Profile for Anthony Thompson > Reviews

Lloytron A3104SV 50dB Gain Active Digital TV Antenna - Silver/Black
Offered by eTwist
Price: 21.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A PRODUCT WHICH REALLY WORKS FOR ME., 19 May 2014
I originally purchased this item some time ago but did not review it at the time. Due to an accident which resulted in damage to the printed circuit board where the transformer enters the back of the product I was forced to buy a new one. Since the introduction of digital signals only getting good reception from an indoor aerial became almost impossible. This problem was solved once I purchased the Lloytron indoor digital high gain antenna. I recently purchased a new flat screen television pensioning off my Samsung 28 inch monster which I had for ten trouble free years. I have found a place just in front of the new tv which gives me optimum reception without even extending the antennae. This product really works for me and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Wonderful Dream (Holidays Are Coming)
Wonderful Dream (Holidays Are Coming)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FOR ME THE NATION'S GREATEST MALE VOCALIST DOES IT AGAIN. FANTASTIC !!!!!, 20 Nov 2013
The nice people at Amazon have asked me as an interested party along with everyone else who has downloaded it to write a review on the subject of Joe's new single. This I more than pleased and privileged to do.
"When the strange people at a certain record label severed all connections at the beginning of 2011 with the greatest male vocalist I have known in my lifetime my favourite record label of all time stepped in and signed him on a five year contract. My background is in grand opera and fine classical music mostly recorded during the golden era of Decca Records from the early years of stereo recordings. My excursions into the world of pop music had up until 2009 been quite fitful. That all changed for me when a slightly built young unassuming 18 year old boy auditioned for a television talent show in a Manchester theatre in 2009. Since then I have been fortunate to see and hear this young man in concert of four occasions. The last time was in September 2012 in a beautiful Wren church nestling amongst the hubbub and hurly burly of Piccadilly right in the centre of London. Whilst the world passed by outside a slightly built musical wunderkind was delivering a truly masterful performance singing various songs from his first four albums. three of which were recorded under the auspices of the Decca label. My late mother always used to say "Slow and steady wins the race". Another solid year's achievement from our boy Joe McElderry. More song writing, exposure to the lucrative American market where singers and personalities like Joe are pure gold dust. More charity work such as the coast to coast bike ride, a good fitness regime, this boy is doing everything right. Above all an ever increasing level of vocal excellence and sheer professionalism at what he does best. Joe in the music business for the long haul. Michael Buble has tipped this boy for eventual stardom on the world stage and he is not wrong." Slow and steady will win this particular race. Joe's new single is absolutely world class at every level. Decca Records have signed a musical phenomenon, but then we always knew this from the first moment he put pen to paper and signed that contract.

Bruch & Dvorak Violin Concertos
Bruch & Dvorak Violin Concertos
Price: 13.64

5.0 out of 5 stars ETHEREAL VIOLIN MUSIC, 19 July 2013
The violin is an instrument more than any other capable of touching the soul. The Bruch concerto is a violin concerto capable of touching the soul as few others can do. Combine this concerto with a great violinist playing an instrument of such ethereal beauty and sweetness of tone which I have not heard since the great Yehudi Menuhin and you have a recipe for a great musical experience. That great conductor Sir Thomas Beecham once declared that "The English may not like music but they like the sound it makes". Yes there are more definitive performances out there but I challenge anyone to find a more beautiful violin sound available on cd. BUY THIS, you will not regret your purchase.

Auschwitz - The Nazis And The Final Solution [DVD]
Auschwitz - The Nazis And The Final Solution [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Rees
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A STORY BEYOND BELIEF, 26 Jun 2013
I have watched this series in it's entirety several times and each time I have never ceased to be fascinated by the attention to detail shown by those responsible for this truly satanic quality of evil. The pathological nature of Adolf Hitler has been well documented and his relentless journey to total war using the organisational qualities of the German people was inevitable. What was not inevitable was the way in which his obsessional hatred of the Jews would translate into a crime of such magnitude that nothing quite like has ever ben seen before in the long lamentable catalogue of crime committed here on Earth. This is a series which every thinking person should watch at least once if only to acquaint oneself with the quality of pure evil which resides in the minds of some human beings. We are in the last resort silent witnesses to an historical fact which in a way diminishes us all. To say that such a monstrous act of evil could never occur again is to lose sight of a collective act of evil which can be summoned up given the right circumstances and the compliant mind set of those willing to suppress all vestiges of goodness and compassion in attempt to make such a calamity happen once again for whatever reason which can justify such an action.

