Profile for Andy Dufresne > Reviews

Content by Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne "hayks" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like post-apocalyptic fiction, it's a great buy, 2 Sep 2014
Really good mix of different post-apocalyptic short stories, I enjoyed all but one story (i found the Mute story slightly weird), and also read Eternity road off the back of reading the short story in this, which was also excellent.

Brodit 215445 Monitor Mount
Brodit 215445 Monitor Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly functional, 15 Mar 2012
Does exactly what i wanted it to do, the iPad wedges in, which on the face of it sounds a bit precarious if you're thinking of placing a £500 bit of screen quite high over tiles in the kitchen, but it feels quite sturdy and safe, and we've had no problems with it. Putting it up was a simple drill, raw plugs, screw in. Recommended

Mario Party 9 (Wii)
Mario Party 9 (Wii)

2.0 out of 5 stars Mario Party 9 = Wasted opportunity, 7 Mar 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario Party 9 (Wii) (Video Game)
Wow, where to begin. My kids were freaking out looking forward to this game, but it's left us all a bit Meh..!!

The 3 main problems are

1) All travelling in 1 vehicle - It's just not the same or as good as being individual pieces on a board.
2) It doesn't seem to know it's a Wii game - the vast amount amount of games use the buttons and not the physical moving of the Wii controller. I mean they've even changed the dice block selection to be press a button. That was one of the things my youngest child loved, as he wasn't old enough to beat his sister on the minigames, but at least felt he was participating by physically pulling the Wii controller up to stop the dice block, I mean, why-o-why change that, I don't get it, you had the code from the last game, just re-use it. It's not as though changing that to 'pressing the button' has enhanced the experience in any way. Really weird decision.
3) Games take a shorter time - not got a problem with it, i understand that it's on a lot of peoples Pros list, but in Mario Party 8, you could choose to have a long or short game. Now in 9 you've got no such choice, it's a short game or nothing. Plus the section that says "Do you want to learn about this board" is irrelevant as every single board is the same. You're going along this route....blah blah....mini-fort...blah blah....final boss, at least Party 8 changed it up (DK- hunt down the star, koopa - buy hotels, Boo- ever changing level\rooms) Party 9 just seems...well... a bit samey and a bit dull.

All that said I have to admit...

The kids still like it..!! - although i do wonder just how long this will last due to the same-old-same-old factor setting in.
The graphics are good - as always
The Shark\Lava\Ghost slowly catching you up - the kids love this
Always good to get different mini-games

It makes a half decent companion piece to party 8, many of the games I play are superceeded. So when fifa 13 comes out, there's no real need to ever look at fifa 12 again. this can sit aside party 8 as they both offer something different, but in a year's time I'm guessing we'll be playing Party 8 and not 9, and I'll be a bit caution about party 10.

What a shame...!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2012 5:05 PM BST

Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's lost some charm, and it's buggy as hell, but it's more of what you love, 21 Jan 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Good:
New companion wheel (and Lily, got to love Lily)
Books vs magazines
hardcore mode
Modding weapons
Cooking stuff

Bad:
Has lost some of the originality, as I really enjoyed the feel of Fallout 3 (wastelands ravaged by nuclear war, the enclave, the brotherhood it was great), and this feels different, just not quite the same universe.
I agree with what a lot of people have already said about the freezing. You absolutely positively HAVE to save it every 5 mins, as the thing locks up all the time it's really frustrating

Lets face it it's more fallout, and Fallout 3 was just great.
So you try to convince yourself that the bad points aren't that bad, because at the end of the day...it's still good fun.

Last And First Men (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Last And First Men (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Olaf Stapledon

2.0 out of 5 stars Epic but ultimately boring, 11 Oct 2010
I read the synopsis for this book, thought it looked interesting, and saw that most of the reviews were positive, so gave it a go.

Given the nature and scope of the book, looking back it was probably obvious that the book was never going to have what i came to realise I need in a book. A protagonist. Someone, anyone who you could root for, that you care about. The few individuals that you meet are dead so fast that you end up not caring about anyone who comes into the story, as you just know that's it a matter of a few pages before they are dead as well. I never thought I'd ever find myself in a situation whereby I didn't give a damn whether the entire human race was extinguished. But this book managed it. I have found most of the Masterworks series to be more Hit than miss, but unfortunately this is definately a miss (for me).

I think the best review i can give is similar to another reviewer:
1) Epic
2) Impressive that this was written in 1930
but Neither of these 2 things can hide the fact that ultimately......

it's boring...!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2011 8:55 AM BST

Ender's Game (Ender Saga)
Ender's Game (Ender Saga)
by Orson Scott Card

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of the SF Masterworks so far, 26 Aug 2010
As i currently work my way through the SF Masterworks, I find some have merit to be on the list while others flounder. Enders game was a joy from start to finish. Unputdownable is a phrase that gets bounded round in many places these days, but i defy anyone to say that this doesn't fit that bill. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

The Cove [DVD] [2009]
The Cove [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Louie Psihoyos

5.0 out of 5 stars Heard it was a good documentary....., 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Cove [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
....but knew nothing about the subject matter going in. The whole thing is enthralling, the subject matter is important and the way it's put together is brilliant. I was hoping that there would be some text at the end saying that this film had managed to shut this practice down, but alas no. The most jaw dropping thing is not the cruelty of it (I almost expect that from humans), it's the way that they are slowly poisoning their own population with mercury.

I place this alongside 'ENRON: the smartest guys in the room' and 'Lake of Fire' as one of the best documentaries ever...!!!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Very small, 22 Feb 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Just a note so others don't get burn't by this. I bought this set for a stag do, for a number of people, but didn't realise the size of them. When they arrived they looked OK on my 4 year old, but looked lost on my face. For kids only....!!!

Gateway (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Gateway (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Frederik Pohl

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no doubt about it - Very good Sci-fi, 29 Jan 2010
As many of the only people have noted, this is a very good book, with a great Sci-fi concept. I think it's the unknown quantity of each of the ships that keeps it interesting til the end, you're just waiting for him to get on a ship for a long time, and then wondering which one it is that makes him rich. I'm working my way through the Masterworks series, and i've found it to be 50/50 hit rate, but thankfully this one hit, and hit hard....!! Excellent.

American Teen [DVD]
American Teen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nanette Burstein
Offered by 101Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't expect to like this.....but it was good, 14 Oct 2009
This review is from: American Teen [DVD] (DVD)
I think (like the other reviewer) that it was a mock-o-mentary, but it was very well made. I didn't get caught up in all the 'is it or isn't it real stuff' and just enjoyed it for what it was. The main students we followed were slightly cliched, but believeable, and I thought the film was endearing, and a good reminder that as well as being the best years of your life, they are also difficult years.

Page: 1 | 2