Profile for lilysmum > Reviews

Content by lilysmum

lilysmum "lilysmum65" (uk)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BABYMOOV Glitter Maternity Bag (Taupe)
BABYMOOV Glitter Maternity Bag (Taupe)

5.0 out of 5 stars A baby changing bag that looks fabulous!, 30 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bag is made by Babymoov and it is a really nice size, at 36 cm x 40 cm. From the top of the bag to the handle it's about 30 cm, so plenty big enough to carry on your shoulder. The bag has a lifetime warranty with it which you register online. It's got everything inside it that you would need when you're out and about with your baby.
It is a smart neutral taupe colour so would go with anything. However you have a choice of colours so you could co-ordinate with your other items. It's more of a beige taupe than a grey taupe - a very nice shade.
On the back of the bag is a pouch for the changing mat. I think this is a great idea because with some changing bags you have to open them up before you can use the mat and this one lets you get the mat ready before you get all the other nappy stuff out of the bag. The mat is 60cm by 35 cm, so not massive, but then it's easier to carry. The mat is backed with the same taupe colour fabric piped in a darker beige. It's wipe clean.
Inside the bag are five pockets which makes it easy to organise spare muslin cloths, bibs, nappies and all the things you need on a day out.
Also in the bag are three extra zip pouches. One is for dummies/soothers, one for a bottle, which is insulated with silver foil lining, and one clear plastic bag I imagine you could use for nappies, wipes, or anything that's damp that you want to keep away from the bag itself.
All that still leaves plenty of room for a change of clothes, book for Baby, and your purse and keys. There is even a key chain in the bag so you can find your keys easily when you've got your buggy and baby and hands full!
There's a large strap inside the bag which is well padded, so you can carry the bag on your buggy or pram.
This bag, when empty, could be used as a regular handbag or shopping bag.
All in all, I think this is a great alternative to the bags that look like changing bags, and it is ideal for someone who likes to look fashionable as well as carrying all the stuff they need for their baby. It's made in France. It's very well made and good quality. It's robust enough to withstand the baby and toddler years as it is all wipe clean inside so will stay fresh and hygienic.
I have attached some pics to show the changing mat and interior pockets.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Burt's Bees Intense Hydration Cream Cleanser, 170g
Burt's Bees Intense Hydration Cream Cleanser, 170g

4.0 out of 5 stars Hydrating and cleansing balm., 29 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great cleansing balm. I usually use a high end cleansing balm. I was pleased to have the chance to compare this balm to my others.
First of all the balm is similar to high end ones in consistency and colour. It's a white paste and you squeeze out a jelly bean sized amount and massage it onto your skin. The scent is lovely - it smells orangey and citrusy and I liked the fragrance a lot.
The balm can't be used around the eye area which is important to note of you want a one stop shop type of balm that will cleanse your whole face. But if you like using a separate eye make up remover then this would work well. I liked the way it left my skin feeling totally clean and very well moisturised. I think this is because it has glycerin in it.
I would rather you could use it around your eye area and for that reason alone I would think about whether I would use it as my go to cleanser.
However it does have the leaping bunny logo and it also is parabens free so I think for those reasons and the way it hydrates your skin it is an excellent choice.

Maped 836111 Color Peps Smoothy Crayons (Pack of 6)
Maped 836111 Color Peps Smoothy Crayons (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great crayons, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great crayons in six basic bright colours, which are nice and chunky and easy for little hands to hold. The colour pay off is intense and bright and great for kids of any age, I would say. A sort of cross between old fashioned crayons and coloured pencils, but just a bit different. Very pleased with them. They got the thumbs up from the kids!

Paper Mate Inkjoy Mini 100 RT Retractable Ball Pen Medium Tip - Assorted Fun Colours (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful pens *****, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do love Ink Joy pens. I have bought a lot of them in the past. They are reliable and fun to use in all these different colours. For any fan of stationery these are a great thing that brightens your day. The pens are small and great for popping in your handbag. As a teacher, I like to use them for marking pupils' work. The pens are retractable, and great quality. The ink doesn't blot and it goes on smooth, like butter. Each pen nib has a little plastic nub on the end that protects it until you open it for the first time, you just pinch it off and off you go! Writing joy!

Hallmark 5th Birthday Card For Him 'Scooby Doo Frightfully Fun' - Medium
Hallmark 5th Birthday Card For Him 'Scooby Doo Frightfully Fun' - Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous card, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fabulous card for any Scooby fan - it's robust card and it has a 3D effect Scooby and Shaggy on it. I know just the 5 year old who is going to love it!

Panasonic EH-SA31 Facial Steamer with Nanoe Care Technology
Panasonic EH-SA31 Facial Steamer with Nanoe Care Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Like being in a steam room without going to the gym!, 19 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all you should be aware that this steamer operates on purified water. I've been naughty and used tap water, which it says you shouldn't do, but I live in a soft water area. If I lived in a hard water area I would use purified water as my husband keeps some in the garage so I would just go and nick some of that.
I filled the reservoir to the half way point which gives about three to four minutes of steam. You then sit with your chin about 20 cm above the steam and relax! It was a little bit like sitting in the steam room at the gym, which I always enjoy, and it did feel refreshing and relaxing. After the water has been used up, you just switch off and unplug (it comes with a mains lead and a 3 pin plug).
I am not sure how often I will use it - probably a couple of times a month. My daughter said she would use it too though she seemed a bit nervous and wanted me to go first!
I do think this would make a good gift for someone who likes steam treatments as it does feel quite pampering.

