Profile for T. Nguyen > Reviews

Content by T. Nguyen

T. Nguyen (East Midlands, UK)

Belkin AV Digital Optical Audio Cable 3.6m
Belkin AV Digital Optical Audio Cable 3.6m

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply works!, 24 Oct. 2008
The male jack of this cable doesn't fit tightly with the female port on my Logitech Z5500 speakers. I am not sure if it is the fault of the cable or the speaker. Anyway, it doesn't cause any problem, as I can insert a small piece of paper between them to tighten the plugging. Apart from this issue, the cable is working perfectly!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2009 3:34 PM GMT

Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended sound card for laptops!, 24 Oct. 2008
I bought this sound card from Amazon to use with my Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround speakers and my HP laptop. I am using the system mostly for high-quality (lossless) music and movies, but never tried with games. At the moment, the sound card simply works with all functions it is advertised for.

The only lie on the advert of this product is the EASE to set it up. Yes, I agree that it is pretty easy to get analog sound from this sound card (taking about 10 minutes or so). But it took me a week to pass "true" digital 5.1 DTS/Dolby sound through TOSLINK optical port of this card from the laptop to the speakers. (For those who care about tackling this SPDIF issue, the trick I figured out is so simple: go to Creative support site, download and install ALL updates available.)

I see some users complain about the CMSS 5.1 sound simulation of the card. Yes, most of the time it works quite okay, but sometime it provides distorted and unbalanced sound when used to upmix stereo to 5.1. But I really don't care much about this CMSS function, as I don't need "fake" 5.1 sound coming from low-quality stereo MP3s but always use high bitrate .dts files or DVDs.

So, if you have a good 5.1 sound system and a laptop, just buy this sound card. It is really cheap though, for the price of about £35.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2009 12:12 AM GMT