Profile for Mark Hudson > Reviews

Content by Mark Hudson

Mark Hudson "MH" (Croydon)

Borderlands 2 (PS3)
Borderlands 2 (PS3)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly good game., 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Being a mature gamer my concentration seems to wane pretty quickly these days and my patience to get into games isn't what it once was. A lot of games I own gather dust on the shelf because of this but not this one, this one is truly special and deseves your attention.

I'm about 25-30 hours in, level 28 and can't get enough, half FPS, half RPG you inhabit the world of Pandora carrying out various missions as a Vault Hunter looking for treasure and ultimately looking to take out Handsome Jack, the archrival of all vault hunters.

The thing that sets this game apart from others in the same field is the lure of finding that next weapon that is better than your current arsenal - you want to keep searching chests and doing missions to find that elusive orange item that will make that difficult mission you're stuck on achievable. Because the weapons are simply fantastic and joy to use and are the star of the show. Borderlands 2 boasts a near infinite number of weapons due to the random combinations of manufacturers, scopes, elemental damage and other attributes that are on offer. The moment I knew i was hooked was when I was stuck on a particular character who had a shield that couldn't get past - I did other missions until I stumbled upon a weapon that did electric damage, which is effective against, you guessed it, shields. Went back and overcome the mission with my new toy and thats how its been ever since.

It's not just the guns either, don't be fooled by the comic book cell shaded and humorous style (which is brilliant by the way) as there's some pretty in depth number crunching elements and decisions to be made reagrding your character, sheilds, class mods, relics, character style (commando or gunzerker?) which all play a part to shape which path your vault hunter goes down.

The game is huge with multiple playing areas that are so big you need vehicles to negotiate.

This game has it all, great soundtrack with some truly hilarious quotes in game, my favourite being "a smell wonderful" when setting someone alight, the guns feel meaty to fire and are all different and enjoyable to use, the RPG element is wonderfully done, the level design is fantastic and the characters are lively and memorable.

I know I'm coming to the party late but felt i had to write this review to let others know how good this game is. Best game I've played in a while making the hours fly by. You can pick up the GOTY edition for a steal these days and then once you're done with that the 3rd one come out in a few days!

I cannot find faut with it at all, definitely one of my top 5 PS3 games and one you cannot afford to miss.

Get it.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game but stuck, please help!!!!!, 15 Sep 2014
Can someone help me. Fantastic game, really enjoying it up to chapter 9....and then it all went wrong. It's a glitch that happens at the start of chapter 9. You meet fergus at the helicopter to get the welder, you see the talk prompt, press square.....and nothing. Complete shut down meaning a hard reset of my ps3. Anyone else had this problem, please let me know. I've searched the internet and can find no sign of a remedy. Cheers.

WRC 4: World Rally Championship (PS3)
WRC 4: World Rally Championship (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 April 2014
Recently took a punt on this as it was at the knock down price of £11 in PSN's Easter sale and boy am i glad I didn't pay anymore. I've played pretty much all notable previous racing games, GT's, Need for Speeds, Burnouts, Grids etc and this one has to rank as one of the worst. For me it's unfinished I don't know whether it's the emergent of the PS4 and they've just rushed out a half finshed game for PS3 owners but where's the love? It's like the bare bones of a game is there but there's no meat to flesh it out - just off the top of my head these are the negatives so far -:
Lazy, unpolished and often pointless details i.e. the same banal comments from the rivals in between stages and the emails from your managers/colleagues that literally say the same thing but with different names as you progress through the seasons.
The music is awful, jarring sounds that do not add to the atmosphere at all and I've found myself turning the sound right down.
No significant changes in weather - this must be an integral feature in any rally game surely but no, it never rains, snows or anything like that and again doesn't create any atmosphere.
When progressing through the game, I've jumped from Junior WRC to WRC2 missing out on WRC3 completely so whats happened there, I want to experience all the game, not miss bits out.
No night stages - again doesn't add to the fun of driving a rally game and is totally unrealistic not to have them included.
and perhaps worst of all, it just isn't much fun to play because all the stages feel the same, there's no notable difference between any of them in a particular rally and to get through the 6 stages becuause a slog towards the end rather than an enjoyable experience.

Trying to think of positives and from what I've seen the online mode is pretty decent, connection to the servers is good and the cars handle ok and the hyundai looks fairly nice.

But overall this is a sad, shadow of a game that frustrates more than it frills and only the hardcore, persistent fans of anything on four wheels will get anything out of it. The worst thing maybe of all is that because its on PSN i can't even sell it on or trade it in!!

