Profile for David Potter > Reviews

Content by David Potter

David Potter

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are (FT Press Science)

3.0 out of 5 stars Buddhist science?, 1 July 2015
Much of this book is about fascinating findings in the field of brain research. It is weakened, in my opinion, by the way Buddhism is used as the author's main point of reference. The final chapter is positively evangelistic for Buddhist mindfulness.

Vanishing Grace: What Ever Happened to the Good News?
Vanishing Grace: What Ever Happened to the Good News?

5.0 out of 5 stars With you Philip, 21 Jun. 2015
In a world that seems increasingly hostile to Christianity Yancey deploys his great skill as a writer to call the church and Christians to live out the grace of the gospel. It is this that is vanishing, inhibited by fear that is misplaced. Yancey calls us to a lived out response to the heart cry to be heard on every hand. As I finished the book I wanted to call out, 'I'm with you Phil!'

The Sea Walker: A Bible Mystery Story
The Sea Walker: A Bible Mystery Story

2.0 out of 5 stars Unconvinced, 6 Jun. 2015
This book gives me a problem: I am in sympathy with its Christian background and its obviously evangelistic goal, but I found it fell short both as a story and as literature. It takes an odd subject for its narrative and tries to make a gripping tale from it. The result is an unconvincing tale with more crises than six months worth of Eastenders. I wished that I could break my rule of not leaving a book unfinished.

Overrated: Are We More in Love with the Idea of Changing the World Than Actually Changing the World?

4.0 out of 5 stars Passion for action, 25 May 2015
A passionate plea for Christians to engage in justice rather than just talk about it. Less reasoned than Tim Keller's Generous Justice but aiming for a heartfelt response.

Trail of Broken Wings
Trail of Broken Wings

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for tissues, 12 May 2015
Other men may feel as I do that this is not their sort of book. As an insight into abuse in Indian families it may be outstanding, but it failed to light my fire. It was as if started life as a romantic novel but was hijacked somewhere along the way.

Why Do Buses Come in Threes?: The Hidden Maths of Everyday Life
Why Do Buses Come in Threes?: The Hidden Maths of Everyday Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting surprises, 2 May 2015
I'm not into maths but the title of the book intrigued me. The content was certainly intriguing with some interesting twists along the way. The reason I gave it three stars was because I didn't have the patience to play along with the number games. If you enjoy such things this book is certainly for you.

Just Send Me Word: A True Story of Love and Survival in the Gulag
Just Send Me Word: A True Story of Love and Survival in the Gulag

4.0 out of 5 stars True love requires grit, 16 April 2015
This is a love story without sentimentality but one that is powerful in its endurance through circumstances which should have crushed it. Through war torn Europe on into the wastelands of Siberia the commitment of this young couple held firm. It offers an unusual glimpse of life under Stalin's dictatorship both in Moscow and at the same time in one of the notorious gulags.

Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure
Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting thesis, 2 April 2015
I wasn't prepared to have to remember so much from chapter to chapter. You need to keep your wits about you as you read, but it will be worth the effort.

A Well-Tempered Heart
A Well-Tempered Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful unreality, 18 Mar. 2015
There is something beautiful in the idealism of Buddhism that does not connect with life as we know it to be. The end of the story is almost too complete to be real, but it is only a story after all, no matter how well told. I need a faith that is more tailored the spiritual realities I face but I enjoyed following Julia on her pilgrimage.

The Scriptures Testify About Me
The Scriptures Testify About Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin!, 7 Mar. 2015
If, like me, you are looking for a book about Christ in the Old Testament this is not it, in spite of what the title says. It is a series of conference addresses which were supposed to be on that theme but are more about the Gospel in the Old Testament. Some are good on this topic, some less so. The only one to address the issue is by the editor, Don Carson, and he manages to be unduly complicated in expounding the role of Melchizadec as a type of Christ.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5