Profile for RobinG > Reviews

Content by RobinG

RobinG (Woking, Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
JVC GZ-GX1BEK Everio Full HD Memory Digital Camcorder - Black (10MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.5 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing for price, 21 Oct. 2013
I needed a new camcorder to replace a failed 5 year old JVC that had given sterling service. Decided to stick with JVC and after a lot of research (had to do it quickly) I settled on this one. However I needed to get it in a hurry before leaving for a planned trip to Thailand where I had worked for many years before retiring.
Unfortunately the Amazon seller (Harmonica) who had the best price was away at the critical time I needed to get it, so because of time restraint I had to source it elsewhere which Sad that the Amazon seller was away but they still have it available so go for it as this really is a superb piece of kit. Picture quality is superb, the screen being 3.5 inches is much easier to use and the touch screen easier than my old button operated JVC one . Some reviews on other sites say menu system is hard but I did't find this the case. Setting up wifi connection to my tablet and phone was pretty easy and is very handy to control and view remotely. (app needs to be downloaded bit confusing which one but is is the vers 2 one)Connection can be made direct using camera as WiFi hotspot or via internet, once registered on the JVC site It was all pretty quick and easy to do, Using the internet connection there is bit of time lag. I thought the remote wifi thing was a but of a gimmick but actually it is very useful. Other JVC cameras have this, so does this one stand out? bigger screen 3.5 inches, full HD as well as interlaced HD. Flash to use when taking still digital pictures, filter mount, anti shake, wide angle lens. Cheaper JVC ones seemed just too small, this one I find comfortable to use.
Being able to use lens filter is plus - helps protect lens when in use.
Some features are gimicky- add on glasses to faces etc pet motion detector. Strange they should put this in to a semi pro camera!
All in all so far worth extra cost over the cheaper ones.
Just a few extra comments back from trip. Supplied battery isn't really big enough so extra battery is a must. Flash for digital pics is big help. Low light level on video & digital is superb. Better than by digital SLR. Video quality is amazing.
All in all I am very pleased. Well worth the extra price over the other JVC models to get the extra features

Omron HN283 Electronic Digital Personal Bathroom Scale
Omron HN283 Electronic Digital Personal Bathroom Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 July 2013
My bought Salter bathroom scales but found (like many other ones) that the weight was not accurate.
We discovered these and they are easy to use, seem to be pretty accurate and a good clear display.
Even though only showing kilos - its far better to have something accurate and clear to read rather than kg/lbs/stones which is way off.
Very pleased with these

Samson Mb1 Mini Boom Stand
Samson Mb1 Mini Boom Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for heavier studio condenser mics, 7 July 2013
I was looking for a stand I could use on my desktop to support a Rode or Samson studio mic for video editing. Most stands have a small base and so tend to topple over. This one does the job perfect. The triangular (rather than round) base makes it easier to position, but the base is heavy enough to handle my mics without the boom toppling over.
Its good quality, boom itself is telescoping so easy to adjust. Absolutely perfect for what I needed.

NERO 12 Platinum (PC)
NERO 12 Platinum (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Try Roxio, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: NERO 12 Platinum (PC) (CD-ROM)
I have nero and Rozio as I have several PC's. I usec to like Nero but this version the more I try to use it the more irritated I get. It is a real pigs ear. Trying to cram in qall thigns to all peopel then makes simpe tasks very difficult to find. Earielr version of Nero worked great, easy to use (sort of) reasonable stable.
This one I dislike mnore and more.
Not stable, free dowloads inpossible to download (run up scripting error)
Main program refuses to run unless you have internet conection active.
Confusing to find straighforward tasks

I have found the latest vesrion of Roxio easier to use, this version of Nero has been a total waste of money. I opted for the platium version - greater waste of money

To any one who thinks I am paid by Rosio: sorry this is my OWN OPTION based on comparing both products side by side in day to day tasks, so please dont post replies like someone who made the outrageous suggestion I had been paid by Microsoft when I compared the 2 different version of Office suite 2013/365. These RE product reviews to help potential buyers make an informed choice.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 11:01 PM BST

Laughter in Court - The Case of Mary Anne Butler
Laughter in Court - The Case of Mary Anne Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 1 May 2013
Not long but hilarious account of a hilarious Irish railway that struggled to provide a semblance of a service - but failed miserably to do so. The West Clare Railway was always a joke at the best of times and this and its companion really bring it alive.