Rayman Legends (Playstation Vita)
Rayman Legends (Playstation Vita)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game, 17 Mar 2014
This game has been stuck in my vita ever since i got it when it was released. They really have upped the quality since the last game Origins which wasn't exactly shabby either. The levels are a work of genuis and you can't help but smile along as you blitz through the levels - often at breakneck speed whilst marvelling at the gorgeous graphics and vibrant sound. What keeps me playing daily, and for me is the best feature are the daily/weekly challenges. They are so addictive and have totally nalied the just one more go factor. How some people achieve the times/distances they do is beyond me!!

Another thing I love is that ubisoft have been very generous and have recently added 28 new time trial levels that add longevity and variety - they didn't have to do this, it could have easily been charged as extra DLC (take note other developers)....

The only (marginal) downside for me are the murfy missions - the controls do an admiral job to a point on the vita but i just feel when you get to the harder more frantic parts and precision is needed the touchscreen lets you you down and you lose out.

Overall though easily one of the best games on the vita and for �16-17 massive value for money. if you like anything oldschool platform you can't go far wrong.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition (PS3)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition (PS3)
Offered by games-n-console-land

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY OH WHY DID I....., 7 Jun 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
get the game on release day? The lure of the game and all 3 DLC in one neat package was too good a deal to turn down. I thought surely after all the previous problems with it freezing and slowing down it would be good to go on the first day, but alas, no. It's a broken, buggy, turd of a game at the moment in it's present state. Been playing 2 hours and it's frozen 3 times requiring a hard reset and my poor old PS3 to reboot the files twice. A year and half down the line but it's a sad case of deja vu I'm afraid, nothing seems to have changed since the release last time, maybe its even worse which is disgusting. I can't risk playing it anymore until the inevitable patches come out to try and save it.

A terrible disappontment, I'm annoyed at myself more than anything for taking the jump and getting it on release day.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 3:19 PM GMT

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Offered by Game Dealz

1.0 out of 5 stars SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME, WHAT AM I MISSING?, 2 May 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Been a gaming bod for many years and have tried the early versions of MGS on Ps1 and 2 with varying degrees of mild indifference, but this one, in my very humble opinion is not very good, not very good at all. In basic terms, where's the actual game? You sit through what seems like endless upon endless cutscenes of ambiguous nonsense that doesn't really do anything, certainly doesn't stimulate or excite me in anyway that is punctuated by the odd "doing" bit. To me, it's all so pretentious, it's like the story is rammed down your throat, whatever they may be, I've never been able to work it out, is it based on real priciples in life? Is it political? For me it takes itself all too seriously.

and before I get lambasted for being someone who doesn't appreciate the more "grown up" intellectuall games and should go back to playing COD I love all types of games, Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit for example, both games are strongly narrative led and not much action by way of actual manipulating the joypad, but they had purpose, a theme, a story, a reason for you wanting to see the next cutscene as the suspense, anticipation was there, especially in Heavy Rain's case.

The reason I'm writng this review is because I've recently gone back to this game as i was given it for free by a friend, a decided to give it another chance I can't stand to miss out on landmark, influential, seminal games and really wanted to jump on the mgs bandwagon like the vast majority and wax lyrical about it.....but i can't. my recent playthrough hasn't changed my mind. When you strip back all the cutscenes, and pretentious, self-important waffle there's barely any game at all under the surface.

Boring drivel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 9:23 PM GMT

Far Cry 3 (PS3)
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
Offered by THE MARKETPLACE

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 18 April 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Haven't played any of the other Far Cry's before but decided to go for this one on the back of the high praise it was getting, that and the fact I got the predator pack version for a mere 25 notes...

At first it was a slow burner with me, I found it quite hard, the guns didn't seem powerful enough and i was always running out of ammo too soon, but I perservered and once I started hunting animals and crops etc which in turn mean you can upgrade, ammo, slots for your guns, upping it from 2 to 4 the game opened up to me. It's a lovely, beautiful open world affair of stunning landscapes, lapping shorelines, striking sunsets and blue skies. Gameplay is pretty varied, you have the core story missions and a plethora of side quests to get to teeth into, specific animal hunter quests, beat the clock races and by far the most enjoyable for me, liberating the enemy camps by taking out all the enemies. This can be done in various ways, go in all guns blazing, initiating a a fierce fire fight as back up is often called or do it sneakily, finding a hole in the perimeter fence, take out the alarm and then "takedown" (which i will come onto later) each enemy one by one.

There's many open world games like this about these days, I'm sure you know and own a vast majority of them, as do I but this one is special and deserves your attention and hard earned cash.

One of the elements that makes it so for me is the story, it's brilliantly told and really gets across the emotions - I found I really cared about the main characters and wanted to see what happened to them. The star of the show for me is the takedowns or silent kills, first of all you have the basic creep up behind and stab in the back kill but as you progress you unlock various ingenious ways of talking out the militia silently, I won't spoil it for you by going through them but it's an absolute joy and for me, an integral part of the game.