Early One Morning
Early One Morning
by Virginia Baily

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving and thoughtful war time story, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Early One Morning (Hardcover)
This novel is the first of Virginia Baily's that I have read, and her second novel. Her first, Africa Junction, won the McKitterick Prize in 2012. The McKitterick Prize is awarded to the author aged over 40 of a first novel, published or unpublished. Past winners include Mark Haddon's Curious Incident, and Magnus Mills' The Restraint of Beasts.
Early One Morning begins with the character of Chiara Ravello, who is watching the Nazis forcing the Jews to board trucks in the ghetto, when she spies a boy whose mum is trying to encourage him to let go of her coat in an effort to save his life. In a split second, Chiara makes a decision that will have repercussions for the rest of her life. She calls out, "That's my nephew", and miraculously, the boy, Daniele, does not contradict her, and is lifted down from the truck. Chiara then realises that she has to care for Daniele as well as look after her epileptic sister, Cecilia.
Fast forward to the 1970s and a Welsh girl called Maria finds out by chance that Daniele is her father. The rest of the novel flits between the two periods, building carefully the jigsaw of the story of where and how the two women's stories are linked.
What I liked about this novel were the careful descriptions of places and people. The descriptions of Italy were very evocative and there are lots of mentions of food and meals that show that the writer is clearly as interested in Italian cuisine as I am! I also liked the passages set during the war, and was always slightly disappointed to move back to the 1970s. I think with a dual narrative novel there is often one strand of the story that holds your attention more, and for me, this was the war time story. The section where Chiara tries to hide Daniele from the soldiers when they are trying to board a train to get away from Rome was particularly well written and tense. Chapter Ten stuck in my mind as being beautifully written. In this chapter, Chiara realises that the train on the opposite platform is carrying people, crammed into cattle trucks, and she sees a slender arm and hears a cry, two words. Help. Water. "If you weren't staring straight at the mouth of a young woman, you might take it for the screech of an unoiled brake or an off-key whistle or the sighing of the rails as the metal contracts." She tries to prevent Daniele from seeing this.
Virginia Bailey was interviewed about this book on Radio 4's Open Book a couple of weeks back, and she said the book is being serialised by the BBC. I expect it will be a popular listen.

Devoted Duck with Trout, 2 kg
Devoted Duck with Trout, 2 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Really popular with my dog!, 16 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a golden lab and she really loved this food straight away. She can be fussy (relatively speaking) and she usually takes a while to get used to new food, however this was a big hit from the get-go, and she will be sorry when the bag is all gone.
It smells good and appetising and you can see why it's a premium food. Very good product. Recommended.

Catch Me Daddy [DVD] [2015]
Catch Me Daddy [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Sameena Jabeen Ahmed

4.0 out of 5 stars Punchy directorial debut - compelling, gritty,harrowing, intense, 16 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Catch Me Daddy [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know how to sum up this film as to say I enjoyed it is not the right thing to say but it hooked me in from the start and I could not tear myself away. It's a down to earth, gritty, violent look at two issues; honour based violence and drugs. It's the story of Laila, who has left home to live in a caravan with her boyfriend, and what happens when her dad decides to have her brought home.
Laila is trying hard to make a life for herself, she's got a job in a hair salon and brings home treats for her boyfriend. He, on the other hand, seems content to be looked after by her and doesn't seem in a rush to get a job. Poor Laila. She's gone from being trapped by her dad to a life of poverty.
Anyhow, when the dad decides he will get her back is when things turn really nasty. So, this isn't the sort of film to settle down to on a Sunday evening. It's a Friday night kind of a film. I thought the atmosphere the director created with lingering shots of mist and darkness was really well done. It emphasised the threat to Laila and her boyfriend. I liked the way the character of Laila was built up so that you cared about what happened to her. I was really hoping she would get away.
The cast didn't have anyone I recognised but they were all great in their roles. Her brother Zaheer was played very well and the paid thugs were menacing and scary. I found I had a stomach ache as they were going around asking people if they'd seen her, and I didn't want to watch but couldn't tear myself away.
I was surprised it was only a 15 certificate although I can see why as the violence was implied rather than directly evident, but it was still very hard hitting. Parts of the film were almost like a documentary, the acting was so naturalistic.
I thought this film was brilliantly directed and very well acted with a superb soundtrack of songs that added to the atmosphere. I would recommend it if you like Taratino films. It's got slightly less humour but all the menace.
I would watch anything else by this director.
On the DVD there is also a music video directed by the same guys - the Wolfe brothers - with Jake Gyllenhaal. This video tells a story of a guy going around killing people - the first killing was unexpected - lots of blood but a compelling watch. Good to see Film 4 still making such brilliant films.

The Oxford Companion to Children's Literature
The Oxford Companion to Children's Literature
by Daniel Hahn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone with a serious interest in children's and YA lit, 15 Aug. 2015
I purchased this as a gift for someone and they liked it a lot as they previously had a much older edition of the same book. This edition has been updated with many recently published writers, for example, a writer like Anthony McGowan has a substantial entry. (I just picked him at random because he's a popular teen and younger children's writer that I have been reading for a while). I agree with another reviewer in that this book has no illustrations but I don't feel this is a problem as it's aimed more at the adult reader. I think it would be helpful for librarians, teachers, lecturers or just the keen YA reader. The genre of YA fiction has gained a lot of popularity in recent years and this book helps to chart the significant contributors to that genre. I want a copy for myself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20