Profile for lilysmum > Reviews

The Astounding Broccoli Boy
by Frank Cottrell Boyce

5.0 out of 5 stars Super funny read for ages 9 - 99, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the most lovely, quirky little book. I say little, although it weighs in at 389 pages, because it wears its size lightly, and I can't imagine you would get bored half way through!
The story is about Rory Rooney, who is a little lad who likes to always be ready for life. Don't Be Scared, Be Prepared (e.g. what to do in the event of a total breakdown of law and order in society), is his favourite book, and also his mum's favourite. That bit of the story reminds me in some ways of The Eighteenth Emergency, Marv Hammerman and all that. Anyway, Rory is in quite a bit of bother because he is being blamed for trying to poison the school bully, Tommy-Lee Komissky, (who Rory calls Grim). Rory didn't actually try to poison Grim, the truth was that Grim took Rory's Wagon Wheel out of his lunch box and had an allergic reaction to it. Everyone blamed Rory.
Rory is trying to survive in school on an outdoor adventure trip when he falls in the river and comes out green. Now, at this point everyone shies away from him. This is because (I didn't mention this before) they think he might have a disease which is on the rampage, a type of feline flu that affects "cats or cat-like creatures" and is nicknamed "Killer Kittens" disease. So, Rory is whisked away to an isolation unit to be poked and prodded by Dr Brightside and a load of nurses armed with needles!
Who does Rory meet on the ward but Grim! He's terrified! But actually, Grim turns out to have a few fears of his own.
I fear I haven't done the book justice with this summary. It is a whistle-stop, cartoon like tale that moves at a mile a minute, with so many twists and turns that you feel breathless reading it. There is a laugh on every page. It is about, well, I guess it's about what makes a hero? What makes us brave? Can we really teleport? (Rory believes he can) Do people really turn green sometimes?
I loved this book. My daughter did too. She liked the teleportation bits best. I liked the humour and the quirkiness of this tale, where every bizarre event turns out to have a simple explanation. Wacky, funny, weird, amazing, engaging, you will love Rory and all his fantastic adventures. Highly recommended for ages 9 - 99.

Aussie Shower Gel Body Wash Mega Watt 250 ml - Pack of 6
Aussie Shower Gel Body Wash Mega Watt 250 ml - Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice smelling body wash, 14 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice fresh smelling body wash which lathers up well in the shower. To be honest it is probably better for younger skin than more mature skin like mine. I find it a little bit drying. But as a basic mid range body wash, it does the job well and the bottle is small enough to be able to pack into an overnight bag and take away for the weekend. I gave a bottle to my teenage daughter and she likes it very much. She has a friend who uses Aussie stuff a lot - they like the brand.
All in all a good everyday body wash but I do prefer more scented washes myself that are more moisturising.

Montegrappa Cartridges Black
Montegrappa Cartridges Black
Offered by The Pen Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Montegrappa, 9 Feb. 2015
Superb cartridges for a superb pen, I love my Montegrappa. These cartridges give a clear, glossy, smooth, writing line and no skips. My pen writes like butter and I love it. The cartridges even have the name Montegrappa written on the side in silver. Things of beauty. Just glorious.

Revlon Highlighting Palette - 7.5 g, Bronze
Revlon Highlighting Palette - 7.5 g, Bronze

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE it, it is in my favourite, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This came as a bronzer as everyone else's reviews have said. I think this bronzer is gorgeous, its flawless, glowy and has such a natural, summery, bronzy look. It has a slight shimmer it in it I think, I LOVE it, it is in my favourite, everyday makeup routine. I can't say how beautiful it is. You can use it as a strong contour on the temples, around the frame and jaw, cheekbones and nose. Or as a natural tanner. It's soooo easy to blend, I use the so eco finishing brush which is like a stipple brush to give a flawless, airbrushed, natural finish to the cheeks.

Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick - 4.2 g, Nude Attitude
Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick - 4.2 g, Nude Attitude

4.0 out of 5 stars horrible orange concealer colour but gorgeous creamy formula., 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this lipstick formula, it's creamy long lasting and moisturising. I really don't like the colour though, it looks like a really orange toned concealer. It looks like you have put concealer over your lips and not rubbed it in. The formula though is a different question, I think it is lovely and will definitely be going out and buying more colours, the colour is a real let down.

Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff
Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff
Offered by Miss Sunshine Boutique

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this foundation, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this foundation! It's one of the only foundations that PERFECTLY matches my skin... And I just bought it randomly online having no clue what colour it was. If you know a tiny bit about makeup you will probably know that makeup is not good for your skin, it gives you spots, it breakdown your skin and some can be allergenic. I found this foundation to bring down my spots I had before using it. I use it with a fluffy blending brush buffing it onto my skin to give a flawless look. It is soft, moisturising and long lasting, a perfect foundation by far! The only down side is not of the foundation just the pourer has no pump which makes it a tiny bit difficult to get the right amount of foundation but other than that, my favourite forndation.