Negative points? Just one, and it's the driving, I found this extremely clunkey and frustrating, I found the steering too sensitive and why oh why did they not include an outside view? Quite often I was doing a racing challenge, just about to reach the goal and then wallop, would hit a pot hole or obstacle that was impossible to see because the view inside the car was heavily restricted. But this pales into insignificance compared to all the other points.

So, to conclude, Far Cry 3 really is a quality game, I was totally taken in with it and as such played to completion also mopping up most of the side quests putting in about 55 hours. It looks and sounds beautiful, the narrative is strong, the characters are bold, individual and memorable. The gameplay is varied and satisfying, the guns feel meaty and realistic to fire. If you're thinking about getting it, think no longer, just get it, you won't be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 9:22 PM GMT

Prototype 2: Amazon Exclusive Wrecking Ball Radnet Edition (PS3)
Prototype 2: Amazon Exclusive Wrecking Ball Radnet Edition (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD OLD TEAR UP, 10 Aug 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Just completed Prototype 2 and loved it, I haven't played the first one so can't compare but I have played the infamous games and this is very similar and in my opion is slightly better.

To sum up its just good ol dumb fun, causing carnage wherever you go, smashing everyone and anything that gets in your way. As with most games like this the plot isn't going to win any awards but that doesn't matter, the game is is just pure fun.

It's the usual fare, the game is constructed by way of missions - go there, take key person out, destroy this vehicle, pick up this package etc...along with this you have the customary collectible side bits, which a bit of variety and extra play. One of the best parts of the game is the powers that you acquire and upgrade throughout the game, you really get a sense of omnipotence as you destroy more and more of the city as your powers increase.

The radnet part also increases longevity - they're basically extra mini games where scores can be compared online to your mates, these involve taking goons out with certain moves or throwing chemical bins into containers and my most enjoyable one, racing a helicopter through the city's skyscrapers.

Prototype is a good game, I've knocked a star off because like a lot of games of this genre it does get repetitive towards the end and you do find yourself going from a to b back to a again doing similar stuff, also without spoiling it too much, i did find the ending a bit flat and disappointing. But overall it's definitely worth a punt and if you liked Infamous then this will be right up your street.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 9:21 PM GMT

Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars QUITE SIMPLY - A MASTERPIECE, 10 Aug 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 (PS2) (Video Game)
I've recently taken a trip down memory lane and just purchased RE4 on the PSN store and thought I'd write a review. The game, after 7-8 years hasn't lost any of its magic and is still mindblowing. I remember it the first time around, got the game on the Friday after work started playing immediately and carried on right through the weekend, doing 10-12 hour shifts on the Sat/Sun. I literally couldn't put the pad down, and such was my addiction, I called in sick on the Monday to stay at home and finish it off. I can count on 3 fingers games that have had such a firm grip on me - they don't come along too often but this is one of the them.

It's hard to pin down what makes this game so great, I think it's a culmination of things - the seminal over-the-shoulder camera that was such a refreshing change from previous RE titles, the superb graphics (which don't look out of place years on), the sense of atmosphere, the sound, the variation of scenery and characters, the puzzles, the boss battles, the iconic (lake) scene...it goes on and on. Resident Evil 5 pales into insignificance compared to this, it currenly gathers dust on my shelf and is really a poor copy. Infact the only game that comes any where near it are the Dead Space games.

I'm not going to wax lyrical for much longer because this game received enough hype and praise when it first came out and unless you've been living in a cave for the last ten years you will have a pretty good idea of its pedigree. It's always a measure of a fine game when you lose sense of time and last night I was on it from 10.30 to 3.00am and had to drag myself away as I had work, but it felt like I was playing an hour - a game hasn't held my interest like that since maybe Uncharted 2.

If you haven't already played it, then now's the time, I'm so glad PSN/XBOX live have brought back to life so it can be enjoyed again for the new platforms and be experienced by more people. So get yourself on PSN/XBOX Live, download it and be prepared to be blown away by one of the best games of a generation - it will be the best £15 you spend all year.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 9:21 PM GMT

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Offered by S6 entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars HAS THE CASH COW FINALLY BEEN MILKED DRY?, 5 Jan 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Just to echo what many others have said already. Maps feel very claustrophobic, maze like too small, compact and not enough time for strategy, flanking etc. Kill 1, get killed, kill 1, get killed and repeat....very lazy game design, like using the same emblems, banners from mw2....sound is pathetic, tinny pop pop noises - BF3 really shows it up in comparision...

Seems like its been watered down, made less raw no edge solely to cater for the run and gun kids...

Shame, as COD4 was one of my favs....

Last one I'll be buying - back to BF3.