Profile for lilysmum > Reviews

The Bunker Diary
The Bunker Diary
by Kevin Brooks
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground-breaking, gripping, harrowing, and very bleak. Probably not for younger readers., 30 July 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
This is a very powerful and disturbing book but it has proved extremely popular with my Year 8 class. A lot of them have requested a copy. It is a deserving winner of the Carnegie in my view, even though I can see why it took so long to get published, because it is unremittingly bleak and grim.

Linus is a 15 year old lad who is abducted and imprisoned in an underground bunker. He appears to be help prisoner and gradually comes to learn how best to survive, at the whim of his captor. Over the following days, five more "inmates" are incarcerated alongside Linus, including a young girl and an elderly man. The captor, who is never seen or heard, tortures his prisoners and seemingly enjoys their sufferings. He deprives them of food, and also encourages them to attack each other. It is this aspect of the book that is most disturbing. There is no sense of altruism except perhaps from Linus himself.

I do think this book needs handling with care and not recommending to all youngsters - however, teens do know what sort of books they are ready to read and whilst for some it wouldn't appeal, for others who are questioning the purpose of life, they are ready to explore these issues with the help of a bleak book like this one.

Brooks is famous for the philosophical ideas he carefully adds into his narratives and I think that's what gives this book its heft.

A remarkable, ground-breaking book, and one that will haunt you, no matter how young or old you are!

We Were Liars
We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is the Truth about the Beautiful Sinclair Family - or is it???, 29 July 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Paperback)
A bargain at 99p on Kindle and a great summer beach read, set as it is on an island off Massachusetts during the summer. It tells the story of Cadence Sinclair, a teenager who is born into an enormously privileged family. She has several cousins and all the family with their three mums (sisters) and gran and granddad spend the summers on their own private island with every advantage money can buy, as well as five golden labs called Bosh, Grendel, Poppy, Prince Philip and Fatima.

Cadence reveals early on that she has been in an accident, since when she gets terrible head aches, which she describes in a blood curdling way. "...my veins opened. My wrists split. I bled down my palms. I went light-headed." Cadence is honest about the fact that she lies, then she says she has fallen in love with Gat, who is disliked by the family for being an outsider. In fact Gat compares himself to Heathcliff.

I loved the story, and I loved the frequent dropping in of book titles such as King Lear, Jaclyn Moriarty and Diana Wynne Jones. I liked, too, the spare prose style. There are no wordy descriptions and yet there are some startlingly powerful metaphors.

It's a YA novel, but I think adults would enjoy it a lot too and the film rights have just been snapped up.

Emily Lockhart has created a fantastic page turner of a story that had me ignoring the family while I got to the end. I sort of half guessed what might be going on but the way the reveal is done is enormously clever and very, very absorbing. I immediately went back to the beginning and re-read the whole thing and wondered how I had missed what was really happening, because when you know the ending, it's a different book altogether. I would read it before the film comes out. You won't be disappointed.

Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, Warm White 3000K, Dimmable
Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, Warm White 3000K, Dimmable
Price: 12.16

5.0 out of 5 stars This bulb creates a really nice warm light, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bulb creates a really nice warm light, not like the usual LED bulbs. It gives plenty of light output for its size and it will save me lots of money because it's only 5W. I have put it in the study light alongside two regular LED bulbs and they look really white and glaring in comparison. I don't know about you, but I hate these really white lights, so I am thrilled to bits with this one. It is a shame the price is still so high and they are still so dear, but cheap ones don't work. I have tried them and they are just not bright enough!

A Tap on the Window
A Tap on the Window
by Linwood Barclay
Price: 7.35

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for people who go in for twisty turny plots, 28 July 2014
This review is from: A Tap on the Window (Paperback)
I don't read many police thrillers and this one wouldn't convince me to read more, although it's a good page-turning beach read.

The story starts when Cal Weaver, a private detective, gives a lift to a friend of his son's. We work out fairly soon that the son had died in a fall from a roof while high on ecstasy, and Cal and his long suffering wife have not started to grieve properly. She draws endless sketches of Scott, and Cal throws himself into his work, with a sideline of trying to investigate his own private tragedy by trying to discover who has been dealing the drugs that helped kill his son.

Anyway, he gives a lift to this girl, as it's raining, and he is kind of drawn to the fact that he might be able to ask her what she knows about his son's death. In fact what happens is weird, he stops for her to go to the loo and when she comes back to the car and climbs in, he notices that her clothes have dried and a cut on her hand has healed. She has switched places with another girl. This girl gets out of the car and the next day she is found dead. What follows is the story of how Cal tries to clear his name as naturally enough he is suspected of having had something to do with her death.

At this point the plot twists and turns like a twisty turny thing. Cal finds out all sorts of things along the way about who he can and cannot trust, about grief, and about how his son died. I felt the book ended in an unexpected way and that the writer was trying to say that loose ends aren't tied up in the ways we might hope. Life is not like a story and there aren't any happy endings.

