Profile for M. R. Barnes > Reviews

Content by M. R. Barnes

M. R. Barnes "Malcolm Barnestorm" (England)

Sandy
Sandy

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sandy" by Sandy Denny, 29 May 2007
This review is from: Sandy (Audio CD)
I was late in developing my music tastes and at 16 first heard Led Zep's Battle of Evermore and asked who is this female singer? Then I bought "Sandy" and the songs captured everything I wanted to hear in an album. Each track is perfect. Linda Thompson on backing vocals on the Dylan track and then multi tracking her own voice on "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" and Dave Swarbrick's solo violin, not to mention Richard Thompson's guitar work. What could be better and the production is a great credit to Trevor Lucas. "The Lady" I have several versions and am amazed that it is not more covered by other artists like "Who knows where the time goes?"

It is far the best album that Sandy ever made being my favourite yet the others are of outstanding quality that should not be missed.

Listen to "Listen Listen" and then the French version "Ecoute Ecoute" and the performance does not change, try the former with a bottle of English wine Three Choirs and the latter with Cote du Duras.

This album took me onto Fairport including "Holidays" and "Rising for the moon" and more Sandy Denny and more Fairport without her. So I am forever grateful for buying this album back in 1978 and now again remastered with bonus tracks.

Recently I heard Simon Nicol performing an excellent version of "Who knows where the time goes?" and I hope that he will look at Sandy's other songs and champion these as well. You cannot replace her but you can leave it to her band mates to do her songs the justice they deserve in her untimely absence.

I am very surprised that the BBC have not yet dedicated a program about her life and music which is long long overdue.

So buy this CD and her others with and without Fairport and not to mention the brilliant and outstanding Fotheringay.