Profile for Peter J. Chambers > Reviews

Content by Peter J. Chambers

Peter J. Chambers

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose 12mm Extra Thick High Density Anti-Tear Exercise Mat with Carrying Strap (Black)
Offered by BalanceFrom UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers good protection even for the heavier person, 6 Aug. 2015
I weigh around 15 and-a-half stone and wanted a mat that would offer excellent protection for my back doing sit-ups, crunches, hip flexes, bum tucks etc and decided on making this purchase. Living in a brand new flat which I hope to be a temporary arrangement, I have therefore not bothered with underlay under the carpet, so essentially the only thing between me, the carpet and the concrete floor is this mat when performing my exercises. I am pleased to report that this all-purpose 12mm mat gives great protection for my hips, spine and head whilst performing my daily routine - and I would recommend it to anyone who also like me, though despite being reasonably fit (I walk on average four/five miles a day) are a bit on the heavy side. Being just over six foot tall I have also found the length to be just about right for what I do. The strap has come in handy once or twice but I will be buying an appropriate bag to give it hygenically more protection.

I thoroughly recommend this mat to anyone looking to add to their fitness.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Alexander O'Neal - Greatest Hits, 14 July 2015
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have to admit that the kind of music on this album is not to my usual taste and therefore probably won't get as much play as others in my collection. That said, the reason why I bought this album is that when I was a teenager back in the late eighties songs such as the excellent "Criticize" seemed to match the mood of the inevitable relationship difficulties that happen at that age. I heard the song recently on the radio and it took me back to the angst that I experienced once or twice back then which seems so distant now, though the memory of the frustration that I felt still gives a certain energy. Totally enjoyable in a different way these days.

Other songs that still 'do it for me' after all these years include another song in the same vein as the aforementioned "Criticize", namely "Fake". "Never Knew Love Like This, Saturday Love, If You Were Here Tonight" and "The Lovers" are other songs that appeal to me and get listened to more than once when I play the album.

The audio quality is very good and an eight page sleeve contains four pages of notes from Amy Linden. Tracklistings are minimal containing title, writers, producers and year.

For me, this is as good as dance music with decent lyrics got in the mid to late eighties.

The Last Great Prizefight: Johnson vs. Jeffries, Reno July 4, 1910, a Tex Rickard Promotion
by Steven Frederick

4.0 out of 5 stars 105 years ago to the very date..., 4 July 2015
Yes, exactly 105 years ago to the date of the most important sporting event that ever happened considering the historical, social, racial and cultural impact, I find myself submitting this review.

However, as an enjoyable read that this book is, it should be pointed out there are some glaring inaccuracies that should never have made it passed a decent editor. For example, underneath a picture of Tommy Burns on page 75 the caption inaccurately states that Burns was champion from 1906-1909 -though the author does at least correct this in the main text. At one point on page 122 Johnson is spelt "Jackson", and on page 148 it is spelt "Jonson". These basic errors have made me question the more intricate details of the books content. So there is a lot of cross referencing to be done from other sources if the reader wants to be sure of Frederick's accuracy.

That said, I did find chapter 7 "Tex" a good read. This gave an interesting account regarding the background of promoter Tex Rickard. Chapter 12 "The Lowest Bids Wins", was also highly enjoyable which details the characters and events leading up to the winning of the bidding process of the Johnson Jeffries fight.

So, despite the book's inaccuracies, several typos and some poetic license, the 'gist' of the book makes for an enjoyable read. There are 22 b&w photos spread over two sections of the book, including one of the two known existing photos of the 1889 fight between John L Sullivan and Jake Kilrain. An index, bibliography, photo source notes and quotations are also included.

Rumours
Rumours
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect album, 27 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
I have resisted giving the obligatory five stars for this review although I appreciate that most reviewers have awarded the full amount in theirs. I feel that the album, as good as it is, is brilliant with the well known tracks such as the best track on the disc and the best recorded by Mac in my opinion, "Dreams", and others such as "Go Your Own Way, Don't Stop, You Make Lovin' Fun" and "The Chain". However, some other tracks such as "Never Going Back Again, Songbird" and "I Don't Want To Know", although pleasant enough, have a filler drop in quality feel to those songs. This creates an unbalanced listen and I admit to skipping the latter songs mentioned in my review.

Despite my admittedly picky review, "Rumours" is a beautifully iconic and legendary album and it is easy to see why for many, it is their favourite album of all time. As previously aforementioned, in my opinion, "Dreams" written and performed by the gorgeous Stevie Nicks, is the highlight of the album and of the Fleetwood Mac back catalogue of songs. Macs almost as legendary personal struggles going on at the time of the recording of "Rumours" are well known and are reflected in the best songs on the album, "Dreams" and "Go Your Own Way".

The audio quality on this cd is pristine and the eight page liner contains lyrics to all the songs, photos of the band and a list of personnel and recording details.

Highly recommended, this is an almost perfect album from one of the best groups ever to enter a recording studio.

In the Ring With Jack Johnson - Part I: The Rise
In the Ring With Jack Johnson - Part I: The Rise
by Adam J. Pollack

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic account regarding the most important athlete ever, 21 Jun. 2015
This beautifully produced 710 page tomb takes the reader on a social, racial and cultural journey regarding the climate that surrounds the books subject, Jack Johnson, through to the start of his historical championship win in Sydney, Australia in 1908. For me, Jack Johnson is THE most important athlete that has existed bar none, for the impact he made not just in boxing, but in a world of extreme racial discrimination and hatred. As brave as Jack was in the ring, he was a lot more brave out of it when you consider that in the era of early twentieth century America, black people were lynched just for being black in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Using a vast array of primary newspaper sources as well as a good selection of secondary ones, the author illuminates an important racial and social background to help contextualize the period when Jack Johnson became the foremost black citizen on earth.