My 50 Years as a Southern Railwayman
My 50 Years as a Southern Railwayman

4.0 out of 5 stars Interersting account of railway life, 1 May 2013
I enjoyed this, made a contrast to the boozing adventures of another railway biography I recently read. I would have liked a bit more about his time on the IoW Steam railway and also a bit more the affect of privatisation.

Home Accountz 2012 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Home Accountz 2012 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Offered by Kryonet Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts off OK but reporting can be a problem, 8 Mar. 2013
I managed to get this set up and entering data is not the most straightforward but once you get round its quirks it does work oK.
any 2 dates.

trying to get reports is not always obvious. For intsance trying to print out just one months report from a bank account. there is a filter option but gettign it to work is not always easy or obvious. There are a couple of pre-defined filters. At first I coudl only find options for start and finish dates but intially the only options shown were ewual or greater than or greater than for the start & equal & less than fr the end date. with only an OR option. Of course these cancelled each other and bought in entries was Jan and Mar instead of february. It was only after a lot of frustration I disovered extra options in teh drop down list (under 2 grayed out options) which had the between option. This did the trick. Initially there was no indication there were MORE options hidden in the drop down list. So -always remember to scroll down any drop down list and see if there are hidden entries that are not obviously evident!

The reports in the easy button are very limited and there doesn;t seem to be ably way to add your own

I bought the Dummies guide but even this doesn't always help a lot especially when help is REALLY needed.

Overall the program is very helpful for keeping track of personal expenses but I used to find Ms Money a whole lot easier and intuative.
There are many things in Accountz which work well but they are not always as untuative or easy to do as they shoudl be - but if you persevere it usually can be done!

Philibert Routin Syrup Mini - Irish Cream
Philibert Routin Syrup Mini - Irish Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice product, 13 Feb. 2013
Give a really nice different flavour to coffee. Makes the next best thing to an authentic Irish with out the cost or alcohol content of whisky.
Does have a sickly sweet taste of some flavourings.

Laughter in Court - Percy French v West Clare Railway
Laughter in Court - Percy French v West Clare Railway

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 6 Feb. 2013
Although a short book it is worth the price. A hilarious gem based on a true story. Really brings out the nature o the old narrow gauge railways that were so much a part of Irish life in the past

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013, License Card, 1 User (PC)
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013, License Card, 1 User (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars RIP Microsoft office AND Microsoft, 2 Feb. 2013
When I saw this I though hey I'll give it a try UNTIL that is I saw the price and the fact the so called home and student is only ONE licence as against the 3 for office 2010 AND the price has increased so it is effectively a 400% increase. This couple with the download price of Windows 8 shooting up from £25 to £190 as from 1st Feb.
And that that the office 2013 has to be download, is totally absolute locked in to one PC or laptop and document have to to be saved to this mythical cloud.

One wonders at the sanity of Microsoft. Do they really think that users are such idiots they would fall for this? They seem to be shooting themselves in BOTH feet. In this day and age with Apple on the ascendancy Linux getting better and better free or reasonable priced well specified alternative office products increasing it beggars belief they could be so utterly crassly stupid to think that any sensible user is going to pay this grossly inflated price for such badly implemented products that are a downgrade form existing ones. I for one would not even bother to waste the time to download a trial version of this. what would be the point of wasting time & effort when to purchase it is SO expensive, SO limited. Not worth the bother
The rate Microsoft are going I seriously wonder how many more years they will be around. They need to look at recent history and see similar blunder by other dominant software players. Remember Ashton-Tate (dBase), Lotus (1-2-3 spreadsheet) & others all brought down by a similar arrogant attitudes to the users and predatory pricing. Microsoft seem to be going the same way -

This is the first review I have ever done on software I haven't used! However the pricing (400%) the ridiculousness locked in to one PC policy and it is a total 100% non-starter. I much prefer to review software I can and do use. Its Windows 7 and Office 2010 for me for the foreseeable future. Actually I use Wordperfect office X5 office and in many ways prefer this to Microsoft Office 2010 anyway. It has some nice features that office 2010 doesn't have (proper menus, reveal codes, better columns etc)
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 8:48 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5