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
Price: 7.82

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, 6 Mar 2013
Rimsky Korsakov's Scheherazade was one of the first pieces of music I ever heard at a public concert at the Royal Festival Hall in my late teens. Sir Thomas Beecham once observed that the British knew nothing about classical music but were attracted to the sound which it made. Scheherazade is one of those pieces which like the Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture can beguile the senses and suggest that there is no such thing as a bad performance. The more you hear this piece in the hands of various orchestras and conductors the more you realise how difficult it is to find the right balance between the tempi and the vast orchestral forces brought into play. Eventually you learn to know the difference between a poor, not too bad and good performance. I have a total of 5 recordings of this work the latest of which is this version which I have only just discovered. Guess which one of these 5 recordings will form a staple part of my classical music diet from now on?. No contest this is just a brilliant performance and for me it represents the perfect mixture of tempi and orchestral colouration. It combines the superb reading of the score by Russian conductor Kyril Kondrashin and one of the world's great orchestras, the Concertgebouw orchestra of Amsterdam. This is an absolutely masterful performance of what is an exhilarating piece of music. Take my advice and add this to your collection straight away.

The Very Best of: Montserrat Caballe
The Very Best of: Montserrat Caballe
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE UNFORGETTABLE VOICE, 1 Jan 2013
For me Montserrat Caballe has to be one of the great sopranos of the twentieth century. Such tone to the voice, such technique.
This is indeed the very best of this great lady's output. If you have never heard the richness of this sublime voice you are in for a revelation.
Buy it now and give it pride of place in your collection.

Hypnia 10 inch Memory Foam Mattress, Single Size 3ft x 6ft3
Hypnia 10 inch Memory Foam Mattress, Single Size 3ft x 6ft3
Price: 148.92

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY AMAZING, 18 Nov 2012
On Thurdsay the 15th of November I ordered the Hypnia 10 inch single memory foam mattress costing 103 including free delivery. At 8.30am on Friday the 16th of November the door bell rang and standing before me with a medium sized box was a courier requesting a signature for my new mattress. I had already removed my old one which was 30 years old from my bed resdy to take the new one. I opened the box and carefully removed the contents wrapped in polythene. I placed the contents on the bed base and surveyed what looked like a dead piece of tree bark which occupied only two thirds of the bed base and seemed about three inches thick. I was underwhelmed and sighed with recognition that I had just thrown away 103. One of the dangers of buying something unseen on a web site. I went into the lounge and contemplated breakfast wondering how to get my money back. For some reason I lost track of time and forgot all about the mattress. It was at about 1pm that afternoon that I wandered back into the bedroom to take another look at my dead tree bark which I had paid 103 for. Imagine my surprize when a large fully formed 10 inch thick mattress just like a giant marshmallow was staring me in the face. I was shocked. There was a faint smell of a chemical in the air and I opened the windows and after some hour or so the smell was gone. I left the mattress until 8pm that evening before making up the bed for the first night's sleep on what was now a fully formed superb new mattress. I eventually repaired to bed at 1am the following morning. I had to purchase a new mattress because my back was in rather a bad way and I thought that by renewing it matters may very well improve. Previously I had been getting up two or three times a night to relieve the pain in my back. I imagine my surprize when I enjoyed the best night's sleep I have experienced in an age. I sincerely hope that my little tale concerning the arrival of this astonishing product in my life will help others to make the decision to aquire one without any hesitation whatsoever. Well done to Hypnia and well done to Amazon for a truly wonderful buying experience.

Here's What I Believe
Here's What I Believe
Offered by produXa UK
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "Here's What I Believe" a must have album., 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Here's What I Believe (Audio CD)
Today sees the launch of Joe McElderry's fourth album, the third with Decca Records. Joe has travelled along way musically since he won the X Factor title so convincingly in 2009.

