Profile for Maria > Reviews

Content by Maria

Maria (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
White Knight - A Regency Romance (The Oxford Pact Book 1)
White Knight - A Regency Romance (The Oxford Pact Book 1)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty readable story, 8 Jun 2014
An easy read and story moved quickly. Their relationship moved along ridiculously quickly, I felt.

A minor irritation is where many non British authors use real places then create totally unrealistic journey times. London to Northumberland is over 300 miles so talking about leaving Thursday to arrive Friday is impossible.

Must Love Dukes (Tricks of the Ton)
Must Love Dukes (Tricks of the Ton)
Price: 2.77

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit different, 20 Feb 2014
A debut novel and I think it shows. An interesting story but I found it a little odd, and at times, irritating.

The plot lines and what drives the characters seems a bit muddled. I could not work out why Lily was so highly sought out that she featured in the betting books. She is old, in marriageable terms, and has nothing particularly to bring to marriage, apart from being pretty, which would not be unusual.

I know most of this genre take liberties with how a woman of that era would have acted (mostly as the story would be pretty dull otherwise) but this seemed too much. Lily is a very modern girl. She is always out unaccompanied and a maid is never even mentioned. She basically acts however she likes, in all sorts of situations and either no-one notices or no-one is surprised, which is so far removed from high society at that time to be jarring.

Devon is nothing like the alpha male hero and for the majority of the book I think is pretty weak. I also found it odd how a young and handsome duke would be ostracised and ridiculed by society. Dukes are top of the totem pole!

In summary, interesting in parts and the downsides may just be teething problems. Alternatively perhaps just not my cup of tea.

Husband on Credit (western historical romance) (Love's Territory Book 2)
Husband on Credit (western historical romance) (Love's Territory Book 2)
Price: 1.95

2.0 out of 5 stars A tedious read, 9 Feb 2014
After reading some of the glowing reviews from amazon.com, I was expecting a good read.

Appreciating her background, I expected Cora to at least be street smart but she entered into the fraudulent marriage with irritating lack of thought or planning and then just passively let the time drift by, ignoring any red flag issues coming up.

All day to day financial matters, particularly the lack thereof, were glossed over; bellboys seemed to make an impressive wage.

When they luckily find an apartment, she acts like a queen, never lifting a finger to do anything. Nathan works a very long, hard day and then has to take on the cooking once home. It appears Cora doesn't even consider the need to clean or do washing, as virtually every day seems to consider solely of, as is stated for one of them "making a strong cup of coffee". The laziest little madam I've read of and not particularly likeable either.

Although it seems it is set in the 1850s, it is written in a rather modern vernacular, which I always find grating, and there is also reference to getting the husband to pull his weight around the house, which is obviously totally at odds with the times.

Douglas: Lord of Heartache (The Lonely Lords)
Douglas: Lord of Heartache (The Lonely Lords)
Price: 2.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, 8 Feb 2014
Like an earlier reviewer, I found the plot denouement baffling and irritating. It all seemed a very slow build up until the scene at the church and I was left without a decent explanation.

I've enjoyed the rest of the series so perhaps either running out of steam or written too quickly?

The Shadow and the Star
The Shadow and the Star
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - an epic, 28 Jan 2014
A really excellent book, set in an interesting era (so different from the standard post Napoleonic wars). It had such substance and seemed to be extensively researched and carefully written. I just wish it could have been even longer.... I'd have loved to see how the next few months / years went.

I'd thoroughly reccommend it.

Chrom Plated Universal Adjustable Oven Shelf Fits To All Ovens Adjust from 35 to 60 cm
Offered by Gagi Spares
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Did the job at a good price, 15 Jan 2014
Was very pleased: adjusted to fit oven very easily and although it didn't feel exceptionally solid, it certainly does what it needs to. Much cheaper than buying an extra Bosch shelf.

The Luckiest Lady In London: London Book 1
The Luckiest Lady In London: London Book 1
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 12 Dec 2013
Another fantastic, page turner of a story. I love Ms Thomas's style and story lines, and this was right up there. I wonder why so few authors of this genre base stories in the latter half of the 19th century - it makes for an interesting backdrop. Can't wait for the next one!

Fire on the Prairie (Western Fire Book 1)
Fire on the Prairie (Western Fire Book 1)
Price: 1.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but..., 8 Nov 2013
This was my first book by Ms Wingo and it will be my last. There was a good story in there but I found the writing style often jarring to read, especially when reflecting the main characters' thoughts. I frequently found Mercy, and her reactions to a given situation, both naive and incredibly arrogant. I found myself constantly irritated with her. Spencer wasn't much better on occasion either.

I found the violent confrontation scenes rather poorly done. I know this is stylised fiction but this stood out as poorly portrayed.

A Taste of Desire (The Elusive Lords)
A Taste of Desire (The Elusive Lords)
Price: 2.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Turned out well, 5 Sep 2013
I have to say that I struggled with this book for a good chunk of the first half, mainly because Amelia is such a thoroughly unpleasant character. I get all the issues with her father and the perceived neglect but her 'feisty spirit' just came over to me as plain mean, with a huge sense of entitlement. She improved as the book progressed and then it was Thomas's turn to be somewhat unpleasant.

Ideally I would have given the first half a '3' and the second half a '4'. Ms Kendall has a fairly easy style apart from her rather irritating overuse of similes. Ease up please!

Unraveled (The Turner Series Book 3)
Unraveled (The Turner Series Book 3)
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 22 Aug 2013
I found this a great read. A bit grittier than most others but so refreshing. Both characters, but in particular, Smite, we're very interesting characters and I enjoyed watching their relationship develop.

I love that the author obviously researched her background well and even took the trouble to explain any discrepancies.

Would thoroughly recommend this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7