Profile for J. Daniel > Reviews

HTC TC B250 Micro USB Mains Charger
HTC TC B250 Micro USB Mains Charger
Offered by Crazy Bee

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 6 May 2012
I got this, all excited that I could charge my phone properly. And it did charge for two nights. Then it stopped working. Now my phone is dead... Brilliant....

Hidden
Hidden
Offered by iAlpha Technologies

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 28 Jan 2010
This review is from: Hidden (Audio CD)
Mainly just noise and bad 'singing' Not for me thanks. This was swiftly returned...

I'm normally not to fussed about the singing quality if the music is good, but both music and singing was so unlistenable that I just could not get into it.

I appreciate it may be to some peoples tastes, but I just didn't 'get it'......
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 11:35 PM GMT

Primary Colours
Primary Colours

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I have heard all year, 22 July 2009
This review is from: Primary Colours (Audio CD)
I would never have bought this album myself, but I got it as part of Rough Trade album clubs Album of the month a couple of months back. I was always put off by the Horrors style over substance image, the few singles I heard from their first album made no mpact on me whatsoever, and reading all the hype before the release of this album put me off even further. But like I say it arrived in the post one day so I put it on, and it quite simple blew me away. OK so there is very little originality here, the MBV and JAMC as well as the Krautrock influences are there for all to hear. But Geoff Barrows production and the songs go hand in hand to make a truly special album, finished off with the quite sublime track Sae within a sea. A must have album.

OK Computer [2CD & DVD]
OK Computer [2CD & DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatest album ever? only 4 out of 5., 17 Mar 2009
This review is from: OK Computer [2CD & DVD] (Audio CD)
Along with Pablo Honey and the Bends comes the Delux treatment of one of if not the best album of all time, OK Computer. As I mentioned on my review of the Bends it is a blatant cash in on the band by Parlophone (I wonder how much more stuff they'll dig out and repackage in the coming years) but again most of the content is worth owning and at £13 or thereabouts it reasonably priced too, even if you do own most of it in various guises.
Disk one is the classic album OK computer, untouched, no annoying 'bonus' tracks tagged on the end. Just 'Airbag' - 'The Tourist' with 10 incredible tracks in between. As it should be. 10/10
Disk 2 compiles the b sides from the era as well as session tracks. Unfortunately the b-sides are not a patch on those from the Bends era but in hindsight they do give a glimpse of new directions that Radiohead experiment with a few years later. Having said that Pearly from Paranoid Android is a great track and well worth owning. The Session tracks are from Radio 1 which if i looked hard enough I would find I still have on cassette somewhere at my parents house. However, not having a cassette player means that having them included on the disk is a welcome bonus. 5/10

Onto the DVD and this compiles the 3 promo videos from the album which were released on DVD only last year (there's the $$ signs again...) as well as appearances from Jools Holland (Which I also have on VHS taped from the TV). However it is the incusion of the documentary 'Meeting People Is Easy' which makes this worth buying. I never upgraded from my VHS copy so to have that included as well as the other bits makes it a package worth getting. 8/10

Like I say many fans will have everything already, but to have it compiled makes it easier to listen too/watch rather than digging out old worn out tapes and videos etc. The price is pretty good when you take into account what is included. The main reason for my purchase was because my OK Computer is pretty much worn out so I needed a replacement CD anyway. You may listen to the b-sides once or twice if you haven't heard them before, but then probably never again which is where the product loses the mark. But put the thoughts of 'cash-in' to the back of your head if you can. We all know that's what it is but the music is good, the content is good so what is there to complain about really.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2009 2:35 PM GMT

