Profile for Mr D. Whitehead > Reviews

LEGO City 3365: Space Moon Buggy
LEGO City 3365: Space Moon Buggy
Offered by Mytoyfactory

5.0 out of 5 stars Still THE Best Construction Toy!, 18 Nov 2012
I recently rediscovered the joy of LEGO at the age of 19, and I have to say its still as awesome as it was. The set is only small but for £5 its really not bad at all. A nice set, with a great Minifig and looks great combined with the rest of the Space part of the City range.

Cyanide and Happiness: Ice Cream and Sadness
Cyanide and Happiness: Ice Cream and Sadness
by Rob D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious (Again), 18 Nov 2012
I'm a huge fan of the C&H comics online, as is my Girlfriend (the person who I bought this for). If you are happy with just looking a these online then you may not want to bother with this. But as a gift or just something nice to flick through it is excellent. The book is very well presented, a lovely cover and the pages are excellent quality. The new comics are up to the same standard as the online ones and a nice addition into the book, but my favourite part is the 'activity' section in the back of the book, which had us both in stitches with plenty of ridiculous (and offensive) material.

Overall, this is a great buy for any fan of the comics, or for introducing someone new to the series, and at £7 its a snip!

Cyanide and Happiness: I'm Giving You the Finger
Cyanide and Happiness: I'm Giving You the Finger
by Rob D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 18 Nov 2012
I'm a huge fan of the C&H comics online, as is my Girlfriend (the person who I bought this for). If you are happy with just looking a these online then you may not want to bother with this. But as a gift or just something nice to flick through it is excellent. The book is very well presented, a lovely cover and the pages are excellent quality. The new comics are up to the same standard as the online ones and a nice addition into the book.

Xbox LIVE Gold 12-Month Membership Card (Xbox One/360)
Xbox LIVE Gold 12-Month Membership Card (Xbox One/360)
Offered by BenCullen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 18 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I won't get into the frankly ridiculous XBL is better than PSN or vice versa argument, as I would say they are really much of a muchness.

I would always buy a pre-paid code for XBL as giving Micro$oft your card details is not a good move. This way you are free from unwanted auto renewal and no temptation to buy random Microsoft points. Plus it is much cheaper to buy from Amazon anyway.

I'm sure if you are buying this you know what you're getting, so I wont go into much detail on features. To put it simply, you need XBL to play online in any game, download premium content from the marketplace and use XBL apps like Youtube, Facebook and paid subscriptions like Love Film, Netflix and Sky. The Xbox website can give you the full feature list.

Overall, if you want an XBL subscription then this is probably the place to buy it, a decent price without any ties to auto renewal or card problems.

FIFA 13 (Xbox 360)
FIFA 13 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars A Step Up From FIFA12, 18 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 13 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
FIFA 12 in my opinion was average, and marked a year for me where PES was starting to look even more enticing. However for me FIFA 13 has really improved the game. As far as gameplay goes I only really play career mode, I'm not a fan of UT or Seasons or really much online play so I can't really comment on these.

Having said this the overall game is very good, it is as fast paced as previous games and the gameplay is quite flowing and relatively realistic as 6 minute halves can go. The graphics look quite nice and faces look decent, I'm not someone obsessed with real faces or boots, I just want a decent game. And in my opinion this is.

Now for the reason I bought this. Career mode. Overall it is a major improvement from 12, the new transfer system is less outrageous, there are only a few big moves each window, all for more realistic prices. The option to exchange a player is good, and adds a bit more depth. The new animations, with the manager and subs is a nice touch too. CPU teams are quite effective, but can sometimes become a bit demoralised too easily, once you go over 3-0 you can tear a team apart. The budget restrictions can be straining (only £8 million on lightest restrictions for my beloved Birmingham City), but again more realistic, and the board can be a bit demanding. International mode is fun, great for a bit of time off from your club, and you can develop players for your chosen country through your youth system. This is a major improvement, the youth system is much better, players grow quite fast and can be very effective in first team play, though it is still hard to find left footed players, and skill moves/ weak foot/ positions are still a bit mixed up.

Overall a very good game, still has that bit of magic that makes it worth the buy. There is still much to improve and is probably what FIFA 12 should have been, but not enough to stop me from buying it for another year.

Toshiba 32BV502B 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Budget TV, 18 Nov 2012
I bought this as a TV for my room in a student house, mainly for my Xbox and general procrastination! At first glance it looks like a smart unit, well built with a decent remote and some rather fancy touch buttons on the set.

The picture is excellent, very well balanced colours and the blacks are nicely defined with plenty of depth in the picture, no washed out look that you find on some TVs. There is little motion blur on fast paced viewing like Formula 1. The picture from the Xbox is also excellent (I use a £5 HDMI cable I bought from Amazon), Halo 4 and Forza look fantastic, as well as pretty much every other game. With my laptop connected its the same story, the picture is nicely reproduced with excellent scale. I honestly can't see much difference in picture to my parents £700 Sony bought 2 years ago (it is also HD Ready with similar ppi).

The sound is average, I am not a fan of backwards facing sound bars, especially as mine faces into a small cavity. The sound can be a little tinny and there is little to no bass. However once connected to my Hi-Fi the sound is fine, I would suggest using an external sound system to achieve better results. Having said this, you may not find much different on high end models as most companies seem to be going in for rear sound bars in an unfortunate case of style over function.

There are plenty of connections on the back, 2 HDMI, Scart, USB, Headphone Jack, A/V Composite to name a few. The menus are simple to navigate, changing source and channel is easy and the TV guide is quite good for a budget model.

Now for the niggles, there are only a few and are hardly deal breakers for me. Firstly the touch buttons while a nice idea are a bit hit and miss, they can not respond at all and then suddenly overreact to the slightest touch which can be annoying at times, but I rarely use them anyway. The other (and worst) problem is turning the TV on, it can take a few clicks of the on button on the remote to actually turn the set on which can be annoying. Once the set is on it is great, and turning the set off is fine, but a bit of patience is needed to turn it on.

Overall this TV is a great budget buy, I'm sure there are better models out there for more, but I paid £220 for this and feel it was worth every penny, maybe not as a main set but certainly for a bedroom or elsewhere. There are a few minor problems but these are far outweighed by the quality of picture and general look of the set. All in all an excellent buy, I would definitely recommend this!

HDMIKing- 2 Meter (6.6 ft) HDMI KING Gold Plated, High Speed HDMI to HDMI Cable with Ferrite Cores [Fuss-Free Packaging]
Offered by RightPriceUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Cable, 17 Nov 2012
A great quality cable with gold connections. Gives an excellent picture connecting my Xbox 360 to my TV, can see no difference in picture when using a £50 cable from a specialist store. The shielding seems good (there are ferrite cores at each end) however when my laptop is connected I seem to loose my TV signal, though this could be my laptop as I never have this issue with the Xbox. All in all an amazing cable for £5, give it a go you won't be disappointed!