Profile for Petra just a girl who loves to read... > Reviews

Content by Petra just a g...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 175

Petra just a girl who loves to read... "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
The Book of Lost and Found
The Book of Lost and Found
by Lucy Foley

4.0 out of 5 stars lost and found.., 19 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Book of Lost and Found written by Lucy Foley for me was a beautiful story told by separate characters and their look at a very unique life. Like all good books it did take a while for the real story to begin and it was interesting to see how the main characters developed according to their parentage. As the book is told in separate time zones was for me an interesting look how the characters were connected.
This is mainly a love story based around the time of war but for me the development of the storyline as it is told through the separate characters in the different time frames yet these characters are joined through a painting and this is where the real story began and soon i was hooked reading each of the characters own stories.
This is a brilliant book which I enjoyed once the actual story really got started, this is one which brought history alive while still showing the love for one woman through the painting of the one woman he loved and painted.
I am happy to recommend the Book of Lost and Found to anyone who wants a story which will bring you in a journey which will show you the horrors of war while still showing the feelings of love which raged through the horrors of war.

Oral-B Pro 2000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush - Pink
Oral-B Pro 2000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush - Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars tooth cleaning goodness...., 17 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oral-B Pro 2000 Pink Electric Rechargeable made by Procter & Gamble is another good quality rechargeable toothbrush which provides great results and for me the nice clean feeling after using an Oral B toothbrush is well worth the money. Why I like this brand of toothbrushes is mainly because I can give this toothbrush a full charge and not have to worry about charging it up to roughly 10-14 days and this includes cleaning my teeth 2 - 3 times per day.
I have been a fan of this make of toothbrush as I was always sure of top quality results and for the price asked the toothbrush would give me a couple of years of great cleaning without any hassle. In the past I have also been very pleased with the length of time the actual brushes last without any fraying of the actual brush plus there is a marker on the actual brush head which will tell you it is time to change the actual brush head. Braun, Oral B Precision Clean Refill 4pk Toothbrush Heads The actual tooth brush is very easy to use and with this basic model which is a limited edition pink colour looks good in the bathroom and for me as a female is a strong indicator that it belongs to me.
The actual brush though a cheaper price compared to Oral B more expensive models is a very good toothbrush and the 3D movement which also has a visible pressure sensor- (this is a light which turns on when pressing too hard) leaves my mouth feeling the same clean feeling I would have got in the past from the dentist when they polished my teeth.
Like most rechargeable toothbrushes there is a two minute timer which I always use as this is the recommended time I was advised by my dentist plus the fact the pulsating of the actual toothbrush head massages my gums which leaves them healthier. Oral-B Pro 2000 Pink Electric Rechargeable toothbrush is an excellent purchase which provides great results and this is one toothbrush I am happy to recommend.

Kent's Kitchen Beef Gravy 220 g (Pack of 3)
Kent's Kitchen Beef Gravy 220 g (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars beefy goodness..., 17 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kent's Kitchen Beef Gravy for me was a handy alternative from my usual making gravy from scratch(the way my Mum taught me) but I have to say this was very nice and made an excellent beef gravy which was very tasty and I have to describe it as a very strong beef gravy, therefore a little went a long way.
I love gravy and for me no meat is tasty enough without it, and for me this is a real handy way of making it without having to make it the usual longer alternative for me personally.
With the added bonus of being gluten free this is a perfect gravy as in the past I would have had to make an alternative for separate family members . I have been a fan of Kent's kitchen store cupboard assets and do like the majority of them but for me I would have to add a bit of extra water as I would find their flavours are a lot stronger compared to usual gravy granules/curry/sauces etc. I do believe this is because they manufacture using better quality ingredients and this is made clear for me mainly because the taste of their products is so much richer and the quality is so much better compared to supermarket brands. I would continue to purchase Kent's products as I do like the taste and quality of their products.
I am very happy to recommend Kent's Kitchen Beef Gravy as not only a top quality product but also one which tastes just like our Mummy's used to make(well in this household this is very much the case).

