Profile for R. Mulder > Reviews

Content by R. Mulder

R. Mulder "Ross" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
H & L Russel Ltd Jumbo Bag, Taupe with Harvest Green Trim
H & L Russel Ltd Jumbo Bag, Taupe with Harvest Green Trim
Offered by SelectiveGoods
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality. Utter waste of money, 11 May 2014
I would strongly advise anyone considering buying this to spend your money elsewhere. This item is incredibly flimsy, and unless you pack it with marshmallows and angel farts, the handles will pull right off the minute you try to move the bag anywhere.
The photo gives you the misleading impression that the bottom and sides are supported and that the bag stands up on its own. It doesn't. There is no support whatsoever, and the only way to make it look like the picture would be to pack a cardboard box into it.

Absolute cheap rubbish, and I'm incredibly angry that I've wasted money on a few of these.

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 6 May 2014
I was a *huge* fan of Jonasson's first novel, and put this one in my pre-orders as soon as I knew he had a new novel coming out. Unfortunately, I'm finding myself completely underwhelmed by his second effort.

He seems to be writing from a formula, and I'm finding the rhythm and feel far too similar to the first novel. Furthermore - and perhaps being South African myself has led to this sense of humour failure - I find it extremely insulting and condescending that every white South African is depicted as being stupid and racist.

I would honestly recommend that you go out and buy "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" immediately, and then pretend that this second novel doesn't exist.

Note: I'm only midway through the novel at the moment, but felt strongly enough about my disappointment to write this review now. I reserve the right to amend this review once I've completed the story. I'm not expecting it to suddenly improve, however.

Games Power Dual Charge Controller Dock (Xbox One)
Games Power Dual Charge Controller Dock (Xbox One)
Price: 15.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but only if you have two controllers, 11 Feb 2014
This is a nice little product, but suffers from one major flaw. If you only have one controller, as I do, then it is impossible to charge the loose battery while you are playing.

There are products out there that allow you to charge a loose battery, so I rather wish I'd got one of those instead, but other than this, I don't have any complaints about the product.

Rear Motorcycle Paddock Stand ConStands Racing for Suzuki GSR 600/ 750/ GSX 1250 F/ FA/ GSX-R 1000
Offered by BS-Motoparts Store
Price: 45.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but..., 6 Nov 2013
The little rubber things on the ends of the metal hooks fall off within minutes of starting to use the stand. I had to glue them on to get them to stay put. I also had to physically pull the ends open to get the stand to fit my GSX R1000, which was annoying, since this was supposed to be specifically for my model.
And finally, I don't think it's long enough for decent leverage, as it is extremely hard to lift the bike up onto the stand. I have seen two ladies try to use the stand and they can't do it. Even I have trouble when trying to operate it on my own.

Other than these issues, the stand itself is pretty sturdy, and does the job once you manage to wrestle your bike up on it.

Warning Signs [Explicit]
Warning Signs [Explicit]
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The most exciting band to make an appearance in years, 6 Nov 2013
I accidentally stumbled onto my first Timeflies song on a popular YouTuber's channel (as the outro music on all his videos), and it drove me to start looking for other music by Timeflies. Within a few days, I'd downloaded everything I could find, and was soon off to see them at there first ever mini-concert in London.

These guys are great. Addictive tunes, great connectivity with their fans, and they're going to go very far. Look out for their "Timeflies Tuesdays" series on YouTube.

XSories U-Shot Extension Arm for Camera - Orange
XSories U-Shot Extension Arm for Camera - Orange
Offered by SurfSurfSurf North Devon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good piece of equipment. Could be a little longer, 25 May 2013
A very useful piece of equipment. I use this with my Contour Roam action camera, and have got some fantastic footage of me cave diving in Mexico. I've also taken it out on an ATV and snorkelling with whale sharks. So far it has been brilliant. My only niggles and concerns are:
1. It could be a little longer, perhaps by the addition of another segment, or by lengthening the existing segments. Even in wide angle, I found I wasn't able to get myself entirely in shot.
2. I'm a bit unsure of the longevity of this product. The mounting head is attached to the pole with a metal ball, which is squeezed between two pieces of perspex by means of a perspex wingnut. It just doesn't look strong enough to last for very long, particularly if you need to change the camera angle frequently.

These two concerns are my only reasons for giving the product 4 out of 5 stars. In every other respect, it is terrific.

