Profile for ravenflowers > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Ikea 'Socker' Mini Indoor Tabletop Steel Frame Greenhouse
Ikea 'Socker' Mini Indoor Tabletop Steel Frame Greenhouse
Offered by 12-babyline

4.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable windowsill house for my tropical plants., 20 Mar. 2015
It fits perfectly on a kitchen windowsill. I bought it as a "Tropical" house for my coffee and orchid plants. There is still plenty of room, even though I have added a young tea camellia and a young cinnamon plant. The reason I didn't make it five stars is because the lifting roof hatches don't fit snugly down so it is more difficult to keep the high humidity my plants like. I'm not sure if I haven't fitted it together properly or whether it is part of the design.

A Matter of Temperance (The Adventures of Ichabod Temperance Book 1)
A Matter of Temperance (The Adventures of Ichabod Temperance Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlikely Heroes., 18 Feb. 2015
A Matter of Temperance introduces us to a world of the 1800s after the Earth has passed through the tail of an amazing Revelatory Comet which enhances natural talents. Ichabod Temperance and Miss Plumtartt make a unlikely pair of heroes. Using their comet enhanced skills, they travel from London to Tibet (via San Francisco) to fight the Evil which has also been enhanced by the Comet and is engulfing the world. The book has a slow start with a lot of back story, but if you are prepared to plough through it is an exciting and engaging read. With Book 2 now on my kindle I hope Mr Temperance will skip over the explanations straight to the meat of the tale.

Dolls House Taps and U Bend Waste Pipe 1:12 Scale
Dolls House Taps and U Bend Waste Pipe 1:12 Scale
Offered by Rushall Dolls House

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 11 Feb. 2015
Absolutely what I needed for my refurbishment project on my dolls house. They arrived before the estimated date. I started small to check the quality of the product, but now I am reassured I will continue using this supplier

The Curate's Brother: A Jane Austen Variation of Persuasion
The Curate's Brother: A Jane Austen Variation of Persuasion

4.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Story, 20 Jan. 2015
The Curate's Brother is set 8 years before Persuasion and shows us the circumstances of why Anne Elliot rejected Frederick Wentworth. But it was really the story of Commander Wentworth's brother - a likeable and hard-working young curate. The story of how Mr Edward Wentworth wooed and won his wife amid the backdrop of his brother's doomed affair. In the first few pages I noted places where I felt the editing needed tightening, but after that I got so caught up in the story I finished the book in one sitting. While I was sad to read the failure of Frederick's and Anne's romance, the love affair between Edward and Sally Marshall was charming.
I received this book as a prize during Indie Author's Appreciation Week.

Eyes in the Twilight
Eyes in the Twilight

4.0 out of 5 stars The story wants to be longer, 27 Sept. 2014
A mysterious man tries to rescue Beautiful Boston Lass, Verity. Trouble is she has already rescued herself. It leads to an interesting romance and they also save the day against a treasonous plot.
The story wanted to be longer and that led to some clunky revelations and transitions, but once the Grand Ball started these had been ironed out and the story ran to a smooth and satisfying conclusion.
I would like to see what this author could do with a longer story. I will keep an eye out.

The Calgary Chessman
The Calgary Chessman

5.0 out of 5 stars but I've enjoyed other books by the same publisher so I gave ..., 16 Aug. 2014
This isn't my usual genre, but I've enjoyed other books by the same publisher so I gave it a go. Cas Longmore and her son Sam have a 'growing summer' together, six months after the messy divorce from her abusive husband. A chance archeological find of a medieval chess piece on her home island of Mull engages the attention of teenage Sam. The joint enjoyment of pursuing the history of the piece brings them together and help heal the wounds in their relationship.

Five stars although it's not my usual genre because the book caught my interest quickly and held me to the end - even to the point of reading at the table. I'm looking forward to reading more books from this new author.

Nice Girls Don't
Nice Girls Don't

5.0 out of 5 stars Gently Compelling, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Nice Girls Don't (Kindle Edition)
A librarian helping a young man research his family's past makes disturbing discoveries in her own family history, leading to a happy and peaceful ending. This gentle story was compelling enough to distract me when my aeroplane behaved as if it was on a roller coaster. A better than average holiday read.

The Ghostly Father
The Ghostly Father

5.0 out of 5 stars Always knew Shakespeare got it wrong, 1 Mar. 2014
I hated the ending of Romeo and Juliet, even while I knew they had to die to bring peace. But why couldn't it happen another way? The blurb intrigued me. The young couple had to die to bring peace, it would take a miracle for peace to happen any other way. Well, Divine Providence works in mysterious ways.

In The Ghostly Father, Barnard tells me what really happened in a Verona and finally made the story complete for me. Thank you.

Web-tex High Strength Fabric Olive Green Tape - 10m
Web-tex High Strength Fabric Olive Green Tape - 10m
Offered by Macallen Importers

4.0 out of 5 stars Not military, 17 Feb. 2014
I understand this is usually a military product but I needed a fabric tape to repair my Christmas tree and this was perfect for the job. It replaced some feeble embroidery thread lashing that kept the branches together and now I can hope that the tree will last for a great number of years. And I've still got plenty of tape left for future problems.

The Dragon Ring (#1 The Harper Errant Series)
The Dragon Ring (#1 The Harper Errant Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars midsummer night's dream, 31 Dec. 2013
In this age of 'blockbuster' style books where the author grabs you by the throat and hurls you headlong into the story, I had forgotten the older style of writing. One where the author gradually builds up the story until you don't even notice that you are trapped by the storytelling.

I admit I haven't had much time to read a slower-style story in a long time but over Christmas life slowed down and I was rewarded by a marvellous interweaving of history and fiction. I was left, not with the clawing need to know more about the main character, but thoroughly satisfied by the way he had solved the puzzle.

Secara gave me a comfortable, old-fashioned enjoyment of reading.

Page: 1 | 2