Profile for Timothy Cooper > Reviews

Captain America: The Winter Soldier [DVD]
Captain America: The Winter Soldier [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece from Marvel, 19 Aug 2014
Thor: The Dark World & Avengers Assemble have both really upped the game for Marvel and action films on the whole. It has to be said that it is every bit as good as Avengers Assemble.

Unlike Captain America: The First Avenger, the whole film isn't focussed around the Captain and one excesively camp baddy. However it's about how the Captain and SHIELD interact with one another and both Widow and Nick Fury feel central to the film, Widow certainly as the Captain's equal, thankfully considered in her own right, whereas in Iron Man 2 & Avengers Assemble where I felt she was there to just be sexy & play second fiddle to the male heroes.

The film also intorduces a new character: The Falcon, he is a good character and he is involved in the main plot line a fair deal actually, my only criticism is that he felt a little second fiddle to Widow and the Captain, that could have been remedied with just five more minutes developing him, but they haven't done a bad job & he still felt imortant. I look forward to seeing him in future too.

The progression of the characters, particularly Widow & the Captain is very good and you empathise with both of them in some pretty emotional moments (you even feel for Agent Hill who makes a few appearences.)
Though there are some rather heavy and serious moments in the film there is also plenty of wit thrown in there and it is always well timed.

Even better, although there is clearly some chemistry between Widow & the Captain, there is no obvious romantic interest in the film, and it's well characterised in Widow's teasing the Captain by trying to set him up with different women and his witty rebukes.

Finally for the Marvel nerds like me, there are a lot of subtle references to other heroes, having watched it twice now I can definitely see Hulk, Iron Man, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Dr. Strange and I think Quicksilver.

All in all a really well paced film that has great characters, some rather emotonal scenes, a balance of comedy and as always with Marvel, some spectacular action.

I rate it on a par with Avengers Assemble, but Thor: The Dark World is still my favourite Marvel Film... just.

Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 S7272 /S7575 /S7270- Premium Leather Wallet Flip Case Cover Pouch + Long Touch Stylus Pen + Mini Touch Stylus Pen + Screen Protector & Polishing Cloth (Flip Black)
Offered by GB Online Sales

3.0 out of 5 stars I have owned this case for earlier phones, this version isn't as good., 5 Jun 2014
The quality of the leatherette is okay and it looks good.
I can never be bothered with the extra styluses, but they work, and for the price, a case without them is still good.
I brought this as I have recently upgraded my phone from a Galaxy Ace 2 to an Ace 3 & because the Ace 2 version of this cover was so good I didn't hesitate to buy the Ace 3 one from this seller.
Unfortunately the Ace 3 case isn't as good: I think all of the components are fundamentally the same, however because the shape of the cradle is so thin (possibly this is an even fault between both the phone and cradle) any drop and it out of my pocket causes the phone to pop out of the case.
I wanted to give this a 5* review but because I am clumsy and bought it as a phone protector and it only protects my new phone half the time, regrettably I cannot.

Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

4.0 out of 5 stars Two great episodes with a dull one inbetween, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Sherlock really is great, episodes one and three are genuinely impressive, however the second was just boring.
I wholeheartedly recommemd it simply for episodes one and three.
Episode one really makes you think and literally everyone I know who's seem it loves the interpretaton of Irene Addler and Episode 3 gives a real challenge for the mind and you really feel for Sherlock and Watson.
Cumberbatch and Freeman really are an excellent double act.

ForeFront Cases® New Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Leather Case Cover / Stand For New Generation Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8.0) 8GB 3G + WiFi with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function + Stylus Pen Worth £4.50
Offered by Forefront Cases

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks and feels good but bad as a prop stand., 15 May 2014
The case fits perfactly, looks and feels very nice.
The only problem is that I bought it because the three folds design is meant to enable it to stand up and it is too flimsy and non-grippy.
You struggle for a minute or so to actuallytry to get the thing to stand up, only for it to fall down after your third featherlight touch of the screen.
On the whole it's a little disappointing.

Quality Mens Real Soft Leather Bifold Wallet - Black - Holds 12 cards - 2 note sections - ID section
Offered by Supreme Leather

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits cards fine, 15 May 2014
The wallet is great for cards, lord knows I've accumulated a few of those, however the notes and reciepst don't have much room and you can't fit coins in it realistically.
The top two tiers of card slots are not backed so your cards can fall into the back and can be a real pain to get at.
It feels a little squishy to the touch as the leatherette is not that pleasant.
The fact it remains that small though is a big bonus.

It's decent for a cheap no frills wallet, but if you want something better you really should fork out a bit more.

Real Leather Mens Tray Purse Wallet for Coins and Notes Black Brown Burgundy
Real Leather Mens Tray Purse Wallet for Coins and Notes Black Brown Burgundy

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but dented easily, 15 May 2014
Really handy for your loose change, it doesn't fit loads but you can get about 20 coins in (less if £2s).
It is quite easy to dent and scratch in your pocket but that may be my keys.

