Profile for Hubbard > Reviews

Content by Hubbard

Hubbard (420 Paper St, Essex)

Page: 1 | 2
Braveheart [Blu-ray] [1995]
Braveheart [Blu-ray] [1995]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Aye!!!, 6 Oct. 2011
Aghh it's 1080p now! I gonnae go show my wee bairn!

This version has the bigger welt! and Dee Vee Dee can go fall up some bawbags' erse!

This is how we beat and kicked oot tha jobby Engerlish!!!

Though Mel Gibsuns still a wee bastirt!

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 10:41 AM GMT

Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [1977] [2011]
Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [1977] [2011]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars not so good, 6 Oct. 2011
...i used to watch this crock i mean honestly who watches this stil? i thought the 1st few films were good but that was wen i was at school imo this is old now and shouldnt be released over and over i mean talk about a money cow caching george lucas you want my advice? you shud get the matrix instead which has better special effects imo although i no the first few films are really old but the sequels were out before matrix and they dont look as good imo although i did prefer them to the first films dauth maul was awesome

so yeh id say they are good but not worth the money just pick up matrix or lotr boxsets instead as imo they are better and star wars will definitely be on tv again one day so catch it there.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 8:48 PM BST

Romeo + Juliet [DVD] [1996]
Romeo + Juliet [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars For never was a film of more woe than this of Baz Luhrmann's interpretation of Juliet and her Romeo..., 20 April 2011
This review is from: Romeo + Juliet [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
I remember dissecting this film for English GCSE a few years ago and back then I thought it wasn't too bad with a nice play of aspects for the modern day.

Leonardo DiCaprio is one of my favourite actors and lately I have made a habit of purchasing many of his films. Now was the time to start delving into his younger days and after watching the fantastic acting in Titanic, and reading many positive reviews, I felt Romeo and Juliet may have had that same spark..... which it sadly didn't.

Let me start off by saying that I felt keeping the Shakespearean language was a plus. I can't say I understand every line but I can say that I feel the emotion from it. Tybalt for example was brilliantly acted by John Leguizamo and the old language added to his intimidating character. Shamefully I can't say the same for Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes(?) where the dialogue fell empty and emotionless.

The whole Urban atmosphere of it fell flat too for me. I understand that the cheesiness of it was probably intentional, and of course I know the theatrics certainly is, but I just couldn't grasp how the film wanted to be. One minute it has a theatre vibe to it which is true to the script, the next it was trying to be serious which was where for me I couldn't "tune in". I suppose the scene where it cracked for me was where we have Mercutio singing "Young Hearts Run Free" which comes across very Rocky horror, followed by Romeo and Juliet's first meeting which obviously takes very serious turn. This is probably explained by Romeo taking ectasy but it still didn't flow to well for me.

Constant cramming of pop songs didn't work in its favour either. The whole California feel for Verona in the USA, instead of using Verona in Italy again I didn't like. It could of worked but the film quickly stamped out that idea when the terribly awkward into began. Something of which had me cringing and set a tone of how this film will be.

So why am I giving this 3 stars? The idea itself is great. I loved the whole "Sword" guns aspect and as I said the old language gave it a great atmosphere for certain characters. The beginning petrol station scene was great, the cast itself was brilliant. John Leguizamo and Pete Postlethwaite acting was convincing and well acted. Paul Rudd too I felt was good for the few scenes he's in. I guess it falls on the acting of Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in which I felt no emotion for. That is a pretty big deal for me for the characters Romeo and Juliet. The ending was so poorly acted and unconvincing. I really couldn't be bothered to watch any more by then. Luckily it was revived slightly by Captain Prince.

I get the feeling Baz Luhrmann is a fan of the play Romeo and Juliet and his film does work. A 2011 first viewing for a 1995 film probably gives me a biased opinion as I assume the urban feel and pop music was popular then. All in all, its enjoyable for some of its great acting but thats really rooted out by the weaker acting. I'd rate it 4/10 but I give it 3 stars as that sounds more forgiving.

Fight Night Champion (PS3)
Fight Night Champion (PS3)
Offered by APE-GAMES

3.0 out of 5 stars Fight Night: Amatuer, 30 Mar. 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Champion. Greatest Of All Time. Its what the Fight Night series has always built its foundations on by letting you rise through the ranks to the top with its excellent career mode. This time however, get used to just reading the word 'Champion' on the box art. EA doesn't want you to actually achieve this without throwing a little extra pocket money their way...

I give up with Fight Night Champion. In my opinion its absolute rubbish.

Really disappointed too. Loved Fight Night Round 3 and 4. I just can't take the new control scheme. Whoever said 12 different punches should be assigned to 1 stick needs to be shot with a bullet made of PAIN.