Jakob's Colours
Jakob's Colours
by Lindsay Hawdon

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful read.., 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Jakob's Colours (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jakob's Colours written by Lindsay Hawdon for me was not only a good read but one which was beautifully written yet it was one which brought a time of history which has been written about so much yet there was so much more I feel I have yet to learn about it. The story is based on a child and it's family and their time through the Second World War while been haunted down because of one reason they had Gypsy blood.
The book from the first moment draws you in and I feel I have to know more about these people and how they literally survived through this horrific time. If you want a book which you can lift up and read and then forget about it this is not the book for you as not only will this book fill you with a brilliant story-line but will show you a life no child should never have had to experience. I loved how the author showed the characters and their strengths through this time especially the child and how he talked to his parents through his thoughts and dreams.
Jakob's Colours is a wonderful book and I know for certain once you read this you will never forget such a breathtaking yet soul aching story.

Love and Treasure
Love and Treasure
by Ayelet Waldman

4.0 out of 5 stars a pendant which connects history., 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Love and Treasure (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love and Treasure written by Ayelet Waldman for me was not only an entertaining read but one which was filled with beautiful writing based on the many treasures which were stolen from those who died in the Holocaust through the reign of Hitler and his Nazi followers. The actual book is based in three sections where the characters are connected with the treasure of a necklace.

The actual storyline is good and entertaining the only slight annoyance was the characters and how they were shown to myself as a reader as at times I found the actual storylines were missing something vital.

This for me was a good read but I like a historical fiction written that in such a way I could believe it actually taking place in the past. I do believe this is one book which will not suit all readers of historical fiction but for me it was rather a case of loving it or simply disliking everything about it.

A Nightingale Christmas Wish: (Nightingales 5)
A Nightingale Christmas Wish: (Nightingales 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars another visit to the famous Nightingale Hospital., 15 Feb. 2015
A Nightingale Christmas Wish written by Donna Douglas for me was another excellent read written by this very talented author. For this book the year is 1939 and of course the Second World War is on everyone's mind. The Nightingale nurses are doing their best to nurse the sick while dealing with their own problems and what made this book extra special the older nurses were the main characters and it was interesting to see how their own past still played a part of their future. Nurse Effie who we met in the last book was another main character and she really was another interesting character as she finally stands up for what she knows what is right. I loved how the author showed Helen who appeared throughout the series and not only showed her excellent nursing skills but we also see her as a vulnerable widow facing an unknown future.
If you enjoyed the previous books of this series you are in for another treat, in my opinion the writing was so good in this book as a reader you would enjoy reading this as a stand alone novel as everyone's background is brought up to speed as the book continues.
I am happy to recommend A Nightingale Christmas Wish written by Donna Douglas as not only a wonderful work of fiction built on historical facts but one which is filled with a brilliant and addictive story-line. Now I am patiently waiting until the next book in the series which is published in May 2015 titled Nightingales at War (Nightingale Girls 6) where we find Great Britain is at war once again and we pay another visit to the Nightingale Nurses where we follow their nursing while showing bravery throughout.

Hidden
Hidden
by Emma Kavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden from view..., 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Hidden (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hidden written by Emma Kavanagh for me was a great read which I thoroughly enjoyed from page one as it was full of constant suspense and with the odd dead body(quite a few dead bodies to be exact). I loved the writing which had me gripped with one of the main character being the shooter himself. The book then takes you to a few days prior to the shooting and as a reader you will finally understand what made this one man take a gun and shoot the innocent men and women within the hospital cafe.
The book is very well written and the author certainly knows how to write a book which will keep the readers guessing throughout.
Hidden is a book filled with constant guessing and suspense throughout, Emma Kavanagh is a very talented author and if you love to read a book which will keep you reading and entertained throughout this is certainly the book for you.