LENOGE® Ultra Slim Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Keypad for iPad 4 / New iPad 3 / iPad Mini / Galaxy Tab / Galaxy Note / Nexus Silver & White
Offered by ukoutlet

4.0 out of 5 stars For Android it's good, 15 May 2014
I recently purchased this to go with my new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.
It is a good bit of kit, it connects easily and is easy to transport in my bag.
A couple of the function keys don't work as you would expect, I assume it is because the keyboard is mostly designed to work on both Apple and Windows, but for the most part it works a treat.

Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo
Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo
by Plato

5.0 out of 5 stars Great historical account, 17 April 2014
I originally bought this for my Jurisprudence studies.
It's a nice & easy to read translation of the traditional texts. They provide an interesting insight into Athenian society, politics & justice.
I particularly like Apology.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
Offered by Sent2u

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent old game, 17 April 2014
I play it on my Laptop and for such an old game it still really puts my laptop through its paces at low settings.
I've been a huge Bioware fan since Mass Effect 1 so I decided to go back & give this a try.
It contains the same fantastic cast of voice actors and the same briliant storytelling as you should be expecting of Bioware.
It also has the Dark vs Light mechanic, which is just a bit too obvious at times.
It isn't quite as good as Dragon Age or Mass Effect, but given its age I really can't fault that.
Still definitely worth playing if you are either a Bioware or a Star Wars fan (or both like me).

Titanfall (Xbox 360)
Titanfall (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fast Paced Fun, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Titanfall (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I enjoy playing games and that's about it so I won't go too techy and just review the game for what it is and why I love it. If anyone disagrees you are prefectly entitled to do so.

I'll get the Xbox 360 ("X360")- Xbox One ("X1") differences out of the way first:

I have played both.
Put it simply the graphics are fantastic, though not the same quality as the X1 and I've already played over 8 hours on the X360 and it hasn't lagged once. So such complaints about graphics, slow loading and whatever other techno-babble (I don't understand fully) that are out there, I consider to be ill founded.
Apart from the graphical quality the game is identical in every respect to its big brother on X1.
If you have an X1 or are going to buy one soon, and you like the sound of my review I recommend that you get it on the X1. I recieved my X360 copy as a birthday present and I am slowly going to save up for an X1, so if like me and you want to stick with the X360 until the X1 gets cheaper, or just can't afford to fork out £400, I recommend the X360 version highly.

Requirements:

I have heard a lot of baisc complaints about the fact it's online only and requires a hard drive etc. My repsonse to those complaints are:

1. Yes you do need Xbox Live Gold to play online.
2. Yes you do need an X360 Hard Drive with at least 1.3 Gb of free space (the box says 1.2 but it's a teensy bit larger)
3. Yes it's online only.
4. Read the front cover (see the bottom left corner?) before buying the game if you want to moan about that.

Apologies to the majority of readers for the blunt nature of point 4; I assume that by reading this review you are actually performing market research on this properly.

Gameplay:

This is by far the most enjoyable multiplayer I have ever played. It is fast paced, challenging and punishes "campers" as the whole game is about free and fast movement as much as shooting, it doesn't even take much getting used to (and when you get good it's easier and more fun to just deliver a flying kick than to shoot people).
I love being a Pilot (free runner), though the Titans (giant death machines) are fun, to make the best use of them if you don't fancy climbing in, you can always call your Titan in, but just press down on the D-Pad instead of getting in to make it an "Auto-Titan", it then follows you around and acts as a 20" wingman, or guards a specific location.
The AI add a lot to the game as it makes the contest more fun and dynamic, they aren't too much of a challenge and you can usually beat 3-4 AIs (excluding Auto-Titans) simultaneously in a fight without much difficulty. It makes the game actually feel like a full scale battlefield and they encourage you to keep moving.
Human Controlled Pilots (other players) add the dimension of a greater threat and it feels more rewarding to kill another player in Titanfall than in any other game I've played.
As for character customisation, the only other thing I've frequently heard complaints about, there is a lot less option to customise your character than is available in most online games and the Titans have similar minimalist options, however I don't think it detracts from the game, as on the whole it is fast paced fun and you don't see characters for long enough to take account of how they look before shooting them and running away quickly anyway. The degree or choice is reminiscent of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, so it's still by no means bad.
One last thing there's no instructions manual, so swot up how to perform some of the more useful moves online (I'm not genreous enough to tell you how to wall hang or hack sentinels, I'll just beat you whilst hanging.)

Overall:

I cannot stress enough just how much fun the game is and I rate it as a must buy if you enjoy fast paced combat action, yes it has a few flaws when you are not actually in a match, but the in-match play truly is spectacular. I truly hope to see you online.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7