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rolls Royce of Dish Washer Tablets!, 28 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I suppose these tablets prove the adage, you get what you pay for. Although they are some of the most expensive tablets, they do an absolutely excellent job. The best thing about them (apart from the five star performance) is that you don't have to unwrap the tablet. I always find that such a faff. If my hands are even a bit wet, the wrapping slips and slides through my fingers and I can't get a grip. With these, you pop them, transparent wrapper and all, into the dishwasher. Bliss! Then all you do is wait for your sparkling crockery and glassware to emerge an hour later.
I have an AEG dishwasher and with these tablets everything is pristine.

Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure
Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice minty taste and quite moisturising, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first ColourBurst I have ever tried from Revlon, which is surprising, because I have heard lots of people rave about this lip product, such as SprinkleofGlitter, Tanya Burr and Zoella. I think this is a lip product for people with cooler skin tones, because it can leave a pinky mark on your lip line. I really enjoyed the minty taste to it, it is very subtle and not tingly which I like, because it is quite pleasant. The colour is a sparkly, nudey pink shade, which is perfect for everyday use. You could even apply it with no mirror. It doesn't stay on for a very long time, but I have never found a very moisturising balm to stay super long on my lips. It has a slight bit of glitter in it, which I find a bit much, but there is not much but there is no graininess to it and the glitter grains are not too big. I have found this quite moisturising, but I wouldn't use it instead of my everyday lip balm which is also from a drug store. If you have enjoyed this lip product, I would also recommend the Revlon Lip Butters. I think they are their most popular product.

Jekyll's Mirror
Jekyll's Mirror
by William Hussey

3.0 out of 5 stars Twelve school kids go berserk... and more, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Jekyll's Mirror (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book appealed to me from the blurb. Cyberbullying as a theme, taking the classic gothic tale of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde into the 21st century... what's not to like?
Sam is a boy who is suffering the grief of losing his mum. It seems she's been killed by his dad, who is in prison, and it seems that Sam was there when she died and is suffering the guilt of not being there to help her. In good Darren Shan style he is walking home one day when he meets a strange girl outside a shop called Phantasmagoria. He senses something awful around the shop entrance and it's not something he has ever encountered before. Soon events take over and Sam's teacher invites him to take part in an internet cyberbullying experiment which she says she hopes will prove the premise of the Jekyll and Hyde story - that when you can hide your identity, you discover a dark and deformed side of yourself. It's ok to bully in the experiment, the teacher says, because the kids being bullied aren't real, they are avatars. In addition, some of them are writing racist or prejudiced messages on the social network that Sam logs onto, so it seems easy to troll them. As time goes on he becomes addicted to flaming online, until he finds out the truth.
Coupled with this storyline, is the story of Jekyll and Hyde and an intriguing story of a mirror that was bought for Robert Louis Stevenson by Henry James. This is woven into the storyline in a chilling way.
There is lots of horror in this book, and a scene near the start set in a café with a disturbed, and possessed waitress, is truly gory. It should satisfy readers of Darren Shan who are a bit older - say Year 8/9 and over.
A page turning thriller with lots of gothic ideas and the added interest of cyber bullying issues.
I do like books like this that hopefully lead teen readers to perhaps explore classic fiction. I also like the way the cyberbullying story is woven in as it is thought provoking and will, I hope, make some readers consider the impact of a careless criticism made on a social network.

Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition
Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition
by John Geiger

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by Margaret Atwood..., 1 Jan. 2015
...who wrote the introduction to this paperback edition, which I could not put down, and stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish.
It tells the story of Franklin's doomed expedition to discover the North West passage, using the brand new invention of canned food, which the Victorians believed would enable sea voyages of much longer duration, as well as putting paid to scurvy, the scourge of sailors. However, the canned food - or more accurately, the cans themselves, turned out to be the silent killer lurking in the hold or the ships Terror and Erebus.
The section of the story that deals with the exhumation of three sailors who'd been buried since 1846 is very sad and absolutely gripping. I could not put it down. I had read advice to not look at the pictures of the dead until I got to those pages and I would say that is excellent advice. It really is uncanny looking into the faces of men who have been dead for 150 years. And to think that Hartnell's great-great nephew is there when he is dug up, is spine tinglingly exciting and moving all at the same time.
If you like history, forensics, or sea travel, then you will love this book.
Margaret Atwood has written a fascinating introduction as well as a short story about the disaster.
A fantastic story of heroism, courage and adventure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20