Profile for Zissimos Philippou > Reviews

Content by Zissimos Philippou

Zissimos Philippou "Music lover" (London)

Jacques Brel: The Biography
Jacques Brel: The Biography
by Alan Clayson

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly poor., 20 Dec. 2013
I cannot believe someone can sit down and write a book (if you can call this total junk a book) with hardly any insight , knowledge or appreciation of the Artist concerned.

Not much to add here other than the fact that this book should be out of publication as its a very disrespectful towards the great Singer-Songwriter and his fans.

The Original Mono Recordings
The Original Mono Recordings
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing songwriter in popular music gets the treatment his remarkable 60s albums deserve!!, 2 Dec. 2010
On opening this wonderful boxset, it was a pleasant surprise that everything about it reminds me of the orginal vinyls complete with inner sleeves etc
In fact Its like a miniature vinyl collection but with cd quality.

The sound is truly remarkable ..Better than SACD- I never thought this will ever happen.

Anyone who was dissapointed with the 80s Stereo releases and the so called 'stereo remasters' will be left with their jaw dropped at this Box set.

I can review the albums but I would expect most people who will be buying this have already heard Bob Dylan's work.

The boxset contains all his 60s albums up to John Wesley Harding.

My personal top 5 Dylan albums are : the Freewheelin, Bringing it all back home again, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks (the only album not included here -1974)

"Blonde on Blonde" and "Highway 61 Revisited" are possibly two of the top 10 best albums ever recorded.

Bob Dylan is the man who in Popular music turned the harmless ditties "I Lover her and she loves me" etc into a symphonic work of art. The Lyrics of his greatest work (most of which is found here) comes across like Plato meets shakespeare and Picasso rolled into one.
He covered Politics, social injustice, love, pain,the underdog etc and said it the way we wished it could be said! His melodies were highly diverse too: Country, Folk, Blues, Gospel, Rhythm and Blude, Rock and Roll.

Many People have been critical of Bob Dylan's vocals but it's just a delusioned opinion. Great bands and vocalists (The Byrds, Joan Baez, U2 etc) have covered his songs if not just recording tribute albums, though noone's vocals sounds as compelling, real, true, angry, inspiring as the great man singing his own songs.

Possibly the greatest collection of work by any singer/songwriter in any time in popular music!
The price is beyond just reasonable. These albums are priceless.

Buy it -it's a limited edition after all!!!

Essential Paul Simon
Essential Paul Simon
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great singer-songwriters in the English Language, 18 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Essential Paul Simon (Audio CD)
I have been listening to the music of Paul Simon since i can remember.
What you get here is not a rebel, a follower of trends, a commercial artist or a controversial one.
What we get with Paul simon is some of the most beautiful songs ever in the English Language, performed with the respect they deserve.
As one part of the duo Simon and Garfunkel, Paul Simon wrote : The Boxer, sounds of silence, Bridge over Troubled water and Mrs Robinson to name a few.
What strikes me as a surprise in this collection is how several of the songs here are of the same quality if not superior to the above.
ie American Tune, Slip Slidin away, Still crazy after all these years, Kodachrome, Gone at Last, The Boy in the Bubble.

It is true that many people consider Paul Simon to be a great Lyricist-which of course he is. But the diversity of the music here is mouth watering. Gospel, Salsa, Folk, Rock, Rock and Roll, Soweto,Jazz....

A truly gifted singer-songwriter who cares and respects his audience.

These CDs are great for personal listening, parties, or the car. CD one contains such remarkable Gospel Music, it would be o.k for believers to skip Church on a Sunday.
Superb!

Breakfast In America
Breakfast In America

5.0 out of 5 stars A hugely inspired hour by a band I never really liked., 17 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Breakfast In America (Audio CD)
Firstly, I will have to mention that Supertramp is a band I don't really like. I found their early albums (and their post Breakfast..albums) very boring and tedious. Their tracks were extremely longwinded if not anoying to me.

However, this album is superb in every way. Songwriting, performance, production.

Tracks like: The Logical Song, Take the Long way Home, Breakfast in America.Goodbye Stranger and Oh Darling are "Perfect Pop". It's like the best of Paul McCartney meets the best of Abba , and performed by Great Session musicians who fuse Rock, Pop,Hard Rock,Soul and Jazz to perfection. But where they play their Masterstroke, is that the songs here they never sound sugary like many top Pop songs do.

I believe the album lasts just under 50 minutes..but never a dull moment.

I heard this album last week straight after some 60s classics, "Pet Sounds" "Abbey Road" and believe me I felt that all 3 are world beaters all the way.

Finally, the Beatles have been and will always be my favourites, Pet Sounds was recorded in Heaven, I can't stand Supertramp, but "Breakfast in America" makes my top 20 best album list ever.

Strange but true!!

Best Of George Harrison
Best Of George Harrison
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars I can think of a Truly great compilation!, 29 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Best Of George Harrison (Audio CD)
So, it's nearly 2007 and EMI/Parlaphone/Dark Horse are just not doing George any favours.

Here is a compilation I would suggest to prove beyond any doubt that he made some superb post Beatles Recordings.

George Harrison (A Diary) 78 mins (19 Tracks)

I got my Mind set on You/Give me love/My sweet Lord/Run of the mill/Something/If not for you/While my guitar gently weeps/Isn't it a pity/Crackerbox palace/Living in the material world/Someplace else/What is Life/Blow away/Beware of Darkness/Beautiful girl/Art of Dying/

Cloud 9/This is love/When we were fab.

These Tracks are not in Chronological order.This is because like a very Good Beatles compilation there is a pattern in the sequence of the songs. You have Quality Love songs( Someplace Else,something) Rock songs (What is life,Cloud 9), light humorous songs(Crackerbox Palace, Blow away)Beatlesesque songs (When we were fab, Beautiful girl), Thoughtful tracks(Art of Dying, beware of Darkness) listed in delibarate order for optimum listening

Back to the best of George Harrison compilation: it under represents him bigtime and gives the false impression that he was only Good with the Beatles...I heard Paul McCartney compilations (nearly all tracks are light and jolly) John Lennon (Political and very serious tracks) Try George's above, the closest you will get to a Beatlesque compilation from any of the 4 members.