Seriously, its like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. Why try proper tactics when you can just hold L1, wiggle the stick (Whey hey) and hope for the best? They managed to get rid of the constant haymaker tactics from Round 3, but they've ruined it again.

Skills are way too hard to build. I can't even beat the 50th raking in legacy mode because I'm "Unfit". I find it very convenient that next to the skills tab is the "Boosts" tab from the very generous EA. Others are already noticing that Fight Night Champion is very hard compared to Round 4....

The camera is a horrible, horrible mess. Spins everywhere.

My low ranked character can't throw a punch for toffee. I know its not me. I was doing fine in champion mode but all my punches are either flailing over shoulders or being blocked and counterd in legacy mode. I've lost my first five games to decision because of this.

Online looks fun but imo is already broken due to cheap "Boosts". Think i'll stick to playing against friends then playing a 12 year old that bought his XP with Mummy and Daddy's wallet.

Legacy mode has been upgraded in some places and dumbed down in others.

All in all, I don't like it lol. Can't say I haven't tried to adjust to the new control scheme but it just feels to cheap. I'll stick to round 4.

Obviously I haven't explained much, I know. Its more of an annoying rant. I'm hoping that the people reading the low star* reviews are Fight Night Round 4 fans, and If they are, I know they will understand my frustrations.

I will state a few Pro's though just to give this game a bit of merrit and warrant the 3*.

- Champion mode. I like this new addition. Sure its a bit cheesy and *Could* be considered racist in a sense. Its still a nice addition and one I would welcome back in future titles.

-The online idea. Really love the sound of this and the concept. Just get rid of those annoying boosts! (Fat chance)

............

Thats it.

So in the end I don't like it lol. Glad others are enjoying it though. Can't be all bad in that case!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2011 1:29 PM BST

Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

2.0 out of 5 stars The PS3 CoD Black Ops experience in a nutshell......, 18 Jan. 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
...
*PS3 reset*
*Main menu, Load MP*
*TDM*
"Eliminate the enemy targets"
*Black Screen*
"Lost connection to host"
*Start SnD (Search&Destroy)*
*Black Screen*
"Lost connection to host"
*Start CTF (Capture The Flag) *
"Capture the fla-"
*Host Migration*
"The enemy has captured your flag!"
*Eject disk*
*Snap in two and throw out window*
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2011 2:06 PM GMT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so gentle..., 5 Oct. 2010
Pablo asked if he could deliver these personally at a local car park. After days of pain from a migraine, I agreed and accepted his recommended time of just past midnight. (He claimed these tablets worked better before going to bed)

Hours later I woke up down a damp alley with not only a painful migraine now but a sore backside aswell.

All in all avoid, unless you like walking like John Wayne.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2010 4:52 PM BST

Dawn Of The Dead [1978] [1979] [DVD]
Dawn Of The Dead [1978] [1979] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Emge

5.0 out of 5 stars The Daddy of The Zombie Genre, 20 Aug. 2010
If Night of the living dead was the birth of the traditional Zombie, then Dawn of the dead is its young years. The best years of its life so to speak. I previously reviewed Night of the living dead and described how the classic was only 4 stars in the sense that Dawn of the dead perfected it and boy does it show. Colour has been added for a start! and thats not to say black and white is exactly bad, but it helps this film to have colour. Next reason is Tom Savini's onboard! The father of gore who makes Night of the living dead look like a bedtime story. The final reason is a bigger budget. Now also as I mentioned previously, George. A. Romero did what many starting directors should strive for. He took a lesser known cast and small budget and made a masterpiece, and now he's back to do the same. To start off the review, here's a brief synopsis ripped straight from wikipedia.....

Following the scenario set up in Night of the Living Dead, the United States (and possibly the entire world) has been devastated by a phenomena which reanimates recently deceased human beings and turns them into flesh-eating zombies. The cause of this phenomenon is unknown. Despite desperate efforts by the US Government and local civil authorities to control the situation, society has effectively collapsed and the remaining survivors seek refuge. Some rural citizens and the military have been effective fighting the zombies, but cities, with their high populations and close quarters, are essentially deathtraps. The chaos has apparently spread throughout the country, evident by infrequent television and radio broadcasts.

Confusion reigns at the WGON television studio in Philadelphia. Staff member Stephen, the pilot of the station's traffic helicopter, and his girlfriend Francine are planning to steal the helicopter to escape the zombie threat.

Meanwhile Roger and his SWAT team raid an apartment building where the residents are ignoring the martial law imposition of delivering the dead over to National Guardsmen. Some residents attack with rifles, and are slaughtered by the SWAT operatives, and by their own reanimated dead. During the raid, Roger meets Peter, part of another SWAT team. They find the basement is packed with undead, placed there by the living residents. They kill the zombies. Roger, who knows of Stephen's plan, suggests they desert their SWAT teams and flee the city.

