Profile for A. Roberts > Reviews

Offered by Urban Gifts
Price: 12.90

4.0 out of 5 stars A good laugh, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Waving Solar Queen
My friend laughed out loud when she opened this. The Queen started waving straight away. Maybe a bit expensive for what it is and the novelty will probably wear off soon, but an unusual gift.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
by Michael Chabon
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Long winded!, 1 May 2012
I only got to page 160, and probably wouldn't have got nearly that far if it hadn't been selected for a book group. Out of 8 members of the group, only 1 read the book, and she said it needed serious editting. The idea behind it is good - perhaps condensed to 200 pages would be manageable.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
by Deborah Moggach
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 17 April 2012
I was so pleased to see another book by Deborah Moggach as I think she's a great author. Please still read it if you've already seen the film - the book is so much better and there are lots of differences between the two. Although the film was ok, it wasn't nearly as good as the book.

Daughters-in-Law
Daughters-in-Law
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Daughters-in-Law (Kindle Edition)
It was easy to relate to the interesting characters. The book develops well and I was eager to continue reading it. An easy read.

Surprised by Hope
Surprised by Hope
by Tom Wright
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Long winded!, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Surprised by Hope (Paperback)
The actual book didn't live up to my expectations having read the information on the back of the book. I felt it was rather wordy, a bit boring, and drawn out at times, and I'm sure that it could have been condensed into fewer pages. If I hadn't wanted to finish it to join in the discussion at a church book group, I would probably have skimmed more! However, I do think that many of the ideas in the book, and suggestions as to what we should do now, are well worth reading, and so I'm glad that I read it.

Cutting For Stone
Cutting For Stone
by Abraham Verghese
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Cutting For Stone (Paperback)
I would certainly recommend this book. It's a great 'fiction based on fact' read, as can be seen from all the acknowledgements at the back. I felt great empathy for several of the characters and loved the descriptions of life in 'Missing hospital'. I've passed the book on to a friend and recommended it to others.

The Screwtape Letters: includes Screwtape Proposes a Toast (C.S. Lewis Signature Classics, Sixtieth Anniversary Edition)
by C. S. Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, 29 Dec 2011
I found that it took a few letters to get into the book, but then there was so much to consider about the work of the devil in our lives. An unusual approach to writing about God. You need to read it twice, maybe once going straight through fairly quickly, and then a letter a day, with time to think after reading each one.

Bullet Points
Bullet Points
by Mark Watson
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining writer., 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bullet Points (Paperback)
Mark Watson is a great writer. This, as all his other books, make you want to carry on reading. His writing leads you to feel great empathy for the characters.

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall
Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall
by Kazuo Ishiguro
Price: 10.83

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 25 Sep 2009
Remains of the day is one of my favourite books, and so I expected more from Ishiguro.

Daughters of Jerusalem
Daughters of Jerusalem
by Charlotte Mendelson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars family relationships, 25 Sep 2009
This review is from: Daughters of Jerusalem (Paperback)
This is a great book; as I read it my sympathies towards the different characters changed and developed. The story builds up to a good ending.

Page: 1 | 2