Profile for Petra "I love to read" > Reviews

Content by Petra "I l...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 160
Helpful Votes: 1988

Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SanDisk SDWS1-064G-E57 Connect 64 GB Wireless Media Drive
SanDisk SDWS1-064G-E57 Connect 64 GB Wireless Media Drive
Price: 79.74

4.0 out of 5 stars A very handy little gadget.., 13 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The SanDisk Connect 64GB Wireless Media Drive is a very handy drive which has proved to be very useful already especially when sharing the pictures of a special occasion. The wireless drive app is easily found via the SanDisk Media Drive website which will take you directly to the app which is needed for the drive, this can be purchased free of charge either through Amazon App store , Google Play or Apple Itunes. I found the actual app very easy to install and even better I was very pleased when I had downloaded the app there was very helpful directional videos within the drive already with a few other photos, music etc. For me the videos were so easy to follow i was following stage by stage and within a few minutes I was able to use the drive easily and quickly.
The drive has its own WiFi signal for you to be able to transfer your photos, films etc quickly and easily and I found this very handy when I had two children too entertain. I was able to connect their Kindle Fire HDX to the app using my phone and therefore transfer a film using a couple I had downloaded to my smart phone which I always like to keep to keep the boys entertained on long journeys etc. The instruction videos are also available to the smart phone which I found useful when explaining to family and friends how it worked and I know using these members of my family are now going to purchase the Sandisk Media Drive and I know it has proven very useful when sharing presentations as the Sandisk allows you to transfer videos up to eight devices at the same time. I also found the drive very useful for storing items as I had too much storage used up on my own Kindle fire and now I am able to free some very valuable space using the media drive.
The one thing which you have to always remember is you have to go to the Sandisk Wifi which will be listed with your normal WiFi listings. This must be used for the drive to work once you have your app installed everything else I found to be useful.
For me the Sandisk Wifi Media Drive is an excellent purchase and one I know I will have loads of uses for. I am happy to recommend this to other customers to buy as it works great, easy to use and as it is so small very easy to carry around for those times you know you want to share your memories among your friends and loved ones especially through facebook or other people's smart phones etc.

Moonlight Serenade - Secret Skies Over Bletchley Park
Moonlight Serenade - Secret Skies Over Bletchley Park
Price: 4.03

5.0 out of 5 stars While you're away, please remember me, when you return, you'll find me waiting here..., 6 Mar 2014
Moonlight Serenade - Secret Skies Over Bletchley Park written by Philomena Liggins for me was another fascinating read by an author who certainly knows the history of Bletchley and especially about those talented young people who sourced out the many answers they needed to so many questions which being at war with Germany and Japan arose on a daily business. What really intrigued me with this book was how they sourced out the many answers out of machines which were in fact could be said the actual beginning of the computer age.
This indeed made a fascinating read for me but what made the actual book once again was the many characters which filled the pages of this short read but one which certainly entertained me from page one. The women in this book certainly helped win the war but even through the long, unsocial hours they all had to work they made time through having one day off per week for a romance or two which usually in those days was brief due to the many young lives which were lost due to fighting the war and for these characters a lot of the men were lost through fighting the Germans from the air as they flew the many now well-known aeroplanes which were really being developed through this time in history.
Moonlight Serenade is a book I would highly recommend as a great read as the author certainly knows how to write a great read even mixing it up with the odd ghost or two which really did bring the past and actual history of Bletchley to life which made the book one I know I will not forget. From Lady Ashley as she cared for those in her command in her own unique way to Pearl as she learns to accept the man she loves so much is leading a life which is so dangerous she might lose him but for her the only thing she has is her very secretive work to keep her mind occupied while he was away from her. Each of the characters really were part of this book and really added to the story, even those men who were true boffins in their own unique way while doing important war work in Bletchley they could not admit to those closest to them what their actual jobs were and though their work was helping win the war for Britain they were treated as cowards because they were not in uniform..

Moonlight Serenade- Secret Skies Over Bletchley Park written by Philomena Liggins is a great read and one which really opened up to how the Second World War was won aided by those who were working in the depths of Bletchley as well as those brave men who fought on the battlefields..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2014 2:15 PM GMT

Footprints - Secret Lives at Bletchley Park
Footprints - Secret Lives at Bletchley Park
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A look into the life of the WRENS who worked in Bletchley Park.., 5 Mar 2014
Footprints - Secret Lives at Bletchley Park written by Philomena Liggins for me was an excellent read which give me an insight into the lives of the men and women who worked in the world famous Bletchley Park through the Second World War.
I have to be honest when I first started to read the book I was not sure as I thought I was reading a guide book but soon realised this was so much more, it in fact was partly a ghost story based on historical facts through the 1940's.
The main characters in this first book of a two part series was Roberta (known as Bobbie to her friends) Bobbie and Charlotte(lovingly known to her friends as Charlie). The girls were from two completely different worlds as Bobbie was from working class Durham and was blessed with a heart of gold while Charlie was from a titled family and her home was London. These girls turned out to be the best of friends and their friendship grew as their time in Bletchley learned the importance of their work was soon made evident. I loved the friendship of these two girls and their personalities shone through the very vivid writing of this talented author. What also shone through was the area where Bletchley is based plus what life was really like for those who worked in it, sometimes even leaving them in bad health as the one thing that always came first was defeating the Germans.
If you like to read books based on the era of the Second World War this is one book I am happy to recommend, I would say it is not a long read but it is a very enjoyable read which as well as been an excellent work of fiction but one where I learned more about the lives of those who worked in this place which is world famous but yet the work at the time was not known outside the walls of the very famous Bletchley Park. The second book in this series is titled Moonlight Serenade - Secret Skies Over Bletchley Park which I can also recommend as a good read.

Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Cleansing System Exfoliating Face Wash Cleanser & Device
Price: 25.35

3.0 out of 5 stars there are better options out there!, 2 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Cleansing System is not what I would call Super as I found the actual cleansing not as good as another product I bought for a similar price. I actually found the Olay brush very soft and it reminded me of a baby's hair brush it was so soft. I liked the actual exfoliating wash which does add a bit of a boost to the soft brush. The speed of the rotation of the actual cleansing system for me was rather slow.
One thing I find is a minus for me is there is no timer available which I did find useful in my other cleansing system. So either it was guesswork to how long I cleansed my skin for or time it myself which I found rather awkward especially in the shower.
I do like the fact the Olay Regenerist is waterproof which makes it easy to use with no spray but I do believe the actual system could be made better with a couple of minor adjustments.

Vanishing
Vanishing
by Gerard Woodward
Price: 11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars meet Kenneth Brill the man of mystery..., 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Vanishing (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Vanishing written by Gerard Woodward for me was a great read which had me totally engrossed as we follow the arrest of Kenneth Brill as he remembers his time through the army up unto his arrest for painting pictures. At times I to be honest had to repeat a few pages as I did get lost along the way but was soon back in the flow of the story. It was an interesting story and why I like it so much was it was a complete picture at a man who I felt had something to hide but could not fully understand what, was it physical or emotional?

The author has a certain talent for telling a good story which I thoroughly enjoyed and for me this is one book I am happy to recommend this marvelous read.

Snow White Must Die
Snow White Must Die
by Nele Neuhaus

4.0 out of 5 stars thrilling read, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Snow White Must Die (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Snow White Must Die written by Nele Neuhaus for me was not only a good read but one which had me thrilled with constant suspense as we follow the police finally realising that the man they sent to prison for murder ten years ago is not the killer they once thought he was. Tobias was a normal young man who had plans to become a doctor but cruelly his plans were destroyed when he was sent to jail for the crime of killing two girls, one known as Snow white as she resembled the girl of beauty from the famous fairy tale.
For me as a reader this was no fairy tale as this was a crime which not only destroyed the lives of those who lost loved ones but the lives of Tobias and his family was destroyed in equal measure.
If you love to read a book which is filled with suspense and fantastic writing in equal measure this is the book for you. Snow White Must Die is a book I am happy to recommend to other readers who love their reads filled with constant suspense and action throughout.

Cole & Mason Derwent Salt & Pepper Mill Giftset, Stainless Steel, 190mm
Cole & Mason Derwent Salt & Pepper Mill Giftset, Stainless Steel, 190mm
Offered by CostMad-UK
Price: 54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good addition to any kitchen.., 1 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Cole & Mason Derwent Salt & Pepper Giftset, Stainless steel for me is a lovely gift either for your own kitchen or for someone else. I love using this particular set for one main reason is they are easy to handle even for myself who would have problems caused by painful hands. Another plus for me is that you can choose how fine or coarse you prefer your salt or pepper, this is particularly useful when cooking. The actual mills for me are easy to clean and with a quick rub of a soft cloth is all they really need. I also find the actual mills easy to refill, therefore for me Cole & Mason certainly knows how to create the perfect salt and pepper mill set and along with their famous grinding mechanism which grinds easily with faultless movements makes this the perfect Salt and Pepper Mill gift set for any home.

Oliver and the Seawigs
Oliver and the Seawigs
by Philip Reeve
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars follow Oliver and his adventures..., 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Oliver and the Seawigs (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oliver and the Seawigs written by Philip Reeve is a book I am very happy to recommend to anyone who wants a book which will not only entertain their children but fire up their imagination. Our little boys loved this book been read to them as yet they were too young to read for themselves as the oldest has only started school. The illustrations were captivating even for me reading to the boys and I was soon absorbed in the story-line of Oliver as he completes his exploring meeting new characters along the way.

Expo 58
Expo 58
by Jonathan Coe
Price: 8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars satirical comedy..., 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Expo 58 (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Expo 58 written by Jonathan Coe for me was a great read as we follow the main character namely Thomas Foley when he is sent to open a British pub in Brussels due to the Expo of 1958. This for me was mainly a good read due to the comic element plus the very detailed period detail. The main character Thomas Foley was great and from page one I have to say he kept me entertained as he was introduced into the life of a spy, but poor Thomas will never be the next James Bond.
For me if you want a book which is rich in detail, filled with humour and historical facts this is the book for you and I know for one I will be reading more books by Jonathan Coe as he has a brilliant gift for story telling and keeping his audience entertained.

The Broken Circle Breakdown [DVD]
The Broken Circle Breakdown [DVD]
Dvd ~ Veerle Baetens
Price: 17.20

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite what I expected.., 26 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Broken Circle breakdown was a love story set to a wonderful soundtrack which I have to be honest the music was my favourite part of the whole film. The actual film is a love story based on a tattoo artist falling in love with a Bluegrass musician but as always real life gets in the way, and for this couple was a sick child which would have tested the strongest of relationships. The film was well acted but the actual story-line was rather misleading at times.
In my personal opinion it is a film you will either love or hate, for me personally the music made the film for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20