Profile for TillyW > Reviews

TillyW

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Daughter of Pendle
Daughter of Pendle

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written showing the horrors and injustice resulting from ignorance!, 19 May 2016
Recommended by a friend who knows of my interest in the old ways and I wasn't disappointed. Such injustice! Such cruelty! Such prejudice! I don't know what history this author has but she really got to the heart of this subject. The story is lovely , heart warming and heart breaking at the same time and shows how ignorance and fear fuel prejudice and violence. I would like to think we have moved on today but in many ways I doubt it. The Pendle area is full of witchcraft history and the author has managed to capture the love strength and goodwill which is also very well known in typical northern villages as well as the fear and bigotry. I couldn't put this down and was crying at the injustice and cruelty, I really hope there is a sequel to this because I am glad to say that witchcraft did not end with the Pendle witch trials!

An Abundance of Katherines
An Abundance of Katherines

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 26 April 2016
Really annoying to read on kindle due to the footnotes which just don't work without losing your place ! Took ages to get into and then just finished it because I don't like leaving books halfway through . Some people might enjoy it but unfortunately it was frustrating and boring for me .

The Dark Road
The Dark Road

5.0 out of 5 stars History, vampires, war, love and geography... take your pick!, 19 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Dark Road (Kindle Edition)
Oh wow! this is so different and I really want the story to be true! I did wonder if it was going to be another vampire story same old, same old, but it was so different and so lovely! Rowan has managed to explain significant historical events and link them with a story that ... well you never know, it could be true? The way in which she has humanised vampires is so clever and actually made me feel real sympathy towards them. Very clever writing, I loved it !

Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Multi Cooker, 3.7 Litre
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Multi Cooker, 3.7 Litre

2.0 out of 5 stars great functionality but non stick coating is rubbish!, 7 Jan. 2016
Unfortunately I'm returning this as , despite only using plastic utensils, the bowl is really scratched and non stick coating coming off after only 5 weeks! I love the functions, the sear is great, and it quickly reaches a decent temperature but I dont expect to pay £90 for a slow cooker and the bowl not to last!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2016 3:12 PM GMT

Free Spirit
Free Spirit

5.0 out of 5 stars Love never dies, 2 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Free Spirit (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this tale of love, the afterlife,growth and learning. The background of the old theatre makes a beautiful scene for this tale and Rowan's descriptive skills truly make you believe you are there with all the sights, sounds and smells of theatre life. Izzy was brought to life on the page and I found myself desperately wanting her to find peace and happiness through Fiona . I'm not going to spoil the fun by revealing any more of the plot, but go and read it, you'll enjoy it !

Daughter
Daughter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good twist at the end, 1 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Quite enjoyed this book but the formula of professional ,Hugh achieving parents leaving no time for their children , having such high expectations until everything comes crashing down, is so predictable! Big house in town, cottage in the country, enough money to have plenty of time off work, always a creative influence and of course the extra marital affair.... Last few chapters were the best with a good twist at the end.

Breville VKJ318 Hot Cup with Variable Dispenser, Black
Breville VKJ318 Hot Cup with Variable Dispenser, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!! don't hesitate,, just buy it, its worth the extra :), 6 May 2015
Fabulous kettle! Bought as an upgrade to the breville one cup when it broke after a couple of years. this model is much quieter than the earlier version and the variable water dispenser is easy to adjust, water container is much easier to fill and its overall much better. Hint go and shop around before buying, I bought it cheaper from John Lewis! ;)

Love Anthony
Love Anthony

5.0 out of 5 stars Much much better than Still Alice., 25 April 2015
This review is from: Love Anthony (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! Loved the clarity and explanations of Anthony's autism, the rawness of emotion without the syrupy sweet and contrived formula of "my sister's keeper" etc. The layering and weaving of the story was cleverly done to bring together the main characters. But mainly I loved the simplicity of their lives, no high flying lawyers or rich business people, just normal people trying to get on with their lives and deal with the crap that life has dealt them. I really didn't enjoy "still Alice" and the adulation and praise it received still annoys the hell out of me, but this bok was really well written,not rushed or scrimped over, not superficial or condescending. Well recommended.

Still Alice
Still Alice

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review. Sensitive but painful short story which I read in 4 hours, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Still Alice (Kindle Edition)
The irony of Alice's privileged life being hit with eoad is so painful. I did get a little frustrated with the constant middle class worries, obsession with academic life and career for both Alice and John. But I appreciate the book wouldn't have had the same impact had Alice been a shop assistant from a small town in northern England! I also doubt whether the author could have opened any of th e doors she managed to, if that :had been the story. Despite my frustrations, the book is very sensitively written and thought-provoking. Ended too soon though and using the last 14%of the book to discuss the novel,the author,book club guidance and advertise the next 2 novels are an absolute copout!!!! That's why it lost stars!

Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)
Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought after watching play in Manchester, 8 Mar. 2015
I read the first third before seeing the play and there were enough similarities and changes to keep me hooked . The play was brilliantly done with a really clever stage set and great cast. I'm not hooked yet on the writing but I'll read the next months series to see how it goes

Page: 1 | 2 | 3