Profile for S. Turnbull > Reviews

S. Turnbull (Durham, UK)

War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005]
War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise

1.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Disc Review: Mr.Spielberg Doesn't Understand HD!, 29 Oct. 2010
This is a review of the Blu-ray disc quality only!
Firstly I'd like to say that I really like this film (OK, up until the point where Tim Robbins enters the story and then it all goes flat!)
I own the single DVD release, the double DVD release and now the BD. I have read many reviews on the poor quality of this transfer but decided to ignore them and see for myself (Big mistake!) I ignored the warnings because I bought a film recently called Near Dark on BD, after reading mixed reviews, some of them commenting on the poor, grainy quality of the picture. Having played it myself I was very happy with the quality of the transfer, both in day and night scenes.
WOTW however, is a very different story. Now I know that the film is 'supposed' to look like this but come on, this is a travesty. This is not what High Definition is all about! The picture is so grainy that I played the DVD version at the same time to compare the two and I have to say that although there isn't much difference between the two, the indoor scenes looked slightly better on the DVD version! I was using an upscaling DVD player vs a BD player, both using exactly the same HDMI cables on a 50" Full HD Plasma TV, switching between the two.
So, if you have this movie on DVD and are thinking about 'upgrading' to BD then my advice would be, DON'T. At least not yet, there's always the slim chance that Spielberg, Paramount or DreamWorks SKG may release an enhanced version (more revenue anyone?) sometime in the future, as happened recently with the film Predator when they released the Ultimate Hunter Edition. We can only hope!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2012 1:43 PM BST

Mirrors [Blu-ray] [2008]
Mirrors [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Kiefer Sutherland

3.0 out of 5 stars Not One For The Grain Haters!, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Mirrors [Blu-ray] [2008] (Blu-ray)
This is a review of Disc Quality for the movie MIRRORS on Blu-ray Region B (UK)
I bought this BD as an 'upgrade' from my girlfriend's DVD version and was very disappointed! Not with the actual movie (you can read plenty of other reviews on the movie itself here on Amazon) but with the quality of the HD transfer. If you're a 'grain-hater' like me, then this disc will annoy you! I watched ZULU on BD recently and was blown away by the quality of the picture, yet Mirrors was only released around 2yrs ago and the picture is barely an improvement on the DVD version! If they can do it with an old film like Zulu then why are discs like Law Abiding Citizen & Mirrors so grainy?
If you already own this film on DVD and are thinking of upgrading to Blu-ray for picture quality reasons, then I wouldn't advise doing so!

Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sheri Moon Zombie

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Movie - Terrible Quality (Blu-Ray), 4 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Halloween II [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Firstly, I'd like to say that this has to be the worst quality Blu-Ray movie that I've seen so far!
Honestly, it's so grainy I've downloaded movies from the net which are better quality than this!
Then there's the movie itself.., I really wanted to like this film but I was so disappointed that if I could have put zero stars I would have done! Not a patch on the original. I'd put this in the same catagory as the remakes of Friday The 13th, The Hitcher and My Bloody Valentine - That category being...
'Don't Bother - Simply Buy The Originals Instead'
If you're of a 'certain age' (40 something like me!) and you're a fan of the original Halloween movies (like me!!) then you'll hate this remake (like me!!)
I've found episodes of Supernatural more scary, I'm going to watch Jamie Lee Curtis scream instead!
Rob Zombie hang your head in shame, John Carpenter you most certainly are not!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2010 1:37 PM GMT