Profile for lilysmum > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Uno Ball Pens Medium Black [Pack of 50]
Uno Ball Pens Medium Black [Pack of 50]

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful! Recommended., 19 May 2015
These are great cheap pens for teachers to lend to students. Often students forget to return borrowed pens and so these cheap and cheerful ones are just right for the job. They work well and are handy to have in a box of 50 as they last all term. The only quibble is, they are transparent plastic and not like the one in the photograph.

Rexel Advance A4 Stay Put Pocket and Prong Folder - Red (Pack of 5)
Rexel Advance A4 Stay Put Pocket and Prong Folder - Red (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really useful set of A4 folders. At first, I have to admit, I thought these wouldn't be all that useful, as they are more like document wallets than folders. Actually, they are really handy. You don't need to bother with a hole punch, as the sheets just slot into place inside really neatly using the stay-put tabs. There are vertical pockets and dividers so you can keep the different sheets separate. They are hole punched just in case you prefer to use the holes, but I have found they are not needed. There is a really handy pocket which is transparent, that you can put small items in. I put my notes and lists of jobs to do in the pocket.
My only criticism is that when I tried to peel the label off the front, it left the adhesive behind and made a bit of a mess. So, I haven't removed the labels. Made in China.

Dew Sterling Silver and Rose Gold Plate I Like You Berry Much 3D Strawberry Necklace 45.7cm 9462RG

5.0 out of 5 stars Really beautiful piece of jewellery - I love it, 4 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have worn this necklace every day since it arrived, and fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. It isn't a big piece but I think it's all the prettier for that. The strawberry is around 6mm across, I guess, so petite, but the rose gold colouring is exquisite and the design is really well finished. The leaves are silver and the fruit itself rose gold, so it sparkles and looks really pretty. The chain itself is hallmarked 925 as is the fruit, and the chain is robust, not a thin one where you're scared it's going to snap at any moment.
The box the necklace comes in is duck egg blue and really pretty in itself.
I am wearing the necklace to work as it goes with everything and is really lovely. My daughter loves it too; we've agreed to share it! I am thinking of buying one as a birthday present for a friend because I love it so much.

Earth Rated Lavender-Scented Dog Waste Bags,900-Count,60 Refill Rolls
Earth Rated Lavender-Scented Dog Waste Bags,900-Count,60 Refill Rolls

3.0 out of 5 stars Scented with lavender, a great idea for dog walkers., 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These bags smell very good and walks with the dog are pleasant with this scent lingering on the air. The capsule which attaches the bags to the lead is a very good idea, although it is a bit clunky and heavy. The main issue I have with the bags is the fact that they don't have tie handles. A lot of dog owners use nappy sacks and the reason behind this is simple - the tie handles make dealing with picking up much more hygienic! This was the problem, I thought, with these bags. You are slightly less sure of not getting any excrement near your hands. Plus, the plastic is heavy duty and a bit rigid, not like a thin plastic nappy sack. However, the biodegradability means that they are worth using, and these are going to be stored in the car, so ensuring that they are always on hand when needed!

Philips Satinelle Epilator HP6422/02 with Opti-start Cap with Massage Element
Philips Satinelle Epilator HP6422/02 with Opti-start Cap with Massage Element

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, very effective - and not too painful either!, 20 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my daughter, and she seemed strangely reluctant to use it! So, rather than waste it, I thought I would give it a try, and I love it, I am surprised to say. It's a small epilator, with a white storage drawstring bag and it is pretty and practical. You could pop it in your suitcase and not know it was there.
It has a really long flex and a three pin plug so you can plug it in anywhere and have loads of space to use it in. I prefer that to a battery operated or rechargeable shaver. You don't have any of the problems of getting half way through and running out of power.
I do like Philips equipment and find it well made and robust and this is no different. It isn't fancy, it's just a basic epilator with two speeds, but it's perfect for the job. It feels pretty gentle to me, when I am using it I just feel this slight tingling sensation and then my legs are smooth.
I have tried waxing and didn't like it but I will definitely be using this epilator from now on. It's fantastic! Thanks Philips!

Panasonic ALL1 Network Audio Connector
Panasonic ALL1 Network Audio Connector

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay... Could be better, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well firstly, what is it? If you are looking at streaming, you have probably seen those speakers from Bose, Sonos, Sony etc in your local electrical store. They take the music from your mobile device (phone, tablet etc) and play it via Bluetooth. Well what if you already have a good music system that you don't want to change, or need to play CDs or vinyl? That's where this device comes in. It connects to your existing system just like a CD player, and allows you to play your portable music, or podcasts or internet radio, in fact anything you have on your device.
Setup is simple, plug it in, download the app (Android or Apple), switch on you Bluetooth, follow a few simple steps on the app and you will soon be playing music. If you want to go a step further, you can connect it via Ethernet cable to a computer or NAS, and play any music you have stored there.
It also allows you to play hi-def music up to 24bit 192khz if that interests you, though this would probably need to be done via Ethernet as these files tend to be too big to stream wirelessly. Also, they are not supported by many portable devices.
So that is what it does, so does it do it well? Well in my opinion, not really, especially for the price.
It does what the Logitech squeezebox has been doing since 2004 with no remote control, loss of the display, and for more money. It does what Sonos have been doing since 2006.
The app is poor and has little functionality. I tried to connect to the music library on my computer and failed. I tried a couple more times and still failed. The app has created shortcuts to my computer, but there appears to be no way of deleting them. I have been unsuccessful to date in connecting to my library. The four Squeezeboxes I run have no problem. If you have a large library of music that is too big to fit on a portable device, then you need this functionality.