Late that night they escape Philadelphia with Francine and Stephen. Following some close calls while stopping for fuel, the group comes across a shopping mall, which becomes their private sanctuary. To make the mall safe for habitation, they kill the mall's zombie population and block the large glass doors with trucks to keep the undead gathered outside from entering. After clearing the mall of its zombie inhabitants, the four settle in, each indulging their every material desire........

So thats the setting for the film. An excellent idea which seems to also dive deep into the idea of America's 70s capitalism. Whether this was Romero's true purpose I don't know. The films plot leads a lesser threat to Nights. The mall being quite secure for most of the film relaxes the viewer and once again the film becomes less about whats outside and more about the occupants inside, that is until the films last 20 mins. This is when Tom Savini truely shines.

*SPOILERS*
As with Night, the undead soon find a way of clawing themselves back into the movie, this tife through fault of some bikers who raid the mall and let in the hundreds of undead that have gathered outside. Soon a gunfight ensure between the protagonists and the bikers and it is here where our friends get their meal. Not just a simple bite mark this time. Tom Savini went all out with the gore and featured dismemberment and disembowelment all in lovely gory detail. The effects for the time are excellent and I still think it beats today's CGI. True talent and creativity at its finest by Savini which only gets better in Day of the dead.

So with that, my review ends. A true classic and one of my all time favourite films which imo is better then Night of the living dead. I once again apologise for not including special features. I only own this on VHS and haven't got round to buying it on DVD surprisingly lol. So, to sum up. Buy it! Buy it now! Not tomorrow, Right now! You won't reget it. :)

Night Of The Living Dead [DVD]
Night Of The Living Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judith O'Dea
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars The Grandad Of The Zombie Genre, 19 Aug. 2010
I am a zombie fan. To me, there is nothing more scary then zombies. This film was the second zombie film I'd ever seen (Unless you count Hocus pocus LOL) and it instilled my love of the genre and paved the way for me to see one of my all time favourite films Dawn of the dead. I currently own a more older, basic DVD release of this film and cannot find it anywhere on Amazon. So I decided to review this version so I hope you'll forgive me for ignoring special features and the controversy of this DVD release and just talk about what really matters. The film itself......

The film starts with Babara and Johnny in a graveyard visiting their late fathers grave. Soon a man comes along (literally) and attacks Babara. Johnny rushes over to help and after wrestling with the attacker, falls and bangs his head on a grave stone, presumably killing him. (If not, we all know what will *wink* *wink*............ the zombie will) Babara flees the graveyard after witnessing this and takes refuge in an abandoned house. In the house however she finds a corpes and the phone line dead. Once again she attempts to flee but bumps into our films "Hero" Ben. Controversially a black man (More about that later) After calming down Babara, Ben lights a fire around the house to scare off the increasing undead and boards up the doors and windows. Ben also manages to find a rifle and radio and attempts to pick up a signal. However Babara and Ben are unaware that in the basement a group of people are hiding. Harry and Helen Cooper, their daughter Karen and young couple Tom and Judy. After making their presence known. Harry argues that hiding in the basement is the safest option while Ben argues that its only a matter of time before the dead break in and hiding in the basement will effectively trap them all. Instead he recommends they all defend the house from the ground floor and upstairs. It is he a power struggle breaks out and the threat becomes less of whats outside and more the actions of the desperate survivors.....

The movie itself has aged a bit now but its status in horror will always be classic. George. A. Romero himself is largely responsible for the zombies we see in films today and the movie itself is a great example of great directing. Taking a budget cast and studio and creating a masterpiece that most directors should be jealous off is an excellent achievement, and obviously the cast and crew played a large responsibility too. The choice of a black man as lead was at the time very controversial and risky but today stands as a slight push in intergrating a more 'laid back' view so to speak.

Ignoring all that. This film is a triumph and the start of one of the scariest trilogy's around. No zombie fan should be without this. 4/5. Only looses and star because of what followed which really set the bar in zombie films. Dawn of the dead.

There Will Be Blood [Blu-ray]
There Will Be Blood [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars I DRINK IT UP!!!, 7 Aug. 2010
I think there was only one lesson to be learnt here and thats if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw, and my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!!!!

Paperback Oxford English Dictionary
Paperback Oxford English Dictionary
by Oxford Dictionaries

5.0 out of 5 stars For I was blind but now can see!, 6 April 2010
As you can judge from reading my previous reviews, I was not the type of person that would spring to mind when advice was needed about punctuation and spelling. While still not perfect I have managed to change all that with this book! I'll resist the joke about how the zebra did it and finish off my review.....

Thanks Cambridge!