The Bends [2CD & DVD]
The Bends [2CD & DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Tidy Package, 17 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Bends [2CD & DVD] (Audio CD)
One of the best albums of the 90's gets the obligitory 'Delux' treatment which smacks of record label cash-in. However this can almost beforgotten when the music is as good as this. For once the original album is left untouched. I am fed up of getting re-released albums with bonus live tracks/remixes/demos chucked on the end. The bends was made as a 12 track album and this is how it should be heard so kudos for keeping Disk 1 exactly as it should be.
The second disc is a mixture of b-sides, live tracks and sessions and although I have all the b sides from the singles already it is to have them compiled to save changing the cd every 15 mins. And it has to be said that a lot of the b sides from this era are up there with Radioheads best work. Talk show host, bishops robes and my personal favourite b-side ever Banana Co are all here, along with versions of the album tracks that I had not previously heard.
Finally the DVD. Promo videos which were released only last year by the label which are quite unneccessary, but also a number of Live tracks from their Live at the Astoria release as well as sessions and TV appearances (The Bends from Jools Holland is particularly strong).
So like I say, it does smell like another blatant cash in by Parlophone, and many fans will have the majority of this stuff already as I do whether ist be taped off the radio, video'd off the TV, as well as the original releases, but to have it in one nice package, and when the music is as good as it is then I would say it is £13 well spent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2014 10:39 AM GMT

We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD]
We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Lilley

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 5 Feb 2009
Totally agree with the other reviewer. This show is incredible, on par if not better than Summer Heights, which is quite some feat.... The 5 characters are so carefully studied and you do forget they are all played by the same person. Lilley makes a very convincing woman too! As you follow each episode you get to find out more intricate details about each character and they are acted out superbly. Sure they are all far fetched charicatures yet they remain somehow believable.
Chris Lilley is one of the most talented actors/writers/composers (see the DVD extras) on the planet in my opinion. There is humour a plenty, but it also knows when to touch a nerve and the humour never gets too silly and there are moments of poignancy which I feel only the best of comedy writers and actors can pull off.

Buy this and enjoy, I know I did....

'Talk about a rough day at work.....'

Don't Try This at Home: A Year in the Life of Dave Navarro
Don't Try This at Home: A Year in the Life of Dave Navarro
by Neil Strauss

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 7 Aug 2008
Got this as I was a fan of Navarro and of some of Strauss' other work (Manson, Motley cru etc) but this is just dull dull dull. In fact i got so bored i never finished it. It is basically a picture book (wow look at all the Celebs I hang out with...yawn) with a diary element to it. Maybe I have missed something but i found it pretty much rubbish... shame as I have heard Navarro has had quite a life and a proper autobiography (which this had been marketed as I'm sure) would surely make for a compelling read. This however, a diary set in probably the least creative part of his career, is not.

The Great Northern Whalekill
The Great Northern Whalekill

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 7 Aug 2008
What a fantastic album. Saw them live a few years back and have their other albums but this is a step up. Halldor Laxness was similar in style to QOTSA with its stoner riffs but this is far heavier. Throwaway Angel is the finest rock tune I have heard in a long time with its powerful drums and awesome riff. One track, the name escapes me, sounds like Status Quo but apart from this the album is sheer class.
An awesome band who seem to get better and better each time

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
by Neil Strauss

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I have Ever Read Bar None, 7 Aug 2008
I don't like their music, I don't particularly like the band members but I read this and was blown away, quite simply the best book I have read. I love the style of it. It's rock and Roll, It's Sex and it's drugs and it's also moving in places. Neil Strauss must be creditted for the style in which the book is written, but the band wrote their own story and what a story it is....

TheFutureEmbrace
TheFutureEmbrace
Offered by hifi-media-store

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad I took it back twice, 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: TheFutureEmbrace (Audio CD)
T Bevan, I fully agree. This album is atrocious. I bought it the day it came out as I was pining for anything Pumpkins related. Took it back after a week. God his voice is bad on this album. And the music is equally terribly. The production suck. It is just a terrible album. Forward 18 months I see it in Fopp for £1. I think, maybe I was too hard on it, for a quid you can't go wrong. Bang wrong. It now resides in a charity shop in Bristol.

For anyone expecting something beautiful like Adore, which I was, then look elsewhere. This is Bad, Bad, Bad.

And after the 'Pumpkins' comeback album, all I can say is Go Away Billy...

Page: 1 | 2