Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (DURHAM, United Kingdom)

I Am Legend (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
I Am Legend (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 29 May 2013
I was expecting something similar to the film, and although the premise wasn't a million miles away, the book is so much better. Never read anything by Richard Matheson before, but will be looking for more of his books in future. Very highly recommended and reminded me of the bleak outlook of The Death of Grass.

Mud, Sweat and Tears
Mud, Sweat and Tears

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and enjoyable, 27 Sept. 2012
I really enjoyed this book, even though I don't normally read autobiographies, but enjoy Bear's TV shows and wanted to find out more.

I must admit I took this book with a pinch of salt as he is clearly a character who likes to embellish things to make them appear more exciting and interesting, but to be honest it works. That's not to say the stories aren't interesting in their own right and that his achievements aren't worthy of merit - they are and he's a hugely likeable and determined character. Everything just comes across as if he's trying overly-hard to impress. That said, the format clearly works as his book sales and TV shows demonstrate and, as I've said, I'm a fan of both of these.

If you like Bear Grylls, this book is a great read and interesting background that describes how he got to where he is today. Thoroughly enjoyable!

End Game
End Game

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: End Game (Kindle Edition)
I hugely enjoyed this book and have been recommending it to all of my book-reading friends. It's part political thriller, part financial thriller, part military thriller and reminded me of Tom Clancy and Robert Harris. It starts quite slowly for the first few chapters but soon races along at a fantastic pace and every chapter heaps on tension to the point where you're thinking 'this situation couldn't get any worse', but by the end of the chapter it is, you're left with a cliffhanger and desperate to find out what happens next! Reminds me of the first series of 24.

It's definitely a page-turner and I found myself reading until the early hours of the morning on a number of occasions.

I highly recommend this to anyone. Buy it now!

SecondWorld
SecondWorld

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: SecondWorld (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The pacing was excellent, the story was original and the characters were likeable. There were some twists and it was well written.

For fans of adventure fiction, I can heartily recommend it.

God's Lions: The Secret Chapel
God's Lions: The Secret Chapel

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I've ever read, 27 Sept. 2012
This is the first book I have ever had to stop reading because it was so bad. I read a lot of 'adventure fiction' in the vein of Dan Brown, Scott Mariani, Jeremy Robinson, Scott Sigler, so I'm no stranger to far-fetched plots and one small band of heroes saving the world.

However, this book was by far the worst piece of 'literature' by a long way. The story begins intriguingly enough, but every couple of chapters we have a monologue from the protagonist which seems only to act as a platform for the author to spout his views on the 'persecution' of Christians and the demise of religion in modern society. If this is not the author's view, then it is is nothing more than literary tar, which grinds the story to a halt and seems jarringly out of place within the narrative. It's as if the author has copied and pasted an excerpt from a lecture into the text, then used some weak segue to shoe-horn it into the lead character's thoughts.

In addition, the number of holes in the plot is absurd. You must always suspend belief and allow for plot holes when reading this sort of fiction as the whole point is that it's far-fetched; that's part of the entertainment. This, however, became increasingly ridiculous and after the scene in the desert, where several characters almost lost their lives and then continue the following day as if nothing had happened. There is no mention of the trauma and turmoil that they must be feeling, it's just back to business as usual.

I bought this because it was cheap, it was suggested by Amazon that I might like it, and as it was a series, I would have more to read when I'd finished this one. What instead happened was that I wasted £1.90 and I have now identified more books (the remainder of the series and anything else by this author) that I can avoid!