Profile for David Potter > Reviews

Churches, Revolutions And Empires:1789-1914
Churches, Revolutions And Empires:1789-1914
Price: 15.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing insights, 18 July 2014
This book uniquely brings together history, philosophy and theology in a way that shows the delicate interactions that are usually overlooked. It thus offers a far better route to understanding the events which have shaped our world.

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A comic without pictures, 20 May 2014
Whacky connections put me in mind of the bizarre world of Beano and Dandy. A good read in the same spirit as previous book by this author.

Creation, Power and Truth: The gospel in a world of cultural confusion
Creation, Power and Truth: The gospel in a world of cultural confusion
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes if you are in the know, 20 May 2014
A reasonably good understanding of philosophy and Scripture required to get the most from this book. Found it pointed to some important connections but not sure about comments on Paul's political stance.

The Age of Nothing: How We Have Sought To Live Since The Death of God
The Age of Nothing: How We Have Sought To Live Since The Death of God
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the age of anything would have been better, 4 April 2014
Peter Watson accepts Nietzche's statement that God is dead. He is not concerned to challenge it, just to examine how philosophy has wound its way to the present day under the shadow (or spotlight?) of this realisation. So Watson tracks with vast knowledge and considerable insight the almost infinite and diverse range of options that have been pursued as substitutes for religion and God. What I found fascinating was that fact that, although they have dismissed God as a reasonable option, philosophers (atheist and agnostic) seem obsessed with him. Watson's concluding chapter, in which he sets out his choice of the range of possible explanations for our innate sense of the transcendent, is deeply disappointing in that it offers no better way forward. My conclusion was that Biblical Christianity is by far the best explanation on offer!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 3:37 PM BST

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
Price: 2.00

2.0 out of 5 stars When the writing spoils a good story, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
It was other reviews that persuaded me to buy and read this book. I have just breathed a huge sigh of relief: I finished it!

Donna Tartt obviously did a great deal of research before writing this book - and it shows, or shows off. She clearly dug deep into subjects as diverse as antique restoration, drug addiction, art history, alcoholism, Amsterdam and New York, the world of art theft and probably a whole lot more. The problem is that she regurgitates all this stuff in vast quantities, acres of it padding out with detail and slowing an otherwise interesting storyline. Her characters talk incessantly, sometimes vast wandering meanderings through feelings and experiences. Veritable verbal diarrhoea. Was it her fist book? It will be the last of hers that I read.

Rustins PCGL1000 1L Plastic Coating and Hardener Gloss
Rustins PCGL1000 1L Plastic Coating and Hardener Gloss
Offered by Transtools
Price: 17.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Good clear varnish, 12 Nov 2013
I have been using this stuff for years and have yet to find anything to beat it for clarity and ease of application. It is better than acrylic for getting a really fine high finish, though I wish the brushes could be cleaned under the tap!

Cascamite Powdered Resin Wood Glue 1.5kg
Cascamite Powdered Resin Wood Glue 1.5kg
Price: 16.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do, 12 Nov 2013
It's a long time since I mixed glue and I guess that is the disadvantage of this stuff. But it makes a good bond and does not stain the wood.

The Indian Clerk
The Indian Clerk
Price: 4.12

1.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly boring, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Indian Clerk (Kindle Edition)
I have this problem: I cannot leave a book unfinished. Often it takes me to the point when I really get into it. This was the most boring book I have read in 30 or more years. I very nearly broke the rule of a lifetime and gave up on it. On reflection I wish I had!

Risk Takers
Risk Takers
Price: 5.55

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK book, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Risk Takers (Kindle Edition)
Not very original or particularly gripping. Fell short of some of the commendations in my opinion. Not sure that it added much to the pool of wisdom.

C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet
C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Objective, 4 Oct 2013
This is a good biography in that it admires what is admirable but is honest about C S Lewis's oddities. His was a rather sad life at the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3