Profile for Verne > Reviews

Verne (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop reading the reviews and start reading the book, 3 Aug 2014
Knowing too much about this book before you start reading it could ruin it for you.

All I'll say is it's beautifully written, engaging, different, funny, emotional, interesting and utterly wonderful. That's all you need to know. Now go and read it!

The Third Policeman (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
The Third Policeman (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea, 14 July 2014
The whole idea of this book is interesting, it kept my attention and is quite funny in a surreal way but it can drag a little in parts.

The Universe versus Alex Woods
The Universe versus Alex Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, funny and emotional, 22 July 2013
It made me laugh, cry and revaluate life. The story is intelligently written, with beautiful characters and a brilliant story. I could have gobbled it up in one sitting, but I purposefully read it slowly because I didn't want it to end. In a way it reminded me of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz, but so much better.

Already in my top 5 favourite books ever, this will be one of those books I instantly recommend to anyone wanting something a bit different.

January First
January First
by Michael Schofield

3.0 out of 5 stars Michael First, 9 May 2013
This review is from: January First (Paperback)
The main thing to note about this book is that it's not January's story, it's Michael's. Michael's love for Janni is unconditional, and he is a fantastic father, but at times I feel this takes over the story too much. I feel for the mother, who Michael has written in such a way that I can't even see how they are still together after she's read it. He seems very controlling, right down to the way he tells his story.

I did actually really enjoy the book, in its extremely disturbing way. It reminds me a little of 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' at times, but the fact it is real life really is amazing. The pace is right, it's well written and wasy to read. I so wanted to give it more stars, because I know it's just Michael's love for Janni that makes his story the way it is, but it just frustrated me in the end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 10:48 AM BST

Frankenstein
Frankenstein

3.0 out of 5 stars For the emo inside you, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: Frankenstein (Kindle Edition)
This really did take me a while to get in to. At first it just felt like a science paper and I had to force myself not to skip over great chunks.

I wonder if this is perhaps because everything I thought I knew about Frankenstein was wrong. In my head Frankenstein was a big scary zombie who spent his life chasing a man around a castle. Wrong.

I actually really liked the character of the monster (who is not called Frankenstein) - he's just a little misunderstood emo... I just wanted to give him a side fringe and a cuddle!

So it's a little slow in places, and it does seem a little silly at times, but in the bare bones it's actually just a novel about your place in life and desperately wanting to fit it.

I'd give it 3.5 if I could.

The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders
The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 23 Oct 2012
I had to read this for a university course, and without that pressure I'm not sure I would have even picked it up, let alone finished it.

To the modern day reader the style feels odd; missing great chunks of detail out of things we'd linger over for a whole book. For example, we hear about a five year relationship in a paragraph, but it kind of worked.

The thing to remember about this book is that Defoe didn''t have any examples to go by. Defoe was one of the first novelists, and therefore he was inventing the genre - he was pretty much making it up as he went along.

Another point to remember is because it was written so long ago, people were not as familiar with emotions and feelings back then, which is why he would rush past these descriptions of Moll and instead just concentrate on the 'doing'.

I'm glad I've read it as it was nothing like I'd expected and gave me a new appreciation for understanding how novels have developed.

The Truth about Love [2CD Deluxe Edition]
The Truth about Love [2CD Deluxe Edition]
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't stay away so long next time!, 21 Sep 2012
Ok, so I was counting down the minutes to this album, I admit it!

It has a split of fast and slow songs and I must say, a few of the songs took a few listens to really get in to, but in no time at all I love all of it.

Becoming a mother doesn't seem to have toned down her attitude at all, and the swearing and lyrics are as typical of her as ever, and yet again, it works perfectly.

There are three songs where P!nk collaborates with other artists, Enimem, Lily Allen and Nate Ruess (Lead singer of Fun). These songs all work brilliantly, and I'd like to see more collaborations in the future.

Where Did The Beat Go reminds me very much of her very first album, and reminds us how versatile P!nk is.

Just give me a reason is my favourite slow song on the album, and Nate Ruess' voice sounds perfect next to P!nk.

The title track, The Truth About Love, sums the whole album up, in that it's fun, kickass and completely P!nk all over.

I'll stop myself listing them all, and just say - buy this now!

Bring on the tour!

Top Room At The Zoo [Explicit]
Top Room At The Zoo [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 28 Aug 2012
Saw Lucy on the X Factor and loved her music straight away. This album is fantastic as it's got some funny songs and some more serious ones, but most of all it's very catchy and brilliant to listen to. Lucy is very talented. I just hope she still gets to do her own stuff on the X Factor.

Wonder
Wonder
by R. J. Palacio

5.0 out of 5 stars Auggie, I love you!, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Wonder (Hardcover)
When I ordered this book I hadnt realised it was classed as a children's book. After reading the first few pages I realised and started to wonder if I'd made a mistake. My fears soon disappeared.

It didn't take long before the story swallowed me up and Auggie became like a little brother to me. I laughed with him, I cried with him, I was desperate to protect him and I felt so proud of him. Auggie is one of the loveliest characters I have ever met and I feel sad to say goodbye to him now I've finished the book.

A really wonderful story of highs and lows, it has a wonderful way of making you think about how you interact with other human beings and how the smallest of reactions can have such an impact. Most of all it teaches us that we're all just people and we're all the same really.

Disney Traditions Dumbo Hanging Ornament (discontinued by manufacturer)
Disney Traditions Dumbo Hanging Ornament (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 22 Aug 2012
I bought this for a Disney mad friend and she was very pleased! It doesn't look cheap at all, it's beautiful and quite heavy too. Would recommend for any Disney mad Christmas lover!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3