It is ugly and a little large. This is surprising as I have always liked Panasonic equipment, and usually found it well made and stylish.

It only has optical digital out if that is important to you.

It sounds OK, though I haven't tested it with hi-res files as I can't get it to connect to my library on my computer.

It enables you to play FLAC files, which Apple devices don't.

You can connect it to other Panasonic speaker systems to create a multi room system - like Sonos did 8 years ago.........

So all in all, this product is a bit of a mystery. If you just want to WiFi your portable music to your existing HiFi, this will do the job, but then so will other devices that cost a tenth of the price.
If you want to play Hi-Res files in FLAC from your PC library, then there are not many devices that will do that, but the app needs to improve to make this easier. So this is aimed at the more discerning audiophile, but are those people going to choose a Panasonic product or go for a more dedicated HiFi streamer?

Verdict - it mostly does what it says on the tin, the app needs improving, and the price is high

3 and a half stars

Oxford Illustrated Shakespeare Dictionary
Oxford Illustrated Shakespeare Dictionary
by David Crystal

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from David Crystal & a must-have addition to school libraries., 12 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fabulous dictionary for any student of Shakespeare and I am already wondering how I taught Shakespeare without it. It has illustrations and is a nice weighty large paperback with robust covers which would make an essential addition to any school library. Each Shakespearean word is carefully explained and the phonetic pronunciation guide is teenager friendly. I looked up a couple of words to see how well they were explained (e.g. "country matters" from Hamlet and "prick love for pricking" from Romeo and Juliet and the explanations were spot on and hit just the right note.
The best thing about the dictionary, though, is that it contains a number of double page spreads covering aspects of Shakespearean life such as: recreations, weapons, occupations, swearing, costume, and so on. I am going to base some class work on these as a research project for my Year 7 class. The language is easy to understand but not patronising in any way. A serious book with some witty and humorous entries (look up "crystal"!)
I love this book and I think I am going to be using it a lot. I have been flicking through it and have found out a few things I didn't already know - and I have been teaching Shakespeare for over 20 years, so I think there really is something in this book for everyone.

Bakers Dentacrunch Beef and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)
Bakers Dentacrunch Beef and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and crunchy., 1 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My dog, a large golden Labrador, enjoys her food but sometimes needs to try something twice before she decides if she likes it. When she tried this food I wasn't too sure at first that she was keen on it, but today she seemed much keener and I think she's decided that she does like it. So, it wasn't love at first sight, but she is enjoying it. I should add that she has been a little bit loose every time I have fed her this food, and for that reason, I probably wouldn't buy it again!

The Ship
The Ship
by Antonia Honeywell

3.0 out of 5 stars Rite of passage novel, set on a ship in a future dystopian world, 1 April 2015
This review is from: The Ship (Hardcover)
Lalla, aged sixteen, is a girl who lives a sheltered life with her parents, Michael and Anna. Her father is a bit of a mysterious character, he is clearly fighting battles with other leaders in the dystopian world in which she lives. Her mother is more idealistic and a strong character - Lalla has clearly inherited both her father's determination and her mother's idealism.
The world of the novel is a frightening one. People have died all over the world, though quite why is never made clear. The bees have died, money has ceased to have meaning and food is scarce. There are no fruit left - Lalla has never seen a real orange or apple.
Lalla's dad takes them onto a ship - a kind of futuristic Ark, with 500 or so other people who he has personally interviewed and selected. The book tells the story of their voyage and attempt to find a new way of living. Along the way, Lalla falls in love with Tom and mourns the loss of someone she loves very much.
There are echoes of Lord of the Flies in the character Roger, and that's not the only novel I thought I could see echoes of in this book. It's about life, death, growing up, the environment, learning to find your own way in life, feeling totally alone in the world (as only teenagers can), love, motherhood, fanaticism, eugenics, journeys, knowing what you want out of life, finding out what people are really like, what makes us human... a book with some very deep themes and ideas.

I liked this book a lot, and the ending built up the suspense quite well. There were a couple of passages where I thought it lost its way a little (the orange passage for example, towards the end), but in general a very good first novel and I would read more by the author because I am sure she has more to say.

GCSE French Interactive Vocab Tester - DVD-ROM and Vocab Book
GCSE French Interactive Vocab Tester - DVD-ROM and Vocab Book
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great resource - thanks CGP! :), 15 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As good as ever, these resources from CGP are useful and helpful for GCSE French. My daughter is not as GCSE level yet but she is capable of doing some of the exercises and I think it is a great way to revise vocab outside of the lesson. The thing with French is to practise the vocabulary and this gives a useful interactive set of exercises.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20