Motorcycle Paddock Stand ConStands Front Fork for Suzuki GSX 1100 F, GSX 1100 G, GSX 1200, GSX 1250 F/ FA, GSX 1400, GSX 600/ 650 F, GSX 750/ F, GSX-R 1000/ 1100, 600, 750
Offered by BS-Motoparts Store
Price: 40.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice piece of kit, 25 May 2013
This stand is a million times better than one of those 'universal' front paddock stands, where the forks sit on 'cup' on the stand. I lost count of the number of times my bike fell off the old stand. If it had done so with the wheel off, I would have had some rather expensive damage.

This stand, on the other hand, slots easily into the holes at the bottom of the forks, and lifting the wheel is an absolute breeze compared to the old stand.

The only reason I'm giving 4 stars rather than 5 is because there is a fair amount of sideways 'wiggle' when the bike is on the stand. It's not enough to in danger of falling off, but I guess more expensive stands of this type might be more solid. I'd say this is an excellent mid-price stand.

EDIT: I'm revising my rating down from 4 stars to 3 because of the following problem. In addition to the slightly wobbly feel of the stand with the bike up on it, I have just discovered that it doesn't lift the bike high enough for the wheel to be removed. I have had to get friends to lift the front of the bike higher to get the loose wheel out from under the mudguard, then drop it back onto the stand. This would make solo wheel changes impossible.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful buying these, 3 May 2013
I suspect these trousers may be for women, because the 'Large' size is absolutely not a proper Large size, and the leg length is far too short. I would say that these are not even a Medium, as I couldn't even get the button done up. What's worse, is that the seller is happy to refund me for the purchase, but is insisting that I pay for the return postage. I am currently disputing this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 9:37 PM BST

Gears of War: Judgement (Xbox 360)
Gears of War: Judgement (Xbox 360)
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Gears is given the Angry Birds treatment, 26 Mar 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Like many others, I'm sad to say that this game isn't great. It's diverting enough for a few hours, but it's certainly not worth paying full price for, and if, like me, you buy Gears for the campaign and hardly ever venture into multiplayer, then it's far too short and a rip-off.

I'd like to discuss the annoying three star system introduced into this game. Why the developers felt the need to turn this into Angry Birds is beyond me. I want to play the game and enjoy the storyline. I do NOT want to have some arbitrary goal to reach at every checkpoint. This ruins the flow of the game. Oh, and if you do want to get all the stars, then you are forced into doing the `Declassified' missions. Great, so this adds a level of complexity to the missions, but it only detracts from the story, and it feels gimmicky. Not to mention that on some of the missions I spent so long trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing, that my AI team mates just went ahead and killed everybody for me.

And why Baird? In all the other games, he was a mildly irritating nonentity. I can only assume that the only reason he was never killed off in the previous games was because nobody would have cared. So I really don't understand why he has suddenly received top billing in this disappointing chapter.

With regards to the controls, weapon switching has been made slightly quicker, but at the expense of being able to carry a primary, secondary and pistol. This sucks, because I used to enjoy using the pistol from time to time (particularly the Boltok and Gorgon pistols for long range headshots, or when ammo for my primary is running low), but not if it means I only get one other decent weapon to carry. In this game, I have only used the pistols when forced to do so in a `Declassified' mission. Pity.

Finally, I hate the spelling of `Judgment'. Even though it's not technically incorrect, it just looks wrong.

TomTom GO LIVE 820 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
TomTom GO LIVE 820 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
Price: 114.48

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely problematic, 16 Jan 2013
Having decided to risk it, after reading many negative reviews for this product, and thinking that based on my past experience with TomTom it should be ok, I have to say I'm very disappointed.

Like many others who have given the unit poor reviews, I found that it cannot stay connected to satellites. On any journey, it will spend more time searching for satellites than actually connected to any. It is completely unusable in this state. I have followed the advice of TomTom customer services, but it has not resolved the situation, and the unit is now being returned to Amazon for a replacement.
If the replacement functions as it should, my rating will be increased to 3 stars (due to the initial hassle), but if not, it will also be returned and a full refund requested.

It should be noted that the device was attached to the dashboard of our car in the same place as we have always placed the old TomTom One, and my newer Garmin Nuvi, so the problem does not lie with our choice of mounting point.

(As an aside, I see that the product is currently under review by Amazon. I think that Amazon should offer the more expensive model for no extra charge to customers who have been dissatisfied with this model.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2013 11:41 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2