In some ways it has almost been a cathartic experience during which time the boy from South Shields has had some serious growing up to do. He has come through a baptisnm of fire learning about the reptiles who inhabit the world of popular music and tv entertainment here in the UK. In 2011 he shocked and surprized many by agreeing to take part in series two of ITV's Popstar to Opera Star programme. During that show he made a lasting impression on one of the world's greatest tenors and show mentors Rolando Villazon and our very own Katherine Jenkins. So much so that they urged him to forsake the world of popular music and enter a conservatory in order to concentrate exclusively on the wonderful art form of operatic singing. He went on to win that show with a staggering 77% of the public vote. Straight after the show he went into the Decca recording studios and within a week he had recorded 'Classic' his first album with his new label Decca Records. This album was the perfect blend of semi- classical music showcasing his newly aquired operatic approach to his singing and well known power ballads all performed in dazzling style by this consummate artist. The highly professional recording staff at Decca produced a great album featuring the voice which the nation fell in love with in 2009 which many fans feared they would never get to hear again on record. Shortly after this and after the third most successful tour in the World last year he brought out an album of Christmas songs chosen by him. Highlight of his year was probably his appearance in front of his Sovereign at the service of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall. What strikes most observers as odd is the fact that despite all this the commercial pop radio networks refuse to play his music. He is never invited to any of the junkets and bun fights organized by a largely corrupt pop industry here in the UK controlled by a handful of pop moguls who have their own secret get rich quick agendas which do not include this boy as part of them. As Sir Elton John once observed the people who currently control the music and pop industry here in the UK are a bunch of cowboys.If you are one of those people who make up the silent majority of popular music listeners who do not appeciate the endless cavalcade of second rate singers recording third rate music then go out and buy 'Here's What I Believe' from the boy from South Shields with the voice of an angel who knows how to use it to devastaing effect.It may well be the best album purchase you have made this year. If you are impressed with what you hear he is undertaking a nation wide theatre based concert tour in the new year. He does not play arenas where vocal imperfections and plain bad singing can be covered up by a cacophony of noise which seems to suit certain artists. Adele wont touch them with a barge pole. That says a great deal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2012 9:22 AM BST

A History of Scotland [DVD]
A History of Scotland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neil Oliver
Price: 10.25

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: A History of Scotland [DVD] (DVD)
There are not that many authoritive accounts to be had on dvd dealing with the history of Scotland. Therefore this one is not to be missed. Introduced and presented by Neil Oliver who is best known for his contributions to the excellent Open University sponsored series Coast. I am a great fan of Neil Oliver's work, here he brings all his diverse talents as a narrator to the fore. The history of Scotland is a very broad subject but he threads his way through a sometimes bloody historical background to the birth of a nation. At no time during this great journey does he seek to talk down to or lecture the viewer as some others do, he lets the story unfold with little vignettes of reconstruction to help the story a long and is never less than enthusiastic about the subject in hand. Great attention is paid to the historical accuracy of the material presented. A first class attempt to open up the turbulent past of a nation many of us take for granted. I highly recommend this and give it 10/10.

Classic
Classic
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars THE RISE AND RISE OF A SANDANCER., 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
When you have been a fan of the boy from South Shields ever since the day he walked out onto a stage in a Manchester theatre in 2009 for his X Factor audition, it is very hard to be objective about his album output. 'Wide Awake' was in my opinion one of the most exciting albums to come from any winner of the X Factor competition. Since then a great deal of water has passed under the bridge in Joe's life and career. He is no longer a protege of Simon Cowell and has moved on with his career. He has recently won Popstar to Operastar with a mind numbing 77% of the public vote and was described by one of the greatest tenor voices in World, Rolando Villazon, his mentor on the show, as a potentially great opera singer. Always assuming that he was prepared to enter an opera conservatory for three years or more to dedicate himself exclusively to that artform. Probably one of the most significant events in his relatively short career has been to sign to the Decca Record label, part of the giant Universal group. This collaboration has changed everything for Joe. Decca recognize that Joe is no longer just another pop singer chasing the dragon of pop chart success. He is much, much more than that, he is a truly great vocalist with the ability to sing in a number of different genres. This latest album is the distillation of all the various elements of that diverse talent. It blends the charms of well known standard songs together with more than a passing referance to his newly aquired prowess as an operatic singer. There is little point in analysing this album, it is what it is, a stunning tribute to the vocal beauty and awesome skill of this 20 year old. He is due back in the recording studio next January and I would not mind betting that his next album will be even more spectacular than 'Classic'. Cheryl Cole once said of Joe after he sang an iconic 'Queen' song on the X Factor show in 2009, "The people at home can hear, they've all got ears. That was absolutely fantastic from start to end". If you go out and buy this album and add it to your collection you will never regret doing so, from start to end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3