Profile for Annie > Reviews

Content by Annie

Annie (Wellington, New Zealand)

The White Masai
The White Masai
by Corinne Hofmann

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read but mixed feelings, 7 July 2007
This review is from: The White Masai (Paperback)
The narrator and main character in this book is both irritatingly naive and brave - though there's a fine line between courage and stupidity. This piece of non-fiction is no literary masterpiece, yet Corinne Hofmann can definitely spin a yarn, and has the memory of an elephant - the amount of detail she can recall of her four years living with the Samburu nomads of inner Kenya is astounding. As a woman she has plenty of guts. I doubt I could stand by and watch "my darling" drink the blood of a freshly slaughtered goat, or commandeer my way over steep terrain in a clapped out 4WD in the dark with a herd of buffalo staring me in the face. Let alone the bad sex...

Like a previous reviewer has stated there's plenty of food for thought in here about the ethics of 'tourism', of civilising the natives, and of nature of lust/love and obsession.

It's a good yarn to be read over a couple of days. The perfect book for your eco-holiday amongst the locals.

The Blokes Guide To Pregnancy
The Blokes Guide To Pregnancy
by Jon Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars informative witty writing for women and men, 15 April 2005
As others have commented, there's astoundingly little information for men who are having babies. I have a supportive partner who nonetheless couldn't get his head around the fact that my 'symptoms' were not psychosomatic, that I wasn't just milking the pregnancy for kicks (like, I'll feign morning sickness, gain 3 dress sizes, and develop acne on my bum just cos I can). My 'bloke', as sensitive and in touch with the feminine as he is, needed a book like Smith's that he could digest "like a packet of biscuits" without too much week-by-week pregnancy detail that is so characteristic of the majority of such material. It cuts to the chase, and is absolutely hilarious. Although quite graphic in places, I fully recommend it to impending and current Mums and Dads.