Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for bibliophile > Reviews

Content by bibliophile

bibliophile

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pack of 10 Natural Cotton Shopping Tote Bags - Shoppers
Pack of 10 Natural Cotton Shopping Tote Bags - Shoppers
Offered by Legendary Leisurewear

4.0 out of 5 stars OK bags but beware shrinkage!, 19 July 2016
The fabric is serviceably thick on the bags as supplied and I found only a couple of minor stitching errors. However I washed the bags at 60°C to remove any sizing and to pre-shrink them because I plan to dye/stencil them for sale. They shrink a lot: after washing and ironing, they're roughly 34.5cm wide, 376cm deep and the handles form loops c. 30 in height. They're still a useable size, and the fabric's somewhat thicker thanks to the shrinkage, so 4 stars - but if you NEED bags of the unwashed dimensions, take note.

Also, washing has brought out a sort of herringbone/twill patterning in the cotton, probably a function of differential twist in warp and weft yarns. Not a major problem, it can be pressed out if necessary but you'll need a hot iron and lots of steam.

Suma Cherries 1 kg
Suma Cherries 1 kg

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., 3 May 2016
This review is from: Suma Cherries 1 kg (Grocery)
The pack I received this morning isn't quite as described or photographed. I ordered these because when enlarged the pack label says "Ingredients: Cherries" I didn't want wildly sweetened sour cherries; I wanted *sour* cherries that I could sweeten to taste in cooking.

I understand that vendors are at the mercy of their own suppliers, but nonetheless: I bought this item based on a label that says Ingredients: Cherries, plus General Information: Free From Additives.

What I've got has "Ingredients: Sour cherries (53%), Sugar, Apple & Lemon Juice Concentrates, Sunflower Oil". I know some oil is needed to prevent the fruit from sticking together in a solid lump; it's the sugar and apple juice concentrates that annoy me. This kilo of cherries is apparently 530g cherries plus 470g other stuff, mostly sugar.

The nutritional info differs as well. Comparing the pack I received with the label for the item, per 100g: I have 350kcal, not 335 (small difference, but a difference); I have 0.2g fat rather than 1.1g, I have 82.1g carb of which 57.9(!) is sugars - which is in fact a *lower* sugar content than the 82g/66.4g of sugars on the item label. I have 4g fibre, the item label said 0.9g; I have 3.0g protein, the label has 4.5g; I have 0,03g salt ('naturally occurring) where the item label has 1.7g.

Having opened the pack to test the taste - the morello flavour was good, but they're almost as sweet as raisins with just a sour tang - I can't return them. I'll use them in chocolate chip cookies rather than stews.

RHA MA750i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone with remote and microphone - 3 year warranty
Offered by R H A

5.0 out of 5 stars After a year, still marvellous sound and comfort. And customer service!, 19 April 2016
And after more than a year of steady use (3x per week at the gym, plus random travelling), they're still in perfect condition. Previous earphones have failed when the plastic cable stiffened and/or broke; the plastic used for this cable is just as flexible as it was a year ago. As others have said, the sound quality is excellent. Just as important for me (the gym has rubbish taste in radio stations), the noise isolating works astonishingly well if you pick the right earphone tips - and the array of different shapes and substances supplied with the earphones means it's possible to do so. I went with white double flange, myself: good isolation, the earphones never shift in my ears, and I can wear them for several hours without discomfort.

RHA's customer service is good, too. I lost one of the tips at the gym and can't find the rest of the earphone tips in our household Black Hole of Electronic Trivia to work out which size I need (large or small). I emailed RHA with the dimensions of the one remaining, and John just replied to tell me it's a large, and that they'll send me a new set.

Love my RHA earphones.

The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book One
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book One

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. This is good, and I've been foolish., 9 April 2016
I read a couple of Jim Butcher's early Dresden Files volumes and wasn't impressed, so haven't looked at any of his more recent work… until now. I can't remember why I decided to buy this - perhaps so many of my online acquaintances love his work that I decided to try again - but I am so glad I did.

This is well-written, characterful fantasy with a steampunk vibe. The characters themselves live. Each is neatly flawed; the human heroes are witty and intelligent as well as heroic, the villains appropriately villainous without dwelling too much on the details of their nastinesses (JB seems to realise the readers' imaginations can fill in the details), and the cats are … cat-like. Events so far flow without missing a beat, the world-building is detailed but not distracting. I like it a lot. I want the next volume to hand when I finish this one, but no such luck. I'm consoling myself with the thought that by the time it's released it will be time to read this again. And in the interim perhaps I should look at some of his other work!

Fibre Glass Roman Blind Rods 4mm 10 x 3 Metre
Fibre Glass Roman Blind Rods 4mm 10 x 3 Metre

5.0 out of 5 stars Roman line rods are exactly that., 9 April 2016
Although they could be used for kite building, or anything else requiring fibreglass rods.
Arrived coiled for safety and ease of transport, once unwrapped they straightened nicely. Exactly what I needed. I cut to length with kitchen scissors and sand the ends to smooth them: do all of this outside to avoid the dust/fibres that could damage one's lungs.

