great way of freshen clothes especially those that can only be dry cleaned by a professional. I have also found this very good at straightening and freshen up curtains quickly and very conveniently without any hassle whatsoever.
The Polti Vaporella Forever 670 is a great working iron which I am happy to recommend to other customers, it works well and the results I have found personally to be first class if used properly. I find changing the temperature rather inconvenient but this is a small niggle of mine.

Wolf Winter
Wolf Winter
by Cecilia Ekbäck

3.0 out of 5 stars cold and dark just like the surroundings.., 17 Dec 2014
This review is from: Wolf Winter (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wolf Winter written by Cecilia Ekback was quite a good read which soon had me involved with the lives of those involved. The book was full of mystery which I did enjoy. The constant questioning of what actually happened and the author certainly knows how to write atmospheric storylines. This is one book which will show you the coldness of this bleak country - the mystery will have you entertained throughout.

The Invisible Library
The Invisible Library
by Genevieve Cogman

4.0 out of 5 stars this book has it all ... including a new, fresh exciting lead character you will soon be hooked.., 17 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Invisible Library (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Invisible Library written by Geneviene Cogman is a book I am happy to recommend to anyone who likes a large dose of mystery within their reading material. This for me was an unusual genre as I usually would stay well clear from this kind of reading material, but immediately from the first page I was soon involved with the lead character as she had so much going for her in so many ways.
The main character was for me Irene as she seeks a manuscript for the very secretive organisation she works for.
The main reason I loved this book was the fantastic writing as the author certainly had me hooked from page one. This is one fantastic read which was full of imagination and so much more. This might not have been a genre I would have had much time for in the past but with great writing from this truly talented author I am willing to make an exception.

Some Luck
Some Luck
by Jane Smiley

4.0 out of 5 stars mid west comes to life..., 16 Dec 2014
This review is from: Some Luck (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some Luck written by Jane Smiley for me was a good read which consisted of old fashioned writing which had me entertained for one main reason it was unusual how the author used Frank from a baby to narrate the story. I enjoyed how this changed as time went on. The story showed how life was for the first thirty years of Frank's life, the story actually continues in following books.
This was a good read as it showed what life was like on a farm back in the 1920's which as a history lover I found enjoyable.
If you want a book full of excitement this book might not be for you but if you want a nice quiet read this could be the one for you.

Someday Find Me
Someday Find Me
by Nicci Cloke

3.0 out of 5 stars not only was the character lost, think part of the story-line went AWOL.., 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: Someday Find Me (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Someday Find Me written by Nicci Cloke for me was an OK read but one which I know I will forget all about, the writing was fine and therefore the story-line was relevant in today's world especially for the youth of today. This book for me brought the subject of Anorexia to the front of my mind and really opened up to me how a those who suffer from this horrible disease lives with this totally controlling inflicting condition. The story is told showing both sides which really added to the story. But once I got into the book I felt there should have been so much more. This is clearly a book which could have been so good but maybe it was the subject involved but for me this is certainly a book which unfortunately I am unable to recommend to other readers of modern day fiction.

Inflicted
Inflicted
by Ria Frances

5.0 out of 5 stars inflicted pain.., 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: Inflicted (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Inflicted written by Ria Frances is one of those books which had me gripped from the first page as the characters lives were united in the face of trauma and heartache yet they found an unlikely friendship through this heartache and tragedy. This is a book based on two characters who are not only separated by age but life has been so different from each of them except both recognise pain in each other. This book truly has it all and I was gripped by the story which had me when we first meet Theo and Anna as Anna is soon nursing him through his injuries which have been self inflicted, we are soon involved in Anna's heartbreaking past but what is Theo's story and this is for me when I understood why Theo is the boy he is.
If you love a book which as you gripped from page one which is not only based on historical facts but mainly this is a book based on survival. The book's author Ria Frances is an author which not only knows history but one which shows the reader the pain and heartache through wonderful vivid writing which certainly had my heart strings pulling. Anna's story was for me the one which I wanted to know so much more about but that is only because I love history.
Inflicted is a book which is not only got a fantastic story but one which I know I will not forget as it not only showed the true horrors of the Nazi regime against the Jews through the years of the Second World War but it was also a story of a young boy which suffered so much through the hands of those who were supposed to love and protect him.

Mobile Library
Mobile Library
by David Whitehouse

3.0 out of 5 stars not all families are united by blood..., 11 Dec 2014
This review is from: Mobile Library (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mobile Library written by David Whitehouse is one book I can honestly say I have not read a book like it. Not all families consist of blood relatives and for me personally this book proved this as a young boy finally meets someone who would love him unconditionally while feeding him his favourite pass time a love of books.
This for me was more than unusual in so many ways but a book which had many dimensions though at times it was rather uncomfortable reading. This is not a book for everyone and indeed it proved to be either a book you will love or hate, though for me the jury is still out as I for me though a well written book but one which held so many emotions I found them at times hard to understand.

My Name Is Parvana
My Name Is Parvana
by Deborah Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars one girl who provides a voice to the silent..., 11 Dec 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Parvana (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Name is Parvana written by Deborah Ellis is for me a really good read which I thoroughly enjoyed, I wished I knew this was part of a series as I believe I really would have got so much more from reading this book. This young woman was an inspiration to many and I do believe this would be a great book for a school to include in it's reading material. When we first meet Parvana she has been arrested by American soldiers on suspicion of being a terrorist. We are then brought back to prior her arrest and this for me was such a fascinating story which had me gripped as I followed one young girl fighting to provide a voice to those in need.
I would happily recommend Parvana to anyone who wants not only to read a book which not only has a great story-line but also one which has a message which will speak volumes to so many people.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20