Profile for Mad_Wan > Reviews

Content by Mad_Wan

Mad_Wan (Ireland)

What to Expect When You're Breastfeeding...And What If You Can't?
What to Expect When You're Breastfeeding...And What If You Can't?
by Clare Byam-Cook

1.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful, 20 May 2014
I was recommended this book before my son was born. It looked great, lots of detail on getting the baby to latch, positioning etc. It also claims that after your baby has a feed that they happily go off to sleep in their moses basket for 2-3 hours, provided they got enough milk. Roll on the birth of my beautiful son. Was completely surprised when he spent most of the evening cluster feeding. No mention of this in the book. And he fed pretty much every hour during the night, only sleeping for a longer stretch towards morning, refusing to sleep anywhere but in the bed with me. The author only really recommends one breastfeeding position, that is sitting in a chair with the baby hiked up on pillows. The only way I got some sleep was to breastfeed lying down. The only I got something to eat was to breastfeed while sitting at the table eating. This book convinced me my supply was inadequate, when it fact it was adequate. Avoid at all costs if you intend to breastfeed

Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
by Rose Elliot

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait, 8 Sept. 2011
Got this book last weekend and have been drooling over it ever since. Recipes look fab, easy to follow and most things look like they don't take long to cook.....which is great cos my current veggie cookbook recipes seem to take a minimum of an hour to prepare.

Nutritionally the book is also excellent-plenty of recipes with high biological value protein, and most recipes don't contain vast quantities of high saturated fat foods like coconut milk and cheese. A welcome change from books that think vegetarian cooking is simply cooking without meat.

There are not many pictures, but I would pick extra recipes over glossy pictures any day of the week.

Ladies, a Plate: Traditional Home Baking
Ladies, a Plate: Traditional Home Baking
by Alexa Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 30 Oct. 2010
I really love this book. Great photos, and a lovely introduction to each recipe that makes you want to pull out the mixer straight away! This book even managed to convince me to make my first ever alcohol free christmas cake.

I also like the balance of the recipes, but this is a personal preference as I love making biscuits and traybakes, and am not so keen on chocolate cakes. I only have two small qibbles-the tin size specified in the coffee cloud cake is too small to fit the mixture (well the amount of mixture that I ended up with!) and a lot of the icings are a bit sweet for my liking.

Mary Berry's Baking Bible
Mary Berry's Baking Bible
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Oct. 2010
I have a good few cookbooks, but this is the best baking book I own. It has a great range of recipes (though she does seem to be fond of coffee and walnuts together!)from the easy to a bit more challenging. All the recipes I have attempted so far have been very reliable and gave great results. The recipes are easy to follow, have temperatures for both fan and conventional ovens, and (my favourite) how long to wait before taking the cake out of the tin. She also gives advice regarding storage of the cake.

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement and Reproductive Health: The Definitive Guide to ... Pregnancy Achievement and Reproductive Wealth
by Toni Weschler

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Dec. 2009
I have being trying for a baby for the past year, and heard great things about this book. So, when I saw it in my library I had a look through it.....but it didn't really have any information that was of use to me. It is only really for people who are starting on their TTC journey, and not for people who are encountering real fertility problems.

It has plenty of infomation on pinpointing ovulation and loads of 'case studies' where clueless couples try for months with no joy and concieve the first month after attending one of Toni's training days. In the real world you only have a 20% chance of concieving in any given cycle even with 'well-timed' intercourse. When I started trying for a baby I found countless websites with similar information on charting cervical mucus (minus the full page drawing of a woman checking her cervical position), and websites such as fertility friend which will guide you through charting, which all make this book an unnecessary spend.

The author appears to be biased against the medical profession, and keeps repeating that most doctors believe that everyone ovulates on Day 14. I have yet to meet a doctor that dosen't acknowledge that cycles vary. Some of the medical advice is also a bit suspect...e.g. there is no evidence to suggest b6 will lenghten the luteal phase, or that progesterone creams etc are of any use. I found some of the stories bizarre. Why would a couple only try up until day 14, did they only 'do it' for procreation reasons? Why would someone ring Toni to verify that what they are seeing is egg white cervical mucus, would they not just get down to 'business'? Should I take advice from an author who used to believe she had a yeast infection every time she saw some cervical mucus? Before I started TTC I had very hazy ideas of my cycle, but I still knew how to identify normal cervical mucus from a yeast infection.

I had to leave this book on the shelf. If you are worried you are missing your 'fertile window' get it. But if you are like me and know that despite good timing you are still not getting two lines on a pregnancy test, leave it, it only adds to the frustration.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2013 8:26 PM BST

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Stuff, 15 July 2009
The review title says it all. This book is badly written, akin to the style of a tabloid newspaper, the 'good guys' and the 'villians' are like cardboard cutouts of a robin and batman cartoon...possibly even worse. Very poor female characters and badly researched.

I have no problem with the content of this book....the whole Jesus and Mary Magdalene story....its already been suggested millions of times..so its not shocking at this stage. All what dan brown has done is rehash old ideas, throw in a few cliched bad guys and wrap it up with some terrible story telling

I would give it minus stars if i could

In the Wake of Giants: Journeys on the Barrow and the Grand Canal
In the Wake of Giants: Journeys on the Barrow and the Grand Canal
by Gerald Potterton

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 July 2009
Excellent read.

It's well written, humorous and well researched. The trivia which Mr Potterton includes about the engineers who worked on the Grand Canal is very interesting. He also writes well about the history of some of the places he visits in his 'Narrow Boat'. His enthusiam for the Grand Canal and Barrow is infectious.

Highly recommended

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
by John Grogan

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 14 July 2009
I bought this book expecting it to be a hilarious book about a dog.

Instead its a boring book about the dogs owner, his wife, his career and their efforts to start a family.

There are a few funny scenarios regarding the dog, but Marley wasn't the 'worlds worst dog'. He was just owned by people who didn't have a big enough home for him, enough cop-on to train him properly when he was a puppy, and enough time to devote to an energetic dog.

If you want good stories about dogs (and other animals) read the James Herriot books.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2013 6:49 PM BST