Barclay is a clever writer in that every time you think the pace is slowing he throws in another twist. The final third of the book goes at breakneck speed towards the denouement.

If you like a book where you can see it in your mind's eye as though you are watching a film, a book where you think it almost reads like a screen play, then you will love this book.

The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books Saved My Life
The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books Saved My Life
by Andy Miller
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest book about books ever written; amusing, audacious and useful., 21 July 2014
I am grieving, because I have finished reading this book. The irony (or contradictoriality) of this fact is that I wouldn't even have bought it, had I not picked it up in the rather fine independent bookseller, Broadhursts of Southport, on an impulse. I had read about Andy Miller's work of staggering genius on the internet, and clearly not recognised it as such, because I had made the decision not to buy it, based solely on the fact that the books the author asserted he needed to read were not those which I have read myself (unless I lie about what I've read, which, unlike the author of this book, I don't).
I opened the book in the bookshop and read the first couple of pages, and saw this quote from Homer Simpson: "What's the point of going out? We're just going to wind up back here anyway," and I knew I was hooked.
I haven't read a lot of the books Miller talks about, such as: The Master and Margarita, Post Office, The Sea, The Sea, Moby Dick, A Confederacy of Dunces, or The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, but if you haven't either, don't let that stop you buying this book.
Miller talks so very engagingly about all the books, and his life, and his family, that I was captivated, to the extent that I begrudged every moment I spent away from the book. I bought it on Saturday afternoon, and I finished it this afternoon (Monday).
As well as talking about the books which Miller thinks he *should* have read, as he reads them, he also muses on philosophical questions such as the value of literature, and the whole life vs. art thing, and reading groups, and working in bookshops, and being an editor, and music, and painting, and more. It's kind of like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Whilst at first glance it appears to be a chirpy and humorous tale of a forty something chap catching up with some reading, in actual fact, it's about much more than that - art, philosophy, science, life, history. It's deeply thought out but deftly written with a lightness of touch.
I don't think I will read a better book this year, and I already feel like I am going to have to read it again.
This year, I have tried an experiment of my own, on a much smaller and less ambitious scale than Miller. I have been trying to follow Mr Gove's advice to school pupils to "read a book a week". It's the end of July and I am on book number 26 of 2014. Miller attempts something far more interesting - to read 50 great books (and a Dan Brown) in a year.
I think it's clear I am a huge fan, Mr Miller, and I'm writing this in frank admiration.
The only error I spotted was the misspelling of the Groke in the passage about the Moomin books (a childhood favourite of mine), which for some reason was spelled "Groak" in the book. Or, was this a deliberate error?
I am going to have to read some of the books on the list, starting with, I think, Michel Houellebecq's Atomised.
If I could give this six stars, I would. Reader, I could marry him.

Hate
Hate
by Alan Gibbons
Price: 9.19

5.0 out of 5 stars "I hope it does Sophie justice.", 16 July 2014
This review is from: Hate (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very moving and powerful book. It's based loosely on the murder of Sophie Lancaster and is set in and around the North West of England. Preston, Manchester, Ingleton Falls, and more places get a mention, though the setting of the murder, Brierley, and Cartmel Park are clearly fictional.
The story is about a girl called Eve, whose sister, Rosie, was killed by some youths in a park for looking different, at the age of 20. There are some well written passages meditating on Rosie's death and what it means to the different members of her family.
At the start of the book Eve is horrified by the arrival of Anthony Broad at her school. It becomes evident that Anthony was there on the night Rosie was killed, that he was a bystander, that he did nothing to intervene or to try and prevent her death. Eve decides to keep away from Anthony, but her mum doesn't. Still grieving her daughter's loss, Eve's mum goes round to Anthony's house to confront his mother and try to persuade her to make Anthony give evidence in court, evidence his mother insists he is unable to give because he didn't see a single blow struck.
Eve's best friend Jess fancies Anthony, and this makes life complicated for Jess and Eve. Jess' big brother Oli has a struggle of his own going on, which comes to light when the school debate takes as its topic "Has political correctness gone too far?"
As the book goes on, the tension rises and you begin to sense there might be an act of violence to rival the one in which Rosie got killed. Bigotry and prejudice are explored in all their ugliness.
I would recommend this book, and I think it is a useful book as a classroom read for classes who are studying hate crime or prejudice. It ticks a lot of SMSC boxes (spiritual, moral, social, cultural). More importantly, Alan Gibbons says in his forward, "I hope it does Sophie justice." I think it does.

