Profile for A. Lloyd > Reviews

Content by A. Lloyd

A. Lloyd (Edinburgh)

Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner)
Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner)

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 29 Nov. 2014
This is my favourite book of the series! Its exciting, funny, and scary at some points, love the book!! Its amazing!

Revolution
Revolution
by Russell Brand

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, if scattered, but very good ideas., 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Revolution (Hardcover)
Brand presents a powerful underlying thread in his argument. Reading Revolution illuminated and articulated the feelings of irritation, discontent and genuine worry over the future that I have felt bubbling recently. The style is rather meandering and scattered but feels like Russell Brand is sitting in front of you talking. I found it a refreshing change compared to dry academic or political writing and this accessibility is a strength. While the bits about infinite consciousness don't resonate for me much of the rest of it certainly does. I have also gone from not having much time for Russel Brand to admiring him after reading revolution. In this book he comes across as self reflexive and self effacing and willing to be brutally honest about his own drives and motivations.
I think Revolution is best read with a similarly self reflexive and open mind.

The Girl in the Mask
The Girl in the Mask
by Marie-Louise Jensen

5.0 out of 5 stars EPIC BOOK!!!!!!!!, 21 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Girl in the Mask (Paperback)
Epic book! I was reading till midnight trying to finish it! Its my favourite book. I would recommend it to teen-aged girls that like a bit of dark romance. My best friend is 5 pages into it and can't put it down!!!!!!!!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 7 Dec. 2011
This stuff may work but to be honest I don't care. I bought it to avoid another endless set of sessions with a nit comb but the stuff is SO stuck on my daughter's hair that she still looks like her head has been dipped in oil. It was washed (shampoo onto dry hair as per instructions)after application and a further 5 times. The following morning it was washed 4 times and that evening a further 12 times. Her hair still looks soaking wet and I do not know what to do now. I will suffer nit combs in future. That is if it ever comes out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2012 1:45 AM GMT

Saturday
Saturday
by Ian McEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite 'all time' reads., 23 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Saturday (Paperback)
Typical slow detailed narrative with incredible depth and texture and infused with, what felt to me, a slow release of ideas that are very subtly suggested.
Concepts of consequence and retribution run quietly through the book in the contrast between the impending Iraq war and Perownes feelings about the central 'thug' character. Other reviewers have slated the idea of the thug being disarmed by the poem but I loved the notion that Henry Perowne just doesn't 'get' poetry despite all his intelligence and education yet the uneducated thug is stunned by his perception of the peom's beauty. Perhaps a clearer understanding of just how awful an illness Huntington's is is required to suspend disbelief in this sequence. This could suggest that a moment of beauty could be so profound when living day to day with the ugliness of this character's daily life, his physical symptoms and the abject fear and dread of what he knows is his future.
Ultimately Perowne's forgiveness at the end is heartbreaking and the parallel with the Iraq crisis is complete.
One of my favourite 'all time' reads.

Chicken Little [DVD] [2005]
Chicken Little [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Mark Dindal
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot for the target audience even it adults hate it., 1 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Chicken Little [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
5 stars because that if what my kids would give it and it is a kids' film after all. I saw this at the cinema and thought it was really awful but for some inexplicable reason my kids absolutely adored it. I am now going to be forced to buy it as we have rented it twice since it came out on DVD and they still ask to see it on a regular basis.

Festival [DVD]
Festival [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amelia Bullmore
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars festival, 20 April 2006
This review is from: Festival [DVD] (DVD)
This film left a really bad taste in my mouth. Having really enjoyed The Book Group I was pretty disapointed. The idea that the Edinburgh festival has lost one of it's main purposes, providing a platform for new acts to perform and grow, has been lost to the all encompasing take over of stand up comedy, was worthy but hardly stood out. In the end this film was not very funny and the many unbelievable and underdeveloped sub plots overshadowed ocassional glimpses of real gold.

Laura's Star: The Movie [DVD] [2005]
Laura's Star: The Movie [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Piet De Rycker

5.0 out of 5 stars Laura's Star, 19 Jan. 2006
A gentle paced dreamy delight for small children. The animated European city is pretty and the music and voices are lovely. My 5 year old boy, well used to more action packed films, and 3 year old girl were enraptured for the duration. It does begin rather slowly, but if, just for once, you want a sweet movie meant just for kids without the usual double level jokes for adults then this is it.