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins

4.0 out of 5 stars she buried her child.. but can she be sure which child did she bury????, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Kindle Edition)
The Ice Twins written by S.K. Tremayne is one book which once read will never be forgotten; from the first page I was drawn into the life of Angus and Sarah Moorcroft and their surviving twin Kirstie or is it Lydia..?
I was immediately drawn into the life of Angus and Sarah as from page one their pain is evident, for me the book is full of darkness including every emotion associated with grief. This brilliant read was for me a dark thriller which was as dark as the landscape which surrounded the family when they moved to their derelict home on so called Thunder Island.
This book was full of unanswered questions as I tried to keep up with the main character Sarah as she comes to terms with losing her child who she clearly adored, but she had the one thing which brought the face of her dead child back to her each day and that was the remaining identical twin. Lydia the remaining twin or was it Kirstie was deeply troubled and reliving her nightly nightmares in the most horrible of circumstances.
The Ice Twins is a fantastic book and one I am happy to recommend to any other reader which will have you guessing to the last page is reached. S.K. Treymayne brought us readers not only a fantastic very readable book but one which is fresh and exciting and there is no other book I can think off which I would even dare to compare this very exciting read too.

Philips BRT381/15 BikiniGenie Trimmer
Philips BRT381/15 BikiniGenie Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars for your intimate area...., 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Philips bRT381/15 Bikini Genie Trimmer is a must for all us ladies who like to keep their bikini lines in a nice neat well manicured shape without the pain of waxing or even the uncomfortable itch you get with other well known shaving products. When I first opened the box I was pleased to see the nicely designed pink trimming machine which will fit neatly in a nice little pouch.
The actual trimmer is powered using a battery and with the added bonus the trimmer is designed to be able to use in the shower. The actual handle is made from a non slip rubbery feel casing which will prevent any accidental drops of your trimmer when hands are wet etc.
The actual trimmer is supplied with a guard therefore you can choose to have a slight covering or if you remove the guard you will remove all hair. I would advise to use a body lotion(scent free) to prevent any uncomfortable itching.
I do like this Philips Bikini Trimmer as it provides excellent results with no pain whatsoever, especially coming up to the holiday time when we all like to wear our holiday gear without worrying.
Philips certainly know the hair removal business and they are the first port of call when it comes to appliances for myself personally as I know I will always receive great results.
I am happy to recommend Philips BRT381/15 BikiniGenie Trimmer to anyone who likes to keep their intimate area neat and tidy.

Nightingales on Call: (Nightingales 4)
Nightingales on Call: (Nightingales 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars revisit the Nightingale hospital..., 9 Feb. 2015
Nightingales on Call written by Donna Douglas was another brilliant read based on the lives of the nurses of the Nightingale Hospital in London. There were nurses from the first three books including Dora and Millie and even Helen appears briefly as she comes to terms from losing her beloved Charlie.
I loved this book as there were new characters which included Jess Jago and Effie who has followed her sisters Katie and Bridget who have appeared in earlier books of the same series. As I followed the very gifted Jess with the heart of gold and the very naive Effie as she arrives in London trusting everyone she meets
Nightingales on Call for me was the best of the series but then I have loved each of the books and with each introduction of nurses their story grabs hold of me and Donna Douglas has a gift of giving her readers characters that it was impossible not to care for each of them. Sister Sutton is shown in a new light and as I got to know the woman behind the uniform I soon realised she had a heart behind that hard exterior which she ruled the Nurses home daily with always accompanied by the ever vigilant Sparky her beloved Jack Russell dog.
Effie brought many laughs into the series and her new life in London is so far away from her village life in Ireland and as she makes friends especially with Jess she soon realises what being a nurse actually entails.
This is a great book and I loved it from page one. Nightingales on Call written by Dna Douglas is a book I am happy to recommend to anyone who loves historical fiction which has characters who fill the book with many laughs and tears throughout.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30