Valentino's Chocolate Pizza 10" Milk Chocolate Pizza
Valentino's Chocolate Pizza 10" Milk Chocolate Pizza

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone I have bought these pizzas for has loved them. L-O-V-E-D them, 13 July 2014
Ah, what can I say? Everyone I have bought these pizzas for has loved them. L-O-V-E-D them. They make great gifts or sometimes we just buy one if we are off on holiday and we want to treat ourselves. Fabulous. 5 star chocolate treat. If you have never had one, you have to get one. You won't regret it.
Love, the Chocoholic x

Black Heart Blue
Black Heart Blue
by Louisa Reid
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, redemptive, grown-up story of a dysfunctional childhood, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Black Heart Blue (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gosh, well, where to start giving you an idea of what this story is about. It's got some quite adult themes and I would guess it's suitable for those teen readers who are looking for more adult books to read. It's very powerful and dramatic and I liked it an awful lot.

Rebecca and Hepzibah are twins. You can tell by their Biblical names that their parents are religious, and indeed they are. Dad, Roderick, is a pastor and his wife is a cipher, a trodden-down woman who appears to hate her own daughters. Hepzibah seems to get all the luck, she gets the boyfriend and the parties and nights out, and Rebecca is the unlucky twin, but it's worse than that. Rebecca has Treacher Collins syndrome, which means her facial bones are malformed and she is also hard of hearing. Her hearing was made worse when her dad hit her. Dad seems to be using Rebecca as the scapegoat of the family and he takes out his frustrations on her, and makes both girls live a life of abstention and self denial - they are not allowed to bath, for example, or go shopping, or have new clothes. They have to get what they can from charity bags and Hepzibah shoplifts make-up from the local chemist. Meanwhile Rebecca reads voraciously, though she's never allowed to visit the library, and she implies that she has compared herself at one point to Mary Shelley's Creature in Frankenstein.
You guess very early on that the family is severely dysfunctional, and that all the problems in the family can be traced back to Dad, but it takes the whole story to realise why and how. In the first few pages we are told that Hepzibah is dead and I soon formed a suspicion about how it came to happen. However, I was wrong, and just kept turning the pages as the clues gradually led to the truth.
This isn't a story with violence and abuse for gratuitous reasons, though. It's a story with a heart. Both twins care for each other and protect each other, so you care about them both, even though at first Hepzibah seems to have all the luck on her side. At the end you realise that Rebecca has shown real courage and learned to love herself. If it sounds like a grim read, well, yes, it is, but lots of what happens is about triumphing over disaster and learning to live life and be positive. There are lots of themes that would give teen readers food for thought - disability and equality, love, parents, religion, rules, the value of education. That makes it sound like a worthy book, but it isn't, it's down to earth and gritty, moving and heartening, and finally, life-affirming. Oh, and it has a touch of magical realism too, which I loved.
An excellent read overall, highly recommended!

Colgate A1500 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Colgate A1500 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: 117.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy., 25 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This replaces my old Philips Sonicare which I had used for about three years. I find the Colgate easier to use. The Philips head is a lot larger than the Colgate, so the Colgate is much easier to manoeuvre inside the mouth. The brush is much lighter. It has an anti slip handle which is easy to grip. With the Philips I found it slipped in my hand if I didn't keep tight hold of it.
The Colgate does clean my teeth more effectively. I'm learning how to keep my head upright. If you lean over the basin, it can miscalculate the angle and therefore the speed of brushing. (It has 3 auto speeds). I wasn't sure if the different speeds were a gimmick but having got used to the brush I can see how it's meant to work. You tilt the brush at 45' to clean your gums and then horizontally on the tooth surfaces it cleans faster.
I like the carry case and the charger unit. I can see me travelling with the Colgate whereas the Phililps was always too heavy and bulky to travel with.
I would recommend this brush. The other big positive in it's favour is that replacement heads are about 40% cheaper than Philips.

The Murder Bag
The Murder Bag
by Tony Parsons
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best crime novel I have ever read, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Murder Bag (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really loved this book from start to finish. I don't normally read much crime fiction, although I like Ruth Rendell, and I heard Tony Parsons interviewed on Simon Mayo and also on the Guardian pod cast and I just thought his book sounded a bit different to the normal run of the mill crime novel.
Max Wolfe is the narrator, and he is Tony Parsons' creation; a fictional detective. He lives with his small daughter, Scout, and his dog, Stan. Max does the school run. He also works as a detective investigating a series of murders of rich, ex-public school boys.
Something connects the murders and it seems to be the manner of their deaths - which is that they are gruesomely killed with a fighting knife in a very particular way. They are also connected by the fact that they all appear in a photograph taken while they were at school. The book follows Max's efforts to find the killer.
What set this book apart for me was the way that Tony Parsons seamlessly weaves in all sorts of details about police work and methods of killing as well as all sorts of other interesting facts about, for example, boxing (Max is a member of a boxing club where he goes to get rid of the adrenaline he builds up at work).
I really felt for Max as he gets himself into one or two sticky situations during the hunt for the killer. It's tremendously well written and I will definitely look out for his second novel. I am a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Sometimes crime novels have too much blood and gore for me (Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, for example), and this book has some gruesome murders in, but they are so well written that you find yourself caught up in the story and you just can't stop turning the pages.
Highly recommended. I don't think you will be disappointed by this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17