Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire
Profile for Fi Redmond > Reviews

Content by Fi Redmond

Fi Redmond "Fi Redmond" (Chippenham, Wiltshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Minx Short Sleeve Round Neck Plain Half Sleeve Girls Top T Shirt Kids T-Shirts Black 9-10 Years

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, 20 Jun. 2015
Despite an initial feeling of disappointment at the quality and feel of the fabric, this tshirt looks good when worn and washes well.

Plain Black Cotton Rich T-Shirt 9-10 Years
Plain Black Cotton Rich T-Shirt 9-10 Years

4.0 out of 5 stars What you'd expect, 20 Jun. 2015
It's a plain black tshirt which seems to wash well.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a washout. .., 20 Jun. 2015
The blouse is beautiful and looks well. The colours when it arrived were vibrant - but then I washed it and it came out several shades paler. Disappointing, but I still like the blouse so I will wear it.

Three-dimensional Embroidery Stitches (Needlecrafts)
Three-dimensional Embroidery Stitches (Needlecrafts)
by Pat Trott

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stimulating and inspiring, 6 Oct. 2013
According to the biographical blurb, Pat is a life member of the Embroiderers’ Guild, she teaches, and she has had her work featured in Needlework Magazine and New Stitches Magazine.

I was immediately taken with the brightly coloured cover which shows examples of various raised stitches used to make flowers, and I wasn’t disappointed with the rest of the book either. Pat shows 17 stitches in a clear step by step format using photographs with descriptive text underneath each picture. I set myself the task of trying every one. Some, such as stem stitch and French knots, I was familiar with and they were easy. I had no difficulty with the Palestrina knot stitch, the tufting or the raised bands. I did have a bit of difficulty with the whipped spider’s web – that took three tries! – and the cast on buttonhole (I cannot knit or crochet to save my life), but I absolutely loved the woven picot. So easy, yet so effective. In the book, Pat demonstrates this in short versions on the owl’s wings and sunflower petals, and in a longer version on the daffodil and snowdrop leaves. There are also a couple of ways of doing roses with woven rose and Banksia rose, and the raised cup stitch, and with the raised leaf you employ a little piece of card to get the same size loops before you drag them over and finish with the stem.

Pat also touches on colouring fabric and framing, and gives four projects with templates, a couple of which include making three dimensional rocks with stuffed stocking nylon.

Would I recommend this book? Absolutely. I found it clear, informative, visually satisfying and inspiring. It’s a winner. See my full review on [...]

Small 9ct Yellow Gold Plated Carrie Style (Sex & The City) Personalised Name Necklace With 16" (41cm) Trace Chain In Presentation Gift Box - ANY NAME MADE (See Description)
Offered by Christopher James Of London

3.0 out of 5 stars A pretty little gift, 16 April 2013
The necklace came very quickly in a sweet gift box and the recipient is absolutely delighted! It appeared to be well made and of good quality.

The Great British Sewing Bee
The Great British Sewing Bee
by Tessa Evelegh

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but less than perfection, 16 April 2013
Like so many others I have been glued to The Great British Sewing Bee on television, and I've also recorded it so as to take in every detail; so I was absolutely delighted when my husband bought it for me as a surprise.
I won't cover the ground already adequately commented on by other reviewers - the excellent photos, clear illustrations, nice range of projects, informative sections and of course May Martin's tips. I like the projects, though I am also disappointed at the lack of patterns, say in contrast to BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern. At bottom, I like the book enormously and will dip into it very frequently, but I do have some niggles. I would have liked more input about the work of the contestants and their experience, and I agree there should have been a section about altering. On a professional note, it is a shame that the ethic of perfection expounded in the series didn't stretch to the production values of the book. Was the proofreader on a stitching retreat? There are some irritating typos and howling punctuation mistakes (yes, I am the apostrophe police). That said I'm enjoying the book, I'm glad I have it and I think I'll find it very useful. I'll just try to ignore - I quote - 'DONWLOAD'!

Firefighters (Usborne Beginners)
Firefighters (Usborne Beginners)
by Katie Daynes

5.0 out of 5 stars A manual for wouldbe Firefighters, 3 April 2011
Firefighters is one of the Usborne Beginners series of factual books aimed at children from four to seven years old.
Although the text is in small paragraphs of simple text, there is bags of information on training, equipment and situations vividly illustrated with colour drawings and up to date photographs.
This is one of Henry's favourite books - he's four and already has plans to be a firefighter-cum-rescue pilot-cum-musketeer. Okay, the boy has ambition, but books like Usborne's Firefighters gives him real and down-to-earth information that he works into his play and conversation. An absolute winner.

Secrets at Silver Spires (School Friends)
Secrets at Silver Spires (School Friends)
by Ann Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars Jess's Secret, 20 Dec. 2009
Secrets at Silver Spires is the fifth in the series of School Friends books by Ann Bryant, published by Usborne.
Whilst all the books are enjoyable, written with affection and depth about the issues which confront talented 11 and 12 year olds, Secrets at Silver Spires is my favourite. Jess is the dreamy artist, her head filled with images and colours; but what her friends don't know about is the difficulty Jess has with reading and writing - and how stupid she feels in her academic classes. When she's given extra Learning Support, although she acknowledges that it is helping her with her dyslexia, she feels that it underlines her stupidity which then undermines her love of her art. This is at a critical time for Jess with an important art competition coming up.
The passages where Jess is explaining her troubles to best friend Grace brought a lump to my throat, and the final chapter needed a manful effort to blink away tears - but of course it all ends happily.
I shall be recommending the Silver Spires books to all the 9 year olds plus of my acquaintance.

Amy Wild, Animal Talker: The Musical Mouse
Amy Wild, Animal Talker: The Musical Mouse
by Diana Kimpton

4.0 out of 5 stars Amy Wild's Adventures continue..., 8 Dec. 2009
Amy Wild, Animal Talker: The Musical Mouse is the second in Diana Kimpton's series about the little girl and her membership of the 'Club'; the secret society of animals on a small island off the British coast. In this adventure Amy has a twofold problem: save Einstein the school cat from eviction - and save the life of Mozart the Mouse.
Kimpton uses the real characteristics of cats while she anthropomorphises their personalities, making them real, flesh and blood entities. The Mozart's big 'death' scene had me laughing out loud - talk about histrionic tendencies. That rodent is a real ham!
What 6-7 year old wouldn't love to be able to talk to animals? A classic plot line has new twists and there are two more Amy Wild adventures to follow in 2010: like this one, not to be missed!
Amy Wild, Animal Talker: The Secret Necklace

Lunchbox Baltic Blue Plastic with White Handle
Lunchbox Baltic Blue Plastic with White Handle
Offered by Amey Plastics Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Lunchbox, 8 Dec. 2009
This product does exactly what it says - it's a lunchbox; but it's sturdy and when decorated by your child with stickers, it'll be a personal and easily identifiable piece of school kit. It holds a carton of juice, a sandwich box, a piece of fruit and a small yoghurt: job done!

Page: 1 | 2