Balance Activ BV Vaginal Pessaries 7 pessaries box
Balance Activ BV Vaginal Pessaries 7 pessaries box
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, so to speak., 16 Feb. 2016
balance activ pessaries and gel do seem to have changed my life. This might be TMI but if you're reading this you might like more info: menopausal changes to vaginal pH have left me very vulnerable to BV; if I use the gel regularly (every two days) and the pessaries when my sense of smell tells me something's not right, I can control it. It's not ideal - both gel and pessaries produce fluid that 'leaks', so are best used just before bed, and wear underpants with a pad of some sort - but it's miles better than BV. I tell myself the fluid is flushing out the nasty, which it probably is. For an indication of whether or not the gel and pessaries might help you, try a vaginal pH testing kit (or just use ordinary pH paper). I'm pH8 even using the gel regularly, when the ideal pH is c. 4. BV bacteria thrive at the higher pH.

Be aware that this is control, not cure: if you stop using the pessaries or gel, the BV is likely to recur. Unless your vaginal pH changes (I wish).

Optibac Probiotic Womens Intimate Health Capsules - Pack of 30
Optibac Probiotic Womens Intimate Health Capsules - Pack of 30

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a microbiologist…, 2 Feb. 2016
… so I don't actually know that the bacteria are colonising the genital area, which is what I'm hoping for. The internet – and my doctor – both suggest that a probiotic such as this might help lower my vaginal pH, so it was worth a try. There has been a beneficial change in my gut activity since I began taking the capsules (2 per day for the first 3 days, 1 per day after that, with an extra spoonful of my usual breakfast yogurt) and I seem to have slightly less wind than I'd come to regard as normal, so I'm going to continue taking the capsules.

Come as You Are: the surprising new science that will transform your sex life
Come as You Are: the surprising new science that will transform your sex life

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Emily Nagoski., 12 Jan. 2016
I bought this book because I think I have a problem (in Nagoski's terms "I think I'm broken"), and the reviews and description led me to think this book offered a starting point for me to find out if I have a problem. It does. If you think you're broken, or you spend time with people who might think they are, read this book.
Nagoski's simple, frank explanations, focussed on reassuring the reader time and again that different is Normal, unexpectedly left me in tears, but hopeful: I am not broken, just one of the many differents that combine to be normal.
This isn't an easy book to read if you're my kind of different. It can't have been an easy book to write: even after years of working in the field, finding the words to address all the readers when you can't see anyone's face, must requires time, skill and compassion. I am very grateful that Emily Nagoski has all three.

Denon Envaya Mini Portable Premium Bluetooth Speaker with NFC - Black/Blue
Denon Envaya Mini Portable Premium Bluetooth Speaker with NFC - Black/Blue
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome speaker!, 6 Jan. 2016
Hearing is believing, as they say. I've heard worse sound from full size stereo speakers. Classical and rock, both are rendered cleanly with an astonishing depth and resonance for a speaker of this size. And I have no idea at all how something that tiny can sit there and emit good stereo sound - the separation is incredible. I cannot thank the other reviewers enough for convincing me to buy this.

Also (but slightly less important): it's a nice understated design, the blue and black is elegant, and I had it playing while charging within 5 minutes of the parcel arriving at the door - totally intuitive setup. Having only + and - for volume is slightly unnerving, but I'm going to assume that Denon wouldn't allow me to play it loud enough to damage the speaker. AC/DC, here we come!

Roots & Shoots Yellow Butterfly Feeder
Roots & Shoots Yellow Butterfly Feeder
Offered by Buy a Bargain

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably a good idea, but needed modifications to work for me, 6 Jan. 2016
I bought this primarily to feed bumblebees because the weather is too mild for them to hibernate effectively and there are relatively few nectar sources to sustain them here from November until March or so. I think it might work: I've hung it next to the winter-flowering honeysuckle that they're already visiting.

The feeder I received had problems.
The first is that the metal hook screws into a plastic upright that, on mine, was off-centre. This means that the feeder hung crooked and swung enough in a light breeze to spill/leak syrup. I solved this and made a more stable mounting system by heating a nail to punch a hole in each of the flanges, by the fruit dishes. I cut two lengths of string, secured the ends through the holes with large knots, then tied the centre of the strings together to form a loop to hang from a branch. Works a treat, much more stable, but the string will wear so I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Second problem is a design issue: there are no partitions in the syrup compartment, so once it tilts the weight of the liquid means it keeps tilting. partitions would help but for this price it's not a major issue.

Now to see if the bees like it. I have fed them in the past from small jars with needle holes punched into the lids (the bees' tongues went through the holes to feed, but the holes were too small to leak. Mostly) so I know the principle can work.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2016 4:24 PM BST