Profile for stevie > Reviews

stevie

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, 5 Jun. 2011
Over-priced.

Body of the shirt is massively out of proportion to the neck size.

Discovered what looked like two red pen marks on the shirt when I opened the packet or the day that I needed to wear it.

The Pragmatic Programmer
The Pragmatic Programmer
by Andrew Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly an enjoyable, feel-good book, but, I'm not convinced that it is a "must read"., 20 Feb. 2011
The ideas presented are still very relevant today despite the examples being rather dated. The writing style puts ideas across in a clear, easy to read manner. The choice of phrasing for some points is excellent, specifcally when describing Technical Debt. However, as a more experienced developer, I found the content to be too high level for me to take a lot away. At the same time, the book covers such a breadth in topics that I'm not convinced enough detail has been given for someone starting out in their career either.

Overall, I'm glad that I've read The Pragmatic Programmer but feel I am unlikely to go back to it.

The Passionate Programmer: Creating a Remarkable Career in Software Development (Pragmatic Life)
by Chad Fowler

4.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend this book, 30 Oct. 2010
This book is a worthwhile read for any developer. A fair number of the ideas were not new to me but were well worth being reminded of. The book is nicely broken into bitesize sections so you can read one or two a day or blitz through lots in one sitting.