Profile for A. Velautham > Reviews

Content by A. Velautham

A. Velautham "Arun Velautham" (London)

Swordfish 330LR A3 Compact Paper/Document Laminator for Home/Office Ref: 40191
Swordfish 330LR A3 Compact Paper/Document Laminator for Home/Office Ref: 40191

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the reviews, 27 Oct. 2014
Bought it because of the reviews, but have to agree with the bad reviews.
It worked fine for the first 5 pages then it just got worse.
Started not to laminate fully leaving bubbles and open spaces within the sheets.
Then started leaving streaks and lines on the plastic lamination sheet which did not look nice.
And this was only with A4 size and 125g sheets and not the 250g- A3 size which I purchased it for.
Choose another brand if you need quality lamination, otherwise, cheap, fast and lower quality lamination is fine with this machine.

Open: An Autobiography
Open: An Autobiography
by Andre Agassi

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, 11 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Open: An Autobiography (Hardcover)
We have all read the press and watched the news; the drug allegations, the "I hate tennis". Tennis fans aren't quite sure whether they should feel cheated for all the love and support they have given Andre, to me the book set things straight.

Most of us look back at chapters of our lives and can identify with particularly unhappy periods. Andre kicks off the book with what was going through his head with the match against Baghdatis in the 2006 US Open. It is a blow by blow account of key parts of the match and a thought provoking glimpse into the mind and heart of a tennis player. He then goes straight into his childhood, the discomfort and unhappiness of being the child prodigy son of an obsessive father. There are weirdly honest stories - his grandmother tried to breastfeed him, very disturbing but a revelation of a dysfunctional upbringing. What seems to carry Andre through his childhood are friendships with his brother Phil and Perry who later becomes his manager. The importance of the childhood friendships are critical and from the way they are explained it is easy to understand why these friends are crucial figures for Andre.

The critical friendship is that of his mentor/guide/life coach/surrogate father Gill Reyes. Andre is taken under his wing and treated with the love and respect a father should treat his son, you sense through the stories in the book that now they have met each other neither could really exist happily without the other. His marriage with Brooke Shields is dealt with candidly, many will buy this book to find out what celebrities do behind closed doors. Whereas I did think Brooke appeared superficial from some of the things mentioned here, I think it merely shows how fame affects people differently. It appears that fame as a child makes people so perception orientated that perceptions are more important than anything else - who can judge the pressures these guys live through? Perfectly understandable in my opinion.

The drugs issue is dealt with here but only for a few pages in the book. The very weird thing is it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Like most fans I was shocked and somewhat critical of the damage to his sport. But, I could understand after reading the book how stupid mistakes can be made. Off the book for a second truth is he wouldn't have got the endorsements for 10's of millions had he been suspended, or there would have been a clause in his existing deals that he would have broken had the allegations come out. However, reading the book and seeing what has been done with the money I can't help but feel it was better for everyone that nothing came out at the time.

Andre talks about his attraction to Stefanie from many years back, the courting process is just the same as you or I. We all have been through that 'has the phone just rung?' depression when expecting a call from someone we are interested in. It does feel almost story like the way they end up together, but we all have a story like this just not in the press.

Players are mentioned here all the time, the interesting one for me was Becker 'B.B. Socrates' they call him because he 'tries to appear intellectual but is just an overgrown farmboy', this is going to do nothing for Becker's ego. The rivalry with Becker seems more important than that with Sampras - who would have thought?

Another of those important times for Andre was a meeting with Mandela, a truly humbling experience for anyone. This times perfectly with the starting of his Charter school and I presume was a defining moment for him.

Overall, hey I got the book yesterday and I read 325 pages the first day this should tell you all you need to know. I felt sorry for Andre with his childhood but towards the end I understood how his father really wanted the best for everyone. Andre is surprisingly influenced by anyone he trusts - guided more by his heart than his head, he appears to live life to please for much of the book which is pretty much the way a child acts. His first marriage is what everyone else wants to see but he is developing on another level through his interactions with his trainer Gil, the goalposts are always changing as he tries understands what he wants from life. His 'hate' of tennis develops into an appreciation and respect. Throughout the book he seems to treat tennis as work, the only thing he is qualified to do. When judging his 'I hate tennis' just bear in the halo of your mind how many of us get up in the morning burning and bustling to go to our jobs - these guys are human too.

When you read this book you will see parallels between what you go through in life with what a celebrity goes through but you go through it perhaps without the press. It is incredibly well written, so well written in fact that most will not credit Andre for the writing. This is what it says it is, an autobiography not just a tennis manual. This was totally not what I was expecting, a literary masterpiece from a tennis player? A must buy for any tennis fan and a perfect Christmas present. Enjoy!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 12:33 AM GMT

Dyson DC24 Multi Floor Ultra-lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC24 Multi Floor Ultra-lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, 15 Oct. 2009
I bought this after reading some of the reviews on this site. It is incredibly small coming out of the box, I would recommend you seeing one in a shop before ordering online and try imitating the hoovering movements. The DC24 is much better in my opinion than the DC25 in terms of ease of use. As some reviewers have stated the DC25 with the ball technology places quite a strain on your wrists, I certainly felt that in the electrical shop I visited.

Although the DC24 is about half as powerful as the DC25, remember it has a smaller front to it so overall the suction is probably almost as good. I found this machine very light and a dream to use in my parents place. My mother is getting a little old so she was looking for something she could use - and she enjoyed using this model. Be aware that the dust tray is small - it is however proportionate to the size of the machine.

This is the perfect vacuum cleaner for an apartment or for a house with little carpet. So if you have wooden floors and pets get this machine. I am not sure how effective it is with large carpeted houses so read through the other reviews for a heads up. Enjoy!

Ice Road Truckers: Complete Season 1 [DVD] [2007]
Ice Road Truckers: Complete Season 1 [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ice Road Truckers
Offered by Special Interests

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't you always want to know how to drive on ice?, 7 Mar. 2009
This series is very reasonably priced entertainment providing us with a great insight into the world of trucking on ice.

The series explains the fundamentals of the formation and maintenance of ice roads. It follows a few of the truckers on their travels to the diamond mines. The friendships and emotions are shared with the camera.

By the end of the series you feel you really know these guys and have a great appreciation for the job they do.

Bigger Stronger Faster [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Bigger Stronger Faster [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little gem of a documentary, 7 Mar. 2009
I just watched this on a flight, if you like Morgan Spurlock's 'Supersize Me' you will definitely like the Spurlock type approach on the subject of steroids and bodybuilding in general.

More than a fly off the wall documentary, Chris Bell even takes us into his own home and interviews memebers of his own family who are on steroids and asks them why they took them.

It is a well balanced documentary of a decent length [approx 1.5hrs if I remember correctly]. I am waiting for it to come out on Region 2 then I will definitely buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2011 2:08 PM BST