Most people reading the reviews on this page for Adam Pollack's epic account on Johnson will already be familiar with a lot of the struggles that Jack endured. But this excellent biography gives huge detail - there are 1039 references throughout - which facilitates taking the reader into that bygone era when gloved boxing was still in its infancy. It is a book that I personally loved to return to after each chapter to pick up from where I left off.

Johnson's fights, as would be expected in a book of this volume, have an amazing amount of detail as does the characters that surround the life of the subject. Included are many photos and illustrations that are well chosen, and some that I personally hadn't seen before despite owning several books on Jack. The photos and illustrations are placed throughout the book rather than in a section by themselves.

The work that went into writing this, the first part of Jack Johnson's story, was immense, and I very much enjoyed spending time reading it. I certainly will be purchasing Part 2: The Reign.

The Best of King Curtis
The Best of King Curtis
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Top draw blues and jazz collection from King Curtis, 20 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Best of King Curtis (Audio CD)
This is a highly appreciated collection of blues jazz tracks from King Curtis, an artist that I have only recently discovered. The recordings I have found highly addictive and the album has become a regular choice on my player. I was already aware of the classic "Night Train" from other versions done by other players and this version is right up there with the best of them. All 16 tracks, including a gorgeous version of Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come", help to create a beautiful blues jazz ambience, and the disc speeds along with a running time of 43 minutes and 18 seconds.

The transfers on the cd are exquisite and the tracklistings contain title, songs duration, writers, players, date, month and year of recordings, as well as details of original issues of recordings. A one and a-half page liner note by Michael Cuscana I found informative as my knowledge of King Curtis is somewhat limited.

I can not fault this collection of tracks and recommend the album to lovers of superb musicianship, and in particular, that of blues and jazz.

Hancock's Half Hour: The Very Best Episodes Volume 2: v. 2 (BBC Radio Collections)
by Alan Simpson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Hancock et al perform brilliantly in these four episodes, 7 Jun. 2015
All four episodes in this collection have excellent audio quality and the eight page inlay contains a page each on the recordings and the tracklistings, with an illustration taken from the Radio Times in 1959 advertising Hancock's Half Hour. Two pages of episode notes written by Galton & Simpson are included, as is a page on Tony Hancock and one on the writers. The episodes chosen by Ray and Alan for this set show the Half Hour team in excellent form. I recommend these discs to lovers of brilliantly performed radio comedy.

Below contains spoiler alerts for each episode - you have been warned!

Series 3 Episode 19
The Conjuror - sees the gullible Hancock conned by Sid to perform magic tricks from inside Dartmoor prison to facilitate an escape plan. Kenneth Williams stars in a couple of roles including that of the prison Governor. This is an excellent episode written by Galton & Simpson performed by the participants and in particular, Hancock and Williams. It is very funny.

Series 4 Episode 8
Cyrano de Hancock - This episode sees Sid declaring his love for Miss Pugh (Hattie Jacques) to Hancock and Bill. Hancock finds this hilarious but gives advice to Sid on how to win her heart. However, much to Sid's chagrin, Miss Pugh mistakingly falls for Hancock instead and Tony has to hatch a plan to escape the imminent marriage to his secretary. Kenneth Williams plays the incompetent registrar to which Hancock becomes married. This is a simple but very funny episode with all the players on top form.

Series 4 Episode 12
The Diary - This epsiode sees Hancock on New Year's Eve 1956 looking back over the past years events from his diary entries. We hear Hancock, in the role of a Walter Mitty type character in the guise of a surgeon, lion tamer and test pilot - the latter being an hilarious skit with Kenneth Williams which is the highlight of the episode. Sid, Bill and Hattie Jacques lend excellent support, as always, though it is Tony and Kenneth Williams that provide most of the memorable laughs.

Series 6 Episode 14
The Impersonator - Hancock is startled to find an actor in a cornflake commercial imitating his voice without his permission and takes the impersonator, played by Peter Goodwright, to court. Sid acts as Tony's prosecutor with the consequence that the impersonator is hired by the BBC to replace Hancock for his radio shows and Hancock is reduced to doing commercials.

These 2 cd's contain brilliant written comedy and is performed by the best comedy radio team ever assembled.

Machine Washable Red Black Heavy Quality Non Slip Hard Wearing Barrier Mat. Available in 8 sizes (60cm x 180cm (Runner))
Offered by Rugs Supermarket (Dispatched Within 12 Hours)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at bargain prices, 28 Mar. 2015
I bought two of these runners for my new flat and have not been disappointed with the quality of the products. Runners have good grip so you will not slip and the red/black design is stylish without shouting at you.

Delivery was of at a time of my convenience and had decent packaging. For the price paid and having the convenience of free delivery, together with the quality of runners I have no problem in recommending this purchase with five stars.

Linens Limited Polycotton Hollowfibre Non-Allergenic Pillows, 2 Pack
Linens Limited Polycotton Hollowfibre Non-Allergenic Pillows, 2 Pack
Offered by Linens Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for those on a budget, 21 Feb. 2015
Pillows are as good as could be expected at these prices, especially considering the advantage of having them delivered. You always want pillows to be thicker stuffed in my experience no matter where you buy them, but these are good enough for the price paid.

A good purchase if you are on a tight budget.

Linens Limited Value Range Polypropylene Hollowfibre Anti-Allergy Duvet/Quilt, 7.5 Tog, Single
Offered by Linens Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with product at bargain price, 21 Feb. 2015
Good quality duvet which provided the warmth, comfort and lightness of weight that I was hoping to get with this purchase. At the bargain price paid including the fast delivery - arrived two days after ordering - I am pleased with the product.

Buy with confidence.